Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One rule I think the NCAA should bring back is...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

One rule I think the NCAA should bring back is...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:00 PM

not allowing freshmen to play. With all the hype surrounding these recruits, I think there is pressure on coaches to play them too soon. On top of that, these kids come in thinking they are ready, when in reality they are not. This is a recipe for disaster, and we’re seeing it play out with the transfer portal. Sitting for a year gives everyone time to adjust, improve, and find out where they fit in on the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I should’ve done this a long time ago

Aug 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoever gave this a TD...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

doesn’t understand college football.

Sorry, not sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I think we all know who gave this a TD..

Aug 21, 2019, 12:10 PM

and you are correct, he doesn't understand college football

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Will Muschamp does the Tnet?

Aug 21, 2019, 12:12 PM

Re: Whoever gave this a TD...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Whoever gave this a TD... ]

The majority of those who transfer have gotten beaten out by a better player, not because they did or didn't play as freshmen. We have always had players leave even back when we had the rat team because they saw they weren't going to play. Maybe it's you that
doesn't understand college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason young players typically leave is because...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:45 PM

they think they are ready to start as freshmen and don’t want to wait. So they transfer. How is that not understanding football?

Re: One rule I think the NCAA should bring back is...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:25 PM

If you do this you have to change the scholarship limit. Without say 25 freshmen you are down to 60 scholarship players.
Back when we had the rat teams we had about 120 on scholarship with 88 being sophomores Juniors Seniors and red-shirts. That's four deep on both sides of the ball.
The rat teams were about that many also altho attrition took care of those who weren't going to make it. Scholarships were good for 4 years 5th year optional.
So You go from 85 to 120 + on scholarship $$$$$$$$

The coaches know who is ready. Do you think we would have won the Natty last year without a true freshman QB?

60 active scholarship players seems like more than enough

Aug 21, 2019, 1:10 PM

The rules only allow each team to have 11 players on the field at one time. 60 is way more than 11, it's simple math.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: 60 active scholarship players seems like more than enough

Aug 21, 2019, 2:59 PM

Yea but with 60 our players would have been just as tired as Bama's players last year and they would have truly destroyed us. We need those extra 25 players to make up the difference in talent.

You’re kidding, right?***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:29 PM

Re: You’re kidding, right?***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:35 PM

It's Francis Marion, dah!

His jokey posts are why I rarely TNet anymore ... ***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to You’re kidding, right?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

No. The number one ranked QB recruit in the nation...

Aug 21, 2019, 12:52 PM [ in reply to You’re kidding, right?*** ]

Justin Fields, is a prime example of exactly what I’m talking about.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:41 PM

This is an outstanding idea!

I think to add to this, the freshmen should be approved to join the XFL for one season while they redshirt so their skills don't get rusty and they can make a little cash.

Then they will come back to the team ready to perform as sophomores.

This solves the pay-for-play issue and keeps freshmen from getting the big head about their recruiting rankings coming out of high school.

Unfortunately, I can’t take credit for the idea.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:47 PM

People a lot smarter than us at the NCAA came up with this year’s ago.

I think it's a great idea, the other benefit of this rule is

Aug 21, 2019, 12:53 PM

it would encourage players to stay for 4 years instead of just playing their first 3 years and going to the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think it's a great idea, the other benefit of this rule is

Aug 21, 2019, 1:18 PM

But they would be gone after the 3rd year anyway unless they change that rule too - money talks to most players more than school,,,,, I did say MOST.

The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through

Aug 21, 2019, 1:24 PM

statistics from before freshmen were allowed to play and the overwhelming majority of players stayed all 4 years. If you have any data disproving this I would be open to it.

Re: The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through

Aug 21, 2019, 1:27 PM

Let's see your stats first.... if you go way back in time guys actually went to play ball just to get the degree so 4 years was standard ….... and if you are talking "majority" over 51% of players aren't likely to have a chance to be drafted after 3 years so they do stick around 4 so that makes your claim correct.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Yeah, and back in the day they didn't get a half million dol

Aug 22, 2019, 7:55 AM

signing bonus as 3 round pick..

Yeah, and back in the day they didn't get a half million dol

Aug 22, 2019, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through ]

signing bonus as 3 round pick..

Aug 21, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through ]

But I’m the days you are talking about you couldn’t leave in 3 years and become and instant millionaire like the kids today. The ### has burst and the money is flowing. You tell us how to stop it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through ]

When Freshmen were not eligible to play, neither were players eligible for draft until after senior year.

Drafting 3rd year players........

Aug 26, 2019, 7:50 AM

.....is completely unrelated to what the colleges or the NCAA wants to happen. The rule that allows drafting college players after 3 years is an NFL/Players Union rule. It seems more likely to me that the NFL will begin to draft players earlier rather than later. If the NCAA unilaterally decides to impose a ban on first year players, the colleges will lose those players after only 2 years of play.

Aug 21, 2019, 8:29 PM [ in reply to The data says otherwise. I took a quick glance through ]

When Freshmen were not eligible to play, neither were players eligible for draft until after senior year.

I think you just solved the problem.***

Aug 21, 2019, 8:32 PM

Aug 21, 2019, 12:53 PM

Why don’t to look back at Oklahoma RB’s Marcus Dupree, Hershel Walker, George Rogers from the early 80’s then look in our own backyard. TL, Frank Ladson, Nagasaki, , Tee Higgins, and I am sure if I did my research I would find several more players who started and had a major impact in regards to their success.

Why would you want really talented freshmen to sit for a year. What if Trevor Lawrence has sat last year would we have won the NC??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hershel Walker & George Rogers did not play for Oklahoma.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:56 PM

I don’t think I'll be able to have a serious football conversation with someone who doesn’t know that.

No offense.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect

Aug 21, 2019, 12:58 PM

a Winthrop grad to understand big time college football.

Now wait just a minute - I have a degree

Aug 21, 2019, 1:23 PM

from Winthrop (or two) and football is in my genes

We really don't want to know

Aug 21, 2019, 1:36 PM

what's in your genes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speek four yo seff.

Aug 21, 2019, 1:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I originally spelled "jeans" but knew I could

Aug 21, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to We really don't want to know ]

count on at least one of you guys to make the correction.

So happy you didn't have the disappoint***

Aug 21, 2019, 2:08 PM

Re: To be fair, I wouldn't expect

Aug 21, 2019, 1:37 PM [ in reply to To be fair, I wouldn't expect ]

You know GWP I could TD you and Francis but then I would lower myself to your standards.

I am proud that I graduated from Winthrop, but that makes me no less than a Tiger fan than you or Francis. Personally IMO to bully people behind a screen name is the act of a coward. Honestly, it does matter where you went to school, you can still be a diehard Clemson Fan!

Based on the way you and Francis think of what a true fan is , if you pull for a pro team to be a true fan you either have to live in that state or you would have had to have played for that team.

Your TD% is 18% so you appear to be lowering yourself

Aug 21, 2019, 1:39 PM

to someone's standards.

Standards are overrated.

Aug 21, 2019, 2:00 PM

That's why I don't have any.

#fightconformity

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: TD% ???????? Where do you go to see that?

Aug 21, 2019, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Your TD% is 18% so you appear to be lowering yourself ]

Mine must be around 90% because I TD every coot post and most of those that are "delusional"

Only 37%...much better than Crump***

Aug 21, 2019, 2:22 PM

But you still didn't tell me where you

Aug 21, 2019, 2:34 PM

go to see that statistic.

Hover your mouse over your Tiger Pulse -- you will see the

Aug 21, 2019, 3:23 PM

TU and TD %. Not sure if you can see if on mobile.

I don’t follow pro football.***

Aug 21, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: To be fair, I wouldn't expect ]

I believe you really bombed on that Nagasaki

Aug 21, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: One rule I think the NCAA should bring back is... ]

name

Aug 22, 2019, 5:36 AM [ in reply to Re: One rule I think the NCAA should bring back is... ]

If that rule was in effect, Hunter Johnson May have stayed, so yes we could have possibly won it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That just means we would only have some of these talented

Aug 21, 2019, 1:14 PM

kids playing for us for two years instead of three. No Thanks.

You just broke my sarcasm meter***

Aug 21, 2019, 1:17 PM

Opening this thread be like.........

Aug 21, 2019, 1:28 PM

Aug 21, 2019, 1:30 PM

Yeah, last year would have been great with Kelly Bryant as the starting QB all year.

Ending freshman eligibility is a bad idea.

Aug 21, 2019, 3:34 PM

1. Good players typically get good coaching before they finish high school. The kids who are talented come to school now more fit and more ready to play than was ever typical in the past.

2. As long as the NFL takes players 3 years out of high school, it would be foolish to not allow the best ones to play as freshmen.

3. Players who are less than uber talented, or who lack the strength or size to play as first year college students almost always play a very limited amount as true freshman. Most of the time the coaches and the players recognize who should redshirt and who is ready to play, especially at the bigger schools.

4. If the NCAA passed a rule ending freshman eligibility, the Power 5 leagues would quit the NCAA and start their own organization.

5. Trevor Lawrence. (Making a player like Lawrence sit would be unethical, immoral and should be illegal.)

At least now we finally know the TRUE identity of FM.

Aug 21, 2019, 9:23 PM
NoChance.jpg(94.1 K)

This loser.

Aug 21, 2019, 9:59 PM

So, our 5 stars would only play 2 years. Does not seem real good to me.

Aug 21, 2019, 10:32 PM

DW would not have injured his knee and finger if this had been the rule. Why can't people see that the physical risks for these freshmen outweigh the benefits???

Aug 22, 2019, 6:03 AM

Kind of selfish of me, but I enjoyed watching Lawrence and Ross play last year. I have a feeling Ngata will be fun to watch this season. Of course Sammy Watkins made things exciting, and so forth, etc, etc ....

I trust our coaches to make good decisions about if a freshman is ready to play.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:54 AM

But think about the career Watson could have had if not for those injuries. What could have been....

The rules should also be amended to allow for

Aug 22, 2019, 7:38 AM

Tear away jerseys, helmets without facemasks, and all players required to wear those huge thigh pads. Oh, and stick-um. We need legalized stick-um again

Aug 22, 2019, 9:23 AM

I understand this is a discussion topic but 100% not ever going to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2019, 8:00 AM

I really hope you’re joking about this. You do realize Justyn, Trevor, and XT were all true freshman last year. There would have been no National Championship without there contributions.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic