Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Criticism of students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Criticism of students

Mar 1, 2015, 12:52 AM

People need to calm down about criticizing students. I am a student and have been to my fair share of games in my 2 years so far. It's important to remember that today's game was against a Georgia Tech team that beat us the first time around this season, is 11 games below .500 in conference and is only 12-17 on the year overall.

Clemson doesn't play an attractive brand of basketball under Brownell, and no matter how hard the players play for him or how much they buy into his system, Clemson basketball is not relevant right now. When we allow more than our season average for PPG allowed (60.5), we are just 4-8, and an even worse 1-7 when giving up 65+. Excuses aside, that means that we simply do not have the right system in place; defense can only get you so far.

Like I said, I've been to plenty of home games. But who really wants to go watch performances like what we saw today? We had a 23 point lead, and in typical Clemson/Brownell fashion, a combination of empty possessions, failure to break the inbounds press, and a few defensive meltdowns later, an AWFUL Georgia Tech team forced OT against us.

If you and the players think the student support is bad this year, just wait until next year. How many people, not just students, do you think would actually make the trip to Greenville on weeknights and Saturdays for noon tips?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't criticize folks on how they spend their time

Mar 1, 2015, 12:59 AM

I won't start now with the Clemson students regarding basketball.

However, it's not really much of a point to argue that we having a losing record when we allow more than our season average of points. I'd bet that's pretty common across the board. Not really an argument one way or the other.

In this situation I can certainly see both sides' points. The program wants support to help encourage the team and perhaps elevate recruiting. The fans want wins to rally support. It seems to me that neither side really has a monopoly on the truth here, and what we really have is a chicken/egg scenario.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't criticize folks on how they spend their time

Mar 1, 2015, 1:05 AM

I agree that it seems like you need one to get the other. When people point out that we would be better off with more talent on the team, I kind of laugh because I don't think they understand what you have to do in order to get that talent. Dabo isn't locking up top-15 recruiting classes every year just by luck; that comes from WINNING.

For teams that are in the top 5 or 6 of the ACC, which would be considered the top-heavy portion of the league, I don't think you'd see that big of a drop off once they give up their season average for defense, because they're used to scoring more points. Point is, we're only averaging maybe 2 or 3 more points offensively per game than we are giving up. That's a product of the system and style of basketball that we play under Brownell.

Just so you'll remember, its a STUDENT criticizing students.

Mar 1, 2015, 1:08 AM

Jaron Blossomgame is a STUDENT and as such I think he does have as much insight to the opinions of the student body as any other student would have.....and, being a starter , he certainly has a better insight to the support of the STUDENT body for the basketball team....particularly in comparison with other conference programs. I'd bet he even has a better insight as to the training and preparation by the coaching than a normal student.

What I suggest Mr. Crownover, is that you approach Mr. Blossomgame and tell him of your concerns about him criticizing the student body for lack of support for the basketball team. Perhaps he'll share his insight with you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just so you'll remember, its a STUDENT criticizing students.

Mar 1, 2015, 1:14 AM

...and I could tell him that I've been to a lot more games in my two years than a large percentage of the students who are Tiger sports followers here, so I'll take his opinions as more of a criticism of other students. He is entitled to his opinion and for reasons like this, I don't think they should be banned from social media during the season. We'll see if his comments mean anything for Tuesday night's game against State. I'm not sure that being called "the worst student body in the ACC" is going to go over too well with students.

One thing you can probably count on.....Mr. Blossomgame felt

Mar 1, 2015, 1:21 AM

strongly enough about it to put it out in social media where EVERYONE has access to it.....including potential recruits and opposing coaches.

Who knows, perhaps he has a point? Perhaps not. But the toothpaste is out of the tube now and its hard to get back in. Mr. Blossomgame has criticized the student body's support (or lack thereof) and you, in your original post criticized him and the basketball team and coaching staff.

All the rest of us can do now is await the fallout.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing you can probably count on.....Mr. Blossomgame felt

Mar 1, 2015, 1:27 AM

I don't so much have a problem with him or some of the other players criticizing fan support. I think his expression of his opinion is a way of him asking for more fans to come out. I just hate to see it on here when people are whining at us students for not supporting the basketball team like we do for football. There is a BIG difference between the state of those two programs right now.

More Ticket holders live in Greenville than Clemson, I

Mar 1, 2015, 1:27 AM

expect turnout to be better

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More Ticket holders live in Greenville than Clemson, I

Mar 1, 2015, 1:28 AM

But the student turnout will not be better, and even though students aren't the only ones who aren't filling the stands at games, we're the ones taking the majority of the criticism. I see plenty of empty seats throughout the rest of the arena, just for the record.

What's face value of a student ticket?***

Mar 1, 2015, 1:33 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's face value of a student ticket?***

Mar 1, 2015, 1:45 AM

It's free. I would know because I'm a student who's actually been to games.

as you (the students) should

Mar 1, 2015, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Re: More Ticket holders live in Greenville than Clemson, I ]

18,000 + students at CLemson, yet you guys can't even fill out the lower student section. Pathetic

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry dood, but the pathetic excuses need to stop

Mar 1, 2015, 1:32 AM

Was the 1st half not exciting? Did you not get to witness a dramatic overtime win against an ACC opponent? Was it too much to ask to come out on SENIOR night to support the team?

But oh no....you poor students....it's unfair for us to expect you to have to come watch our unexciting tigers play a sub-.500 ACC team. That must be tough for you guys, having to have your FREE season tickets and a 10 minute walk to the games wasted by not being able to play Duke or UNC every game....

Sheesh, what a load of bull$hit this is.

Why should it matter what style of ball we play? We are CLEMSON regardless of who our coach is, what our record is, or who we are playing. Nothing else should matter. I was in school for some mediocre Brownell teams as well, but you better believe I was at every single home game unless I was home over winter break. Am I saying that makes me better than you or any other students? Absolutely not! The point is, the excuses need to stop because you really don't have the insight or experience to back them up.

I'd give my left nut to be back in school and have the ability to go to all the games again. I'm lucky to make it up for more than one football game a year. Basketball games are almost out of the question. I don't care if we were winless in the ACC, I'd be there for every game and the majority of students should be too. I had my heart ripped out time after time after time as we lost because of sloppy play, head scratching turnovers, and missed free throws. It never stopped me from getting there an hour early and getting the best seats in the house.

This is CLEMSON. We are supposed to have the best fans in the country. Not just for football, not just against Duke, ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. Period. What you said in your post is the exact thought process of fans of Miami, Georgia Tech, the coots, and the vast majority of this horrendously spoiled and entitled millennial generation. "let's only show up for big games...let's only go if we are winning...man that game sure did suck, we almost lost..." I could go on and on and on

Bottom line is, you just don't get it. Maybe I shouldn't blame you since you have only been in school for two years. You don't get it now, but one day you will

Re: Sorry dood, but the pathetic excuses need to stop

Mar 1, 2015, 1:40 AM

I think you're coming after the wrong person. I haven't made the excuses, and I've kept coming back to the home games. It's been harder this year because our home schedule hasn't exactly set up favorably; a few right before finals week were impossible to get to, and I couldn't make it back for the UNC game over Christmas break. Otherwise, I enjoy going to the games as much as anyone.

I'm speaking for how I know other students feel. I get your point. But in all seriousness, we should all cut the crap. Whether or not it's the right attitude to have, we won't get as much support as we want there to be until we win some games. It sucks. It really does. But I don't think we'll win more consistently or be a relevant team until a change is made at the top.

Not necessarily coming after you

Mar 1, 2015, 2:14 AM

props for going to the games. Keep it up

Point is, the excuses you listed are simply that....excuses. And #### poor ones at that.

I think the school needs to do a better job of promoting the games, so it's not just on you guys. But still, it mostly is. (Not YOU specifically)

When I was a freshman, the games were packed-out. LJ was tough to play in. It was no coincidence, and it wasn't the other way around, either. We win WHEN THE STUDENTS SHOW UP AND MAKE NOISE. The crowd makes just as big of an impact as it does in football, if not more-so.

If the students want us to win some games, they need to show up early, wear orange, STAND UP THE WHOLE GAME, and yell their friggin brains out! It's not rocket science!

Re: Sorry dood, but the pathetic excuses need to stop

Mar 1, 2015, 1:44 AM [ in reply to Sorry dood, but the pathetic excuses need to stop ]

And for the record I was there today to watch us win. But I guess I can't talk myself up too much. I will be a whiny, spoiled student on Tuesday and won't be able to make it to the game because I have 8 interviews in the three days after and 4 tests in 4 days the week after that. I must have my priorities wrong or something...

sheesh dude, don't get all defensive now

Mar 1, 2015, 2:16 AM

You have 8 interviews the THREE DAYS AFTER hahaha not the day of the game... you can;t go why? ;)

8 interviews. Sorry but I doubt that.

But look - for the record THERE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TESTS. People have always had interviews and projects and stuff. Not telling you to neglect the important stuff, but come on....4 tests next week? So you can't take 2 hours to go to the game and study all weekend? C'mon man!

Didn't mean to offend you. Good luck. Go tigers

Message was edited by: CU2013®

Re: sheesh dude, don't get all defensive now

Mar 1, 2015, 2:17 AM

It's for co-op interview days. I could list them out if you really don't believe me, or you could just take my word for it. Your choice. And go Tigers.

Re: sheesh dude, don't get all defensive now

Mar 1, 2015, 2:34 AM

no need for the smart @ssness, we're on the same team here. Arguing amongst ourselves is for coots!

Go to the game Tuesday, nail your interviews, and kick the snot outta your tests. You got it

Re: Criticism of students

Mar 1, 2015, 1:47 AM

I understand the students should be there and I go often as possible and even went to Columbia and watched us get killed but I've been to a few games where the lower level wasn't half full and not in the student section either. I believe students, alumni and just fans could all do better.

OP sounds like a ######***

Mar 1, 2015, 2:02 AM

Mar 1, 2015, 6:50 AM

Crownover, did you just realized that you are not all in, by the statement you just made. You stated off by saying we should calm down about criticizing the students. Then latter on you said you been to plenty of games, but who really wants to go watch performances like they did yesterday. Then finally you said that if you think it is bad this year, wait till next year. So let me get this straight, you were at the game and are sticking up for the ones who don't support the team, why can't they do it? Then you turn around and criticize the basketball team and coaches, who show up every game. To me it sounds like you are very defensive, so should you be?

Message was edited by: Chakae®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I STAND FOR THE FLAG AND KNEEL FOR THE FALLEN

I agree with you

Mar 1, 2015, 8:13 AM

Brads style is to blame for the lack of recruiting which leads to mediocre teams that play a boring style to watch. I wouldnt go to many games either if I was a student.

If a NBA or NFL team is bad, fans stop going. College is no different

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 3:34 PM

I am a season ticket holder, I go to the games and I live over 2.5 hours away. I do not blame the students for their attendance at the games. The previous AD really screwed up the seating arrangement for students and how they get tickets. When I went to Clemson, student went to Little John got a ticket and walked into game. We had great seats, now we set up an absurd ticket process and put the students end of the court. I believe Clemson Students have the worse seats of any in ACC. If you wants students there, better seats and easier access. I believe the new AD is working on that. Put the some of the blame where it really deserves, the old AD ignored basketball, and screwed up the student section

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic