Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pool closing at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Pool closing at Clemson

Jun 13, 2019, 2:38 PM

Please consider signing the petition to keep the pool at Fike open. Given the size and financial Clemson receives, we should be able to maintain or build a new pool for our students to enjoy. https://www.change.org/p/clemson-university-help-clemson-just-keep-swimming?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_16084075_en-US%3Av1&recruiter=970931062&recruited_by_id=f7b46390-8d82-11e9-b8b3-23355ede611b&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&share_bandit_exp=initial-16084075-en-US&share_bandit_var=v0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pool closing at Clemson

Jun 13, 2019, 2:45 PM

They have a whole lake to swim in and enjoy. The snowflakes don’t need a pool. They’re like idiots who drive all the way to the beach only to sit by the pool at their hotel. You can do that right in your own hometown. If you’re going to drive all the way to the ocean, then by golly get in it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hartwell is a bit nippy in February.

Jun 13, 2019, 3:11 PM

juss sayin'

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

pigs?***

Jun 13, 2019, 3:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: pigs?*** -LOL !! Good one

Jun 13, 2019, 8:55 PM

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflakes? How many times are you going to post this?

Jun 13, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Pool closing at Clemson ]

And when are you going to give it some thought before going straight to name calling?

I would like you to explain to me what makes the students who represent our university in water polo, swimming, etc on club teams, with zero scholarship money and some of the funding coming from their own pockets or fundraising activities, snowflakes for not fighting to keep their pool? What makes the other students who take water aerobics classes, swimming lessons, or swim laps for exercise, snowflakes for not wanting this taken away? I would love to watch you stand in front of the affected groups and explain the same thing, but you just sit behind your keyboard and hurl insults. Every student who has ever graduated from Clemson to this point has had access to a pool.

These club teams and wellness activities will have to either shut down or find a suitable location (at additional cost) to continue. And give me a break if your solution is to set up swimming lanes, timing mechanisms, and fixed goals out in Lake Hartwell. These students work hard and take pride in representing OUR university.

Why not just take Fike down altogether? There are plenty of perfectly good sidewalks to run on, and there are certainly gyms where students can plunk down their own money to work out or shoot a few hoops. For that matter, let's plow under the intramural fields and raze the library. Bowman field has plenty of room for students to recreate, and everybody has access to Google.

The University will probably spend more money "decommissioning" the pool than it costs to operate it for years.

Jun 13, 2019, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Pool closing at Clemson ]

What a ####

Who da F are the "snowflakes" sugar butt...?***

Jun 13, 2019, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Pool closing at Clemson ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The University Ridge pool was always nice in the summer.***

Jun 13, 2019, 2:57 PM

Jun 13, 2019, 4:57 PM

My daughter goes to Miami of Ohio. The pool there makes Fike look embarrassing in comparison. So do the pools at Bowling Green and even at tiny Baldwin Wallace. Schools now compete for students. Each student is paying a truckload of money to go to school, unlike the paltry sums we paid 30+ years ago. Clemson does need to close Fike and build a pool and student rec center for the 21st century.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 5:10 PM

Our pool needs work. It needed work when I swam for the university back in 89. Whether or not they keep Fike or build a new pool there should be no reason why a university the size of Clemson could not maintain a pool for the students. If the close it they should close Fike as it needs help all the way around. It’s very sad if we can support football like we do but not have a student facility with a pool. Too many activities center around the pool.

Nathan
93’.

Jun 13, 2019, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Pool closing at Clemson ]

Problem is - no talk of a new pool. That discussion ended with the swim team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In fairness, I am a Club Swim parent, but

Jun 13, 2019, 5:33 PM

that team did itself no favors a couple of years ago when they trashed a hotel at an away meet and got suspended for a semester.

My kid was on the team then, but was not at that particular meet.

Not saying that is why this is happening, but it certainly didn’t help.

Re: In fairness, I am a Club Swim parent, but

Jun 13, 2019, 6:49 PM

Same situation here (daughter was not at meet). I was referring to the D1 varsity team. There were plenty of donors willing to fund the new aquatic center (need to build full size Olympic style pool to compete in recruiting) but the university killed it anyway. My son is in the pool design business with one of the big firms and said there were more recent discussions. Will post if anything happens along those lines.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understood you were referring to the D1 team

Jun 13, 2019, 7:00 PM

Just saying the Club team didn’t help matters.

First I have heard about the offered donations. That stinks. Please keep us updated if you hear anything else. Hopefully the “study” is a real process and will come to a positive resolution.

Dang, even Newberry has a pool. I grew up near Clemson. It

Jun 13, 2019, 5:34 PM

was great for swimming in the winter when it was too cold to go to the lake.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Jun 13, 2019, 6:07 PM

Poor reflection of otherwise admirable leadership at Clemson. Nearby Greenville has one of the most active swimming communities you can find and Clemson not only discarded their scholarship swim and dive teams years ago (ending the dreams of quite a few impressive athletes) but now seeks to effective end the Club Swim team and all other pool related activities? Embarrassing; especially if it is true (as rumored) that a wealthy alum attempted to fund maintenance of the pool within the past few years (apparently when initial talk of ending our ACC teams was voiced) , but was told “no thanks.” Aren’t these the types of things the new ACC Network money was supposed to resolve? Try to remedy this Clemson U. It is not too late.

Jun 13, 2019, 6:55 PM

So students at U of SC get these lovely pools and Clemson students get nothing?

https://www.google.com/search?q=university+of+south+carolina+student+rec+center+pool&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimiqDdxefiAhXLdN8KHaFnB6YQ_AUIECgB&biw=1280&bih=643&dpr=1.5#imgrc=GpMwCzxfLMo7DM:

https://www.sc.edu/_resources/ldp-galleries/.private_ldp/a27664/production/master/64e7d649-8491-4674-8ded-b585c7734ebe.jpeg

https://www.google.com/search?q=university+of+south+carolina+student+rec+center+pool&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimiqDdxefiAhXLdN8KHaFnB6YQ_AUIECgB&biw=1280&bih=643&dpr=1.5#imgrc=VtHbh1yOrZ59RM:

I've never heard of any decent college that does not have a pool. This is ridiculous and embarrassing. Fix it bureaucrats in the Clemson administration, now!

/s/ ticked off alum

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 7:04 PM

I heard when Terry Bowden was at Auburn he got caught swimming naked with some Coeds. Maybe we aren’t getting rid of a pool, we are just Terry proofing the campus.

Geenville -Y in the mid-60s was really state of the art...

Jun 13, 2019, 9:16 PM

For the Clemson BOT to forego a swimming facility is abysmally arrogant and pathetically short-sighted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic