Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let’s hear an Xs and Os breakdown between us and ND...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,178

Let’s hear an Xs and Os breakdown between us and ND...

Dec 2, 2018, 8:21 PM

I’d like to read some input from anyone who understands the game and has watched ND play. I haven’t gotten the chance to watch them all season. I know Book is a pretty good QB and the running game has picked up since Dexter Williams came back from injury.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our X's are much better than their O's.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:31 PM

Won't be close.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our X's are much better than their O's.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:34 PM

Us

Passing Yards 270.1
Rushing Yards 259.8
Points For 45.45 5th
Points Against 13.7

Them

Passing Yards 265.6
Rushing Yards 190.5
Points For 33.6 50th
Points Against 17.3

Re: ND-Clemson break down

Dec 2, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Our X's are much better than their O's. ]

I'm going to get super technical:

#WeTooDeep.

In all seriousness, ND needs to have a balanced offense to be able to win the game. I don't think they can run effectively over the course of the evening. If our front 7 can make them 1-dimensional, Book will have a good statistical night, but we will win. Provided, of course, that we don't give up a couple of really big runs that skew the play-to-play control.

And, although the stats make it seem like we are balanced, we are not. We are actually a chameleon on offense in that we adapt to what the defense gives us when the opposition tries to make us 1-dimensional. When the defense doesn't load the box, we keep pounding the 4-back rotation and rush for 300+ yards, but throw for not that much. Starting with Georgia State game in the 3rd game where TL16 became the main passer (he had 2x the attempts as KB), 6 of the 11 games have seen him not even reach the 200-yard mark. Against Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Wake & Louisvi77e, we averaged exactly 200 yds passing (TL + Bryce passing), and yet only the outcome in the Syracuse game--where TL hardly played--was ever in doubt.

However, when the run gain is below average, and we need to go out & put the game out of reach with a Passing Offense, TL16 has looked great. For example, four Power 5 held Etienne well under 100 yards this season:
1. NC State, 39 yards
2. Florida State, 45 yards
3. Boston College, 75 yards
4. Duke, 81 yards

How did TL16 respond? He averaged nearly 300 yards passing with 8 TDs, only 1 Int, and a passing efficiency rating of over 151. Not too shabby.

Thus, we have proven in many games that, unlike almost every other team out there, we can absolutely thrive by being 1 dimensional, and can totally dominate you either way: by just running down it your throat or just throwing it all over the field.

Great post.. tu.***

Dec 3, 2018, 4:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Our X's are much better than their O's.

Dec 3, 2018, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Our X's are much better than their O's. ]

Tigers by 17 or more

Re: Let’s hear an Xs and Os breakdown between us and ND...

Dec 2, 2018, 10:04 PM

Watch the Pitt/ND at ND game replay for a good idea of how pathetic ND is. Pitt led until 5:43 left in the game, and missed two FG's and lost by 5. Really??? Pitt could have easily won that game. Only a miracle saved ND.

CLEMSON got lucky being paired with ND, even though OU was terrorized thinking they might have to play CLEMSON. Visions of Baker Mayfield getting knocked out by Ben Boulware after the INT keeps running thru their heads. And Perine getting pulverized, and Mixon getting slammed into next week has them traumatized. Nah - OU is happy to play little ol' Bama, even though Bama plays dirty, it won't be as bad.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:33 PM

Exactly. I watched it live and remember it well. ND was fortunate to have won that game. I also agree that ND is the more favorable opponent. The two teams I preferred not to face in the semi were Bama and Oklahoma.

Not Xs and Os, but the ESPN talking heads pointed out that teams like Oklahoma, Ohio State, or Georgia would be an unfavorable matchup for ND because of superior team speed, yet they did not include Clemson in the list. Clearly our speed is on par with those teams, so that is worth consideration in addition to Xs and Os.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:44 PM

InspectorM is absolutely right. I need to add on to my assessment above with the following addendum:

Super Technical point #2:
Clemson O's are faster than the ND X's

#We(still)TooDeep

To quote Dabo . . .

Dec 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

These boys are in trouble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,178
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic