Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help an old fart out! Question about ACCN, providers, etc.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Help an old fart out! Question about ACCN, providers, etc.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:03 PM

So, I'm pushing 50 years old and not as tech savvy as I once was. I've got Dishnetwork as a TV provider. Of course I called them and lodged my complaint that they don't have the ACCN and let them know that DirectTV does. Here are my questions...

1) I know I can got to Youtube TV or Hulu to get the ACCN. However, does my cable internet provider (Xfinity) have to carry the ACCN in order for me to be able to view it on Youtube TV?
2) If I go with a streaming service, will I get 1080p quality video or something less or will they surprise me and stream in 4k?? If YoutubeTV doesn't stream at 1080p or 4k, does Hulu? In other words, who's the best for streaming?
3) Has anyone heard if the GT game is ONLY on ACCN or will it also be televised nationally on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU?

Any help is appreciated. I'm too old for all of this crap. Life was simpler with three channels and listening to Jim Philips (you youngsters won't understand) call games on the radio with my dad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Help an old fart out! Question about ACCN, providers, etc.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:16 PM

You're not even 50 yet, you're just a fart. Us old farts are just avoiding the technical complications and going to the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 1:21 PM

I followed the Tigers on radio for decades before every pissant game everywhere was on TV. Won't bother me to do it again for a few games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But listening to Don after a while makes me wanna...

Aug 17, 2019, 6:15 AM

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Help an old fart out! Question about ACCN, providers, etc. ]

I wish I could go and I would if I still lived in SC. I'm in Texas now. Talk about a long drive. I will be there for the A&M game though.

Aug 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

Wish you could be there, and the best of luck with the tv. I have every confidence in your success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Answers below:

Aug 16, 2019, 1:21 PM

1) I know I can got to Youtube TV or Hulu to get the ACCN. However, does my cable internet provider (Xfinity) have to carry the ACCN in order for me to be able to view it on Youtube TV?

NO. YOU DON'T. Youtube TV and Hulu Live are about $50 per month

2) If I go with a streaming service, will I get 1080p quality video or something less or will they surprise me and stream in 4k?? If YoutubeTV doesn't stream at 1080p or 4k, does Hulu? In other words, who's the best for streaming?

ALL STREAMING APPS STREAM AT 1080P AND 4K. AS LONG AS YOUR INTERNET SPEED SUPPORTS IT.

3) Has anyone heard if the GT game is ONLY on ACCN or will it also be televised nationally on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU?

IT IS ONLY ON ACCN

And ONE MORE THING: so much goes into assuring you're getting 4K or 1080p. To see the 4k performance, you must have

-- internet service that streams above 100 mbps (ask your service provider)
-- a 4k streaming box
-- a 4k TV
-- 4k HDMI cables.

If any of those four things are missing in your chain, you are NOT seeing 4k.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Answers below:

Aug 16, 2019, 1:24 PM

What he said.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Answers below: ]

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2019, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Answers below: ]

SLING IS $15 a month.
1st game may only be the only live game we have on ACCN.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:23 PM

I switched to Playstation Vue recently because they were an early announce as an ACCN provider. I have no experience with other streamers, but have been pleased with the quality of video. There are things I don't like about the guide and a couple of DVR issues, but quality of stream has not been an issue. I also switched to Spectrum internet at the same time so I get 100mbps, or 200 with my newest TV accepting 5G signal, so I think that has made live streams better. I can only judge from baseball and basketball thus far.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:53 PM

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2019, 1:23 PM

I'm older, and fart a lot, but not tech savvy either. However, if you can need your carrier (Xfinity) to carry it before you can watch on YouTube, why would you need YouTube?

I think, not certain, that streaming services from Youtube still requires some type of membership. Hulu certainly does.

To give you perspective on my qualifications; I have Spotify for music, and I'm told I get Hulu included, but haven't figured out how....yet.

Your internet provider provides internet

Aug 16, 2019, 1:29 PM

That is all they do. They have control over your internet speed and your internet consumption.

As of now, they dont have control of your content. You can use your internet to stream videos of clowns jumping herbals all day.. you'r internet provider can't stop you.

How you use that internet is up to ypu. Think of it like a gas station. The gas station can control the type of gas you buy, how much you buy, and the price ypu pay. They can't tell you what to do with that gas. You can put it in a truck, lawmiwwr, clown ahole... whatever.

You pick a tv provider. You pay the tv provider for the channels you want to watch. They dont care what internet you use, or even if you have internet... they only care about getting your dollars.

Once you chose them, you use your I internet to connect to their service.

You tie the two together.. they dont care about each other.

So no...internet provider is irrelevant in choosing how you watch tv.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Your internet provider provides internet

Aug 16, 2019, 1:55 PM

Got it. Thanks.

My thoughts on your questions below

Aug 16, 2019, 1:48 PM

1) I know I can got to Youtube TV or Hulu to get the ACCN. However, does my cable internet provider (Xfinity) have to carry the ACCN in order for me to be able to view it on Youtube TV? No, if you pay for YouTubeTV of Hulu service (or take the free week), you'll be able to get ACC network.

2) If I go with a streaming service, will I get 1080p quality video or something less or will they surprise me and stream in 4k?? If YoutubeTV doesn't stream at 1080p or 4k, does Hulu? In other words, who's the best for streaming? YoutubeTV does have 1080p quality but not sure it applies to all their channels. Not sure about 4K.

3) Has anyone heard if the GT game is ONLY on ACCN or will it also be televised nationally on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU? GT game as I understand it will only be on ACCN and if your service has that channel you can also view on ESPN3 but you can't stream via ESPN3 if your service provider does not carry ACCN.

Hope that helps.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thoughts on your questions below

Aug 16, 2019, 1:59 PM

It does help. Thanks. One follow on question...

So assume I go and sign-up for YoutubeTV and find myself in a situation where I need to stream on ESPN3. To authenticate with ESPN3, my cable / network provided is now YoutubeTV? Is that correct?

Re: My thoughts on your questions below

Aug 16, 2019, 2:57 PM

So assume I go and sign-up for YoutubeTV and find myself in a situation where I need to stream on ESPN3. To authenticate with ESPN3, my cable / network provided is now YoutubeTV? Is that correct?

Correct.

Thanks for all the insight!!***

Aug 16, 2019, 1:59 PM

Aug 16, 2019, 2:01 PM

I can't help you on the game but on the old fart..you don't qualify.You
can't even qualify for an old fart waving hand for the back window of
your car until you are 55. Just enjoy being young for now.

Aug 17, 2019, 1:43 AM

DISH and Sling have (had ACCN for 3 seasons now) it.

Aug 17, 2019, 2:10 AM

Looks like you have the TV thing figured out, now onto other aspects of being over 50. The use of ‘THE’, as in THE YouTube. Other places you should be using it is:
THE Facebook
THE Walmart (my personal fav)
I’m sure other old farts out there could helpwith examples. Note, this is NOT a list, only examples.
HTH

Aug 17, 2019, 7:26 AM

Not sure if I missed it, but how fast is your internet service? I use AT&T fiber optic and it is 100 Mbps (megabits per second). Not all services are that fast, and that affects how much you can stream. You asked about 4K, so to actually get 4K streaming, you're probably going to need a fast internet. You'll also need a way to stream to your TV, like a Roku, or Chromecast Ultra (for 4K content). I think there are some firesticks or other devices that will do 4K.

The game will NOT be broadcast in 4K (unless a miracle happens). Nobody does that for football games yet unless I missed it. I think ND did something like that, but not sure. SO expect the games to be in 1080p, and lots of streaming devices will work for you.

It sounds like you actually have a 4K TV since you're asking about it. So I recommend that you go with a Chromecast Ultra (~ $70 new, I bought pre-owned on Ebay for $50) and attach a LAN cable from your router to the brick (the part that plugs into the outlet) to get the best performance for 4K movies, etc. You can control Youtube TV with an app on your iphone/ipad, or a PC/Laptop with a Chrome browser, and cast to the TV. It works great. BUT - If you do NOT have a fast internet, then you might can only obtain 1080p regardless of the broadcast or other equipment.

You can find out how fast your internet is by running a speedtest (just Google it, Ookla is a good one).

Aug 17, 2019, 7:42 AM

So, I'm pushing 50 years old and not as tech savvy as I once was. I've got Dishnetwork as a TV provider. Of course I called them and lodged my complaint that they don't have the ACCN and let them know that DirectTV does. Here are my questions...

Any help is appreciated. I'm too old for all of this crap. Life was simpler with three channels and listening to Jim Philips (you youngsters won't understand) call games on the radio with my dad.

1. No. Your streaming TV service needs to carry ACCN for you to be able to view it. With 3 streaming services carrying ACCN - Playstation Vue, YouTubeTV, and Hulu Live TV, you could do free trials for each of these throughout the season and never have to pay to watch most of the games on ACCN.

2. All live TV in the USA, whether streaming, satellite, or cable, is broadcast at 720p or 1080i. There are no live TV broadcasts at 1080p or 4K. There are movies that you can watch at 1080p or 4K on different services (Netflix, etc.), but not the streaming live TV services. The key with streaming live TV is to get 60fps. This is what really matters for sports, and most of the streaming services now do stream at 60fps and 720p or 1080i.

Another way to state this - YouTube and Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime and Vudu can stream movies at 1080p/4K. But YouTubeTV, Hulu LiveTV and PSVue cannot improve their live stream TV beyond 720p or 1080i, because this is the resolution that the TV networks send to them. Now your TV or streaming box/stick will usually upscale that broadcast (720p/1080i) to match your TV's resolution (1080p/4K), but that upscaling doesn't make the picture look any better than what it actually is - 720p/1080i.

3. If you have a login to a streaming TV service that carries ACCN, you can use that same login on the ESPN app, and you'll be able to watch ACCN there, too.

My recommendation - try PSVue. It is the most cable-like of the streaming TV services. It has the most sports channels of all of them (NFL Network, NFL Redzone). All of the channels are in 60fps, so sports looks smooth. And it has an unlimited DVR.

Aug 17, 2019, 7:43 AM

If you don't have internet service, and you are in a place that offers AT&T fiber internet, they are offering 300mbs for $40 right now. You really can't beat that price.

Aug 17, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Help an old fart out! Question about ACCN, providers, etc. ]

How can I find out what fps I'm streaming at?

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic