Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Moving to Bethesda, MD
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Moving to Bethesda, MD

Jun 13, 2019, 6:49 AM

Calling out to the MD Tigers. I’ve accepted a job in Bethesda that is paying out $120k. Don’t know if a lot of y’all remember but last January I posted on here about losing my accounting Job and someone set me up with Robert Half and his help with my Resume is what got me this job. I just need help knowing where to look for a place for my family to live wife + 2 daughters) I know Bethesda is way too expensive but hopefully someone knows the surrounding area that could live and commute to. I don’t mind a little drive. Thank you guys for helping me to get to this point!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I'd

Jun 13, 2019, 7:10 AM

Focus on the schools, first...and the commute, second. Leave the housing choice for third, if even that high. Go for 'quality of life' where your employment is compatible with quality...don't let it (and commute) detract from it. You don't get the hours or gas money back.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats, Have fun

Jun 13, 2019, 7:17 AM

https://www.zillow.com/bethesda-md/

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Moving to Bethesda, MD

Jun 13, 2019, 7:26 AM

If you don't mind the 35 mile (hour long) commute down I-270, then I recommend Frederick County (Buckeystown - Urbana area would be closest to DC area).... Frederick is (was) the 2nd largest city in MD and a great town .... My wife and I were there for five years 2004-2009 and really loved our time among the "Frednecks." Also, proximity to Sharpsburg, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg, etc. makes it easy to host family and friends who come to visit.... If you have a dog, then check out Quiet Waters Park (dog beach) in Annapolis.... And.... Rehoboth / Dewey Beach, DE.... Enjoy!

Jun 14, 2019, 8:57 AM

I had a job in Bethesda myself back in 1997-1998. You wouldn't necessarily have to go as far north as Frederick County. I lived in Gaithersburg, which is just past the northernmost station on the DC Metro Red Line, and I didn't think rent was all that bad. That's still in Montgomery County. Not sure about schools, as I didn't get married until 2014, too late to have kids, and by that time I was back in NC.

Jun 13, 2019, 7:42 AM

Former "DC" Tiger.... I lived at the other end of the Capital Crescent trail... Georgetown/Palisades. The Capital Crescent is a 11 mile trail I used to run between DC and Bethesda. It is fantastic. Anyway...

Take it from a transportation planner that used to work in DC, live as close to your job as you can afford. 120K isn't a lot but it isn't bad either. You have some choices at that point, just it will not be the same buying power as 120K elsewhere.

It cost us less to live in a small Palisades apartment that it would for use to live and commute from Gainsville Va (a 1.5 hour commute). Plus you get that 1.5 hour commute back in your pocket. Now, we did not get the same sqft space (about 15-20% less for the same cost), but I can't tell you how valuable it is NOT to do a commute. My wife walked past embassy row and I did a reverse commute to Arlington. And unfortunately, I would say the Rockville/Bethesda might be the worst of the corridors in the area. Furthermore, due to the HOV demands, if you are unwilling to travel with someone, then it can be very tough.

A "little" drive in DC can mean than a 20-30 mile trip is 2-3 hours (or more). So after we moved back to the wonderful land of "sweet tea" again, I was still under contract for 6 months in DC. I would drive from western NC to Richmond on the weekends, stay in RVa during the week and then commute to DC. Even though RVa to DC was a 110 mile trip and intentionally working until post rush hour (leaving at 7pm), not getting home until after midnight was a common thing. It was brutal and even as someone who geeks out at traffic, it got old quick. Interesting fact, the traffic is worse in Virginia and Maryland than it is in DC. If you do not have to drive into it, it is a much better experience.

I have a son and daughter so I consider my time with them move valuable than anything. I can't recommend minimizing the DC commute as much as possible.

Take a look at the southern half of Howard County

Jun 13, 2019, 7:46 AM

as well

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 8:13 AM

Try the Frederick area. $120k won't go very far in MD … especially in the DC area. We fled MD 15 years ago and never looked back. Good luck!!

Jun 13, 2019, 9:03 AM

I grew up in Southern Maryland and was back and forth there until my mom moved away after my dad's passing a few years ago. I also did a lot of business in the DC area. In fact, my IBM HQ was in Fair Lakes and then Bethesda.

- Agree with the Fredericksburg, MD suggestions.
- Look at VA. Better schools and local government. Leesburg, VA isn't too far and is a nice area.
- Sad thing about the area is that you are paying for the dirt the house is built on, not the house itself. I have seen million dollar listings in the DC area I would not let my dog live in.
- You are going to have traffic whenever you go. Just figure out the best option and be prepared for it.

Good luck to you. There are some nice things about living in the DC area. Unfortunately growth was poorly managed over the years. We moved to Fort Washington, MD in '72 and it was nicely suburban. Waldorf Maryland, 12 miles south of us, was tobacco and cornfields. We made fun of those kids as being rednecks. Now, Waldorf is overbuilt. The area I grew up in is very old with 70's box homes that are fairly run down and have bars on the windows. Traffic for DC starts in La Plata which is about 12 miles south of Waldorf. La Plata use to be a tiny hamlet of a few homes. It was sad to see my mom move out of my childhood home, but it was not a good place for an elderly lady to live alone anymore.

Jun 13, 2019, 9:26 AM

Actually, the sprawl/growth was managed EXACTLY how they wanted it to be... but they were not keen on listening to the ramifications of growing how they did. So the growth was not mismanaged, it was well managed with bad ideals. Lower density further out only made traffic worse and it created an economic vacuum that subsidizes new building over farms over reinvestment into urbanized areas. Widening roads to solve traffic is like fighting obesity by buying bigger pants. We are only now starting to overcome the problems associated with these decisions of the 1950-1980s. Actually some of these areas are looking at some issues as the cost to run roads, sewer, resources is often fix ($X per mile) and while it was not a major issue since developers per paying this when building a lot of the counties now have maintenance concerns looming for those building 20-30 years ago. They are budgeted well because repairing sewer isn't glamorous.

I would not say that VA has better governance. Same idiots basically, different flag. In Virginia, the NOVa area is a tax resource for rural Virginia such as SWVa and Northern Neck. No gas tax so to speak built is rolled in with the state sales tax. So Grandmother living in Fairfax is paying more into the fuel tax than someone elsewere due to the cost of living being higher the sales tax is slightly higher.

Jun 13, 2019, 8:43 AM

Personally no matter how long my commute would be, I would have to live in Virginia. No way I could live in the communist state of Maryland...In fact I won't even stop there for gas...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is absurd

Jun 13, 2019, 1:23 PM

OP, I would check out Olney and maybe up to Mount Airy. Frederick is more affordable and a great place to live, but that 270 commute is a serious bear. Unless you'll be working from home a decent amount or getting into work at the crack of dawn, I would try to minimize your commute along 270 as much as possible.

Jun 13, 2019, 1:44 PM

Lived in that area for 27 years Go to the Olney/Derwood area. Great schools and go a little further out around there (Brese land) Damascas for lower house prices

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic