Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking for an EDC upgrade
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Looking for an EDC upgrade

Jun 6, 2019, 12:33 AM

Currently and for the last few years I have carried a Kershaw Cryo .
It's a nice little $30 EDC knife ( Rick Hinderer design / chinese steel ) and I really like it .
Its a little weighty for the size ( 2.75 in blade ) and the blade has a nice grind on it .
However , if any of y'all are carrying more expensive/better manufactured EDC knives let me know about what you have and the specs of the knife ... why I would like it .
Looking for something along the same size ( maybe 3.5 but no more ) .
I'm also in love with narrowness in the overall design , from a pocket comfort standpoint .

Whatcha got ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Looking for an EDC upgrade

Jun 6, 2019, 1:59 AM

We have heavy butter knives but they are much to long and sharp for you. I had an Old Timer but lost it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 6, 2019, 2:50 AM

This wasn't a butter knife poast , Humble ... but I will stash that and get back to you when it's that time again .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 9:11 AM

Could I interest you in a very sturdy steak knife from a set I received as a gift?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 12:23 PM

Are they a Meister Crump design ?

Asking for an LBB .

DB23

this is my wheelhouse brother.. I have some stupid knives

Jun 6, 2019, 2:20 AM

I'd love to show off.

#1 Koenig Mini goblin with Aqua twill carbon fiber scale. This knife is outrageous and way too expenisve. I use it and It's my finest pocket jewelry. It's a wharcliffe style blade so it makes full use of the 3" edge. The flipping action is some of the finest in the industry. They are sold out everywhere, the normal titanium model is around $500

#2 Shirogorov NeOn Ultra lite with elmax steel. Beautifully milled titanium scales, multi row bearings system for super snappy deployment. You can pick these up on the secondary market around $450. I think they are around $600 new.

#3 Benchmade Anthem This is an "intregral" style knife. The handle is a solid piece of titanium that is milled out to fit the blade. Flips open super smooth and sports 20cv steel. The benchmade axis lock is unique on this model, it doesn't use the "omega springs" that can fail over time. It's the best Benchmade by far IMO. The intergral design is not cheap, I think retail is around $400

#4 Boos blades Smoke CM1. This is a south African style front flipper. It's a little weird if you'r not a knife nerd but the thing is around 2oz in weight, it will dissapear in your pocket. The m390 steel is awesome, I've never chipped an edge with it. These were around $220 if you can find one.

#5 Spyderco Para 3 - This is a more "sane" price range of around $100. This is probably my most heavily used pocket knife. The compression lock is one of the best ever created. The release mechanism is on the back of the knife so you never have to put your hand under the blade to unlock and close it. You stick your thumb or middle finger in the "spydie hole" and it flips out like a champ. Very solid working knife, the inside is skeletonized for easy cleaning.

other knives I love:

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (bigger than the Para 3).

Spydero Chaparral or Delica. Super light knives you can carry in gym shorts.

Microtech LUDT. Push button automatic so check your state's Knife laws before ordering

Spyderco Spydiechef - neat new steel developed by NASA, LC200N is super corrosion resistant but holds a nice edge. Titanium handles that are super strong and lock up nicely. This might be a good choice for a tugboat captain. (Also check out the Native 5 salt if corrosion resistance is important to you.)

North Arm Skaha II.. long waiting list to get one of these. Excellent action at a sub $200 price point. The carbon fiber version is around $250

Chris Reeve Sebenza/Inkosi.. a little over priced for what they are. Great warranty and service. It's kind of like the reliability of a Glock but at a higher price point. Very easy to dissasemble, clean and reassemble

kershaw makes good stuff, I think they even have a model with M390 steel for around $70. If you're going to spend that much I'd recommend checking out a Spyderco. They look a little weird but they are a tool designed to be used. The ergonomics in the hand are hard to match.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kershaw...>$20... Walmart. Partially serrated.Easy flip.***

Jun 6, 2019, 2:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is my wheelhouse brother.. I have some stupid knives

Jun 6, 2019, 2:52 AM [ in reply to this is my wheelhouse brother.. I have some stupid knives ]

This was highly informative . Thanks for all of the info .
Researching....

DB23

Another vote here for Spyderco.

Jun 6, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to this is my wheelhouse brother.. I have some stupid knives ]

I've carried a Spyderco Delica or Stretch 2 for many years. The Delica is a little smaller and a great all-arounder; mine has the "SpyderEdge" which is half serrated and comes in real handy when cutting rope or roots or the like. The Stretch is a bigger knife with a nice point for sticking people if you ever needed to, and is surprisingly unobtrusive and comfortable in the pocket for a knife of it's size. You're dead on about the handle ergonomics as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Another vote here for Spyderco.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:25 PM

Working on the water I cut a bunch of line and stuff , serrated edges ARE a plus .

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 2:43 AM

Try the Kershaw Leek. It is a little more expensive then the cryo, but in my opinion a much better knife. I have a few of these and give them as gifts all the time. Not sure if they are all made in USA, but the ones I have are. I have some benchmades, and spyderco knives, but I prefer the kershaw leeks. They are nice and slim and easy to flip out one handed. Plus they are not too expensive to lose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 2:55 AM

That's what keeps me from going into that $300-$700 knife market , honestly . I lose a $600 knife and I get a little weepy , 50 bucks and I would just go get the same deal .

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Looking for an EDC upgrade ]

Yep, they're like sunglasses. A $600 pair of sunglasses will fall out of the boat or get scratched in the first week. A $10 pair of drug-store glasses that you buy as a replacement for the rest of the trip will still be knocking around for years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 12:26 PM

Been my unfortunate experience more often than knot .

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Looking for an EDC upgrade ]

^ This. I had a pair of Costas the wife bought me for 2 weeks, Oakleys maybe a month. Walmart Panama Jacks? 2 years and running. Knives, I have a few super nice knives like my Benchmade that was actually issued to me pre-deployment. It has a solid clip and is slim. I also got a monster switch Gerber that is ok, but is too heavy and bulky. I also, from my days of being a poor broke Sgt. have an old Smith and Wesson. TBH, miht be one of the best I ever had. Kept an edge, was rugged, darn good knife for $30.00. Just my input.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 1:22 PM

Knife advice from a Marine is always taken seriously :)

Particularly on D-Day !

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

A leatherman

Jun 6, 2019, 4:11 AM

multitool with scissors and just a few blades for the last 10-12 years or so. The tweezers have been broken for about 5 years. I'll be looking to upgrade in the next few years or so.

I might go back to a swiss army knife. They worked great from about 10 yrs old till my 40's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the SAK is a very underrated multi tool. They will take a

Jun 6, 2019, 10:51 PM

beating and the steel is solid enough for most people.

Jun 6, 2019, 7:29 AM

Wow - I've never owned a knife in my life. Interesting post. Someone gave me a knife when I retired, but it's still in a box in the attic. Oddly enough my mom had a knife for some reason, and I took that after she passed, but it's in the attic too. So I guess I own some knives, but have no use for them. This was certainly an interesting post due to the amazing difference of views about things.

Jun 6, 2019, 7:37 AM

Never had a knife?
Have you ever had sex?

Jun 6, 2019, 10:37 AM

I don’t know why that’s so funny but it is. +1

I've carried this for years and found it quite functional

Jun 6, 2019, 7:33 AM

for my every day needs, not to mention very "Clemsonish."

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-Bantam-BLW-Knife-Mossy-Oak--12362

Nice! Perfect for game day!***

Jun 7, 2019, 9:58 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 7:34 AM

Kershaw 3480 Les George Valmara Assisted Flipper 3.1" Stonewashed Blade, Black Zytel Handles

Jun 6, 2019, 7:44 AM

Here’s an Every Day Carry, but it’s not a knife. It’s called the Beverage Leverage, a bottle opener that is particularly useful for those that have arthritic conditions of the hand that make opening all kinds of bottles (20 oz soda bottles, water bottles, beer, etc.) easier. It was developed by two brothers and Clemson Engineering graduates and will be coming to a Kickstarter campaign soon! Here’s the link if anybody is interested - www.beverageleverage.com.

get yourself a GEC beerscout. super cool traditional slip

Jun 6, 2019, 10:53 PM

joint knife. Very cool and collectible

Spyderco with a Victorinox Alox Pioneer

Jun 6, 2019, 7:50 AM

I have a pile of Spydercos, currently carry a Native with the fiberglass reinforced handle. For you seafarers, they make a rustproof version of many of their knives, called an H1 steel. I have a couple of Delicas that I may rotate as well. Both of these have blades less than 3”, which can be an issue in some states but mainly they’re just more manageable. Natives run $80+ depending on the type scales. The Delicas are $50-75.

The Victorinox (Swiss Army) is a favorite. The Alox is the aluminum scale and is a heavier duty version of the standard SAK everyone has. It has the canopener/screwdriver/scissors option the single blade I carry doesn’t have. Plus, I have a smaller version on my keychain. The big Vic is about $45.

I carry those everyday.

Message was edited by: Bubbatiger84®

I'm elated that there are more Spyderco fans here. they

Jun 6, 2019, 10:55 PM

recently released a new "salt" native5 that has LC200N steel (a corrosion resistant steel developed by NASA)

It's much better than H1 in edge retention and offers the same corrosion resistance.

Re: I'm elated that there are more Spyderco fans here. they

Jun 7, 2019, 3:50 AM

To be fair spyderco is the way to go for quality,light weight, duarable knives,from the delicas,to the grasshoppers, to the para military, etc theyre just great knives that dont break the bank.

Now you have brands like benchmade who make great quality knives and the 940 will always be legendary but benchmade asks you for your arm with your purchase.

Cold steel. Stong locking mechanisms. But kveral knives are to big to edc.

Gerber decent
throw away edc. Bearings are cheap steal normally cheap.

Case showcase knife. Not for true heavy use.

Old timers see case.

Kershaw. Good quality cheap knives. Still considered a mostly throw away knife due to price and steal on average.

At the end of the dayunless youre gonna carry a small fixed blade like a crkt minimalist "you can get for 20 bucks at lowes now" or a esse. Spyderco is the only logical edc folder

Jun 6, 2019, 7:51 AM

I carried the same knife (cryo) but lost it at a TSA check in due to my stupidity. Now I carry the Ruike P801, it’s better than the cryo was. I’m thinking about getting a Spyderco Manix and switching to orange handles, but that would be 3X the price of the Cryo or the Ruike.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Ruike P801 is pretty amazing for its price point,

Jun 6, 2019, 10:58 PM

excellent flipper with decent steel. Sandvik isn't bad and it's very easy to sharpen.

Jun 6, 2019, 8:14 AM

I carry a TRS 325S tactical knife with a 3 inch blade everywhere I go. I use it everyday on the farm from cutting twine, to scraping wood and metal, prying, cutting limbs, as a screw driver and everything else it's not designed to do. It has been run over by truck, lost outside for a month (then found of course) and did not rust and quickly flips open as good as it did the day it was taken out if the box. It's fairly easy to sharpen and holds an edge pretty good. Any adjustments to blade spring tension can be made with a small Allen wrench.

You can buy them on Ebay or Amazon for around $25 or sign up on a survival site and a couple times a year, they will give them away for shipping only.

Jun 6, 2019, 1:24 PM

Great heads up !

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 8:15 AM

Read all the time but never post but had to share the best knife I have ever owned. A client gave me a 3” Crawford Kasper about 8 years back. Produced under the CRKT Brand. It has both the Crawford & Kasper locking mechanism. Always clipped in the right front pocket. A Case canoe and a Swiss Army pin knife is always in the left front pocket . Before the CRKT I carried a SOG about the same size and weight about 10 years. Before that it was a PUMA for about 20 years. Still have all of them in a drawer.

Jun 6, 2019, 1:27 PM

You sound reasonable .

Post more ?

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 9:03 AM

Doug, You mention thinness-check out the Kershaw Skyline 1760. Very thin, 3.1" blade g10 scales, Sandvik 14C28N Stainless and can be had for under $40. Here it is at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Lightweight-Pocketknife-High-Performance-Stonewashed/dp/B001CZBDF8 and a review by Nutnfancy on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P07bDa9xM-o

Jun 6, 2019, 10:33 AM

Zero Tolerance 0450 series, 3 1/4" blade, can get the handles in a variety of materials (titanium, carbon fiber, etc.), it's similar to what you have now. Check out the SMKW.com website, they're located just above Pigeon Forge Tennessee, knives out the whazoo.

Jun 6, 2019, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Looking for an EDC upgrade ]

This looks like a good little knife . 3.1 inch blade is perfect for the pocket.

Thanks .

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 12:48 PM

Benchmark Griptilian is game changing.

Jun 6, 2019, 1:04 PM

The mini Griptillian or full size?

get the full size grip or the FREEK from benchmade

Jun 6, 2019, 11:00 PM

if you can afford it spring for the Anthem. it's on another level.. it will outlive me

The mimi griptilian is awesome. About 4" closed with blade

Jun 7, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Looking for an EDC upgrade ]

just under 3". Light and rides nice clipped in/on your pocket. Super-smooth action both opening and closing. I have the camo. Wish I had it in orange!

dude....you gotta style and profile

Jun 6, 2019, 1:19 PM

https://www.amazon.com/CASE-XX-National-Champions-Stainless/dp/B07PBQT554

Re: dude....you gotta style and profile

Jun 6, 2019, 1:29 PM

That's a display case knife . Purty .

DB23

seriously, my edc is a Kershaw 1620 Scallion

Jun 6, 2019, 1:35 PM

Chive too small, Leek too long. That Speedsafe opening....you just can't do without that.

Scallion.....just right. Fits perfect in that little change pocket in the dungarees.
You can get a serrated version too if you prefer.

Dug, if you really want a bad ### knife in the $50 price

Jun 6, 2019, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: dude....you gotta style and profile ]

range I would recommend buying a Shirogorov clone from DHgate.com

it's 90% of what the $700 Russian knives offer in fit and finish. The titanium scales will never rust.

the smaller 3" blades are called the Neon lite or ultralight.

The F95 clones are larger, 3.5-3.75" blades.

You can get them cheap with D2 steel, it's semi stainless and very good stuff. If you spend a little extra you can get it with S35vn steel or M390 which offer much better corrosion resistance.

Re: Dug, if you really want a bad ### knife in the $50 price

Jun 7, 2019, 9:06 AM

These are the hot sellers at BladeHQ as well. A lot of knife for the $.

Good stuff!***

Jun 7, 2019, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Dug, if you really want a bad ### knife in the $50 price ]

Found a Premier Edge Emblem knife in the mud today...

Jun 6, 2019, 11:01 PM

...after a thunderstorm. Has a "Leon County Sheriff" emblem on it. A little clean-up becomes a decent free knife.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 5:20 AM

CRKT knives are great. Comparable to Kershaw. I have a 2.75-3 in blade with a bottle opener on the butt end. Love this one.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 6:22 AM

Pick up a basic/small, Case from any hardware store. Last forever. Grab some Levi Garrett while you’re there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic