Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best way to explain the transfer problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,667

Best way to explain the transfer problem

Feb 9, 2019, 8:24 AM

For all of you that think that players should be able to transfer without sitting or penalty , “because coaches can”.

Let’s say one or two of our coaches leave for other jobs, head coach , coordinator etc. and each take 3 or more with him to new school. Or God, forbid, Dabo decides to go back to Bamma. Half the team decides to go with him and play there.

This is crazy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO, it isn't...

Feb 9, 2019, 8:32 AM

Half the team's going to sit a year? Who's gonna suit up and play? Who's going to foot the bill while the players sit a year, if that's necessary.

If anything, the transfer rule will show up in the APR numbers eventually. Also, tracking the schools who have excessive transfers will ultimately mess with recruiting. A program can't be 'honest' and lead the pack in transfers, too. There's a cause and effect to it all.

Lastly, transfers come down to evaluating non-football attributes...maturity, integrity, work ethic and such, rather than a fixation on stars and 'what everyone else is doing'.

A player who transfers with a degree is an entirely different matter and doesn't compromise the aforementioned attributes in my view.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NO, it isn't...

Feb 9, 2019, 9:27 AM

Salty55 said:

Half the team's going to sit a year? Who's gonna suit up and play? Who's going to foot the bill while the players sit a year, if that's necessary.

If anything, the transfer rule will show up in the APR numbers eventually. Also, tracking the schools who have excessive transfers will ultimately mess with recruiting. A program can't be 'honest' and lead the pack in transfers, too. There's a cause and effect to it all.

Lastly, transfers come down to evaluating non-football attributes...maturity, integrity, work ethic and such, rather than a fixation on stars and 'what everyone else is doing'.

A player who transfers with a degree is an entirely different matter and doesn't compromise the aforementioned attributes in my view.

That is the point of this whole discussion. Many want players to avoid sitting because coaches do not have to sit. Plus all the players have to do now is say they committed to the coach that is leaving and the NCAA waived the year sit penalty. Or bla a team mate that hurls a slur at you and the ncaa waives the penalty. The 1 year sit should be a firm rule. The NCAA has zero backbone .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NO, it isn't...

Feb 9, 2019, 9:33 AM

Agree, should be a hard rule even for sick parents. Unfortunately, Belk leaving has potential to hurt us bad because we don’t oversign.

It’s going to be a problem with the open door policy where you don’t have to sit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll agree to disagree

Feb 9, 2019, 9:38 AM

I can't subscribe to that. It's simply unfair to suggest you commit to the school and not the coach. Suppose Dabo leaves and Chump takes over. You want to stay? On second thought, I'd probably sit two years if need be! LOL!

Still...I'm not on board with hard and fast. Players need flexibility, too. If you run your program right, you need not fear. Three players returned last year...I'd say things are in a good place at Clemson. Let the other 127 programs worry about transfers...

Re: We'll agree to disagree

Feb 9, 2019, 9:48 AM

Salty55 said:

I can't subscribe to that. It's simply unfair to suggest you commit to the school and not the coach. Suppose Dabo leaves and Chump takes over. You want to stay? On second thought, I'd probably sit two years if need be! LOL!

Still...I'm not on board with hard and fast. Players need flexibility, too. If you run your program right, you need not fear. Three players returned last year...I'd say things are in a good place at Clemson. Let the other 127 programs worry about transfers...

That is just wrong . There are millions and millions of dollars involved. Dabo goes to Bama and half the team can just go with him with no penalty ? Ludicrous . The ncaa is about to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. It will be a disaster if players are allowed , for all practice purpose, full free agency every year

Evolve...or die

Feb 9, 2019, 10:15 AM

The game's gonna die anyway, at the rate things are going. Anchoring players in place out of fear is not going to end well. Besides, the whole process is one court ruling from being dissolved anyway. While every program seeks to limit movement with rules, Dabo has instilled a culture that makes Clemson a destination. I'd be less concerned with transfers and more about how to manage the 'huddled masses arriving at the gates'.

Anyway...moving on.

Re: Best way to explain the transfer problem

Feb 9, 2019, 9:54 AM

Is it in Dabo to take schollies away from half the bama team to make room for the players that move with him? Or are they going to pay there own way?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2019, 10:05 AM

Is it in Dabo to take schollies away from half the bama team to make room for the players that move with him? Or are they going to pay there own way?

You are looking for reasons to disagree with how big a problem this is for college football. If for example Chad Morris could have taken his offensive skill players with him when he left for SMU. How different would things have been there? And at Clemson. Look at the potential impact of no ability to manage your rosters?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Best way to explain the transfer problem ]

You are looking for reasons to disagree with how big a problem this is for college football. If for example Chad Morris could have taken his offensive skill players with him when he left for SMU. How different would things have been there? And at Clemson. Look at the potential impact of no ability to manage your rosters?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:25 AM

What an asinine series of posts.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know...it's a few minutes you'll never get back

Feb 9, 2019, 10:28 AM

Bless your heart.

At least we're agreeing to disagree, without being condescending.

Re: LA high schools' transfer problem

Feb 9, 2019, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Best way to explain the transfer problem ]

Remember these guys are supposed to be students first, athletes second.

A friend coaches football at a private school in LA. My understanding from him is that the great state of Louisiana required all public schools to teach the same curriculum so that athletes could transfer between schools within the same season and not be set back as a student.

Last time we talked, he was upset that his private school was being pressured to get into this open transfer system. The private school education is a great recruiting tool for students, but not for athletes. Some boosters wanted access to public school transfers (some would say "public school rejects"). In order to do that, the school's academics would have to be lowered considerably for at least some students.

Maybe my thought here is overly simplified, but i think where each fan stands on this transfer-without-penalty concept is based on what you think of your school's education. If the average 19- year old 4-star can come to your school, pick up his degree program right where he left off before transferring from somewhere else, and not have difficulty with his classes beyond his normal tutoring, you'll want them to be free to do so, if you think your school will have a net gain from this.

It also means your school's diploma is worth less than a pile of rocks, except to the people making money rubber-stamping his classwork.

Why would half the team leave?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:21 AM

Surely many of them like Clemson and will want to stay and not relocate. Also, how does Dabo make room for half the Clemson team at Bama? Just he just dismiss 40 Bama players? No.

Re: Why would half the team leave?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:50 AM

Well, to be fair, 40 Bama players will follow Nicky to his safe room.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would half the team leave?

Feb 9, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Why would half the team leave? ]

If college athletes have the same freedoms as pros:

Look at the Lebron-as-a-Laker fiasco.

Lebron comes--that's supposed to be a good thing to Luke Walton, right?
Until Lebron starts recruiting players currently under contract elsewhere. Now he's causing ripple-effect dissatisfaction throughout the league. He's also impeding Luke Walton's ability to develop his players, because he might actually be "coaching up" the guys who are eventually going to beat him after he has to dump them to make room for Lebron's posse.
And where does Lebron get off telling his Laker teammates which ones--who have all been Lakers longer than him--can stay?

This is the wrong solution to the overstocking problem the NCAA has always had to contend with.

It is one thing to allow players the freedom to determine who they will play for, and make that decision. We are heading down the road of allowing the players the tyranny of deciding who can play with them, as though some players have the right to decide and others don't.
In that case, Team First will not be possible. Nor will it be credible when coaches preach it.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,667
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic