Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Predicting 2018 Starters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Predicting 2018 Starters

Dec 26, 2017, 8:56 PM

Sorry, lot of time on my hands. Bowl games not keeping my interest.

Predicting Offensive Departures of: Zerrick transfer, Deon, Hyatt, Hearn

OL- Anchrum
OL- Simpson
OL- Falcinelli
OL- Cervenka
OL- Pollard
RB- Etienne
WR- Renfrow
WR- Ray Ray
WR- Higgins
TE- Williams
QB- Bryant

Predicting Defensive Departures of: Ferrell, Bryant, Joseph, Fields, Sterling Transfer

DE- Yeargin
DT- Lawrence
DT- Wilkins
DE- Xavier Thomas
LB- Tre
LB- Chad Smith
LB- Skalski
CB- Mullen
CB- Terrell
S- Simmons
S- Wallace

K- Huegel
P- Spiers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Predicting 2018 Starters

Dec 26, 2017, 9:04 PM

So you think Christian stays and Ferrell & A Bryant bolt ? I was hoping to keep 1 of 3, but figured it would be one of the DE's. Any inside info on Christian? I've seen him mocked as high as #5 overall...

I also question if RayRay will stay. Think Overton will be in the mix too

Dec 26, 2017, 9:04 PM

I see Carman and KJ starting as well, Yeargin's injury was said to be worse than William's neck injury and he might not get to see the field until late spring and Carman is just elite, but then again I'll sit back and listen to the coaches tell me if I'm right or wrong come spring.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:09 PM

Do not count out Foster, Kelly, and Rudolph. Along with Register.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

carman will definitely start

Dec 26, 2017, 9:05 PM

Go ahead and put Pinckney or Huggins at DT cause Wilkins is gone.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:09 PM

No inside info. My gut says Wilkins loves college and may come back for one more year despite the NfL draw.

Just not sure Bryant and Ferrell can improve their stock by staying another year.

I dont think KJ will be physically strong enough year one, needs a solid year in the program.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:08 PM

Honestly I think BT Potter wins the kicking job. Dude has a leg and is very accurate

Dec 26, 2017, 9:10 PM

Huegel would have to be beat by a wide margin in the spring/fall to lose the job. A proven and game tested kicler is gold.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:13 PM

Point taken my friend. I think Hugel will start but come year end still think BT starts. I may be wrong and they redshirt him but I think he’s way to good to be red shirted

Dec 26, 2017, 9:15 PM

Depends on how Huegel recovers. I doubt it is easy for a kicker to come back from an acl.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:20 PM

Yea it could be a tough road in that aspect. Does anyone know if BT is an early enroll?

Dec 26, 2017, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

No, he will have to take a year to get some good coaching. I've been to practically every South Pointe game in the past 3 years and he's a little inconsistent still on accuracy in comparison to Huegel. But kid has crazy leg talent, can already kick farther than Huegel now and has yet to get to school. He needs to get a bit more accurate but will start definitely in 2 years. I believe he will be KOS next year though

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 9:11 PM

Wilkins and O’Daniel will leave too. Gonna be tough on offense. In that respect, I think you may see Trevor emerge as qb. Think you may have too and here’s why. I think the offense is going to have to play more like DW4 last year.

The reverse from this year where D was awesome and offensive we could be conservative and play field position. Next year we’ll have a young and inexperienced D. They’ll be good but just think we’ll have to outscore teams and beat them down ala DW4 last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 9:13 PM

We average not even 4 points less than last year so what are you talking about?

Dec 26, 2017, 9:18 PM

every offensive stat is less this year, except ypc for our running backs. average less yards per play, pass attempt, yards per game, points per game, plays per game

Dec 26, 2017, 9:27 PM

We score a td 75.5% of the time in the red zone this year. Last year it was 60%.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

We had 28 turnovers last year and only 14 this year. I don't think we have 14 more in 2 games.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

It is less but not by much. Add in the fact that we have way less turnovers and are more efficient our O this year is doing well enough to carry a decent D. It is not like our D last year was bad anyways and our D next year will not be bad.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

Yeah, I know what you’re saying about the numbers but our D was the reason we had the numbers this year. You had to have something go wrong last year for us to go 3 and out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 9:31 PM

We went 3 and out last year plenty of times.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

We went 3 and out last year plenty of times. Our D gives up. 3 yards less per play this year and our O gains .2 yards per play less. Such a huge difference.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:12 PM

Hopefully Shaq can get a lot of PT next year if he is ready. I think he may start at SAM. We are loaded at LB but do we have anybody like O'Daniel?

Dec 26, 2017, 9:27 PM

Not the way he’s played this year. Been awesome. Not sure what he graded each game but it had to be phenomenal.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:40 PM

Oh he has been amazing. I mean his skill set. Who at LB is most like him? I know he is his own kind if special but I wonder who could be most like him as in being all around great. Coverage, stopping the run, reading the screen. He can do it all and with speed and strength.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:15 PM

Great initial list! (And yes, these bowl games leave a lot to be desired). Here are a couple wrenches I will throw in:

Offense:
I think Jackson Carman comes in and wins the starting LT spot
I think we will see Feaster/Etienne co-starters
Milan Richard will keep his job at TE
We will see as much Amari as we do Ray Ray

Defense:
Wilkins is gone and Huggy Bear will step up
I would not be surprised to see Bryant return but it will be Yeargin and XT of not
Joseph comes back and starts beside Tre and Skalski
Muse isn’t going away. I think Wallace goes to nickel, but we will be as deep as ever at DB

The return game is going to be nuts with Rodgers, Ray Ray, Etienne, Powell, etc...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 9:18 PM

I love Powell but he hasn't gotten any chances lately at KOR or WR.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

Agree. Think Amari has already passed him.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:44 PM

Yep it sucks because he is one of my favorite but the coaches know what they are doing. Hopefully next year he gets some PT and shows out.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:04 PM

Point is, we have so many options in the return game it is crazy. I agree with you guys, but Powell may see the return game as his most viable option to contribute and make a name, so I do not doubt him if he focuses there.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:09 PM

He does have the talent and would take some work load off of ETN and Feastmode. He started the year at KOR but they took over.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

Rodgers is going to be GREAT!

Dec 26, 2017, 9:16 PM

I still think feaster starts next year, don't sleep on him, gonna have a great year in 2018

Dec 26, 2017, 9:21 PM

DOD is a senior.

Not sure I agree. Bryant (especially after gaining CFP experience) will be virtually impossible to beat out- especially if we win it this year as i expect us to.

Best RB group since Spiller/Davis. Lyn J is the real deal as 3/4th string.

Also, i disagree the D takes much of a step back depending on departures. If we assume we lose 2 of 3- we still have great depth adding Xavier Foster and Kelly to our rotation.

I think our Secondary will be even stronger with Terrell and Mullen and Wallace and Simmons being as good as weve seen at each level.

Lastly. No way Milan beats out a healthy G Williams. That kid is a wrecking ball. With our RBs and him blocking a zone read... ####

Dec 26, 2017, 9:50 PM

Yes our D will still be great. We do take a hit at DE but our boys may end up being as good or better. That seems to be the way it has been doing lately. We have so much talent and depth at LB and DB. May go from top 5 D to top 10 or 15. Will be fun and interesting to see how the DL does if we lose all 3 that could go. I think we see guys step up and show out. We will have a lot more depth at DE.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:14 PM

I don't see our D falling, sure we will lose some players but that happens every year and we remain strong. we have a great scheme and I just don't see the D regressing

Dec 26, 2017, 10:19 PM

Agreed. It has not the last 3 years and we have lost guys. No reason to believe it will next year. Go Tigers. New faces, same dominance on the DL. Year in and year out we have NFL talent. We lost Vic and Grady them Shaq Dodd and Reader, Watkins last year. We just reload.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

Milan has proven himself and has been dang good. I would think he starts but Williams will get snaps for sure. We do a great job rotating at TE.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:19 PM

Richard will be TE for sure but Williams get his snaps.

i don’t think Wilkins stays. If I was his trusted adviser I would

Dec 26, 2017, 9:31 PM

Tell him he’s done great things at Clemson and it’s time to move on. If he’s a top 10 pick which I suspect he will be he’d be gambling with millions of dollars to stay and risk injury. He’s done a lot for us. And outside being selfish there is no reason I would want him to stay.

Re: i don’t think Wilkins stays. If I was his trusted adviser I would

Dec 26, 2017, 9:35 PM

Completely agree id tell him to go, and I could easily be wrong. Just think he values this time in his life more than most.

Dec 26, 2017, 9:52 PM

That is true and he probably wants to stay but I just do not think he can.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: i don’t think Wilkins stays. If I was his trusted adviser I would ]

We lose more than 2-3 off D and I never said we’d have a bad D. Just inexperience at dL.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:29 PM

For sure. Good thing we have rotated a lot this year. Wonder who wins the starting DE spots if both leave. I would guess Yeargin and Register but Foster has played pretty good. Kelly and the freshman have talent. DT we are solid. Plenty of depth and experience from this year with Dex being hurt some.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:46 PM

You’re right. Have to wait and see about Yeargin. I hope he pulls a Mike Williams and is able to come back without it nagging him and just don’t know.

Yes we have rotated guys but I just think after we beat bama, especially if it’s with dominating D, I feel we could have 5 declare and then fields Edmund and I’m thinking at least 1 more. We’ll lose Joseph, and you never know when van might get kicked out the game on targeting... just kinda kidding on that.

I’m not questioning the scheme and i really hope they’ll be better but just think we’ll be prone to blown assignments like last year... and may need an offense like DW4 that can score when we have to score to win.

Hard for me to explain. Stats can be made to show what you want but it’s that X factor .

Dec 26, 2017, 10:53 PM

Kb has been an x factor and has scored when he has had to. Turnovers last year made us have a lot of close games that DW did have to go win. This year KB does not turn it over so we are usually up double digits in the 4th quarter so he does not have to have a 4th quarter winning drive. When we needed scores against Auburn and NC St he got them though didn't he?

I think Muse could take DOD's spot

Dec 26, 2017, 10:26 PM

He's a big a guy, fast and a hard hitter. After a full off season of learning the position i think he could do it, at least in certain type of situations. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches experiment with this during spring ball

Re: I think Muse could take DOD's spot

Dec 26, 2017, 10:31 PM

Possible. I think he would be better at LB than S. He likes to hit and is not great in coverage but better than most LBs.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:26 PM

Carman will start at LT. Anchrum will be at RT and Pollard will move to RG.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:31 PM

Not worried about much drop.off on D if any. I'm pretty sure BV is still the DC and as long as that's the case we will be fine.

Dec 26, 2017, 10:49 PM

Nobody disputes that. I’m not saying they won’t be better.

Dec 27, 2017, 6:14 AM

I really have no idea who will be starting. I do however trust this staff to make the right calls on who plays and when. These coaches are top notch almost always making the right calls. The only calls I really had an issue with this year was when they started KB2, when he could barely walk in the Syracuse game...which left him defenseless against the pass rush. I'm sure they deep down knew that was a mistake, and could have costed us KB2 for the rest of the season. It also showed that they do not trust Cooper or HJ.

Dec 27, 2017, 6:28 AM

Here's the facts. Clemson is loaded with talent over both first and second strings. Dabo played it right, playing a TON of backups when he felt the game was won. Bryant will be the starter going into the spring. The spring is going to be fun to watch. I'm pretty confident we lose Wilkins off the DL. Huggy bear is ready to take his slot. THere is depth in Robinson, Pinkney and Johnson, Belk and Jefferies coming in will fight for reps but yes, they are still freshmen and NOT in the Wilkins/Lawrence mold just yet. Ends, you got Kelly, Foster, Yeargin returning but if we are lucky enough to keep either one, Bryant or Ferrell, then adding Thomas, Henry and Mascoll (probable redshirt???), then our DL will be strong again. Linebackers, Im hoping Joseph doesn't leave, Lamar is a flat out stud in the middle, Smith, Smith and Skalski are getting more and more experience, I fully expect Venables to redshirt, but he could be another addition to the special teams that has improved vastly over the last two years. Secondary is flat loaded.

Offensively, I think Hyatt stays, Falcenelli at center, Simpson and Anchryum working at guards, and Pollard and Jackson playing RT. Bockhorst, Dehond, Vinson, Reeves, Cervenka are all solid. I think McFadden definitely redshirts, and I can see the staff adding another OL in February. 2019 will see Clemson bring in 3 or 4 OL to continue to reload.
WRs and RBs are simply too loaded to try and discuss.

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2017, 6:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Predicting 2018 Starters ]

It's clear there are a lot of back-up players 'cycling in' for the '18 season. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Hands” Renfrow ???

Dec 27, 2017, 6:46 AM

I see him listed as returning ? Is that right ?

This is his 3rd year right ?

Re: “Hands” Renfrow ???

Dec 27, 2017, 7:00 AM

Hunter will be a rising senior, so he has one more year to go, the guy is truly a silent weapon. When you least expect it, he pops open.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic