Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OOC Schedule - I wasted my time so you don't have to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

OOC Schedule - I wasted my time so you don't have to

Aug 14, 2019, 2:00 PM

I did some research on the Out of Conference schedules of the ACC, the SEC and the B10. I'm not arguing for, or considering, the conference schedules because you can't control them. The ACC is down now. We're not.

I broke down the OOC opponents into three categories; (1) is top 25 teams, (2) is teams not in the Top 25 from the other two conferences (ACC, SEC or B10), and (3) is others. Besides the fact that most "other" teams appear on the schedules of all three conferences, I don't see where it makes a big difference whether you play Wofford, Connecticut, or New Mexico St. They're all the same unless you suck.

The B10 plays 42 OOC games
They play 3 Top 25 teams - ND (9), Stanford (23) and Iowa St. (24)
They play 3 ACC teams and 1 SEC team (Vandy)
They play 35 "Others" (83% of available OOC Scheduling)

The SEC plays 56 OOC games
They play 5 Top 25 teams - Clemson (1) 2x, ND (9), Texas (10) and Oregon (13)
They play 5 ACC teams and 1 B10 team
They play 45 "Others" (80% of available OOC Scheduling)

The ACC plays 56 OOC games
They play 12 Top 25 teams - Alabama (2), Georgia (3), Florida (8) 2x, ND (9) 5x, Texas A&M (11), Penn St. (14) and UCF (17)
They play 3 SEC teams, 2 B10 teams and 1 ACC OOC game (UNC v. Wake)
They play 38 "Others" (68% of available OOC Scheduling)

I think there is little doubt as to who ain't skeert.

And again, I'm not going to argue for our conference, may it forever suck, but don't come at me with the strength of your conferences with Ill., Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Minn., NW, Purdue, Rutgers, Arkansas, KY, Ole Miss, MSU, Missouri, U5C, Tenn. or Vandy.

Finally, after all is said and done, the games are played and biases are reduced to a minimum, the OOC Strength of Schedule at the end of the last four years was:

2015 - Clemson (1)
2016 - Clemson (1)
2017 - Clemson (2), Oklahoma was No.1
2018 - Clemson (1)

We'll take a back seat to no one. Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question for my confuse...

Aug 14, 2019, 2:13 PM

How do the B10 and SEC play more ACC teams than the ACC plays the B10 and SEC teams ? Thought #s would match.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for my confuse...

Aug 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

The teams in the Top 25 in the 3 conferences don't count twice some. They are either in teh Top 25 or in the conference category. This actually further skews the comparison, because while the ACC schedules these powerful B10 and SEC teams not in the top 25, they schedule the pathetic ACC.

Re: Question for my confuse...

Aug 14, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Question for my confuse... ]

Looks like ranked vs not ranked would be the difference based on how he explained his method

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

+1

Aug 14, 2019, 2:14 PM

good work!

Re: OOC Schedule - I wasted my time so you don't have to

Aug 14, 2019, 2:34 PM

CUJohn ----- You have introduced a lot of confusion. Do you not realize that opinion trumps fact in the minds of most football fans as well as the media?

Thanks for all the work in digging out this info.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The $EC is still propagating the myth...

Aug 14, 2019, 3:39 PM

that their slate of conference games is so tough and greuling, that they shouldn't have to schedule more quality OOC opponents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:25 PM

A lot of work and I won't try and critique it. It has been obvious for sometime now that, for the most part, the SEC and B1G play no one OOC that has much of a pulse. The Tigers have been playing at least 2 SEC teams each year and are scheduled to continue until I'm 80 and beyond, well, unless the SEC surrenders and start to back out of the commitments.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all fairness, you really can't count South Carolina as an

Aug 14, 2019, 5:23 PM

SEC team. That's like counting underwear as a Trump supporter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND should count as conference games for ACC

Aug 14, 2019, 5:33 PM

Not sure that changes much of anything. But my opinion.

Also, I respect the B10 for the nine game conference schedule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for the time saver. Seriously though, very nice.***

Aug 14, 2019, 7:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2019, 11:12 PM

Thanks! @CUJohn Good stuff! Even some Tigers Fans have "bought into the myth" it seems! Their bowl record when they have to play some decent OOC teams is not much better than the Big 10 or even ACC.
Don't want to be there? Then you aren't a good team! Good teams have metal and grit and determination to the end.

9-3 was the ACC in 2016 bowl season. SEC was 6-7 in 2016 bowl season.

7-5 was the ACC in 2018 bowl season. SEC was 6-5 in 2018 bowl season.

Themz'facts! Myth's have a hard time with facts!

The SEC enthusiast including some on this board don't get this when we post facts! Nobody is saying the SEC isn't good. Heck, that conference is better currently than the whole of the ACC. But, when you speak about them; don't act like they are all that. They aren't; look up the number of players the ACC has in the league versus that of the SEC! The gap isn't anywhere near what those myth believing folks would think!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or to make this SUPER SIMPLE.....

Aug 15, 2019, 2:11 PM

Just count ranked vs un-ranked teams played.... duh!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Good work CUJohn. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2019, 8:22 PM

I appreciate the effort and like to look at the data from several different directions to better understand what has actually happened on the field. It's a bit crazy how different the recent past has been when compared to the perceptions confidently stated by Sports Talking Heads. My conclusion is that generally speaking the guys who write and talk about college football in the media don't do much homework. They climb on the dominant narrative and run with it regardless of the data on what actually happened.

A few weeks ago I looked at the data on how each league had done over several years against OOC opponents. I'll not go looking for that post, but I recall being surprised that the Big 10 won a higher percentage of OOC games than the SEC, and the ACC was not far behind the SEC.

I also looked at how the four most dominant teams in the country over the recent past had done against each other. The dominant teams are Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Clemson. Those teams have won their leagues a lot and have dominated the CFP. Here's how they have done against each other since 2010:

Ohio State is 2-3
Oklahoma is 1-3
Alabama is 3-4
Clemson is 6-2.

Another data point: Of the last six natty's the ACC has 3 coming from 2 teams, the Big 10 has 1 coming from Ohio State and the SEC has 2, both coming from Alabama.

Anyone who looks at what has actually happened on the field recently with respect for the facts will reach a different conclusion regarding the infamous EYE TEST and OLD PERCEPTION which says the SEC is head and shoulders better than anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good work CUJohn. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2019, 10:22 PM

Well Said Harley®

Perception is only reality in "soft headed groupies" minds! Easily brainwashed into believing basically all an SEC team has to do is show up! Not the case. They are good and the few slower ones among them don't understand nobody is saying SEC teams aren't good. People are saying, "they are nowhere near the out of this atmosphere, head and shoulders and top to bottom better than everybody else"! In fact, one could argue some years the SEC top to bottom isn't as good they certainly didn't impress anyone in 2016 season going 6-7 during bowl season. While ACC schools won the NC and as a conference went 9-3.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic