Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My negative take on the Bama game that most people will hate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 7,180

My negative take on the Bama game that most people will hate

Jan 3, 2019, 8:12 PM

First of all, obviously, whoever scores the most points wins. Get that out of the way.

Second of all, I am a negative nancy. I'm always scared of everything when it comes to Clemson games. I became a serious fan as a child in the 90's. So that should explain everything. I have a negative bias that I try to control but it slips out.

Third, I am not confident that I know what will happen, I am merely basing everything I think on what I have seen from Bama and Clemson so far this year, and remembering our match-ups from years previous. Every year is different.

Anyway, when it comes to the most important factors for this upcoming game... this is what I see.

1. We HAVE to win the LOS on defense in order to win this game. With big Dex, I thought that was a certainty. Now, I'm not sure... but I hope so. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 our DLINE won the LOS nearly the whole game. That is our baseline chance against them. Hopefully we have the depth to make this happen.

2. I hate to shine the light on Bama instead of on Clemson, but this is not a game that focusing on Clemson will give us a victory. We have to game-plan specifically for what they bring. The good news is, Venables does that. Bama's offense is extremely dangerous. It's not SEC hype guys. It's very real. Tua is not human. If he's on, we can't really even hope to contain him. We can just hope to find a way to trick him or to sack him enough times to give our offense a chance. I trust Venables to find a way to do this more than any DC, but their offensive playcalling is extremely intelligent too. With that said TUA will be the biggest factor in whether or not we win. If he's 100% on his game and we don't throw him off (or he's somehow a bit off himself) then I don't see us outscoring them. If their bread and butter was game-control and running the ball, I would like our chances more. But we have no reason to expect to shut down a historically elite passing attack. We may do it, but the evidence does not point in that direction. TAMU and SCAR savaged our defense with passes. TAMU did it by making AMAZING plays, but SCAR did it because we played like a nut-sack.

3. Will we break tendency on offense? Last year Bama zeroed in on our scheme, and we didn't do anything to break away from it. People like to blame our OL for that loss, but they were put at an extreme disadvantage as Bama was playing with the wind gauge. In other words, their coaches put them in an advantageous position relative to us. I do not foresee this being a problem as our offense is CLEARLY more dynamic ever since Trevor Lawrence became our QB. Trevor is sorta mobile, but he's not really a scrambler. I think some of his pressure escapes against Notre Dame, Duke, etc would not work against the superior athleticism (to our previous opponents) that Bama has in their front 7. Trevor Lawrence will have to run some (designed runs/reads) to keep them from keying in on our delayed shotgun handoffs. But I expect more sacks and Trevor to be hit harder than at any time since he was knocked out against Syracuse. (who I expected us to dominate) We also have to actually use the jet sweep/pop-pass. Bama will not even bother acknowledging it until we do. We nearly NEVER use it early in the game. That is a very obvious tendency we have. I hope we break it early to catch them off guard. One thing I am confident in, is that the first time we show motion to hand off to ETN up the middle, their entire D will ignore the motion (probably amari) and key in on the QB/RB exchange. An obvious tendency is a good thing if we exploit their expectation of it. I'm not holding my breath here.

4. Will our wide receivers win 50/50 balls? If there is one thing I feel confident about, it is that that as long as our running game exists AT ALL, our WR's will be able to make big plays against Bama's D. Trevor Lawrence can throw it accurately enough to beat anyone. Ross and Higgins can make plays on ANYONE. The only way Bama shuts this down is if we are off our game, or if they murder our running game completely. I hope we abandon the lateral screen game and focus on quick hand-offs and high percentage out routes. If Bama is pressured underneath or with our running game, we will benefit from big pass plays.

5. Can we establish a run? If we have a big run game, then I am confident we can outscore Bama even with Tua going nuts. But I am not confident we will establish a run game. We tend to start slow, and Bama fast. we HAVE to find a way to score on our first drive. I think our number 1 priority should be getting momentum for our offense as soon as possible.

6. All all the crap I just said, if I could pick one thing to help us win... it would be to somehow disrupt Tua... like the Citadel did for a half.

Ok, I'm going back to my corner now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

####!Let me go get some coffee and place a supper order.

Jan 3, 2019, 8:16 PM

Any luck of getting the condensed version?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My negative take on the Bama game that most people will hate

Jan 3, 2019, 8:16 PM

Fire up the aTnet hotline to Dabo! He needs to know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 8:34 PM

Tigersurvivor, if I knew how to do a thumbs up, I'd give you one.

Jan 3, 2019, 8:37 PM

Just touch the thumbs up icon. I gave you one for good measure. Just don’t mess with the hotline. Reserved for serious bidniz.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this phone may help

Jan 3, 2019, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: My negative take on the Bama game that most people will hate ]
batphone.jpg(85.1 K)

Jan 3, 2019, 8:40 PM

Actually I appreciate your thoughts. Just messing around about the hotline. At least you posted something of substance as opposed to posts that discuss anything but football.

We need to steal their signals***

Jan 3, 2019, 8:45 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 8:49 PM

I've not been able to keep up with college ball as much as I would like this year. as a result, my opinions are based on scant facts. your opinions seem well reasoned and fact based - good things to think about.

what surprises me is that no one has yet called you a coot simply for providing an opinion which, if accurate, is something we would prefer be inaccurate.

Jan 3, 2019, 9:02 PM

TU to you and I would like to add one more thought. A slow start is my biggest fear. The offense needs to come out firing on all cylinders and at least move the ball for a few 1st downs to start wearing down the Bama defense.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 8:53 PM

Last year Alabama had 20% more time than us to get healthy and work on fundamentals and yes, game plan for us. He knew he would be playing Clemson. A good coach given that much more time to prepare is going to win 95% of the time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We have good coaches and had nearly as much time last year

Jan 4, 2019, 7:53 AM

We were just playing chess with inferior pieces last year.

Jan 3, 2019, 9:01 PM

I’ll break it down...

Our success in offense soley depends on the play of the right side of our OL..If Pollard and Anchrum play like Pollsrd and Anchrum, we are in for a long night...They are going to have to give us career games. We might as well be prepared to throw the ball because we aren’t going to be able to run it effectively. They are too physical up front for that.

Defensively...gotta show Tua different looks and make him uncomfortable...it’s that simple. Don’t sleep on the run game either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 3, 2019, 9:03 PM

I say run the straight up triple option the first half. Apparently they can’t stop that. Harass Tua all night. He IS human. UGA showed that and they certainly don’t have our defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 9:12 PM

I say run the straight up triple option the first half. Apparently they can’t stop that. Harass Tua all night. He IS human. UGA showed that and they certainly don’t have our defense.

Put in the Citadel offense?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: My negative take on the Bama game that most people will hate ]

Let me add special teams. Ours have not been very special. Have to win the field position battle. Spiers somehow has to kick more than 35 yarders when we are inside our 20. Like to see Amari break a couple. DK need to get us good field position on returns. I think we match up pretty good offensively and defensively. Special teams and field position may determine the game.

WE ARE NOT THE CITADEL

Jan 3, 2019, 9:15 PM

We can probably put in a complete game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WE ARE NOT THE CITADEL

Jan 3, 2019, 9:22 PM

We can be with hunter qbing. Put a loaded backfield back there and hammer them. They will go nuts. Pass on first down or do the jet sweeps. Running early won’t cut it. You have to run quick plays and head downfield. Don’t give time to line up against our signs that they steal. We know the plays, just run them fast. Tire em out like before.

One thing you forgot to mention

Jan 3, 2019, 9:17 PM

If Bama wins they were expected to, everyone will just say “yep, Bama is the best” and move on. Clemson is playing to be the best and that’s where I like our chances for that extra little push to the finish.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 9:33 PM

Also there’s the fact that the most savage elephant killer of them all waits patiently outside the spotlight for his chance to demoralize them again. Renfrow has taken a back seat to the freak athleticism on display this season, and that’s all good and proper. But now that Bama must game plan for our freaks, it’s time for blue-collar Renfrow to be a ball magnet in the slot and draw their LBs into coverage away from Etienne. I can’t wait.

GO TIGERS

Jan 4, 2019, 7:47 AM

If you look back at Saban's face when Renfrow scored his first TD of the Tampa game, Bama will not overlook Hunter again. But, someone else should be open when they double up coverage on Renfrow. Our coaches just have to determine where that open spot will be.

Jan 4, 2019, 8:30 AM

I’m intrigued to see how it plays out - of course they don’t WANT to overlook Renfrow, but they might HAVE to in order to keep DBs off of solo coverage on Tee Island and Justyn Island. If they commit full-force to Renfrow, expect a deep ball party and/or an Amari party.

GO TIGERS

CompletelySO, I learned to be a negative nancy from my

Jan 3, 2019, 9:37 PM

mentor, uncle Belton '52. I have proudly passed those tendencies to my son. One of your points about Tua and disrupting him: Greenbeans did a great job against a pretty dynamic Lavern Jefferson of Louisville, twice. I'm sure he has a few tricks up his sleeve. That's all the positivity I got....

Go Tigers!

That reasoning works if Tua were all they have

Jan 4, 2019, 8:32 AM

Lousyville had nowhere near the Oline or skill players that Bama has. Stop Lamarvelous Jackson and you stopped Lousyville.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple this time. We'll have to take the run away and find ways to get pressure on passing downs. Our secondary will absolutely have to play their best game of the year.

We won't win a shootout. Our D is going to have to be stellar. And by stellar I mean hold them under 30 points. The way that will happen is to create a couple turnovers and play great redzone D.

They're gonna get yards. Just have to make it hard for them to get into the endzone. No way we win unless we're on the plus side of the turnover stat.

If they score in the 40s, I don't see us matching that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Here's my take CSO ...

Jan 3, 2019, 9:55 PM

1) Bama RT & RG protecting Tua's blindside, were benchwarmers last season and not 1st or 2nd team All-SEC this season. IMHO this represents an opportunity. LT, LG and C are returning starter studs and 1st or 2nd team All-SEC. Rest assured BV has stayed up nights, as has Saban and Bama OC (when not taking MD calls).
2) You are right. Tua when he is on - most of time - is the best to ever play the college game for one season as passing and strategically running QB. He will be a supreme test for BV and our Defense. On the positive side, Mullen and Terrell are huge upgrades to last year's CBs incl. freshman Mullen. And Isaiah Simmons at SAM is a monster. Tre Lamar will be challenged by short/intermediate route matchups. Tigers will have to play man where possible. Clemson D took off SC game knowing it was in the bag - coaches did not want to tip schemes & players chilled. Who will shadow Tua (and Jalen if he shows up)? Will it be Simmons or Kendall Joseph? Will it vary? BV knows.
3) True, will Clemson break our obvious Offensive tendencies especially early in game? Lets hope so. Starting run up the middle, line of scrimmage screen and 3rd down throwaay due to Bama blitz will not cut it. I am hoping for aggressive mid-range vertical slants on 1st and 2nd downs based on what TL16 reads. He has to have full license make reads, audible, take chances, and go for the kill when he senses misamatches which is how DW4 competed strongly vs. Bama. And yes, TL16 will be viciously hit even at the risk of Bama players being penalized and kicked out of game -- will it fire up our team. Let's hope. And how hard will we come after Tua after TL16 nailed?
4) Agree our OC's and team need to back Bama off LOS. As you say, maybe this is by high percentage out routes to all four receivers. Expecting Clemson to aggressively go after DBs not named Deionte Thompson. How about quick RB out routes? I like our receivers better than Bama's whop are excellent, but Tua composure is X-factor. How does BV rattle it? Hopefully putting Tua down hard under 99, 42, 7 and 3.
5) As you say, Bama usually starts fast. But what if they don't? Does Tua get frustrated or rattled by a couple of sacks and/or an INT by Simmons, Muse or Kvon? Bama is not used to any adversity. This is a potential weakness. Expect the unexpected as Saban and BV play chess. As for Clemson's running game, I expect little early -- maybe quick shovel passes, but as you say, Bama needs some disincentive to blitz every down. What does UGA game tape show us these past two years?
6) Just win baby! Leave it all on the field! And Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not Taking A Thing From Bamer, But. . . . .

Jan 3, 2019, 11:11 PM

. . . . . are we sure some of the fear isn't b/c of the conference teams they blew away? The best team they played "during the regular season" was LSU and they had a bye week before that game. LSU on a good day has a putrid offense! Let alone playing the rouge-water dudes! Despite LSU struggles on offense and despite multiple opportunities for Bamers defense they only managed a 29-0 win. I say only b/c of the # of touches their offense got.
The best team they played had them beat(Georgia). We have a better all around offense than Jaw-ja. We have a better DC and similar talented players.
As stated: "if Bamer wins, they were supposed to"! But, I for one am expecting it to be close. All depends on if "players make plays"! Our WR's are better than their DB's.

Bama has 45 sacks "ALL YEAR"! Despite the fact, they have gotten off to big leads early. Which tells you what football heads. Right, that teams had to drop back and pass more often against them. That the run was abandoned early. Bamer does a great job against the run true; but as many times as they have been passed against if they had elite level pass rushers I would expect far more than that! We played 3 option teams and Syracuse(quick passing no chance for sacks hardly) and we lead the nation in sacks with 52. Who in their side of the SEC has a scary good offense? The best would be Texas A & M. They won that game """AT HOME""" 45-23 on a dry field. Despite Mond having 2 ints they scored 23 points. Anyone not think had TL not been playing in his what; 2nd college game we beat A & M by a lot more. And, it wasn't raining and at their place!
I guess I am naïve Ned then! But, the best team they faced they were in a dog fight. I think we are better than Georgia top to bottom and I think most important we have BV.

Nobody on their schedule including LSU, Miss St(has the 1 kid) and Georgia have multiple DE's they can rush the passer with. If 99 and 7 get tired you bring in 3 with his speed. Those teams have solid guys there; but nothing like the group Clemson will field. Remember even if you don't get a sack; if you get close to where he can hear/feel/see you breathing down his neck QB's tend to start rushing things a bit. And OMG, if we are actually able to get to him early/often that's a bonus! Our DB's are solid. I do worry about them trying to take advantage of our safety play!

Last but not least - fight or flight will be on our side! Anybody see the Purdue game when they beat Ohio St. or any other game where a team who beat the favorite. The underdog got that extra rush of adrenaline b/c they are supposed to get "not literally" killed. This will be the 1st game all year the team will have that to take advantage of; and I am looking forward to it. Some of you may not believe in it; but it's a real thing! We have been every teams Super Bowl all year! We have gotten teams best shot! Even in the games we dominated teams had come out and were going to give it their best! See NC STate a couple years ago in the Valley. They thought they were good enough and knew they were the underdog and they played above their heads. Same thing with Pitt and unlike NC ST. Pitt actually used F or F to their benefit and played well above their skill level all game long!
A tiger that is out hunting is dangerous and can harm you even kill you. But, A Tiger that's backed into a corner...………………..

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nah, if Georgia, Miss St and LSU's sorry a$$es can contain h

Jan 3, 2019, 10:54 PM

Venables sure as heck can. We can do enough to outscore them. Have some faith man. We're going to come out swinging.

Jan 4, 2019, 4:34 AM

For sure the screens will be wasted plays and risk getting our WRs KILLED. I hope we don’t start that mess . The running game to be effective will have to be quick on the edges. Like the screens running up the middle will be a waste. Got to use slants over the middle and back shoulder passes down the side line . Also got to use tempo, I don’t understand why we have gotten away from this.
TL is good on those before half hurry up drives.

Jan 4, 2019, 7:57 AM

Yes. Slants over the middle please. Hard to defend and will move the chains.

Relax. 1) OU did fine against them and we're better than OU

Jan 4, 2019, 7:54 AM

2) They will wear down as the game goes on, as long as we can stay on the field on offense, and we should be able to - TLaw has the skills and we have the depth.

3) When faced with decent opposition (LSU, UGA, OU, TAMU) or a decent scheme (Citadel), Bama has looked human and beatable.

It should be a heck of a game, but I am not worried about a repeat of last year's debacle. Not at all.

Could it happen? Sure. Anything can happen. But we're just as likely to do the same to them, IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outside of UGA, the other games they looked human in they

Jan 4, 2019, 8:22 AM

won by 22, 29, 24, and 11. And the game they won by 11 they were up 28-0 17 minutes in and never really threatened.

The one game they truly looked beatable, Tua was hurt and played terribly.

This.

Jan 4, 2019, 11:18 AM

As human as they look, we have looked human plenty of times too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and we're better than each of those teams***

Jan 4, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Outside of UGA, the other games they looked human in they ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We definitely can't afford to start slow offensively

Jan 4, 2019, 8:16 AM

Bama is the hottest starting team in football and if we can't find our feet offensively for a quarter we will be down 14-0 really quick.

Jan 4, 2019, 8:25 AM

I always think we are going to lose. It’s just who I am but ever since the Syracuse game I have not worried about us losing one bit. I just feel like we are going to win. I guess we will find out Monday night.

Go Tigers!!!

Jan 4, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quick Start & Momentum will play a good part in who wins Monday -- turn-overs will be the other factor^*

Jan 4, 2019, 12:52 PM

Only issue I have is the "hit harder since the Syracuse where he got knocked out". He didn't get hurt on a sack. He got hit as he was tripped and falling to the ground. Other than that, the rest is just conjecture.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2019, 12:59 PM

my understanding is that tua pre-reads defenses and decides where he's throwing before every snap. if we can find some ways to jam the gears up a bit, we'll have a decent chance of making his life miserable. Also, I'm assuming there have been some graduate students slicing up the game against Georgia to see what kinds of things created issues for Tua that game.

toomanywords***

Jan 4, 2019, 1:18 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 7,180
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic