Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Over/under to file car accident with insurance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Over/under to file car accident with insurance

Aug 9, 2019, 11:47 AM

What are your breakeven thoughts for when to pay for accident repairs myself versus when to use insurance?

Small fender bender this morning with a truck tow hitch (I feel like we just had this Lunge discussion). Car cutoff the truck, the truck jumped on brakes. I did too but still hit the truck. He has no damage. My front end ripped up pretty bad. The original car cutoff disappeared.

No cops responded. Swapped info but truck said they're not planning on any repairs.

The cheapest repair quote for my car is $2,000 from a small local shop. Haven't been to an authorized repair place yet, but I'm sure their estimate will be higher. My insurance has a $500 deductible plus $600/yr 'good driver discount'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duct tape is rather cheap***

Aug 9, 2019, 11:54 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and hard to get out of.***

Aug 9, 2019, 11:57 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately beyond duct tape repair

Sep 6, 2022, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Duct tape is rather cheap*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did your phone automatically title those photos BMW or

Aug 9, 2019, 12:13 PM

are you just that smug?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whats the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

Aug 9, 2019, 12:18 PM

Porcupines have priiiicks on the outside...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

It's like 10 years old though, insurance would prob total it***

Aug 9, 2019, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Did your phone automatically title those photos BMW or ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, 2010. Only 75k miles so I want to keep it going

Aug 9, 2019, 12:24 PM

Would be bummed and not get the true value if it were totaled.

You could always buy it back and fix it yourself

Aug 9, 2019, 12:28 PM

Might not be a bad deal for your situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have more than 1 car

Aug 9, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Did your phone automatically title those photos BMW or ]

It helps to cluster file names together. Will label next one BMW5_SportsPackage_BigDickPretenderCar

When you take the car out for a spin to Johnson's house do

Aug 9, 2019, 12:33 PM

you yell

"Buffy, I'm going to take the Beamer out for a spin. Need me to pick up anything on my way back?"

Had a Z4 that I called the batmobile

Aug 9, 2019, 12:44 PM

Traded it in when we had kids. I still call this one the batmobile.

The kids really enjoy when I pick them up from [insert expensive private school name here] in my [insert expensive car name here] while wearing my [insert expensive clothing/shoes here] while drinking [insert expensive bourbon name here], then take them home to [insert expensive gated neighborhood] and grill up burgers on the [insert expensive grill name] before finally shagging my trophy wife that looks like Elle Macpherson.

Just hang out in an industrial area with lots of

Aug 9, 2019, 12:01 PM

18 wheelers. Find an intersection where the big trucks don't have the room to make a wide left turn, and therefore have to cross into the opposite lane to turn. Pull up to the intersection at the last second and let the back wheels of the trailer graze your bumper. Don't scream, Call Akim. Get paid.

Do this after filing a claim and getting a check from your insurance for the original accident...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Over/under to file car accident with insurance

Aug 9, 2019, 12:15 PM

My daughter had a small fender bender (no pigs) and the quote was $2,200. I decided to pay out of pocket because of her having a previous accident.

I thought the quote was high so I called the shop and told them I was going to pay out of pocket and if there any help they could offer.

His response was...oh no, the cost is going to go up once we get into it. 95% of the time the cost goes up.

I asked if he had any idea on how much it would go up...he said no, but it would.

Turned it over to the insurance company.

Aug 9, 2019, 12:19 PM

ALso, her first accident, the repair cost was $5,000 to her car...no idea how much the cost was to the new dodge charger she hit was. Insurance went up $1,000/year

2nd accident - quoted cost was $2,200 to the person she hit. No damage to her car. Insurance went up $2,400/year (on top of the other $1,000/year)

Accidents about 2 years apart.

at fault for both?***

Aug 9, 2019, 12:26 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: at fault for both?***

Aug 9, 2019, 1:21 PM

yep.

sounds like she needs to stop driving***

Aug 9, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Over/under to file car accident with insurance ]

it'd be cheaper to uber everywhere

or get her own insurance

Aug 9, 2019, 12:28 PM

mine and SheGUAR's combined is ~$1,500yr, full coverage

still seems expensive

Aug 9, 2019, 12:31 PM

we have progressive and its about $1100/year for both of us with a '15 f150 and '18 pilot

u got collision / comp?

Aug 9, 2019, 12:36 PM

$500 deductible...

if yours is comparable, it may be time to shop it around again...been years since any ticket. SheGUAR was in a not-at-fault fender bender in '13 or so...

I've got Progressive and $1200 is about right for 2 cars

Aug 9, 2019, 12:37 PM

but the 4runner is old AF and I only have liability on that one. I may be overpaying. It was only $1000 the first year, then magically went up.

I've got collision/comp on my oldasshit Highlander

Aug 9, 2019, 12:41 PM

adds $192/yr...was gonna drop it, but we all know what'll happen if I did....

yes

Aug 9, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to u got collision / comp? ]

correction. It's about ~$1262/yr. We pay the full 6 months up front for about $618. The next 6 months went up to $644 for some reason. 100/300/100 coverage with $500 collision/comprehensive deductible

No accidents or tickets on record.

I enrolled in their app thingy that tracks your mileage and safe driving abilities. They're giving me an $86 discount for my next policy period however the basically jacked up my overall rate by over $100. I think it was a scam to be able to track me

the whole insurance thing is garbage. I literally just went in to get a quote from progressive. Didn't change a single thing and it reduced my next 6 months by $18. also If I try changing my address, it makes my bill go up $90. really don't make any cents especially since i'm in a nicer, higher income area with less crime than before.

lol, I got a $90 discount for them tracking me

Aug 9, 2019, 12:56 PM

and they raised the overall rate by $100

That is their style.

Thanks for helping to pave the way for mandatory tracking

Aug 9, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to yes ]

In 20 years they'll probably have warrants out for my arrest due to speeding.

hmmm...I'm at 100/300/50

Aug 9, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to yes ]

might make some phone carls shoon.

also, did you move further away from work?

Got out of James Island, huh?***

Aug 9, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to yes ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe have her take a safe driving class or

Aug 9, 2019, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Over/under to file car accident with insurance ]

buy her some nice running shoes and take the car away.

Aug 9, 2019, 1:15 PM

No fault insurance for the win

Not really, highest rates in the country. I hate insurance companies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd file it. That's $1500. Basically three years if you

Aug 9, 2019, 1:55 PM

lose the good driver discount. Really doesn't matter, if they pay, you'll pay. Here's a very true story...

Wife had a Youkon XL. I had a Camry. No speeding tickets or wrecks for a decade. We had pretty decent premiums, and with a good company. Car blows a stop sign and wife t-bones it. Totals her Youkon XL. Estimates were north of 25K ACV for the vehicle. Adverse driver was clearly at fault and ticketed. We file a claim with adverse driver's insurance company. They of course offered to total the car for the $25K ACV on the vehicle. BUT, I noted on our policy we had replacement coverage. That means if we total a car, we can get a brand new one with the same make/model. That was around $58K at the time. So we filed a claim under OUR policy for replacement and they sent a check.

NOW, I called first my agent, who's up in years and down on sharpness before doing this. Asked and he said since the other driver was at fault, it would NOT IMPACT my premiums. I reminded him that ACV for the vehicle was HALF what replacement cost, and my carrier would be hard pressed (with no injuries) to recover more than ACV from subrogation, leaving then like $28K in the hole. You don't just get away with that. He said they would recover the full replacement value from the adverse driver. I disagreed.

LSS....I was right. Premiums almost doubled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you switch insurance providers? Or does that follow you?

Aug 9, 2019, 2:00 PM

I have no idea about these things, I am but a simple caveman and I am confused by your insurance practices.

Oh, it follows you. We've changed twice now and have really

Aug 9, 2019, 2:19 PM

crappy insurance. They keep track of your claims, and they share.

Nother true story. Because of the replacement coverage we opted to use, wife got brand new SUV. Insurance almost doubled so we went with cheaper insurance. No longer a big-name reputable company, but hey, cheaper premiums is all that matters for UDP right?

Anyway, massive tree limb falls on wife's NEW SUV. Blows out windows and caves the roof. We're up at her family lakehouse. Was not a storm. Tree didn't appear rotten. Freak accident. We called and filed a claim. Tree limb fell on a Thursday night. Found it Friday morning and immediately reported it. Told them the damage. WINDOWS BLOWN OUT, caved roof. Glass everywhere inside. NO GARAGE OR SHELTER. So we asked them send a tow truck and get it. They said they had to send an appraiser out. Said he would be out there Monday. We said it would RAIN BY MONDAY AND WE HAD NO SHELTER OR WAY TO COVER THE CAR. They refused. We put a tarp over it. Best we could do. Couldn't drive it. It rained. Tarp leaked. Car flooded. We called ourselves and had it towed. Appraiser comes out Monday and we directed him to the shop where it was towed. Was $12K in damage, PLUS 5K for all new interior.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have an insurance score, just like a credit score.

Aug 9, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to So you switch insurance providers? Or does that follow you? ]

I called my homeowners insurance years back when I had a water pipe burst in my garage. I had $1000 deductible. Found out it was ~$800 to fix. So I had it fixed and never used the insurance. 2 years later bought a new house, and went to get insurance, and they wanted to ding me on the "water damage claim". I'm like.."WAT? Theere was NO claim!?" Them: "Yep..you turned it in..didn't matter if you actually used it."

Effers.

Was anything other than teh bumper cover torn up?

Aug 9, 2019, 2:07 PM

What year/model is it?

It looks worse, but repairs less than expected (2010)

Aug 9, 2019, 5:39 PM

Two quotes of $2,100 (local small shop that skimps on details) versus $3,100 from reputable place that is often recommended by insurance places in town.

Bumper, support bar, some wiring, grill, paint, etc

Lights, hood and overall structure appear fine. Might just ride around with zip ties and duct tape for a while.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic