Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offsides was the right call!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Offsides was the right call!!

Dec 7, 2015, 7:17 PM

I know there has been a lot about the "phantom" offsides call and the targeting that was missed. But from careful observation. The freeze frame that everyone has probably seen is before the ball is actually kicked. One of the UNC players was about a yard from the 35 before the kick. The rule states that any body part can not come across the 35 until the ball has been kicked! Key word being until the ball has been kicked. As the frame keeps going there is a UNC players head does cross the 35 yard line

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offsides was the right call!!

Dec 7, 2015, 7:21 PM

Indeed it was bang bang play. It was real close but in my honest opinion it was the right call

you are correct-every one of these screaming media hacks owe

Dec 7, 2015, 7:22 PM

that official an apology for ripping up his reputation.

NONE of those people had the correct angle to be able to say with absolute truthfulness that the UNC guy was not offsides. If a direct camera shot of the line came out, I think it would show the guy's arm and helmet were across the line pre-kick.

I know those guys went into broadcasting because they flunked geometry, so it's no use trying to explain angles and such to them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you are correct-every one of these screaming media hacks owe

Dec 7, 2015, 7:44 PM

Completely agree. Even the targeting call was missed but nobody want to talk about that because it wouldn't have given UNC an advantage

there was a replay that they showed

Dec 7, 2015, 8:35 PM [ in reply to you are correct-every one of these screaming media hacks owe ]

i texted my dad and sister and said, his feet werent over, but his upper body was.

i had no idea that the line is a plane in that situation, but during the game they showed a replay where it looked pretty telling. have not seen that one again since.

maybe it was the Bulleit. but i believe.

this pic is from a post yesterday

Dec 7, 2015, 8:55 PM

the problem EVERYBODY has is the replay you see is at an ANGLE. So there's geometry involved. The camera is probably right at midfield (educated guess), 15 yards from the "action" line.

Look at the ref's head (he threw the flag). I'm sure you have no doubts being convinced that he is straddling the line with his head dead centered on the 35 yd line line. Well, in the photo, his head is NOT on the line, is it? That's because it's about 4-5 feet above the ground (he's crouching, if you watch the video replay). Three dimensions come into play, as the angle skews perception.

the black line is drawn parallel to the 35 yd line at the height of the ref's eyes, again about 4-5 feet+/- off the ground.

Now, Look at the UNC player's arm. It's 4 to 5 feet off the ground also. You can easily see that the player's arm is about on the same plane as the ref's head, directly over the 35 yard line - which makes him O-F-F-S-I-D-E-S.

Case closed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now you got me watching the replay

Dec 7, 2015, 8:57 PM

when dude says flag on the play, herbstreit says, offsides on UNC.

when they go the replay, he says i don't see it.

Re: now you got me watching the replay

Dec 7, 2015, 10:40 PM

I was at the game. The ref at the line of scrimmage threw the flag and I immediately guessed it was offsides because of who threw it and where it was. That is probably what Herbstreit saw too. I doubt Herbstreit actually saw the offsides on UNC if that is what you are thinking.

I don't doubt it was offsides. I just can't believe no one has come up with an image that shows the ref's angle. All those camera's and ABC doesn't catch that?

Re: this pic is from a post yesterday

Dec 7, 2015, 9:47 PM [ in reply to this pic is from a post yesterday ]

Need to send this pic to that tool Gottlibe. He even implied that uncheat got screwed on the second onside kick. I hope our players were listening to that drama queen today!

Re: this pic is from a post yesterday

Dec 7, 2015, 10:24 PM [ in reply to this pic is from a post yesterday ]

> the problem EVERYBODY has is the replay you see is at
> an ANGLE. So there's geometry involved. The camera is
> probably right at midfield (educated guess), 15 yards
> from the "action" line.
>
> Look at the ref's head (he threw the flag). I'm sure
> you have no doubts being convinced that he is
> straddling the line with his head dead centered on
> the 35 yd line line. Well, in the photo, his head is
> NOT on the line, is it? That's because it's about 4-5
> feet above the ground (he's crouching, if you watch
> the video replay). Three dimensions come into play,
> as the angle skews perception.
>
> the black line is drawn parallel to the 35 yd line at
> the height of the ref's eyes, again about 4-5 feet+/-
> off the ground.
>
> Now, Look at the UNC player's arm. It's 4 to 5 feet
> off the ground also. You can easily see that the
> player's arm is about on the same plane as the ref's
> head, directly over the 35 yard line - which makes
> him O-F-F-S-I-D-E-S.
>
> Case closed.
>
> > src="http://www.tigernet.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downl
> oad/1-1527148-18486658-156177/THE%20PIC.jpg">

Best practical demonstration I've seen to explain it all. No amount of fake education can make any UNC grad feel better about losing to a "lowly land grant college" team. Great job putting real world angle adjustment on that still-shot. As the Eagles' song goes "Get Over It!!" Now, on to prepare and rest to beat the Sooners.

Dec 7, 2015, 8:15 PM

One additional point that I have not seen during this endless discussion. On a football play from the line of scrimmage, each referee has several responsibilities. For example, the linesman must watch for offside on the defense, motion of an offensive lineman, snap violations, alignment of players eligible to receive a pass, and probably other several other potential violations. On the kick off, that linesman has one, and only one, thing to watch. Does a kicking team player break the plane above the 35 yard line before the ball is kicked? With just one thing to watch, I can't conceive of a ref blowing that call.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+ illegal formation***

Dec 7, 2015, 8:18 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: + illegal formation***

Dec 7, 2015, 9:56 PM

I have been back and forth on this. I think it has to be an actual offsides, because the guy who was outside the 9 yard mark on the first OS kick, is in the exact same location for the 2nd kick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: + illegal formation***

Dec 7, 2015, 10:12 PM

You can be outside of the hash mark IF everyone on the kickoff team comes set between the hash marks after the whistle

i hope it was a bad call. Screw UNC

Dec 7, 2015, 9:35 PM

I've watched no fewer than 4 basketball wins stolen from Clemson vs UNC by the refs. They need to experience that pain.

What he said.

Dec 7, 2015, 10:03 PM

We have about 50 years of payback owed to us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2015, 9:35 PM

With Clemson's impressive multi media capability it should be easy to demonstrate the difference in camera angles related to the offsides call. Place a camera on the 50 and one on the 35 while a person leans his head over the 35 yard line. Do both views as a split screen to show how the referee saw offsides while the TV viewers and commentators did not. That would be a good way to end this debate once and for all. According to the ACC the referee saw the player break the plane of the 35 prior to the ball being kicked. This has nothing to do with the number of players or an illegal formation.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2015, 9:51 PM

from what I have been reading on the rules. There was no illegal formation because there were at least 4 players on each side of the kicker. At first I did not see 4 players on the side closest to the Clemson sideline in the still photo but after further observation the 4th player was kind of hidden by another.

Wouldn't be so easy to duplicate,would have to have the same

Dec 7, 2015, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Offsides was the right call!! ]

distance from the sideline, and same distance above the playing field, of the camera.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one is talking about this rule

Dec 7, 2015, 9:55 PM
image.png(699.4 K)
image.png(856.0 K)

May be Germans but it makes sense.

Clemson University Class of 2015

The announcement from the league office said it was

Dec 7, 2015, 9:58 PM

an offsides call, not any kind of formation issue.

Re: The announcement from the league office said it was

Dec 7, 2015, 10:03 PM

Yea i understand that but that was also another penalty that could have been called if the penalty wasnt offside. I mean they missed the targeting as well

Re: No one is talking about this rule

Dec 7, 2015, 10:01 PM [ in reply to No one is talking about this rule ]

those are actually the same rules i was referring to as well. But in that picture everything is ok. its also not until the kicker gets ready to kick the ball is when a player goes beyond the 5 yard restraining line.

There's an easy way to approach this. If this call had gone

Dec 7, 2015, 9:58 PM

against Clemson, how would everyone feel about it?

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic