Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on " Us verses Them " mentality
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,830

My take on " Us verses Them " mentality

Feb 7, 2015, 6:26 AM

To be a Clemson fan to me, is more than hating the other team. The coot jokes are funny up to a point but after a while it becomes obsessive. When did being a Tiger fan mean hating the coots more than loving the Tigers? I saw more joy over the fact that their recruiting class was a joke at #20 ranking than the joy of our top 5 class. I realize a lot of their fan base hates Clemson and will spare nothing to point that out but we do the same and somehow this vicious circle continues. Then, some tragedy occurs and there is an outpouring of support and sympathy from one school to the other, this is how mature adults act. However, within 5 minutes of someone reporting that a tragedy occurred in Columbia the tasteless jokes started. I'm sure if this had occurred on our campus, the same would have happened on their fan sites but that doesn't make it right!

I dislike the coots as much as anyone but I also understand that there are things that are bigger than the Coots vs. the Tigers. Real people, not some anonymous handle on a fan site, are dead and it's tragic. When the Tucker Hipps death was announced I am sure there were a few classless coot fans that made tasteless jokes but there was a large outpouring of support from the students in Columbia. It also occurred when the young Clemson female student passed away after her battle with cancer, it was touching and very human. I think that's what it comes down to, people showing human kindness despite our differences. I will never tell people how they should behave or respond to situations that's on them. For me, being a Clemson Alumnus, I know when to put aside the rivalry and just be a human being.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on " Us verses Them " mentality

Feb 7, 2015, 6:43 AM

Just to add, Clemson has had this Top 5 class for a while. For the most part, the class has been in tact for months, the excitement for most was when they committed and stayed committed. To see the chickens start in the top 10 a few months ago and tailspin out of the top 20 is a point to "failure" for them we all enjoyed. Yes, its still top 25, although I feel it was $ec media/money enduced, its more than likely at top 30. Telling fans how to react to certain things whether it involves recruiting, a game or an event in life is setting yourself up to look judgemental.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 9:04 AM

Sometimes it takes a judge to speak up and give people an outside look at themselves.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Social media has given rise to outpourings of what I like to

Feb 7, 2015, 6:55 AM

call "tongue-wagging," wherein every man has his chance for 15 minutes of fame - or infamy.

No longer are we required to ponder thoughts prior to speaking, for we don't have to face our subjects. Rather we become internet heroes or villains, usually resulting in afterthoughts of glee or remorse once we read what we post.

That's why the prudent man will reflect on serious matters prior to hitting the "post message" button, making certain he is opining that which he would be willing to say to another, face-to-face.

Realistically, I feel quite certain most all men, despite school affiliations or social postings, share in the sense of loss and tragedy, and find ways, small or great, to express such. Therein, lies our humanity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Social media has given rise to outpourings of what I like to

Feb 7, 2015, 7:02 AM

Very nice post! You seem to be a very wise and thoughtful man, pleasure to be a fellow Tiger!

Feb 7, 2015, 8:06 AM

I'm older guy and I've been around a while. The rivalry between Clemson and Carolina has gotten worse over the years. Back when we were both in the ACC I acutally pulled for the Gamecocks when they weren't playing us. It was a "state" pride thing. Then they left the conference. I remember all the ##### saying they were going leave us and the rest of the conference behind. That didn't work out. But, it got MUCH worse when they joined the SEC. And I think internet social media, where you can say anything you want to and nobody knows who you are, has made things even worse yet.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 8:25 AM

None other than coach Ford just mentioned the positive nature of the coaches. Once in a while I'll indulge in a little smug joke or jab about the other schools/teams foibles amongst other Clemson fans. I think positively lifting up your own organization is definitely the way to go. Columbia being my home town undoubtedly makes me want positive things to happen there and S.C. in general- a state pride thing. I want the Tiger programs to ALWAYS be measurably better than gamecock teams. That's where I try to leave it these days. I don't think I'll ever pull for a gamecock team. I just try to ignore them and not hate/pull against them. That's just my feeling-any negativity breeds more negativity. It's awesome to see these Exciting times for TIGER FOOTBAll. GO TIGERS!

Message was edited by: ColumbianTigerinATL®

I stayed off tnet for a while hoping that these types of

Feb 7, 2015, 7:19 PM

Post where individuals trying to feel like they're such a noble person, harp on the few morons of the world to explain why they're offended by whatever some arsehole said and why they're better than that person, but I see this bs is still going on. Congratulations, you're a a decent human being, 99% of the people you're going to talk to know the rivalry in no way affects this and a game shouldn't even be brought up in such a situation. No ones special because they got offended by what another individual said. This is a clemson football board, please take this " I wanna feel good about myself and b!tch about bad people" ##### somewhere else that is for talking about such issues. The South Carolina fans understand this so why in the blue he'll can our own d@mn fans not understand that those who say terrible things in thirst situations are relevant. This is not about the rivalry. This is not about what some asss said about someone else or who is the better person, this is about the 2 people and their families effected by this and that's it, why is that so hard to understand for some of our fans.

Re: I stayed off tnet for a while hoping that these types of

Feb 8, 2015, 12:57 AM

> Post where individuals trying to feel like they're
> such a noble person, harp on the few morons of the
> world to explain why they're offended by whatever
> some arsehole said and why they're better than that
> person, but I see this bs is still going on.
> Congratulations, you're a a decent human being, 99%
> of the people you're going to talk to know the
> rivalry in no way affects this and a game shouldn't
> even be brought up in such a situation. No ones
> special because they got offended by what another
> individual said. This is a clemson football board,
> please take this " I wanna feel good about myself and
> b!tch about bad people" ##### somewhere else that is
> for talking about such issues. The South Carolina
> fans understand this so why in the blue he'll can our
> own d@mn fans not understand that those who say
> terrible things in thirst situations are relevant.
> This is not about the rivalry. This is not about what
> some asss said about someone else or who is the
> better person, this is about the 2 people and their
> families effected by this and that's it, why is that
> so hard to understand for some of our fans.

I especially like the part where you complain about others posts.."wanna feel good about myself and b!tch about bad people" ##### somewhere else that is for talking about such issues."

Which is precisely what your post is. Complaining about the OP's comments and how you feel they're inappropriate. The guy put up a sincere expression of his thoughts. You could have just left it alone.

Couldn't resist could ya...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 9:16 PM

+1. Sorry to mess up that nice looking "grand" ya had

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,830
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic