Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Morant wanted to come here but Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Morant wanted to come here but Brownell

Mar 21, 2019, 7:30 PM

Told him we didn’t have a spot because we took Oliver instead. Chew on that

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Morant wanted to come here but Brownell

Mar 21, 2019, 7:31 PM

For real?

Mar 21, 2019, 7:54 PM

Yes he pulled for Clemson growing up

Mar 21, 2019, 7:32 PM

hindsight is always 20-20. Oliver was pretty well regarded. Probably looked like a decent move at the time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 7:34 PM

First I’ve heard of this. The Judge will be here shortly to discredit or substantiate this claim.

We did not offer him.

Mar 22, 2019, 2:03 PM

This is the first I've heard that he expressed an interest in Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Its true we didn't offer, never showed interest. SCU offered

Mar 21, 2019, 7:37 PM

but he chose Murray at over the coots. Smart kid.

Re: Its true we didn't offer, never showed interest. SCU offered

Mar 21, 2019, 9:23 PM

So Carolina never offered him.

Wofford did but he stayed loyal to Murray St.

Wrong tiny lil leghumper, scu was his only power 5 offer

Mar 21, 2019, 9:58 PM

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article227322244.html

Mar 21, 2019, 7:37 PM

So did every other school in the country except 3 all of which are small schools...

Mar 21, 2019, 7:52 PM

Some players do develop in college beyond their high school careers. That may be the case with JM. But yes he is amazing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 8:40 PM

Brownell can’t evaluate. Rod Hall was his PG for 3 years

Mar 21, 2019, 8:44 PM

Link?

Mar 21, 2019, 8:57 PM

And this surprises you........Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 21, 2019, 8:59 PM

let's throw the same rocks at calipari, pitino, K, roy williams, etc etc. they didn't recruit him either.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 9:06 PM

That’s because those guys can recruit and have the pick of the litter and did not need him...........we did......Go Tigers!!!!!

Mar 21, 2019, 9:12 PM

well, tell me what coaches did see what morant would become? kid was the classic late bloomer. this board would have exploded if we had taken him with the offers he had. yes, BB "missed" him. but so did a couple hundred other coaches. this has become a classic dead horse.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

the question is whether he was as good as scott wingo. another classic mot dead horse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Morant wanted to come here but Brownell ]

Obviously many coaches thought he wasn't worth a scholarship, although for 3 yrs. he was named All Region MVP .
He wasn't exactly a late bloomer, he just grew several inches late in high school .
The kid was not recognized by THE SCOUTING SERVICES thus the coaches don't check them out .
Note to Brad ; get off your ### and go recruit some ballers . Two or three will do it .

that should be a note to parents

Mar 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

if you want your kid to play college basketball or baseball, get them on the travel circuits. which sucks because it is pretty expensive. but it makes sense for colleges. they get to see what these kids can do against equal, and most likely, future college competition.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Morant wanted to come here but Brownell ]

The kid wasn't living in their backyard .

For some reason that isn't logical thinking to certain folks***

Mar 22, 2019, 1:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 9:16 PM

Looks to me like every mid level, low level major conference team missed on him and so did most every mid major team. BB gets a lot of shade thrown his way, but he is in a lot of company on this.

Mar 21, 2019, 9:22 PM

Did you complain about this on signing day or when Morant was coming out of high school? Or are you just complaining about it now when you know who Morant is?

what dis mean? Grades?

Mar 21, 2019, 10:07 PM

https://twitter.com/GabeDeVoe10/status/1108867852289933312?s=20

it’s a reference of him being a lottery pick

Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 PM

A lot of 1 and done’rs never go to class 2nd semester or turn in work - they play basketball and leave school after the tourney to get ready for the draft. He’s a Soph but the same thing would apply as he is projected in the top 5 picks - why bother when you’re about to be set for life is the attitude a lot of them take

but that's really not a good look on DeVoe to put that out

Mar 22, 2019, 12:13 AM

there like that... it looks more like DeVoe is speaking out of a slick mouth than congratulating JM for being at the top of college bball...

a simple "congrats young fella" would erase any doubt about his intention...

there's sarcasm there.......it just went over your head

Mar 22, 2019, 10:01 AM

because you weren't familiar about college basketball players headed for the draft basically shutting down school work 2nd semester..... there's nothing wrong with what he said other than the fact it shed's light on the stupid NBA/NCAA arrangement-- complete FR year before draft eligible, NCAA doesn't hold kids/schools accountable for going to class 2nd semester

it's definitely sarcasm, and I'm definitely familiar with it

Mar 22, 2019, 10:37 AM

because that is actually what a slick mouth is, but maybe you are unfamiliar with knowing what a slick mouth is...

maybe you're unfamiliar with the NCAA only being concerned with eligibility with a hint of concern for progress towards graduation...

but Gabe's sarcasm can be rooted in humor OR shade... if it's humor, it may also be rooted in Gabe's personal experience, which still isn't a good look to Gabe or Clemson...

Re: it's definitely sarcasm, and I'm definitely familiar with it

Mar 22, 2019, 10:48 AM

I think you are looking a little too deeply into this comment.

It does not reflect poorly on Clemson or Devoe.

This is a common thing that happens in basketball and is well-known by those who follow early departures closely.

This is also common in baseball for juniors who know before the season that they will leave school no matter what happens.

I'm not saying this is a wise choice for the student/athletes but it is a very frequent occurrence all over the country.

I'm also not saying that all student/athletes in Morant's situation choose that route.

Football players who leave early for the draft typically don't enroll for spring semester to prepare for the draft.

The only difference is that if the sport is played in the spring semester then the athlete has to be enrolled in school.

not looking deeply at all because it's not a deep comment***

Mar 22, 2019, 11:25 AM

and football .......you have to pass the classes in the fall

Mar 22, 2019, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: it's definitely sarcasm, and I'm definitely familiar with it ]

to be eligible for the bowl/playoffs- so they have that on those guys

Agreed. Not a good look for Gabe***

Mar 22, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to it's definitely sarcasm, and I'm definitely familiar with it ]

his personal experience.....Gabe graduated so not sure what

Mar 22, 2019, 3:12 PM [ in reply to it's definitely sarcasm, and I'm definitely familiar with it ]

you are trying to indicate by that.........like the other poster said......believe you are trying to read far to into that......the comment is not a bad look for anyone

dude.... give it a rest!!

Mar 22, 2019, 9:03 PM

having differing views does not mean that one has to be right or the other has to be wrong... I can see shade, you don't have to see shade but because neither of us has an explanation from Gabe himself, then you cannot assert any opinion of the comment as right or wrong...

I do wish this leftist, one think-one speak, lockstep, commie mindset would find its way out of public discourse... views are like opinions which are like posterior openings; EVERYBODY has one and it does not have to be like yours... and probably isn't...

Mar 21, 2019, 10:53 PM

Wasn't Oliver the son of another coach? Hmmm......

^^^^^we have a winner!!!***

Mar 22, 2019, 12:14 AM

Mar 22, 2019, 12:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Morant wanted to come here but Brownell ]

I thought Oliver was our best FR off the bench last year.

I felt like DRad knew that firing his mom was going to cost BB a fine young player, but he couldn't tolerate the shambles the WBB program had become.

Don't know where the kid went, but he could have been a real contributor next year if not sooner.

Mar 22, 2019, 10:44 AM

Oliver transferred to Old Dominion.

He had a growth spurt and went from 6'1 to 6'5

Mar 22, 2019, 8:54 AM

but even at 6'1, I'm not sure how basically every coach in the country overlooked the freakish athleticism. He had that before he grew. Played AAU as well, so he was seen

Well...how is it that

Mar 22, 2019, 9:43 AM

Steph Curry wound up at Davidson? Hmmm?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VaTech told Daddy Curry that even though Steph is a legacy

Mar 22, 2019, 10:10 AM

of the greatest scorer in school history, he was not worthy of a scholly but could come in as a preferred walk-on... I don't think that coach is the coach there anymore; is he a coach anywhere??

Steph is possibly the greatest shooter of all time

Mar 22, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Well...how is it that ]

but have you seen Morant's highlights? Steph isnt that kind of an athlete. The guy is a freak

all the coaches were too busy gawking at Zion or checking

Mar 22, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to He had a growth spurt and went from 6'1 to 6'5 ]

out the Shuler kid now at Ole Miss...... both of those guys were on the same AAU team with JM I believe

Re: all the coaches were too busy gawking at Zion or checking

Mar 22, 2019, 10:53 AM

I read an article on this last night.

Morant and Zion played on the same AAU team before Zion blew up.

When Zion got picked up by whatever nationally sponsored AAU team he played for, Morant stayed with the same local team from Columbia where they started.

The same article had a quote from the Murray State coach saying that he left the main gym of a camp looking for food and stumbled onto Morant in the "other" gym.

Morant had been sent to play with the leftovers of the camp because the people running the camp did not think he was one of the top players attending.

Re: all the coaches were too busy gawking at Zion or checking

Mar 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

Actually, this is common and a lot of the non-elite or major program coaches "look around" at the "leftovers" or the guy right behind the *star* on the bench. You might not be able to land the Zion but you can get another great guy in the shade. There can be a lot great players in "odd light", but there is still risk.

This isnt criticism of our staff for not offering him

Mar 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

but is there any more risk in offering Clyde Trapp than Morant? At Clemson, you have to take some risks in recruiting.

Re: This isnt criticism of our staff for not offering him

Mar 22, 2019, 2:57 PM

Well, granted the coaches are likely looking at 50+ of these kids trying to find which is going to develop in the right pattern with your program.

Just because a kid is successful does not mean he is going to be successful everywhere nor do they develop at the same time/rate. I am happy for the kid, does not mean that there was any fault on Clemson's staff.

I mean, the kid got more D1 offers than Trevor Booker.

If Morant can play himself in to a top 5 pick

Mar 22, 2019, 6:01 PM

at Murray St, how we he not have been able to do that here? Trevor btw was a 3 star, rated number 252 overall. He was recruited by many schools. He only had 4 official offers as I believe it was understood he wanted to stay in state. 3 of those offers were us, SC and Wofford. William and Mary the other. Morant wasn't even that highly rated.

My question for every coach that didnt offer the guy is how do you ignore this type of elite athleticism? 6'1 or 6'5, the athleticism was there. And a guy from Murray St just happens to stumble in to an auxiliary gym and see him because event organizers didnt feel he warranted more exposure? Seems like in March we see many of these guys who fell through the cracks. You can't see them all, but I'd think you'd want to see all in state potential prospects up close and personal. Heck Trapp was a 2 star when he committed with not many offers, from the same class

no proof, no problem. It's the internet!***

Mar 22, 2019, 11:26 AM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic