Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 89
| visibility 1

New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson

Oct 14, 2017, 12:29 AM

Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson

Zerrick Cooper took snaps with both the first-team and second-team this week, and when the game was on the line it was Cooper who got the call and not Hunter Johnson. Photo by Rich Barnes / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the you’re stooopid

Oct 14, 2017, 12:34 AM

Everyone saw that KB wasn’t ready to play but YOU, the coaches. Your loyalty to tenure will kill us and it almost killed our QB. I hope you learned tonight that half of anyone is never better than all of anyone. Duh!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: the you’re stooopid

Oct 14, 2017, 1:04 AM

I was really hoping Kelly would take himself out after he knew that he couldn't pick up the second and one when he tried to run the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson

Oct 14, 2017, 12:35 AM

God here we go again. Cole Stout gives us the best chance to win. He's the #1 guy. Anyone remember that b4 the fsu game??? Until the fans were up in an utter roar we forced Watson to see the field. Cooper looks like a deer in the headlights out there. Johnson has done nothing to not show he can't play winning football.

Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson

Oct 14, 2017, 1:02 AM

Man I wish I was a reporter so I could ask a few questions. Why there aren't more than 2 passes of 20 yards or more completed a game? Seems like the only big plays that happen this year are on runs. Is there really not a better kicker on the team? Do the receivers really not think about getting a first down before trying to make a move and get more yards? Is Tanner Muse really the answer at safety if he continually is caught out of position or doesn't try to wrap up and tackle someone?

Oct 14, 2017, 4:05 AM

Thank you for hitting on the no passes of more than 20 yards. We're called WRU for a reason but yet we don't get the ball to them down field to make plays. Our WRs are almost wasted talent this year. The staff essentially took what Alabama did last year on offense and are trying to use it this year with the mobile QB and running game.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:55 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

There are those players who play better in a game than they do in practice. Cooper may be the best in practice. From what little we have seen, Johnson has looked better on the field. That is not a knock on Cooper. It's just that everyone reacts differently under pressure. They won't say it but there had to be coaches that thought putting KB out there was a bad choice.Since KB was preordained to go into the game-which I'm sure he wanted to play-Johnson didn't get the practice time. Cooper didn't get the time he needed.Putting Johnson out there might have been a disaster but in retrospect, I'm sure it's more than a passing thought in the minds of many coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:39 PM

My thoughts exactly. Just compare the 2 in the WF game. Copper' s passes, especially on 3rd down, were badly off the mark, same as last night. Hunter calmly moved us down the field for a TD. Isn't that what we want? Who cares if he's a freshman? So is UGA's QB, and so was Jalen Hurts last year, and so was DW when he was finally put in. They said that we were out coached. Amen to that.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:05 PM

I agree Johnson came into the game and never looked back. Sometimes i wonder what our coaches are thinking about.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

We played a injured QB 1st half a back up QB the 2nd half. All while Johnson a 5star QB watched from the bench. A back up kicker that if he made the field goals this is a 3pt win. Blown coverages in the secondary all night. Penalties that gave them first downs all night and penalties that kept us from converting on first downs. That jet sweep to the right should have been called more. It seems like when we get something that works they abandon it.

Oct 14, 2017, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

"nothing to not show he can't..." What the heck does that mean? If you're saying Johnson should have played, I agree with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The coaches know what they're doing

Oct 15, 2017, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

We don't get to see Johnson in practice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We saw what he could do in a game which should be the

Oct 15, 2017, 3:28 PM

place that really counts.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:41 AM

okay I hear you....but when something is not working you got to forget all that BS and try something else....Hunter Johnson has showed he can finish drives (more so than Cooper) in limited playing time in game situations this year but did not even get his chance tonight....and most probably cost us this game....Go Tigers!!!!!!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 12:13 PM

That is probably the best analysis. Everyone I know watching the game could see that Bryant was hurt and shouldn't be in there (reminiscent of RG III during playoff game against Seattle, although not nearly as ridiculous). Cooper may have been best answer, maybe hunter wasn't ready for that specific type of defense,,,,who knows. Hunter just looked the part during his limited play, the way Watson would look the part, just better passer overall. We seem to struggle in this area when there is no clear cut superior qb. Cooper looked exactly like he did against Wake Forrest. It would have been nice to see hunter give it a try. That being said, I am still on board the natty train...if cooper comes out again and ineffective, I hope we can make the call and try the next guy, #freehunter, #freeETN

Oct 14, 2017, 12:42 AM

I've always backed up our coaches on decisions on the depth chart, but this one feels like they're just going with the senior player. I don't want to be too hard on Cooper. He didn't look that good. Just looking at the side by side tape from lat week's game, Johnson looked much better in a live game. Obviously, I don't attend practices. They must be seeing something I'm not.
That being said, offensive play calling was uninspired at best. I couldn't figure out what they were even trying to do. And the defensive effort was nonexistent. With the exception of Ferrell, that was not even close to big boy football. That was powderpuff. They were confused, out of position, and allowed themselves to be dominated physically. With such an anemic effort, you have to say the coaches didn't have them prepared.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:47 AM

The defense is on the staff. All Syracuse wants to do is go fast so the calls can't be late. There were too many plays where the entire Dline was standing up at the snap and had no shot to gain positive leverage.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:50 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

Lucy.....you got some splaining to do!
How will talk your way out of this?
Set Hunter free!!!!!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

I agree they pushed around all night long. There rb would still get 3 and 4 yards after contact. If i were a player i would never let that happen again. It was so hard to watch it was lime we just gave up and wanted the game to be over.

Out of all the coaches on our staff

Oct 14, 2017, 12:46 AM

I have the least faith in Tony Elliot. If he cannot see the OBVIOUS difference in talent between Johnson and Cooper then we better pray over KBs ankle then next two weeks.

IMO this was a big proving year for Elliot now that all the NFL talent is gone. It has become more obvious as the year has worn on that we miss Deshaun Watson changing his play calls at the line of scrimmage.

You're basing that on the 5 or 6 possessions

Oct 14, 2017, 1:22 AM

both Johnson and Cooper have had before tonight? You should be working in the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're basing that on the 5 or 6 possessions

Oct 14, 2017, 7:17 AM

Spring game?! You can tell that all comes off his hands differently.

Oct 14, 2017, 7:18 AM [ in reply to You're basing that on the 5 or 6 possessions ]

Spring game?! You can tell that all comes off his hands differently.

HJ looked bad in the Spring Game, use another example***

Oct 14, 2017, 7:47 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:15 PM [ in reply to You're basing that on the 5 or 6 possessions ]

yeah, were basing it off what we've actually seen in games...not off his height, weight and strong arm, that would be NFL type analysis

We are not looking for excuses just because we lost

Oct 14, 2017, 12:47 AM

Even if we had won, I would still question the decision to start KB. Everyone watching could see him limping around in the pocket trying to make a play. I just hope we didn't cause any further damage. As far as Cooper vs Johnson, I would have at least given Johnson a shot, because Cooper clearly wasn't ready. I haven't seen much of Johnson, but what little I did see last week looked very promising

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:49 AM

To be honest...i wouldve liked to have seen hunter take control. Zerrick however fits our offensive scheme this year better than johnson. Zerrick is a more mobile qb than hunter. Granted, i think hunter couldve made certain throws a bit better but it is what it is. I trust our coaches and the decisions that they made. TBH Zerrick played well all things considered. Instead of placing blame on the backups...lets look at where the problem really was. Our secondary played terrible. Constantly getting beat deep, wide open recievers, not turning the head looking for the ball...lets be honest...neither zerrick nor hunter couldve won with our D playing so bad.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:24 AM

Hunter Johnson is more mobile than zerrick. As far as physical attributes, zerrick is tajh as a RS freshman(big arm, power run), hunter seems to be closer to a DW4, we will see if he has the same killer instinct

Oct 14, 2017, 12:02 PM

Including Brice who was the better ranked, kicking ### qb coming in

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

The white guy is actually more mobile in this situation***

Oct 14, 2017, 6:10 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Oct 14, 2017, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

HJ is a Aaron Rodgers type qb hes not gonna run unless thats the move to pick up the yards needed ZC is more of a less quick KB with an inconsistent throwing motion and no pocket awareness he's not gotten better through the year like KB and HJ has and if he's not growing as a player he doesn't need to be playing sports. Granted I've never played football (soccer and wrestling) but if there was even a practice I didn't improve in footwork or motion I was ten times more motivated and that came from me. If your not motivated you sure as heck shouldn't start. Heck I've seen state champs sit on the bench because coaches think they are not motivated. Your heart might not always get you the win but playing without it always results in a straight up L.

All I know is Hunter Johnson played better then Cooper ....

Oct 14, 2017, 12:51 AM

last week at the WF game. What was he, like 6 for 6, TD, etc ? This is not a gub'ment job, where tenure alone is rewarded. I don't know if Hunter can run, but he sure can throw !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I know is Hunter Johnson played better then Cooper ....

Oct 14, 2017, 12:56 AM

> last week at the WF game. What was he, like 6 for 6,
> TD, etc ? This is not a gub'ment job, where tenure
> alone is rewarded. I don't know if Hunter can run,
> but he sure can throw !

Ummm.... He can run... Was a track star on HS...

Timed in the 4.6's....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, HJ was laser timed 4.73***

Oct 14, 2017, 10:56 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:24 PM [ in reply to All I know is Hunter Johnson played better then Cooper .... ]

Scroll down to a Steve Wiltfong video, and it shows that Hunter has some pretty good wheels. There are other Vids out there that show that Hunter has good wheels that I guess bc he competed in track. But he came to Clemson as a 5 star duel threat QB. In other reviews I've read about him, he has been compared as a DW4 2.0. What I do know and can be a witness to of Hunter's play in the Wake game, he absolutely smoked Cooper with his play. He gets the ball out very fast and can use his legs to put himself in a better position to get the ball out, and personally, I believe that would have been a great plus for our team against Cuse last night. I would bet anybody what ever, that he would have never threw the ball straight into the face of an all out blitz coming straight at him the way that Cooper did do. I still believe in Dabo and our coaches 110%. Dabo hasn't gotten us this far not knowing what he's doing but, I do agree with others that he plays that seniority card to a fault at times. I say this bc I can't believe for a second that in all honesty in his heart, that he believes that Cooper is a better QB than Hunter. Once he set his mind that he was going to give the ball to his seniority QB in Cooper, he meant that he was the next man up, there is no changing it. And I 110% believe that it cost the team, and it will again if Dabo don't change his thoughts that upper class-man are the best choice at the QB position, it will cost the team other losses. I think that Dabo was taught that experience was the best choice at the QB position, and it may have back then, but times have changed and these kids are way more talented than they were way back then. And playing extreme talent with a little experience is better than border line talent and a lot of experience. Extreme talent will win over ever time bc better talent reacts bc of a better understanding and they don't need extra time to think, bc their reaction becomes automatic....

https://247sports.com/Article/Clemson-QB-Hunter-Johnson-uses-strong-spring-to-put-himself-in-p-52358210

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 5:36 PM

You really are a dumba$$.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:51 AM

To be honest...i wouldve liked to have seen hunter take control. Zerrick however fits our offensive scheme this year better than johnson. Zerrick is a more mobile qb than hunter. Granted, i think hunter couldve made certain throws a bit better but it is what it is. I trust our coaches and the decisions that they made. TBH Zerrick played well all things considered. Instead of placing blame on the backups...lets look at where the problem really was. Our secondary played terrible. Constantly getting beat deep, wide open recievers, not turning the head looking for the ball...lets be honest...neither zerrick nor hunter couldve won with our D playing so bad.

Here we are 3 years later and Dabo still hasn't learned his

Oct 14, 2017, 1:04 AM

lesson about loyalty/seniority.

Remember the Cole Stoudt/Deshaun Watson situation? During the '14 UGA game, DW4 comes in and throws a laser strike for a TD. And for some reason, he doesn't stay in the game. Fast forward to the FSU game a few weeks later. Stoudt starts, stinks it up, Watson comes in and almost wins in Tallahassee. I firmly believe we win that game if DW4 starts.

The Wake Forest game is all you needed to show me about Cooper/Johnson. Cooper was 2-6 for 16 yards. Tonight he dinked and dunked everywhere but was only a serviceable QB at best. He couldn't hit a pass longer than 10 yards. Syracuse adjusted and shut our offense down. He reminds me of Stoudt.

Vs WF, Johnson was 5 for 5 for 42 yards and a TD. Made a great read, looked off the safety, nails Enniss across the middle for the score. That's the difference in a serviceable QB and a great QB. Johnson has the arm talent and can make the reads.

Johnson needs to start from here on out.

Re: Here we are 3 years later and Dabo still hasn't learned his

Oct 14, 2017, 1:11 AM

From your lips to Gods ears. The other thing that bugged me tonight was coaches for some reason didn't even try to get play calls on defense so the guys could get lined up. I understand you want to get your best play called but when there are players still looking at the sideline for a play and the offense is off to the races something is wrong. Just call a play screw it!!!!!

Also

Oct 14, 2017, 1:22 AM

Another thing at irks the crap out of me. WHY DID WE ABANDON THE RUN?!!

Especially with your backup QB coming in. That's football 101. Clemson's RB's had 15 carries for 137 yards tonight. THAT'S 9.13 YARDS PER FRIGGIN CARRY!

Why weren't we just hammering it away until they stopped us? In 30 something years of watching football I've never seen a team p iss away a game the way we did tonight.

Crazy how many things it took for Syracuse to win

Oct 14, 2017, 7:40 AM

Hope Coach Stallings gives Dabo an earfull for being sloppy!

Coaches fear starting Johnson causes Lawrence to decommit?

Oct 15, 2017, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Here we are 3 years later and Dabo still hasn't learned his ]

If they start Hunter Johnson and he looks better than Cooper & Bryant (which he certainly did against Wake on a limited sample size), then that could force the coaches to start Johnson after KB recovers, which could cause superstar-future-of-the-program Trevor Lawrence to decommit. I can't help but wonder if that strategic personnel planning is a large part of the coaches' decision making process for the starting QB.

Any QB can hand-off the ball but Johnson clearly seems to be the best passer, which seems like the type of QB you want for WRU. And Johnson showed REALLY good mobility, scrambling, & running in high school.

Re: Coaches fear starting Johnson causes Lawrence to decommit?

Oct 15, 2017, 3:20 PM

Lawrence won't decommit because he knows he can beat out Johnson for the job.

Even if Johnson were to take us to the playoffs? Doubt it.

Oct 15, 2017, 5:25 PM

If Johnson were to start, win-out, and take us to the playoffs, Trevor Lawrence is smart enough to know that there's a big RISK he'd be riding the pine for 3 years. Everyone knows that it's very hard to beat out a seasoned, successful incumbent-- especially as a true freshman. Why should Lawrence take the risk when there are other good schools that he can go to and almost definitely start in his first or second year?

And even if Lawrence is too stupid to see that risk, the real issue is whether or not the coaches want to take that risk.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:16 AM

Please stop the BS daboo!!!Fans aren't coaches, but most of them that Jones for FB year round aren't complete idiots either. Y'all fumbled this game away by trying to out smart your selves. Can't even religious coaches be honest with your self and your fans by telling the truth. We all know that you have done a great job getting Clemson to where we wanted her to be, but listening to coach BS is one thing we have never ask of you, nor is it something any of us want to hear. Regroup with the 15 days off by getting our team back healthy and shoot for the playoffs at the end. Poor A$S play calling, and not using the most accurate arm of our QB's gave Cuse one of two biggest game wins in their history bc of the same thing you have done one time before where the QB's are concerned. Do what you say that you do by playing the best players, and not the ones that has been at Clemson the longest. We have seen Zerrick and Hunter compete in the same game minutes apart, and Hunter smoked Zerrick. We can say only what we've seen for our sellves in the very same game against the same opponent, and Hunter was the better QB in that game for certain. Prove that he isn't, and we, I would shut the FK up about it. Speaking for myself, I have been a FB addict before you were born, and my eyes saw Hunter Johnson out play Zerrick Cooper, and so did the eyes of your most loyal die hard fans.

HJ did not win Elite 11 top QB out of luck

Oct 14, 2017, 1:24 AM

HJ won it based upon his leadership and skill sets competing against the top QB's in the nation with the pressure on. ZC did not undergo that level of scrutiny or pressure in high school. Our great coaches and great recruiters cost us a win tonight by not having our best and healthiest QB prepared and on the field. Mistakes happen. Tonight's loss was costly against one of worst team's in the ACC and college football.

^^needs to stay away from those recruiting sites^^***

Oct 14, 2017, 1:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously???***

Oct 14, 2017, 1:32 AM

They weren't smart with his injury, he wasn't ready, and he

Oct 14, 2017, 1:29 AM

got hurt worse...Other than that, they handled it perfectly

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They weren't smart with his injury, he wasn't ready, and he

Oct 14, 2017, 8:09 PM

He could be out up to five weeks for a concussion it didn't look bad but you never know he has to stay out till they are sure the symptoms are 100% over... this is why in wrestling we just lied and said we passed out from low blood sugar and never used the C word

Oct 14, 2017, 3:21 AM

So here is my simple question. If you ZC is your number 2 QB and has been so basically all along, why is that not reflected in the depth chart? If you are ranking ZC that way based on what you see, I respect that. I am not at practice and the coaches are paid millions to to evaluate their team. Who am I to complain about who goes in second? However, when the depth chart lists the backups as "or", that says to me they are equal and in that case it is entirely fair question to ask why one played and the other didn't.

Oct 14, 2017, 5:43 AM

These statements make no sense. Just last week after Hunter Johnson’s Wake performance he was moved up on the depth chart to equal on the depth chart and now the coaches are saying he was never considered as number two? The QB situation is now exposed. Other teams will do as Syracuse and dare Clemson to throw. Based on game tapes, why not give Hunter Johnson a chance to develop? The others are obviously not next level talent. We won’t be WR for Long if we don’t start getting all of these talented receivers the ball.

We will be airing it out next year with TL as our starter.****

Oct 14, 2017, 5:47 AM

Re: We will be airing it out next year with TL as our starter.****

Oct 14, 2017, 6:11 AM

Hope he stays hitched. If he doesn’t and Hunter Johnson leaves for a team that will develop him, we are in a pickle. I know this will be considered heresy by some, but Kelly Bryant does not have the tools or look the part of a pro talent QB. He does however appear to have the skill set and build of a promising tight end. Hunter Renfrow certainly made that a successful transition! Just sayin’.....

Re: We will be airing it out next year with TL as our starter.****

Oct 14, 2017, 8:10 PM

I've been saying this since last season and the spring game HJ just has the "IT" factor like DW you can't say what it is but you know he has "IT"

Oct 14, 2017, 7:28 AM

I have no problem with KB starting. I’ll give Dabo the benefit of the doubt that he was ready and then re-injured his ankle early in the game. But why in the world do you leave him in when he is hobbling around the field? The mistake was not pulling him until he was literally knocked out of the game.

As for ZC, maybe he plays better in practice, but game performance should be given more weight than practices. Before the season, I was a fan of ZC and thought that he would win the starting job, but it’s been clear after some game time that HJ is the obvious choice for #2. ZC is just wildly inaccurate on a lot of his throws. Why even rotate these players into games when we are ahead if you aren’t going to use that to decide the depth chart? It would be better to leave our starters in and blow opponents out like Alabama for the style points.

I don’t think starting KB cost us the game or was the wrong call. I think not having HJ in the game from the second quarter on cost us the game.

Oct 14, 2017, 7:42 AM

Site was hard to get too so I didn’t see this until this morning. So glad I didn’t read it last night now. Really wouldn’t have slept.

I do love our coaches. Obviously, look what they’ve given us but this is coach bs here. Just really does seem to be pig headed. Shouldn’t have started kb, should have given HJ at least a couple series to see.

Not sure what game film our coaches have watched all year but it was clear from day 1 our corners were the weak spot this year. Anytime we’ve rushed 3 this year we’ve given up big plays. Yeah missed assignments but mostly coaches mistakes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 7:45 AM

Cooper may be better in practice, we have no idea. However, Johnson has been better in games.

So, there is going to be controversy when all we see is a QB that has played better in games ride the pine and watch us lose. Dabo has no credibility in this dept either, as he was the one that let Deshaun watch a couple of losses while he stayed loyal to the less talented QB.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:18 AM

My take from last night is coaches are responsible for game prep and game decisions. Both were short of the mark. But, we fans should be all weather fans. Stick to our team even when we lose.

Our players didn't execute well. Can't lay that on the coaches. But we are a good team and will bounce back, much like did a year ago. So, let's all rally.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame Swinney and the coacehs, not the players

Oct 14, 2017, 9:32 AM

The team was completely unprepared and should be thoroughly embarrassed by the poor preparation and execution last night. The offense had a QB limping around, I am thinking the staff thought if Watson could beat the cluckers on one leg, so could Bryant, but there is no comparison in a pro quarterback and a division II-A caliber QB. Cooper proved last week he can not throw over 10 yards accurately last week, and let me add, the offensive staff could have gotten Bryant seriously injured last night, but would not pull him. The theatrics of Venables is getting to the ridiculous stage. There were several plays where the players were not set on defense; maybe they were still getting their signals and Syracuse would snap the ball...and this has been going on for several seasons. The defense let us down more that the offense, we could not stop the run, we could not cover anybody in the secondary.. before the word inexperienced comes up, I would think it would be the staff's responsibility to dumb down the schemes a little..Maybe the loss will wake up the team but the coaches need to be better prepared, as they have to play some pretty good teams are left on the schedule. I am now wondering the whole sale substitutions are affecting the team's durability, at the end of the game the defense looked fat and out of shape. Just my $.02

Oct 14, 2017, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

Well said. Plenty of blame to go around. And the coaches and players know that. Let's be true Tigers and give the guys the positive support they have earned over the last several years!

GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 10:04 AM

The well said comment was to Eagle.

If KB was my son.........

Oct 14, 2017, 9:27 AM

I would be a little pissed that the coaches did that to him. The coaches are completely responsible for his injury. Everyone watching the game knew he was hurt for the exception of three coaches. If Johnson was my son, I'm probably ready to transfer to a school that wants him. When Trevor Lawerence gets there next year, will Dabo not start him because he is a freshman as well? I said It when KB was named the starter "here we go again" referring to the stoudt debacle and was chastised by many on tigernet by probably some of you here now saying the same thing.

Re: If KB was my son.........

Oct 14, 2017, 9:59 AM

Hope your son doesn't play football for his sake and any potential team he might play for. Glad we still have enough loyal fans to chastise people who think they know more than the coaches. And yes I'm still saying the same thing. Get on board and support the team and coaches in a positive way like true Tiger fans !!!

Oct 14, 2017, 12:57 PM

Hope you don't have a son for his sake if you thinks it's ok to have an injured kid get used up and possibly doing more damage because the "coach knows best" . Oh, and if you question the coaching staff then your not a fan. Give me a break.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:05 PM

I might not have made the comment I did if you had stopped at questioning playing Kelly. The comment that if Hunter was your son you'd be looking to have him transfer is the one that I don't agree with. I'm guessing you took your ball and went home a lot when you were a kid. I do have a son who is an upstanding citizen and was a backup on his high school football team. He contributed when called on and learned important life lessons about being part of a team including that you don't always get to call the shots. In those cases you defer to the person who knows best - And on a football team yes that is the coach.
GO TIGERS!! ALL IN ALL THE TIME!

A little? He's not my son and I was livid!

Oct 15, 2017, 3:44 PM [ in reply to If KB was my son......... ]

Shame, shame on the coaches for letting him get clobbered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I set the over/under at 80.

Oct 14, 2017, 9:40 AM

That's the o/u on the highest IQ of the commenters to this thread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 9:41 AM

If 2nd qtrbk couldn't why not use Third who was highly r
ecruited

Oct 14, 2017, 10:07 AM

My concern is the coaches accepted blame for all of the other failed areas of the game (too many to list) but will not admit being wrong on the QB decisions. More losses could follow with this mentality.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:16 AM

If we continue making poor decisions like the ones last night, we will lose 2 more games at least.

Hunter should have started over Cooper***

Oct 14, 2017, 10:19 AM

We have best coaches in country but they **

Oct 14, 2017, 10:52 AM

We have best coaches in country but they had a bad night. Hard to defend any decisions in that game. Awful.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson ]

Agreed. Lets hope they can sort it out better going forward. They have done a great job in the past. also, read about Dabo after game going to syracuse locker room and congratulating Dyracuse players, the coaches, just all class! Franklin was just blown away by Dabos humble, classy move. #alwaysatiger

Let me see if I got this,

Oct 14, 2017, 11:05 AM

Watson starts w/ torn ACL, genius; Stout is "coached up" to beat OK, genius; Coaches see QBs 7 days a week since August, we see one for half a game six times and coaches are dufusses for not playing the one we think might be better. Too bad there aren't more coaching openings so each of you could get into the profession you aspire to. Whatever you say won't change a thing, so get "All In" 100% please. And no, fan outcry did not lead to DW4 starting over Cole S.

Re: Let me see if I got this,

Oct 14, 2017, 12:50 PM

But you can't just deny what you saw in the wake game, it was real, and when considering he came to Clemson as one of the best 5 star duel threat QB in the country hands down. So tell us, are we suppose think or believe just bc we're not on the inside looking, are we to believe that Hunter is just an over rated joe blow QB that got lucky he was recruited by Clemson and 23 of the top FB schools in the country. He may not be the best QB on roster, but we don't know that bc he wasn't given a shot to make something happen in last nights game. And even if he would've screwed up, a loss is still a loss regardless of the score you lose by. But a win works out the same way, and Cooper's inability to put the ball in any receivers hand is the reason we lost, and we have seen Hunter go 5 for 5 with a TD against what I think maybe has a better D than Cuse.

Oct 15, 2017, 12:49 PM

Exactly correct, allorangeallthetime.

Even if as a coach, based on everything one sees from the beginning of the season until now, one believes that ZC is the better backup...when he fails to play well in the game he should've been pulled out and HJ put in. It is mind-boggling that the coach got on the Cooper path and refused to change paths, even when it became obvious Cooper was accomplishing nothing. Why not at least put in HJ in and see what he can do??? It's not as if he could've done worse.

Heck, HJ made Wake's defense look completely ineffective, went 5 for 5 on passes, and threw a TD pass! The kid can THROW! Protect him, let him hurl the ball down field, use our stud RBs for the running element, and win! Passing well opens up runs, and running well opens up passes.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Let me see if I got this, ]

Amen to everything you just said, BethelBoy

Go Tigers!

QB road is leading to Hunter Johnson

Oct 14, 2017, 2:18 PM

I think we can see where this is going. Too late for Friday night though. With Kelly in concussion protocol and a damaged ankle, we obviously need a new starting quarterback.

During the two weeks before GT both Hunter and Zerrick will practice with the first team. If Zerrick starts against GT and fizzles then Hunter is the next QB up and the pressure will be overwhelming to put him in to save the day.

The offense needs the two weeks to adjust plays to Hunter's style and still be within the coaches scheme of attack. We will need exceptional, consistent play out of the OL to get this working. TE and receivers need to be razor sharp.

Wish we had a great kicker. That alone would have won the game, but we don't. Makes you really miss Chandler - from past years, and Greg.

Ok, long distance coaching over.

Next opponent up! GO TIGERS!

Re: New Story: Coaches detail why Bryant got the start, why Cooper came in over Johnson***

Oct 14, 2017, 5:24 PM

Oct 14, 2017, 5:30 PM

Blah, blah, blah. You guys do some genius stuff often then every now and then you look like the biggest ######### on the planet. I don’t give a #### about practice. Have you really watched the game film on cooper and Johnson? Really? And are you telling me a school with h the soccer program we have you’re not capible of having a guy that is money from 50 every time? Really? Buzz Danny up, maybe he can educate you all

Canned excuse prepared for whichever game we played really flat

Oct 14, 2017, 5:45 PM

Nothing to read here, everyone saw KN struggling to stand much less move around. Progressively worse as 2nd quarter and last drive he was out on his feet before he was concussed. Easy to say that today, the heat of a game we are losing can and will cloud the judgement of those in charge. But, KB should not have been in the game at that point, no way!!

Oct 14, 2017, 6:01 PM

Look, I love cooper but after 2 weeks of action it is very apparent to anyone his rifle arm has no touch or timing. He s got a shortstops arm. He was missing open guys by 5, 10 yards. Anyone who saw the wake game could see the better arm hunter has, night and day. They were daring us to pass.
This was like waiting to start tahj and then deshaun out of seniority/ loyalty.
Big fail on tbe coaches getting them ready and not adjusting. Just needed one drive.
Defense let us down the most tho.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:19 PM

The bottom line in all this is we failed. What went wrong and how can it be corrected? You have to honestly look at the game and order of the events. Never let what happened happen again. How could it be prevented? An after action report is needed.

Oct 15, 2017, 12:16 AM

No shortage of blame here - coaches didn't prepare and coach and players didn't perform. We know we have QB issues this year and expect the D to step up - not back down like they did. We know Dabo will go with experience over the new guy. He was supposed to have gotten over that after Parker and then Stout but no doubt what he does makes the players loyal to him and team (you pay your dues and then you get to play..) so this is not all bad in the big picture for loyalty. However, playing a guy who wasn't ready (great comparison to RGIII above) with an OL that has stunk all year and devoid of defense was a recipe for disaster and that is just what we got. No one was ready, period.
The good news is we CAN regroup like we did last year and make a run - we still control our own destiny but we need somebody who can complete a forward pass and use some of our best weapons. Game day play says that's likely to be HJ but we don't know how limited he might be (or not). There's a difference in running a few hand-picked plays and managing a complete game. I'm not at practice so I have to trust the coaches on that. No matter who is in there, we have to cover receivers, make tackles, not call dumb plays and learn to manage the clock better.

Oct 15, 2017, 3:43 PM

If our coaches were in the military and was asked why they chose their course of action, their response should have been "No excuse, sir".

That is the ONLY response that would be acceptable, showing that you made some ignorant decisions, and you own them and accept repercussions from your decisions. Their are NO EXCUSES that are allowed in this type of situation.

Oct 15, 2017, 7:22 PM

It's a football game. Little different than military decisions. Contrary to what some tNetters are saying, no one's life was at stake.

"Put Luckie in, coach!"***

Oct 15, 2017, 8:13 PM

Re: "Put Luckie in, coach!"***

Oct 15, 2017, 8:35 PM

I have read David's piece I bet a hundred times. What the coaches said just does not add up. It seems like a scripted response from all three of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2017, 9:58 AM

Kelly Bryant has been great but take away his ability to escape and run and you take 65% of his game away. Zerrick Cooper can throw a country mile but cant seem to hit the broadside of a barn from 20 yards out. Hunter Johnson seems to be able to knock the slobber off of a gamecocks beak at a bamer game. The only thing Zerrick can have on Hunter at this point is higher score on playbook tests.

Replies: 89
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic