Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Potential CFB rule changes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Potential CFB rule changes

Mar 19, 2019, 8:41 AM

The blindside rule is crazy to me. So if the end finds himself unblocked is he just supposed to just stand there?
With this rule in place both X in the Cuse game and Mullen in the NCG would've been penalized as both of those were blindside hits.
What say ye?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2019-03-01/football-rules-committee-proposes-modifying-targeting-protocols

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just going to make an already broken rule worse

Mar 19, 2019, 8:44 AM

The inconsistency of targeting calls will only get worse with this rule change

Re: Potential CFB rule changes

Mar 19, 2019, 8:44 AM

The rule I saw was talking about blindside "blocks". Also, I don't think either of the hits/tackles you mentioned were blindside.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 19, 2019, 8:52 AM

Ought to make baby Bentley happy. He may get a coaching job to teach kids how to do that fake Bentley flop.

IMO that’s all you’ll create with the rule when a player may come by and just touch you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The blindside is an offensive penalty - you are way off

Mar 19, 2019, 9:03 AM

This is for a block usually behind the play where I guy comes in late and destroys a guy looking the other way. YOu see it some on crack backs, but mostly on punt returns or on interceptions (after the defense becomes the offense with the catch).

There have been a ton of QB and OL that have been flattened on this type of play. The NFL tried to eliminate it years ago

Mar 19, 2019, 9:05 AM

I read that as blindside blocks, not tackling.

"The committee recommended a change in blind-side blocking technique. Players will not be allowed to deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact. It will be considered a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty. If the block also includes the elements of targeting, it will be a blind-side block with targeting."

If it is covering something like this

https://twitter.com/ClemsonEditz_/status/929479152259993600

I am ok with, but it was already called as targeting, so it seems like a moot point. More diluting of the game...

Mar 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

You are correct. Similar to when somebody is charged with murder and a hate crime is added on top. Murder sort of covers the worst case in most people’s eyes.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Potential CFB rule changes ]

That's the way I interpret the proposed rule change. It refers to the blocking by an offensive player and in no way prevents a defensive player from tackling the QB from the blind side. If the rule is to eliminate a blind side tackle, the committee is opening up a can of worms. If a RB is tackled from behind, isn't that a blind side tackle?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see the day.....

Mar 19, 2019, 9:18 AM

The fans pack into the stadium at Death Valley. The buses will come around from the locker room. At the top of the hill the team will exit the buses and the crowd will roar. The cannon fires and they all walk briskly down the hill to cheers.

As soon as the team gets to the sidelines every player will be handed a video game controller. The 600x1200 foot video screen over the hill will show who won the toss and who has the ball. Then Clemson's kicker will kick off. The crowd will cheer wildly watching the virtual Tigers playing virtual Florida State on the video screen. The virtual hits will be bone-crunching. At the end of the game, when Clemson finally wins 126-98 the fans will rush the field. Video game controllers will be tossed up in the air. Everyone will celebrate!

And absolutely no one will be injured. Things like hang nails, or hammer injuries, or a broken finger will be the injuries fans will watch for. But everyone will sleep well knowing no one was injured PLAYING the game. Even the most horrendous targeting hit, virtual as it is on the mammoth screen, will be perfectly safe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can see the day.....

Mar 19, 2019, 9:48 AM

You live in a fantasy land.

No way they will still let fans rush the field at that point!

Or this...

Oct 7, 2017, 6:39 AM [ in reply to I can see the day..... ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TAOD8prN1o

Mar 19, 2019, 9:38 AM

Blindside would be referring to hitting the quarterback on the backside of his body. XT's hit and TM's hits were both to the front of the body. Tua's blindside would be coming off of the left edge and dungy's would be coming off the right edge.

Mar 19, 2019, 9:47 AM

I understand the technical aspect of a blindside hit on a qb but are they referring to that or any hit where the opponent does not see the tackler/blocker?

No. 17 on this list....this guy makes it seems as if any hit where the opponent is not looking could draw a flag.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/25-things-for-spring-the-college-football-names-battles-and-storylines-you-need-to-know/

Mar 19, 2019, 11:27 AM

They are referring to a blocker, not a DE rushing the passer.

Watch these videos...they give a better idea what they are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_DRrWl4h4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjIrZ8L3pa4

Mar 19, 2019, 11:53 AM

Ok. The use of blindside threw me off there. So crack back blocks were made illegal last year if the blocker came in low back towards where the ball was snapped. I guess if this rule is approved ANY "blindside" block where the opponent isn't looking will result in a penalty.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic