Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's say that what everyone has their panties in a wad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Let's say that what everyone has their panties in a wad

Oct 19, 2017, 8:08 AM

about really happens, Georgia wins out.
They will have beaten (again assuming they win out) two teams that are currently ranked in the top 25.
Auburn (most of you know I believe Goergia loses this one) and Notre Dame will both have been top 25 road games.

They will not beat Bama in the championship. SO, is that enough of a resume to get in?

Granted it is a tougher schedule than Bama has played. Again working on the theory that Goergia wins out and beats Auburn, Bama will have beaten one in the top 25, and that is current number 25 LSU. I know the nation salivates over Bama, but by far thier most impressive win is against a Texas A&M program that wants nothing more than to ditch their coach.

I can't see either of these teams standing on the stregnth of their weak scheules and getting in with a loss on championship Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a

Oct 19, 2017, 8:11 AM

four-team playoff (in a fair world).

Period.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clap, clap, clap..................***

Oct 19, 2017, 8:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^completely agree ^^^^***

Oct 19, 2017, 9:25 AM [ in reply to No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: ^^^completely agree ^^^^***

Oct 19, 2017, 10:07 AM

Me too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a

Oct 19, 2017, 10:09 AM [ in reply to No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a ]

This! My bet is that will be true, unless it's AL. They are an automatic invite. I guess there is some kind of clause in Saban's contract that guarantees it, even if they lose a couple of weeks before the end of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a

Oct 19, 2017, 10:10 AM [ in reply to No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a ]

Hey now! What about 2016 Ohio State? They didn't win their conference and they still put up points in the playoffs right?

Hmmm...

Oct 19, 2017, 1:00 PM

I see what you did there! Nice!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PSU last season.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:39 AM [ in reply to No team that can't win its conference should ever be in a ]

OSU didn't belong and 31-0 proved it to the POC. I doubt they will make that mistake again.

Their problem is just like every else's problem. They hold on to previously held beliefs way too long. Folks don't like to admit they were wrong by dropping a favorite team out of contention.

NO TEAM WITHOUT A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP ON ITS RESUME SHOULD BE SEEDED IN THE PLAYOFF!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's say that what everyone has their panties in a wad

Oct 19, 2017, 8:12 AM

I don't wear panties

When did you stop?

Oct 19, 2017, 1:01 PM

Are you going commando now? :)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One loss vs one loss and one a conf champ and one not,

Oct 19, 2017, 8:15 AM

The conference champ gets in. When you have a second loss champ vs a one loss non champ who only loss is to nbr one then there’s a discussion

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama has to play Auburn as well. Assuming AU is in the top

Oct 19, 2017, 8:17 AM

25 after loosing to UGA, that would be two Top 25 wins for Bama.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I'm not willing to concede that Auburn loses to Georgia

Oct 19, 2017, 10:38 AM

and the game is at Auburn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If SEC championship is close and UGA looks the part...then they have an argument

Oct 19, 2017, 8:26 AM

I'm not one of those that believes a conference championship is a requirement. I'd prefer having just a single rep from each conference, but not hung up on it.

However, if reps two of the conferences are not deserving, then bring in an extra.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA can argue all they want.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:42 AM

IF the playoff committee rematches two teams which have played postseason in the previous few weeks they will make light of the reason for a playoff. It would contradict the goal of the playoff system. This isn't a double elimination baseball tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

since the playoffs started there have been.......

Oct 19, 2017, 8:28 AM

multiple variables that the individuals on the committee value and that's the toughest part to get a grasp on when "predicting" what happens in given scenarios.

2014- TCU and baylor were "punished" for not playing a conference championship game
2015- don't believe there was much controversy
2016- Ohio State got REWARDED for not playing in a conference championship game

it'll be interesting to see what they "value" this year. There's a lot of "what ifs" out there, but what do they value if 12-0 UGA beats 12-0 Bama CLOSE..........and it came down to 12-1 clemson conference champ vs 12-1 bama non conference champ?......not saying who "deserves" it just wondering what the committee will value seeing that it changes year to year..........chances are a lot of things will work themselves out, but 2 of the last 3 have had some controversy.

Hopefully, the Committee learned a lesson in 2016

Oct 19, 2017, 8:33 AM

31 - 0

Conference championships are a big deal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one would think, however........

Oct 19, 2017, 8:44 AM

you hear a lot of:

good loss
bad loss
conference champion
"better eye test team"
better wins
close wins
injuries
etc, etc, etc......

it's all about what they value most and it varies by year.

Re: one would think, however........

Oct 19, 2017, 9:03 AM

It all depends on how drunk they are when they vote.

Re: one would think, however........

Oct 19, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to one would think, however........ ]

Which is stupid to me. Their should be at least some kind of standard for finding the best 4 teams. So far it has been inconsistent for the first 3 years.

Conference titles matter one year but not the next? Crazy thinking.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The playoff committee got rewarded for putting OSU in too.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:44 AM [ in reply to since the playoffs started there have been....... ]

31-0 make them look inept, incompetent and impotent.

PSU was a 2 loss team, that's why they didn't get in***

Oct 19, 2017, 1:10 PM [ in reply to since the playoffs started there have been....... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's say that what everyone has their panties in a wad

Oct 19, 2017, 9:16 AM

If Georgia and Alabama win out, it does create an interesting scenario. Yet allowing them both in the Playoffs sets up a potential controversy. Suppose Alabama loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship but both get in the Playoffs and Alabama goes on to beat Georgia there. There would need to be a rubber match to decide who the better team really is since they've played twice within the month and split. I don't think the committee will want any part of that. So while it may "feel" unfair, the Committee will take the best Conference Champions unless a Conference Champion has two or more losses. At that point, they'll take whoever they think is the best team over the two loss Conference Champion. However, I predict that either Georgia or Alabama will lose to Auburn, which makes all this a moot point. My guess is it's Alabama. That's why I'm still sticking with my preseason prediction that Clemson will play Georgia for the National Championship. Time will tell. Go Tigers!

Well said.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:45 AM

It isn't a double elimination tournament.

Unless you're Alabama***

Oct 19, 2017, 12:39 PM

My take...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:33 AM

I think the CFP Committee would likely take the best Conference Champions unless a Conference Champion had two or more losses.

At that point, I think the Committee would then take what is, in their opinion, the best one loss non-Conference Champion team over the two loss Conference Champion.

I tend to agree based on 0310

Oct 19, 2017, 1:07 PM

getting in last year when they were not the conference champ. However, perhaps the committee learned something based on their showing - or lack thereof.

Go Tigers!!!

No...nobody that loses a CCG is in a 4 team playoff***

Oct 19, 2017, 1:08 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic