Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When exactly was Feaster demoted to 3rd string?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

When exactly was Feaster demoted to 3rd string?

Aug 13, 2019, 11:27 AM

The consensus on here seems to be that he was demoted during or after spring practice, and that is why he decided to transfer. I can find nothing to support that. In fact, Dabo heaped a ton of praise on Feaster during the spring, saying that he had the best spring he'd had at Clemson. I can't find a depth chart that does not show Feaster as 2nd string, or any comments to that effect until after he announced he was transferring.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

We do not know

Aug 13, 2019, 11:35 AM

But it was apparent from the transfer that he wanted more carries.

Sharing 2nd string carries with Dixon and the 2 incoming FR for 4 games a piece did not seem too enticing.

Thus the transfer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't question that he wanted more carries,

Aug 13, 2019, 11:53 AM

and probably wanted to be the feature back. I don't blame him for that. Basically, his role was going to be like it was last year (as far as we know). That's quite a bit different from being demoted, then pouting about it and transferring out, which is the narrative being floated.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Possibly not "demoted" but rather informed he was going to

Aug 13, 2019, 12:06 PM

be in a 2A/2B situation with Dixon as he was with Choice last year. He only got 78 carries last season which isn't much over 15 games.

I think that was a given. Etienne was clearly #1,

Aug 13, 2019, 12:11 PM

and Feaster's role would be similar to last year's. The consensus seems to be, however, that he was beat out in the spring by Dixon. I just can't find anything anywhere to support that.

- H. L. Mencken

I found one of those tweets in an article

Aug 13, 2019, 12:21 PM

He did post a few cryptic thoughts to his Twitter account earlier this month. On the night of the annual spring game, he tweeted, “business is business” and the following day “No matter how hard you go, you can’t beat politics.”

I think blaming the situation on "politics" is likely to rub some people the wrong way, but one thing that most high level athletes have in common is a very large amount of self-confidence and that probably does make it difficult at times to accept the fact that other players on the team are just flat out better.

I don't think Feaster was ever demoted. He just knew ETN

Aug 13, 2019, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I don't question that he wanted more carries, ]

was gonna be Da Man and that he would split reps with Lyn J.

I think he would've had more carries here than at SCar, but I could be wrong. Maybe he will beat out Dowdle.

Re: When exactly was Feaster demoted to 3rd string?

Aug 13, 2019, 11:35 AM

Probably during fall practice of ETN's freshman season ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he was second string last year.***

Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Post-spring depth chart.***

Aug 13, 2019, 11:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Do you have one that was realeased before he

Aug 13, 2019, 11:59 AM

announced he was transferring?

- H. L. Mencken

It wasn't released until after his announcement,

Aug 13, 2019, 12:27 PM

but it's really irrelevant whether he was 2nd or 3rd string. With 2 more studs coming in he knew he wasn't going to get the carries he thought he needed to have a shot at the pros.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Totally agree that he left for a school where he

Aug 13, 2019, 12:34 PM

could be the feature back instead of sharing backup duty. Still looking for something to show that Dixon had passed him on the depth chart coming out of spring.

- H. L. Mencken

I think the answer is...

Aug 13, 2019, 11:59 AM

Some people don’t handle rejection well and start making stuff up to justify what happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Do we know that?

Aug 13, 2019, 12:02 PM

Or, could it be that he felt he could be the feature back at another school, and wanted to give it a shot with the one year he had left?

- H. L. Mencken

I’m talking about the fans, not Feaster.***

Aug 13, 2019, 12:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

My bad ... we agree.***

Aug 13, 2019, 12:07 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Do we know that?

Aug 13, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Do we know that? ]

Or, could it be that he felt he could be the feature back at another school, and wanted to give it a shot with the one year he had left?

Could have been anything including but not limited to the proximity of Chic fil a to campus. Why keep posting about the same tired topic? Feaster is gone and we will never know for sure why he chose to leave and why he chose the coots. Lets wish him the best and move on.

If it did happen it was probably when he sent out that tweet

Aug 13, 2019, 12:02 PM

that i believe was later deleted. I really wish i could remember exactly what it said, but it kind of implied he had been passed on the depth chart a second time (the first obviously being Etienne the year before).

That tweet began all of the speculation that he might transfer.

The day he transferred

Aug 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

I imagine he starts off at the bottom and has to beat out the other SCar running backs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The day he transferred

Aug 13, 2019, 1:04 PM

He's probably not just going to stroll into Willy Brice and take over. I'm guessing Mustchump wants him to prove his worth, just like anywhere else.

Re: My guess is a little speculative....

Aug 13, 2019, 12:13 PM

I see it as a potential business type approach from Dabo.

As a manager, you praise in public. You criticize in private. (More managers should learn this)

I would guess, in hindsight, Feaster likely made it known he wasn't happy. That can boil and become a cancer if treated wrongly. Dabo is known for a high road approach, and likely partially to try to get Feaster to stay - even though he wasn't happy.

All said and done, it does't affect this team as a whole, nor Dabo in the long run. Hence no remorse or turmoil. Just let him go.

IMO anyway

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all speculative - that's my point.

Aug 13, 2019, 12:19 PM

It's hard for me to understand how a guy who spent 4 years at Clemson could play for the Coots - I totally get that. I think Dabo handled it beautifully, and it may be just as you described.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: spite and youth

Aug 13, 2019, 12:21 PM

again my guess.

When he saw what LJ could do.***

Aug 13, 2019, 12:17 PM

In August of last year he was third string behind

Aug 13, 2019, 12:22 PM

Choice. That lasted until after the Georgia Tech game, when he was the third running back listed, but was listed as a co-second teamer. For the Wake Forest game, he was the second rb listed, but as a co-second teamer. It stayed that way through the rest of the season.

Coming out of the spring, he was third behind Dixon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where do you see that he was 3rd behind Dixon

Aug 13, 2019, 12:23 PM

coming out of spring? I can't find that anywhere.

- H. L. Mencken

Here

Aug 13, 2019, 12:24 PM

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2019/7/16/20695337/clemson-post-spring-depth-chart-impressions

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster was already in the portal for 2+ months before

Aug 13, 2019, 12:26 PM

that.

LOL! That was well after he announced he was

Aug 13, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Here ]

transferring. So yeah, he probably was demoted after that.

- H. L. Mencken

Trying to answer your question. He was first listed as 3rd

string last August.

Surely, nobody thought he was ahead of Lyn J after the spring.

But still had the 2nd most carries last year,

Aug 13, 2019, 12:32 PM

and was praised by Dabo as having his best spring since he'd been at Clemson, and there was no mention by anybody at Clemson about Dixon beating out Feaster for 2nd string. I don't know what people thought "after the spring", but it would be meaningless. My point is that there has been a conclusion drawn and widely accepted based on nothing but speculation.

- H. L. Mencken

Feaster was 4th in yards, but 2nd in carries. Dixon was 2nd

Aug 13, 2019, 12:38 PM

on the team and outrushed Feaster by over a hundred yards on 16 fewer carries as a true freshman.

It should come as no surprise to anybody that Dixon was and is our second best running back, by far. It certainly came as no surprise to Feaster.

Still have seen nothing from Clemson indicating that

Aug 13, 2019, 12:59 PM

Dixon passed Feaster on the depth chart coming out of spring.

- H. L. Mencken

Good luck.

Aug 13, 2019, 1:01 PM

seems like a colossal waste of time for something that should be obvious to all.

It's not obvious at all.***

Aug 13, 2019, 1:37 PM

- H. L. Mencken

LOL!***

Aug 13, 2019, 1:41 PM

Re: that was the point he gained my respect a little....

Aug 13, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to In August of last year he was third string behind ]

after coming back and fighting for that much of a role after being aggravated by his shoulder injury.

I was surprised he didn't take #2 out right, but he and Choice were equal. Lyn-J with fresh legs closing out big wins was preserving Feaster even more.

When he met with the coaches after spring practice and

Aug 13, 2019, 12:22 PM

Decided to transfer. Just go look at last years stats he was our least productive RB, and he averaged below the team yards per carry average.

Do you have a link, or are you just speculating?***

Aug 13, 2019, 12:25 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Look at the post spring depth chart***

I have, and the only ones I can find were

released AFTER he announced he was transferring. I am looking for some evidence that he was demoted to 3rd string, THEN decided to transfer.

- H. L. Mencken

AFAIK those weren't made public until July

Aug 13, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Look at the post spring depth chart*** ]

Feaster entered the portal in April. It's possible the players already knew 2+ months prior, but, as Smiling Tiger has pointed out, that's speculation.

I just think he wanted to be a featured back somewhere

USCjr had an opening and would love to have a decent running back with experience. They'll feed him the ball 20 times a game whereas here he would get maybe 5 or 6 carries a game. If he goes to columbia and averages 75-100 yards a game (which i think is possible provided the oline recovers from their losses) then it will help him with draft status for the NFL.

Aug 13, 2019, 12:48 PM

As a player: "you know it"! If you are honest with yourself that is. I think TF got all the opportunities to prove it on the field that was neccessary. Remember Etienne bursting on the scene? He made plays.

We think we are good at RB this year and not as worried about TF leaving why? B/C Lynn J made plays when he got his opportunities.

So to answer the OP question: "he saw the writing on the wall"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2019, 1:25 PM

" If you ain't first you're last " .

- Ricky Bobby

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 13, 2019, 1:44 PM

AWe hell Ricky, I was high, there's second, third even fourth! LOL!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic