Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Player Development
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Player Development

Apr 17, 2019, 10:08 AM

appears to be seriously lacking under the current regime. Example A is Seth Beer who was far superior as a freshman than as a soph or junior. Carson Spiers has shown clear improvement but Davidson,Byrd,Greene,Wilkie,Crawford,Hennessy,Marr have plateaued or regressed. This is a major concern as are some of the coaching decisions. Really strange to see a player who is 0 for 24 starting but not nearly as strange as the replacements in the seventh inning. If you want to shore up the defense do not put a seldom used converted infielder in left and leave a substandard defensive infielder at third. Put Byrd in left and Parker or Greene in the infield. This was not rocket science but common sense gone bad.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Player Development

Apr 17, 2019, 10:10 AM

thanks for the input abner doubleday. by the way where do you coach tball anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2019, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reminder of why I post so little on this site anymore. Impossible to have a candid conversation with smartass commentary like you often find here.

Apr 17, 2019, 10:22 AM

I agree with you. Don't let one d1ck with an attitude stop you from expressing your opinion/honest observation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the Sewer Dwellers on here...all Richard Jr.'s

Apr 17, 2019, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Player Development ]

No life, no wife, no job, no class

Speaking of no class...

Apr 18, 2019, 2:03 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Brownell-has-been-doing-this-for-years-25342332#25342332

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 17, 2019, 10:24 AM

You probly know better but I don't think there are any player development meetings for 20 innings of play. That may need to change?

Apr 17, 2019, 10:36 AM

I must agree, NCAA player time for development just don't allow enough practice time to prepare a team for 2 for full games plus 2 innings without a break. After 15-20 innings, I'm sure that the winner of the game was a toss up for either team. Surely nothing can be taken away from either team under those circumstances!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2019, 10:40 AM

fact of the matter is the place where you should learn the fundamentals of the game is in high school. unfortunately these kids on travel ball teams are there to impress college coaches with how far they can hit it, what their bat speed is, etc. another fact is travel ball has ruined the game much like the aau has done to college basketball.

Apr 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

Wow so I guess other teams adjusted and were able to win regionals while we havent in almost a decade. Nice excuse

Hmmmm ... I heard Mickey Plyler say this exact same thing

Apr 17, 2019, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Player Development ]

on the radio this morning ... a full 3 hours before you use it on TigerNet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Hmmmm ... I heard Mickey Plyler say this exact same thing

Apr 17, 2019, 11:37 AM

I GUESS THAT MEANS I AGREE WITH MICKEY. DO YOU NOT.

Re: Hmmmm ... I heard Mickey Plyler say this exact same thing

Apr 17, 2019, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Hmmmm ... I heard Mickey Plyler say this exact same thing ]

Wait. So you're saying deroberts didn't get his information from an "article"
At least his sources are improving

Apr 17, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Player Development ]

LOL it’s everyone’s fault but the Coaches at Clemson. Once they put that C hat on they know everything and are never wrong .
You need to get outside and get some sunshine.

Apr 17, 2019, 11:40 AM

GUESS YOU MISSED THAT PART WHERE I SAID I DID NOT AGREE WITH EVERYTHING COACHES DO.

Apr 17, 2019, 1:47 PM

You disagree with our coaches? Tell me where you coached again? Monte is looking for help.
Goober smfh big sigh MOT

Apr 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

Spot on
Spot on
Spot on

Apr 17, 2019, 1:02 PM

Davidson is simply finding out what it's like to be "the Man" and not have Beer and Williams hitting behind him.

Byrd is a better hitter now than he was 2 years ago. Fielding...eh.

Greene is what he is. He thinks he is a right handed Babe Ruth. Worst thing he could do is hit a homerun early in the season. Last year, if I recall, he didn't hit one until late so he did pretty well. Soon as that first one went out the park last year he fell off a cliff. Uppercut city.

Wilkie is MUCH better today than he was as a Freshman. If you think differently, you don't recall the kid who couldn't hit the ball out of the infield when he was forced into duty due to Williams's injury. Plus Wilkie has a plus arm behind the plate (though he scares me sometimes with how he receives pitches).

Crawford has taken a step back this year due in part to a nagging injury. Not coaching.

Hennessy was in a funk at the start of the season but seems to be breaking out of it big time his last 2 outings

Marr hasn't shown a lot in my opinion. Great arm but not sure where it's going. Still just a sophomore though so hopefully he puts it together.

Why don't you bring up Holt Jones or Sam Weatherly, two pitchers who are definitely improved over their freshman year?

Apr 17, 2019, 2:04 PM

Logan Davidson has so much potential at the plate that has not been reached. Most coaches would have a guy like that hitting .330 in college.

Grayson Byrd
.284 in 2017 while striking out 25% of the time
.243 in 2018 while striking out 24.3% of the time
.295 so far this year while striking out 21% of the time

You can't just excuse Jordan Greene's lack of development b/c he swings for the fences. Who lets him do that? Who isn't correcting it? Oh yea, the coach.

You're correct about Wilkie from year 1 to year 2. His batting avg went from .235 to .324. TREMENDOUS JUMP. But from last year to this year he is down to .259. He's a veteran. This is not acceptable. He's just as bad at blocking balls as he was when he got here. He does have a good arm and a lightning quick release. I think he's the most clutch guy we have too although we haven't seen it this year as much.

The pitching is fine and has been.

To sum it all up I don't see the development. If .011 points on your batting avg from sophomore to senior season is what we have to look forward to then we won't be improving year to year unless he just recruits lights out

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic