Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MBA/net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

MBA/net

Apr 5, 2018, 8:30 AM

Based on the great, witty, and overall hilarious vibe of the lounge I figure we have either a lot of just good one liner people or some who may actually be smart and sociable.

So who has or knows someone with an MBA? I’m thinking about starting towards mine, probably get a graduate certificate since those are only 12-15 hours and see how that goes and since those classes count it would just be a start in the right direction.

Online crap anygood? They were starting to offer a lot of online and force online homework when I started undergrad and I hated it. I suppose it was probably because they were weeding out us dandelions but, well YOU DIDNT GET ME OUT TRI COUNTY!!! I GOT MY BACHELORS WITHOUT YOUR HELP.

Eh-hem. Anyways. Serious answers welcomed. Funny gets a TU. ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MBA/net

Apr 5, 2018, 8:33 AM

ECU here and only took two years. One of the best all online MBA programs in the Country. Would suggest. However, took me forever to get my GRE high enough. Math after being out of college for 10+ years was tough. That was really the tough part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MBA/net

Apr 5, 2018, 9:28 AM

Currently doing ECU online MBA now (a little more than halfway done and pursuing a Management Information Systems concentration). With 10 years of work experience and a letter of recommendation (that I wrote and my manager just signed), I was exempt from having to take the GRE. Plus, it's CHEAP compared to other programs, and with work paying for most of it, I'll get out with only paying a little out of pocket.

Class material is not hard at all. The most frustrating aspect is the small crap that you have to do that takes time and adds no or little value (from an online perspective). Example is discussion board posts with references (and responding to others' posts) in lieu of class discussion.

Unfortunately, Most professors seem to forget or don't grasp the concept that the majority of people doing the online route have full-time jobs and families, and treat the class the same as those who aren't working and attend in-person.

I'm ready to be done, but I know it'll help career-wise. Not necessarily because of material I "learned", but management's perception of me being able to effectively manage my time and achieve a goal.

SEE WHAT I MEAN??? MORE LURKERS***

Apr 5, 2018, 9:37 AM

Mave Batthews And? In all seriousness, I'm a huge proponent

Apr 5, 2018, 8:33 AM

of just taking the lemons that life gives you. Instead of trying to better yourself or advance your career, I think it's preferable to fall into a pit of despair and alcoholism before eventually killing yourself.

Re: Mave Batthews And? In all seriousness, I'm a huge proponent

Apr 5, 2018, 8:34 AM

I am doing all of this WITH an MBA, so I am winning life to the maximum degree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Champion of Life, if you will***

Apr 5, 2018, 8:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

just buy one online and save the hassle***

Apr 5, 2018, 8:39 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a Master

Apr 5, 2018, 8:51 AM

Here's the deal. If you're planning on switching jobs, it's worth it because it will look a hell of a lot better on your resume. If you're planning on staying where you're at for the foreseeable future, then it's not really worth it. When I got mine, I got a "good job, congarts" from my boss. But it is for sure a gold star with the recruiters and job offers I've had.

I got mine from a local small college. I got in at the beginning of them starting their program and didn't even have to take the GRE, which was one of he reasons I did the program. Took 5 years to complete since I took 3 classes a year so that the company I worked for would pay for all of it (they had a max spend). 1 class at a time with a semester off was pretty easy, but it's a lot of writing.

I cannot imagine going back to school for anything that

Apr 5, 2018, 8:52 AM

wasn't oriented toward a specific skill. Like, something I could make money at immediately like HVAC or welding. To this day I can only make it about 15 minutes through a powerpoint before my attention span is shot and I'm napping.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think about going back for HVAC all the time.

Apr 5, 2018, 9:08 AM

I just don't know how long it would take to become the boss of that ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably 5-7 years, I dunno

Apr 5, 2018, 9:13 AM

You could find a small town and dominate that bisch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much like any service industry, the biggest thing for a HVAC

Apr 5, 2018, 9:17 AM

guy seems to be just showing up when they say they will. All the rest is just mechanics.

Which is why I feel like I could dominate the Upstate with

Apr 5, 2018, 9:19 AM

a marine mechanics shop. All it would take is a little bit of customer service, and storage with a roof.

Same down here.

Apr 5, 2018, 9:22 AM

We've got like 2 good places to get the boat worked on, and they stay so busy you can't get a spot.

I haven't necessarily been displeased with where I've been

Apr 5, 2018, 10:25 AM

taking mine, I think they do good work. Even washed it last time it was there for a month. But it sat outside for a month too, and they aren't exactly cutting anybody a good deal on anything.

Re: Which is why I feel like I could dominate the Upstate with

Apr 5, 2018, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Which is why I feel like I could dominate the Upstate with ]

you know where it is at? Rebuilding props. NO ONE does it well and the only guy for years was up in Norfolk, VA. If you could nail that down, you would just rake in the cash.

The problem with MMI is it takes forever and you have to live down there while studying. Plus if you want to be a legit mechanic, you have to have the diagnostic computers for the four stroke engines these days. Well, to get that equipment you have to be say a Mercury dealer to get your hands on one. Soon it will be rare to see a carbureted boat motor, so your hands are tied and now you are a full blown marine dealer. Same goes with some parts and warranty work, have to be a dealer to get them. Sucks.

@lLakebum1®

Problem solved - 1 Hour Heating and Air

Apr 5, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Much like any service industry, the biggest thing for a HVAC ]

not sure if they have that in chucktown, but here in Greenville they were the tids.

I've used probably 4 different companies over the last 3 years after buying my house and I will no longer use anyone else. Showed up at the beginning of the window they said they would (which was a 1 hour window) and they were courteous and worked fast. Did a 2 day duct cleaning job in one day for me.

Nope. We have two kinds

Apr 5, 2018, 9:33 AM

The guys that have been here forever, and show up when they please, if they do at all, and the guy that just got off the boat from Argentina, but have no idea who anything works.

This is the 2nd time this week I've heard a great review of

Apr 5, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Problem solved - 1 Hour Heating and Air ]

them.

I can tell you fo sure that Mechanical & More out of Spartanburg-ish, is hands-down the worst company I've ever dealt with (ever. in any field), but too I'm balls-deep and 5 weeks into repairs w/ them to turn back

They've got a solid 1 star review on google

Apr 5, 2018, 10:35 AM

Sometimes it's best just to cut your loses. What are you having done that could possibly take that long?

For real. WTH is taking so long?

Apr 5, 2018, 10:48 AM

I've had whole units replaced in less time than that after service visits on the original.

less than one star, if you count the ones that say

Apr 5, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to They've got a solid 1 star review on google ]

"I HAD to give them at least one star to leave a review"

even better is their Facebook rating...2.1/5

the owner gave himself 2/5, and another relative gave them 4/5

I think the rest are 1/5

I have 3 heat pump systems in new house.
New house sat empty and mostly unused for almost a year
Now that heat (and A/C that one week) is being run (or trying), the transformers in the air handlers keep burning out. Tuesday, (5th visit that they've actually showed up for, probably 8-9 scheduled) they traced it back to bad relays. New Relays are coming in tomorrow, they say they'll be back tomorrow (which means, I'll have to call and chase them down on Monday) to install.

We'll see.

All this covered under one of those

Apr 5, 2018, 11:02 AM

home warranty things you get the seller to purchase?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes...which is really the only REAL reason they're still

Apr 5, 2018, 11:04 AM

involved. I've asked the warranty company to send someone else, but that was a no go.

I've got similar warranties on the rentals from the same company, which I'll be using the threat of broad-scale cancellation if one more thing goes awry or unfixed

you should do it....I was just saying the other day, that I

Apr 5, 2018, 10:28 AM [ in reply to I think about going back for HVAC all the time. ]

need some frands who know HVAC stuff.

I'm seriously thinking about taking a g'ville tech class or two...HVAC repair for beginners or something. I figure it'd be cheaper in the end

I think I'd take some horticultural/ag skill courses

Apr 5, 2018, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I cannot imagine going back to school for anything that ]

and get my chemical certification, so I could have license to buy and spray all sorts of toxic pesticides and stuff.

I know several people who've done that and

Apr 5, 2018, 9:06 AM

gone on to get that professional project management cert. All of this is dandy. Any good with accounting? At my former employer, all of the CPA's were the ones making real money. Source, I was the one generating their checks.

No I hate accounting.

Apr 5, 2018, 9:24 AM

But there’s really good money in telling pipeline contractors to go to hell and that they’re idiots. Which is basically my current job.

“Hey, just wanted to let you know that you’re a #### up and you have 3 days to get your crap off my right-of-way”

As someone from the accounting profession, do you know how

Apr 5, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to I know several people who've done that and ]

to pick out a bad accountant?

They have CPA at the end of their name.

I've met one that was actually worth a ####.

Signed,

Tickle_It, CMA (certification was forced on my by CPA, CFM, CMA, MBA boss).

I just know they all got paid. They got paid right

Apr 5, 2018, 10:30 AM

when they passed and kept getting pretty good raises when others did not.

Fuggin' accounting department holding people down like they aren't also 100% cost.

I have mine...don't do it

Apr 5, 2018, 9:53 AM

Unless you will specifically get a raise from your employer and/or your employer will pay for a substantial part of it or a new job you want will require it.

Degrees don't really matter as much as you think, networking and being valuable at your job does

I do wish I were better at playing the

Apr 5, 2018, 10:46 AM

networking game.

We are looking at the new Clemson MBA

Apr 5, 2018, 5:05 PM

in Business Analytics -https://www.clemson.edu/business/departments/mba/academics/analytics/index.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lost me at the tuition.

Apr 5, 2018, 5:12 PM

I feel like I'd have to get that large of a raise off the bat to justify the cost.

Agree - we are looking at paying some of this for some

Apr 5, 2018, 7:05 PM

employees - let them earn it back over a few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic