Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memory quiz for old Tigers. What was the best thing about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Memory quiz for old Tigers. What was the best thing about

Mar 12, 2019, 11:55 AM

going to the computer center to run a program in the early / mid 70's?

(There is only one right answer for me, who will guess it first?)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know, I wasn't born yet. Hth***

Mar 12, 2019, 11:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He wasn't asking you.

Mar 12, 2019, 11:58 AM

moran

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Memory quiz for old Tigers. What was the best thing about

Mar 12, 2019, 11:57 AM

First in line to drop your punch cards in the reader :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good guess, but not it. Think locale.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kids these days will give you a blank stare if you tell them

Mar 12, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Memory quiz for old Tigers. What was the best thing about ]

that "Keypunch Operator" was actually a course of study that was taught at Tech schools back then.

You stopped by for ice cream or a milk shake near there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^Ding ding, we have a winner already!^^^^^

Mar 12, 2019, 12:00 PM

The milkshakes at the Dairy Sciences building were still, to this day, the best I have ever seen. Something in those hills, indeed.

Re: ^^^^^Ding ding, we have a winner already!^^^^^

Mar 12, 2019, 12:04 PM

Then you leaned on the little wall around the corner and watched the girls go by or waited until you got to the little wall in front of Sirrine.

Mar 12, 2019, 12:08 PM

Hmm, you seem to know a lot about this. You weren't wearing a raincoat while waiting for the girls, I hope? (Saw the "flash" part of your Tnet handle.) :)

Mar 12, 2019, 12:28 PM

By golly I think you’re right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: ^^^^^Ding ding, we have a winner already!^^^^^ ]

Nope, no Arte Johnson raincoat! Over by Schletter wasn’t bad either. The amphitheater before they took the trees down was good too.

Mar 12, 2019, 8:20 PM [ in reply to ^^^^^Ding ding, we have a winner already!^^^^^ ]

Did you run by Chanelos to pick up a hot sandwich too?

I’d always have a milkshake before biology class freshman year.

Mar 12, 2019, 9:45 PM [ in reply to ^^^^^Ding ding, we have a winner already!^^^^^ ]

M W F? or T TH?? that was a lot of milkshakes.

You got first dibs on the abacus?***

Mar 12, 2019, 11:59 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Nope, that thing always looked like a reject washboard

Mar 12, 2019, 12:01 PM

to me.

LED or LCD screen?***

Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 PM [ in reply to You got first dibs on the abacus?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Wire. Wire screen. As in screen wire.

Mar 12, 2019, 12:50 PM

nm

Mar 12, 2019, 12:23 PM

I can't think of anything rewarding about having to walk from the Lower Quad all the way to the P&A Building other than the ice cream and they were usually closed at night when I went. You know how it was...had to go to Lester's in the afternoons then worry about school work.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 12:23 PM

Nah, for me it was them keypunch wimens and chatting them up with the donuts, bribe one of them operators to drop the cards and then go get a mikshake!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, yeah...that

Mar 12, 2019, 12:24 PM

Computer Science course...Fortran has aged as well as me.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh, yeah...that

Mar 12, 2019, 12:38 PM

Yeah it actually has. Who woulda thunk 60 years later. We’re still supporting and maintaining cobol to this day.

Mar 12, 2019, 12:27 PM

Standing near the front of the line with a whole box full of punch cards listening to the whining before letting everyone know the print out would be done overnight(Construction Schedule). The milkshake was better because I didn't have to wait on the print out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 12:30 PM

This is so true. Good times my friend!!!!!

Mar 12, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Memory quiz for old Tigers. What was the best thing about ]

Heaven help you if you dropped the box with all the cards in it. Especially on a windy day, which was most of the time. Ugh. They called that walkway between the buildings a breezeway for good reason.

It was in the basement of the P&A building***

Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 PM

Mar 12, 2019, 12:51 PM

Milk Shake!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did the sign go that was in the Ag Sales?

Mar 12, 2019, 1:11 PM

Something like - "We have done so much with so little
for so long, now we are prepared to do anything with
nothing..."

We the willing, lead by the unknowing, are doing

Mar 12, 2019, 9:16 PM

The impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Best was going to basketball games at the packed Field

Mar 12, 2019, 1:10 PM

House. Worst was Saturday classes!

Re: Best was going to basketball games at the packed Field

Mar 12, 2019, 1:39 PM

Thank the Lowered I never had Saturday classes. I did have an organic chemistry lab that did not get out until 5:30 on Friday evening one semester, though. Had to catch up with the rest of the crowd at the Study Hall downtown after that one! Pepperoni pizzas floating in grease, and tall cold pitchers of beer. What college life was all about! So glad the legal drinking age was 18 back then, although modern times just require more innovation for the same results, I am sure. :)

Mar 12, 2019, 3:00 PM

yep, a late lab on Friday was a killer. Got stuck in the chem lab as a freshman.

I remember the snarky GAs that ran your cards. They viewed us as a nuisance and they were doing us a favor. I still hold a grudge. Of course the one time you don't number your cards, you drop them.

Mar 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

^^^^ ARRRGGHHH - you did not number your cards???? You'll have to explain that to St. Peter someday.

Mar 12, 2019, 1:51 PM

To me that sounds like the modern era. In the late 1950's I had to limit my variables on every research project because all of my analysis was done on a Monroe calculator and I was the operator. That was a tiresome and sometimes boring task. When that fantastic new invention, the key punch, came into existence I could expand the test variables and have someone else do the "punching". Take what seemed like millions of cards to someone else and have my results in short order. Now, as one of my cohorts said many years ago, "If I can make enough assumptions, I don't even have to do the research, just grind out the numbers".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well Joe, I learned some new history today. I had never seen

Mar 12, 2019, 1:57 PM

a Monroe calculator until I Googled it after your poast. Looks like an adding machine on Meth.

Mandatory slide run class was a huge waste of time.

Mar 12, 2019, 3:59 PM

Punching cards and getting a successful compile as a bigger waste of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 6:51 PM

I dropped that course in 1975.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 7:05 PM

Going to Martin Hall ground floor or to P&AS basement to run punch cards through.Of course this was mid 80s.

Mar 12, 2019, 7:31 PM

Milkshakes were good. Better with a couple raw eggs in it. As I worked in P&AS and knew the guys and got a freebie every day.

Mar 12, 2019, 8:08 PM

When I was there, the Serene hall computer room was a short SLOW walk past the shoe boxes.

Mar 12, 2019, 9:09 PM

I knocked the bottom out of your girlfriend while she was hanging off of the pendulum!

Yeah, that was me!! Sorry life turned out the way it did but she was a freak. Upside down in the parking lot at Lamar's was her natural state.

I'm not saying your girlfriend,now wife was a ####. I can only report that she had landing lights tattooed on her stomach.

I'm sure those were for scientific purposes only.

God bless her...and her sister. You are a lucky man! :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 9:10 PM

1977 . . not dropping you stack of punch cards. That was disastrous.

Mar 15, 2019, 11:28 AM

Back then, long before it became a problem in a Presidential election, a "hanging chad" would totally screw up your computer run!

The fact that my future brother-in-law...

Mar 15, 2019, 11:49 AM

Jimmy and my drinking buddy Kevin worked in there. Unfortunately both were latter killed in automobile accidents.

Mar 15, 2019, 12:08 PM

It's been a long time ago, but it seems like while I was on that side of campus, I would get a milkshake at the P&A(?) building.

Hoping that your program that you left earlier ran successfully.

Mar 15, 2019, 12:17 PM

When you said that about Organic Lab on Friday, I said he must have been a Chem E!! I graduated in 1980 but they made us take a special Lab section that was just for Chem Es and was only on Friday afternoon! I also had much fun with the punch cards!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2019, 5:17 PM

Yep, graduated from Earle Hel! in 1976 in Chem E. I retired early last year.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic