Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on Pitt fans....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

My take on Pitt fans....

Dec 2, 2018, 4:34 PM

I guess they're OK. They seemed a little bewildered and overwhelmed by the whole event. None of them I talked to expected to win...they were just happy to be there and not freezing their azzes off in Pittsburgh, I suppose. Even though the weather was crappy by our standards.

Again, I'm wondering if they are really a good fit in the ACC, along with BC and Syracuse. I really question why they are in our conference. Fanbases just have nothing in common.

Wife of RB said it best: I wish we were playing a Southern team. At least we could jaw back and forth with their fans and have some fun with that. With Pitt, you just shake your head and wonder why they're even here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: My take on Pitt fans....

Dec 2, 2018, 4:37 PM

Pitt is here just like Syracuse is to bolster the ACC as a basketball conference. Plain and simple.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ain't been good since Jamie got the axe***

Dec 2, 2018, 4:41 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly...

Dec 2, 2018, 4:39 PM

my Charlotre Dentist & a HHI Friend are Pitt Grads & smart, kind & friendly people..and attended game..

and texted me congrats this morn plus they enjoyed venue but game not so much.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitt has fans.I never see them even at their home games***

Dec 2, 2018, 4:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 4:40 PM

I was near akot of young Pitt fans and students. They like to sing Sweet Caroline and change the words in spots to let’s go Pitt .

https://youtu.be/1rGqaMkoiyg

They have chants for first downs.

Sweet

Dec 2, 2018, 4:51 PM

How sweet for them. Plus good looking girls. Bless their hearts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take them over the Tarholes.***

Dec 2, 2018, 4:45 PM

The Pitt Fans I met in some of Restaurant/Bars were Great!

Dec 2, 2018, 4:46 PM

Had a chance to meet a few in the lobby for a Wine Social in the Hotel Lobby. Then the next day at Lunch near the Stadium there was at least 12-15 in there. We talked about our Teams, Charlotte as a Host Venue, among a variety of things. Several even complimented our Southern Culture as refreshing for being Nice and Kind. We both agreed that ever Group always has that one that's an ###. Glad they are in the ACC!

I didn't go to Charlotte for the game...I was very impressed

Dec 2, 2018, 4:46 PM

with the attendance due to the weather. I made the call not to go because of the rain....wish I did go though.
I thought...least from the TV...Pitt had more fans there than I would thought.

I was 14 year old at the time... my Uncle and Aunt took me to the 1977 Gator Bowl against Pitt. We out numbered the Pitt fans 3 to 1 as I remembered. The game sucks of course....but I do remembered Pitt fans being rather cocky back then before the game. Then again from the mid-70's to the early 80's Pitt was a powerhouse.

Still I wonder the same thing...does Pitt, Syracuse and BC belong in the ACC?

Re: I didn't go to Charlotte for the game...I was very impressed

Dec 2, 2018, 8:51 PM

About attendance, their stadium is normally half empty though.

A few observations about Pitt football fans...

Dec 2, 2018, 4:47 PM

1 - Their adult male fans like to wear Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett jerseys. Grow-up fellas.

2 - They cannot hold their alcohol. Seemed like a lot if in ended up on their shoes.

3 - They use the "f" word a lot...A LOT !!!!

4 - They are very sensitive about the lousy attendance at their home games

5 - They are also very sensitive about James Franklin's ongoing refusal to acknowledge Pitt as a Penn State rival. Pitt is 2-9 in the last eleven meetings against Penn State.

6 - I thanked a few of them for their 48-14 loss to Penn State in 1981. Pitt was undefeated at 10–0 and number one in the nation. That loss cost Pitt a chance for its second national title in five years and sent Clemson to the Orange Bowl to face Nebraska.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 2, 2018, 4:48 PM

I was expecting "lugubrious".

Dec 2, 2018, 4:57 PM

They were friendly overall but the ones in front of us seemed intimidated as we all yelled C L E M S O...N. They were gone after half time. We had a great time rain and all.

Dec 2, 2018, 5:08 PM

I got so tired of them playing "Sweet Caroline" over the stadium PA system like they were home. Thank the Lord that Tiger Band did not need that artificial support.

They got a little mouthy when it was 14-10

Dec 2, 2018, 6:59 PM

I imagine they would have been intolerable if they were competitive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They definitely were back when they were.***

Dec 2, 2018, 5:49 PM

Dec 2, 2018, 5:15 PM

I thought they were young, very nice crowd.

Most thought they were overmatched.

One 20 something girl told me before the game for us to "beat that F... OUT OF Notre Dame. We hate Notre Dame."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 2, 2018, 5:21 PM

What do/did we have in common with MD, UVA, Duke, UNC, Wake? All founding members of the ACC, and I'd argue we're not any more dissimilar from them as we are Pitt. Also Pitt does exude some of that BC-esque toughness most years that you have to admire. We don't have much in common with any conference member except FSU and NC State.

I'd lump VT into that similar group******

Dec 2, 2018, 5:56 PM

Re: I'd lump VT into that similar group******

Dec 2, 2018, 6:00 PM

That's a gross oversight by me, due to going to bed at 2am. I dont do 2am any more

Re: I'd lump VT into that similar group******

Dec 3, 2018, 12:13 PM

There really isn't a good comparison to Clemson... we are exceptional by nature. That being said, if you were looking at just the *type* of school we are for similarities, then Purdue is our closest kin. Land-grant Ag/industrial focused school with higher academic standards that the "flagship"... and named after the benefactor. The only difference is that we had a stronger military emphasis and they were stricter in their Morril application.

I don't know... my son yells "Go Tigers" at our Duke neighbors. That is key, overlapping fanbases. I works with Wake, UNCheaters, State, FSU, PITT, GT folks. Lots of family with VT backgrounds. I even used to work with a BC person. I am fine with the current conference make up save Louisville and would rather have the Service Academies. Oh well.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on Pitt fans.... ]

Even though we love to hate them, the school we are most similar to is NCSU.

Well, what makes a school/fan base similar?

Dec 3, 2018, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on Pitt fans.... ]

Geography? History? Sports priorities? Traditions?

There are a lot of ways to look at it, I suppose, but I view most fan bases as being more similar than different. Take Boston College for example. They don't have the attendance or tailgating we have, but the fans they do have are typically devoted, knowledgeable, and very nice. I consider our fans to be devoted, knowledgeable, and nice as well, so would say we have a lot in common with them - even though the two schools are located very far apart.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Personally I thought they were terrible

Dec 2, 2018, 6:00 PM

and I'd be fine with it if they weren't in the ACC. If their football fans are any representation of the people of Pittsburgh, then that city can just wash away in their rivers for all I care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hard to get excited about a 7-5 team about to get killed***

Sep 20, 2022, 7:45 PM

Dec 2, 2018, 6:04 PM

"Again, I'm wondering if they are really a good fit in the ACC, along with BC and Syracuse. I really question why they are in our conference. Fanbases just have nothing in common."

Until the ACC heads get together and fire Swofford, the ACC will continue to strive to become more of a BBall conference. We don't really need teams from the north that prefer watching hockey or even teams like BC that prefer to watch the NFL and bball and BBall rather than college football. If the ACC wants to be a BBall conference, and CLEMSON wants to be a Football school, then we should attempt to get into the SEC, and then the CFP would just have 3 SEC teams and one ROY team from some other conference. ESPN would be happy, Kirk would be happy, USUC would never make the SEC Least championship game (if they let us into the Least division), and we would play Bama each year in the SECCG, and then again in the NC game. Life would be as we expect it to be.

Dec 2, 2018, 6:14 PM

Clemson could not have asked for Conference realignment and the CFP to evolve more favorably for us. Things may not be "southern" or football driven at all times. But since all the changes occurred, we've had to build new trophy cases

Lots of crap in this thread.

Dec 2, 2018, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: My take on Pitt fans.... ]

I've been to a lot of away games and bowl games against a lot of opponents from all over the country. Most of the time, I've found the fans of the other schools to be good natured, social and hospitable. This includes the fans of Syracuse, Louisville, and BC. The Pitt fans I ran across in Charlotte this weekend fit that profile. Nice collegiate types who enjoy supporting their team as much as Clemson fans enjoy supporting our Tigers. For every bad story I can tell (say some Syracuse fans at the McNabb Gator Bowl Slaughter) there are more good stories I can tell about every fan base (say the 'Cuse fans last year before, during, and after they beat us in the Carrier Dome).

Now about Swofford: Swoffie is a tarheel to the core, but while he has been the ACC Commissioner, the league has blossomed while the Big East self destructed and the Pac 12 became immaterial. While bluebellied Swoffie has been commissioner, the Big 12 lost Nebraska to the Big 10 and Colorado to the far west and TAMU and Missouri to the SEC and tried to replace those conference stalwarts with West (by gawd) Virginia. While Swofford has been ACC Commissioner the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland as if that makes any sense at all. Playing 'Cuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville and Miami means that when Clemson is very good like we are now, we get broader national support than we would if we were an all southern league.

I boo Swofford when he's on the stage with Dabo and the boys taking bows for us being good just to remind him we have long memories and he's a bluebelly. He gets the message. But it is foolish not to recognize that the ACC has become better while he has been the commissioner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ THIS

Dec 3, 2018, 12:19 PM

Thank you for your post. I think some people here view any school that isn't in the south and isn't hard-core about football as being inferior and "not a good fit." As you stated, there are some great fan bases in other parts of the country, and thankfully some of those schools are now members of the ACC. The landscape of conferences has changed, and for the most part, I really like the changes the ACC has made.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Lots of crap in this thread.

Dec 3, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Lots of crap in this thread. ]

So...mostly agree with your post...but you are an adult and actually boo another adult because of his affiliation and things that happened almost 40 years ago? Come on man...let it go. When you go to Washington DC, do you stand in front of the Lincoln Memorial and boo that too?

I hate playing BC and Cuse instead of UVa and Unc

Dec 2, 2018, 6:06 PM

it just doesn't seem right

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d be up for division realignment like this....

Dec 3, 2018, 12:12 AM

Classic:

Clemson
Duke
GT
NCSU
UNC
Virginia
Wake

New:

BC
FSU
Louisville
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Va. Tech

‘Rivalry cross-division games’....some of these would be lame, but whatever.

Clemson-FSU
Duke-Syracuse
GT-Miami
NCSU-Louisville
UNC- Pitt
UVA-VT
Wake-BC

Your realignment- we may never win another BB game

Dec 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

But then again we may never , ever , ever lose a football

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your realignment- we may never win another BB game

Dec 3, 2018, 11:37 AM

There are no divisions for basketball

This I am aware. Having a little fun

Dec 3, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Your realignment- we may never win another BB game ]

If the poster actually thought for one second that Teflon John was going to put all the Tobacco Road teams in a division with us, well, I chuckled.

They were fairly loud for the fans that were there

Dec 2, 2018, 6:24 PM

cheering during the game, but not one even made eye contact with me at the game, in the street, or at the airport.
I thought it was weird.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I don’t think they’re used to opposing fans being nice to them.

Dec 3, 2018, 1:23 PM

A couple seemed startled when we would welcome them...

Dec 2, 2018, 7:04 PM

Fan bases are like airlines. If you have continued exposure to them, at some point all of them will #### you off for some reason.

From personal experience, VT fans are super nice.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:21 PM

We need to give them a bit of a break. First they are yankees. Nothing wrong with that, my Mom was from the North and Dad from SC. But Northerners have a different perspective.

I remember when the Falcons were brand new. In the days of my childhood, fans had to pick between the Cowboys and the Redskins, because there was no pro teams closer to us. I picked the Cowboys until they started showing their Azzes in the 1990s.

Pittsburgh owned the Cowboys in the 1970s. Hacked me off.

Imagine trying to gin up support for a college football team in a city with storied NFL success in the distant and recent past. Where NFL, MLB, and even NHL squeeze out the sports page headlines. Kind of amazing they won a championship with Tony Dorsett and Cavanaugh.

In SC, college football is the whole deal. Even when USuck and Clemson both stunk, the winner of the football game was the be all and end all. Yeah, USuck had a few years of basketball success, but football is the the show in SC, any success in BBall is just gravy. Not so in NC or for that matter the remainder of the old ACC. USuck correctly recognized this as have we historically. It's part of what made them withdraw from the ACC. Clemson was pretty hacked off at the BBall centric orientation of the ACC in 1970 as well. We wisely decided to work from within to change it and with some rule changes, we got the the ability to compete in football and actually got competitive in BBall occasionally. We had not been for a long time in BBall, I remember in the late 60s Butch Zatezalo would score 25 points and Clemson would lose to a decent team by 25 anyway. But we held our own against the dirtpeckers in football, were always competitive in baseball, and eventually got competitive in BBall. I dare say in the last 30 years we have been well over .500 agaisnt USuck in basketball. We made the right decision. USuck has with limited exceptions continued to be mired in mediocrity in football. In Bball they made a splash two years ago but when the FBI eliminated the bagman they went back to the usual.

We should not try to judge Pitt football culture by our own lights. Different environment.

Be thankful Tigers! We are on top of the world and it will last forever. Think about the storied programs who would be happy to be where we are right now. Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Southern Cal, LSU and Nebraska. Let's get it done!

One thing is for sure...

Dec 3, 2018, 1:26 PM

It WON't last forever. Things will be good for some time, but I cautioned my kids the other day to relish these years because they are the best we have experienced (yes, even the 80's didn't hold a candle)...but some day, it will end. So, enjoy it!

the ones i talked to were pretty nice for the most part.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:32 PM

there was a group of them sitting near us that expressed frustration that they deffered after wining the coin toss, they were afraid we would get an early lead. they decided it was over after etn ripped that 75 yarder. they were also amazed that we stood up and yelled most of the game.

sat right behind them in row 1A, section 256

Dec 2, 2018, 8:39 PM

A majority of them gave the two handed middle finger salute when we came out of the tunnel

After ETN scored we asked if they were going to do the same to their defense.

Few retuned after halftime, 90% gone by start of 4th quarter

They do enjoy singing Neil Diamond though

ESPN Advised ACC to Take Northern Schools

Dec 2, 2018, 10:13 PM

Remember it was ESPN that advised the ACC to take the big market schools, Pitt, Syracuse and BC to increase TV ratings. And, well, they are on the Atlantic Ocean, I suppose.

Overall

Dec 3, 2018, 11:55 AM

I thought they were pretty nice individuals. The ones I met in the hotel lobby and around the stadium were respectable. I saw lots of Steelers stuff though!! Maybe they were converted Steelers fans into Pitt fans just for this game? Surely, you should wear at least something U of Pitt related instead of Steelers, come on!

I do have two specific encounters:

1. We were huddled around one of the tvs watching the Bama game and a younger dude started talking to me. He said, "I was fortunate enough to watch the upset in 2016 in DV and I was blown away about the sportsmanship and respect you guys had for us. Your fans congratulated us after the game and it blew me away. I know we don't have much of a shot tonight, so got beat ND's ### after you beat us!"

2. In passing (at halftime), I heard one Pitt fan say to another, "Well we came somewhat close at one point but they're just too good and we can't stop them. Time to go home and get dry."

No problems with the Pitt fans, except...

Dec 3, 2018, 12:02 PM

...some of them were wearing coot gear.

I think those were Pitt fans only for the day.

They were yelling "Go C0cks" so there's that.

I have seen coot fans at every Clemson bowl game I've been to. Of course I didn't see them in Tampa.

the ones I met were very nice and respectful

Dec 3, 2018, 12:41 PM

we were on our way up to the Suites so that is kind of expected.

I didn't get a chance to meet any of the Dan Marino jersey wearing type guys :)

A little perspective for those who have never been...

Dec 3, 2018, 12:55 PM

As bigger cities go, you'll never find one with nicer people than Pittsburgh. It's a beautiful place, especially at night.

It's a pro sports town. They live and die by the Steelers, Penguins, and to some degree the Pirates, and rightfully so. The city of champions, indeed. It's not that they don't care about college football but it isn't held in the regard we do in the south by any measure. They regularly fill Heinz Field to about half capacity or a little better.

They know sports in Pittsburgh. Every detail, every nuance. Very educated and passionate about it. They probably wondered themselves what they were even doing on the same field with Clemson and had no delusions about the probable outcome. That said, they have some die hards and you can't blame them for wanting to experience the experience, especially given they snuck up on us 2 years ago.

I've been to Steeler and Pirate games in Pittsburgh and it's a hardcore sports and rock n roll town. There are some cities and fanbases I dislike, for sure, but Pittsburgh is just different.

There are 2 choices when your team is unlikely to win:

Dec 3, 2018, 2:02 PM

Get your jawing in before the game - the BC fans in Boston used this approach

OR

The smile and hope for the best - this approach was used by Pitt fans

I liked the Pitt folks that I met (I was offered a beer twice). They appreciated the Clemson crowd ("Only 30,000 show up for a game at Heinz Field").

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic