Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Other than when end of game, when did you know Clemson had
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Other than when end of game, when did you know Clemson had

Jan 14, 2019, 8:53 AM

Alabama on the ropes ?

I say early on when Saban went for it on 4th and a yard near end of first quarter, at his own 34 yard line I think it was. Honestly could not believe it, but knew that Nicky was scared of our Clemson Tigers. Going for it that early on 4th down in your own territory smells of desperation and indeed he knew his team was in trouble.

It has been a week and still thinking about all the plays the Tigers made. That 10 minute end of game drive was just salt on the wound and an emphatic stamp on the National Championship victory. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could tell in pre-game ...

Jan 14, 2019, 8:54 AM

that Bama didn't want to be there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I could tell in pre-game ...

Jan 14, 2019, 11:07 AM

For me it was when they were starting to air the game just before kickoff and they were showing the players warming up and getting ready in the locker room.

ESPN always picks a theme song for their championship games. In 2016 when we won it, ESPN played "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones. They chose the same song for this year as well. When I heard it playing, I knew it was a sign that fortune was with us.

Midway through second quarter. Definitely by halftime.***

Jan 14, 2019, 8:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Other than when end of game, when did you know Clemson had

Jan 14, 2019, 8:59 AM

During his halftime interview, he is normally articulate and says exactly what adjustments need to be made to find success in the second half. During that interview he looked confused, shocked and defeated.

That for sure was an admission by Saban that he did not

Jan 14, 2019, 8:59 AM

believe his defense was going to stop us. He was absolutely trying to maximize their time of possession, and limit our offensive chances. Our guys are smart, I am sure they realized the same thing. This had to give them added confidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 9:04 AM

Half time, but I also knew we had to get a stop to open the 2nd half.When that happened,I breathed a sigh of relief.

late 1st when they hadn't hit Trevor yet.***

Jan 14, 2019, 9:06 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Re: late 1st when they hadn't hit Trevor yet.***

Jan 14, 2019, 9:37 AM

I obviously wasn’t confident in a blowout win but after the first series I told the wife I thought it was great news despite 3 and out. On 3rd down and long Trevor had all the time he needed in the pocket. At that point I felt we had the upper hand.

I knew for sure when Bama didn't make any adjustments.......

Jan 14, 2019, 9:07 AM

at halftime and did nothing to start the 2nd half. Once I saw that they hadn't corrected anything I knew the game was ours for sure.

I was asturely texting friends in 2nd qtr that Clemson was..

Jan 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

2018 National Champs! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama's most important possession was opening 2nd half.

Jan 14, 2019, 9:13 AM

When we stopped them on the fake fg, I knew it was going to be tough sledding. A score right there gives Bama all the momentum only being down 7 or 8.

A few plays later, Ross makes it 37-16.

The Fake FG was bad call in every way

Jan 14, 2019, 9:19 AM

If you go for it on 4th and a yard early in the game, why would you not leave the offense out there to get the needed 6 yards ?? I was in shock when holder tried to take off and run and was slammed down by Nyles. Horrible play(except for Clemson fans like ourselves) and was just another in the line of excellent play from the Tigers!!

The Fake FG was bad call in every way

Jan 14, 2019, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Bama's most important possession was opening 2nd half. ]

If you go for it on 4th and a yard early in the game, why would you not leave the offense out there to get the needed 6 yards ?? I was in shock when holder tried to take off and run and was slammed down by Nyles. Horrible play(except for Clemson fans like ourselves) and was just another in the line of excellent play from the Tigers!!

Jan 14, 2019, 9:20 AM

When Bama ran out the clock leading to halftime.

The could move the ball all half, and yet with timeouts, they were more worried about a mistake.

Yes, still wondering why he took all 3 TO's to the half but

Jan 14, 2019, 9:22 AM

I think you are right, they were worried about another turnover. Rarely see Nicky coach scared but he was shook up and had no adjustments to what the Tigers were doing on offense or defense!

Jan 14, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Other than when end of game, when did you know Clemson had ]

^^^^This.

I think that was a tip of the hat to our offense

Jan 14, 2019, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Other than when end of game, when did you know Clemson had ]

They took the ball at their 25 and knew with their suspect kicking game that they'd probably have to drive 40-50 yards to get "comfortable" for a FG. They threw incomplete on first down, and then after Tua scrambled for 6 yards it was 3rd and 4 on the 31 with about 40 seconds left. Had they called a TO and not converted 3rd down then they'd be punting away to us with over 30 seconds left, and I think Saban was more than happy not to see our offense back out on the field as we'd just driven it on them a few times and he probably wanted to get to halftime for defensive adjustments before we got another crack at their D.

It was conservative, but somewhat made sense when you consider that a successful drive to start the 3rd quarter for them would make it a 1 score game and put all the pressure back on our offense against the defensive adjustments he was hoping they'd make.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think that was a tip of the hat to our offense

Jan 14, 2019, 10:43 AM

Yeah, but we scored against ND with 39 seconds left in the 2nd. (aided by mistakes) just to pad a lead.

Still Bama with their "most explosive offense ever" down 15 was giving up before half. Every possession counts, and especially with that moment in the game.

Lets say they score before half, down either 12 or even 9,8, or 7... and that would give them something to rally behind... and they got the ball first again in the 3rd. It could be a tie to 4 point game easily.

They got "shocked-and-awed" and beaten going into the locker room. That is where we won the game... combined with Dabo and co keeping our guys focused.

When Gimme Shelter played as the intro...

Jan 14, 2019, 9:36 AM

It was over.

^^this^^***

Jan 14, 2019, 10:10 AM

Nm

Jan 14, 2019, 10:15 AM

When the first punt was the best one of the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 10:45 AM

After they failed to find the end zone to start the 2nd half. I was nervous, right before the half, that Bama would score, get the ball back after the half, then score again.

When they failed to do that’s a I felt pretty good. And it was more than clear by that point that OL was giving TL enough time and Bama couldn’t cover Ross and Higgins.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 10:50 AM

There were 2 things for me at the end of the 1st quarter. First, it was how the Clemson O Line was protecting TL and controlling Q. William's (no real impact). Then the Tigers held Bama below their 1st quarter season scoring average and were ahead. It was lights out after that comparing each team. The Tigers held the advantage.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 10:58 AM

No. 1 ####### statement made during the 2018 National Championship Game:

"They're doin' some things that we had, ya know, copycat stuff that other people have done that we hadn't practiced against." - Saban at halftime

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic