Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Neglected Truth About Championship Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Neglected Truth About Championship Game

Aug 18, 2019, 1:36 PM

Funny how so many pundits say the stats of last year’s championship game weren’t that one sided for us. What they neglect is that by the end of the game Clemson could score at will. It was a total submission, rear naked choke hold. We could easily have scored half a century.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Neglected Truth About Championship Game

Aug 18, 2019, 2:15 PM

Before the game the talking heads had 2 main reasons for favoring Bama.
#1- Clemson secondary couldn’t handle Bama’s passing attack. The talking heads were of course dead wrong about that, but they never bothered to mention that they were dead wrong.
#2- No Freshman QB can handle Bama’s defense. They were again of course dead wrong about that, but they reacted to reality punching them in the face, as if Trevor had performed a miracle.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:37 PM

True. For all the ifs and buts from Bama fans after the game, here's the flipside of the "what if" game:

We held the ball for the final 10:02. That's the longest drive in Clemson football history. We threw ONE pass on that drive, a dump into the flat to a 3rd string receiver that went for no gain. Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross spent the entire drive, if I'm not mistaken, watching from the sidelines.

If Dabo had pulled Trevor, Tee, and Justyn to the sidelines before that drive and said, "Boys, that defense is completely beaten and tired. I'm leaving you three in the game, and I'm leaving the playbook wide open. Let's see how many records we can set" . . . the final score would have been 51-16 at least, maybe 65-16.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Gotta put points on the board***

Aug 18, 2019, 2:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 2:52 PM

I mean we basically scored at will the entire game. 2 punts in the 1st and 1 punt in the third.

Aug 18, 2019, 6:25 PM

/thread. Thank you!

The fact Alabama could not stop our offense is THE story of the game. There isn't much else besides that. Sure Alabama failed a lot in the red zone but that was the story of their season and shouldn't have surprised anyone. Once CBV told the DBs to deny the long ball, Alabama's red zone weakness impaled them.

A few nutty pundits can say what they will.

Aug 18, 2019, 3:14 PM

Everybody who pays the least bit of attention to college football knows Clemson curb-stomped Alabama. Even most pundits fully note this.

And the Bama players and head coach damn-well know it too. They were the receiving-end of it. Their nonsense utterances are ego-protection and nothing more.

I think both things can be true

Aug 18, 2019, 6:31 PM

Bama quit in the 4th q and we could've scored another TD on them but they also squandered a lot of scoring chances earlier in the game that would've kept it closer. Had it been closer they might not have rolled over late.

Re: I think both things can be true

Aug 18, 2019, 10:34 PM

They didn't squander it. It was denied. The stats wouldn't have been as close as they were if we played different defensive scheme. The score would have been a little closer, but the stats would have been way skewed in our favor.

Instead BV decided to give everything underneath which disappears in the redzone. And that played right into our strengths... now what... try to score on us. BV knew they wouldn't be able to. Again, not squandered, denied.

These things snowball though. They probably should've

Aug 19, 2019, 7:58 AM

gone up 20-14 but they got that false start at the 1 and settled for a FG. Later in the game they kept going for it instead of kicking FGs because they were down 2-3 TDs. They could've very reasonably scored 10 more points just by punching that first one in for a TD and then making two fairly short FGs on two of the three possessions that ended deep in our territory in the 3rd Q.

I'm not saying they deserved to win that game, but the scenarios just become different very quickly. If Bama is down 31-20 instead of 31-16 they probably kick that FG instead of faking it. Make that (obviously not a given) and it's 31-23 and a 1 possession game. Does that mean they win the game? Of course not. But it is why people suggest this game probably should've been closer than 28 points.

I am sure glad Saban wasn't naked in his submission!***

Aug 18, 2019, 7:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Particularly his rear***

Aug 19, 2019, 10:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 9:18 PM

To me the thing that the talking heads want to leave out is that Alabama went for it 6 times on 4th down. Their stats were padded by the 3 times they made it and the 16 points they scored are that much more glaring. If you gamble that often and still can't stick it in the endzone then why should anybody think that they could compete using a conventional strategy.

Here’s another neglected truth:

Aug 18, 2019, 9:41 PM

We won (by a lot) and nothing that anyone says or writes can ever change that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama got gender reassignment that night.

Aug 19, 2019, 10:06 AM

I have no idea how anyone can spin that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus THESE Neglected Truths Revealed

Aug 19, 2019, 10:52 AM

Tua (and even Saban) can be rattled and forced to make bad decisions [INTs on Tua's part; fake FGs & QB keepers on 4th & goal from too far out on Saban's part].

Bama's depth was not that of CU's in a number of areas - AND - at least some of that was caused by the turnover rate in asst coaches. Rece Davis mentioned it during the game - either in the last 5, 8 or 10 years....whatever yardstick he used - Saban lost/replaced 20 assistants to Dabo's - THREE. Hey - it was a BIG factor in Ross's choosing Clemson over Bama.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic