Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LeBron is very wrong on one topic in this article ( link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

LeBron is very wrong on one topic in this article ( link)

Dec 22, 2018, 10:57 AM

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/21/lebron-james-shop-hbo-show-todd-gurley-nfl-national-anthem-protests-owner-league-responses

Says that just like the NBA, individual NFL players are the most important part of the league. “ Without Odell Beckham or Todd Gurley there is no football”. Very wrong statement. The NBA is a much more player important league. People go see the NBA in a lot of cases to see particular players play. There are less numbers on the floor and the superstars can really dictate the game on every play.

In the NFL, it is much easier to plug and play players therefor they have much less power. People also are much more fans of their team instead of certain players

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then why does the NFL go out of its way to make the rules...

Dec 22, 2018, 11:01 AM

... for the QB so much different?

They are clearly protecting the QB because they know people come to see those QBs. So they make the rules to ensure there is a very low probability that the QB will get hurt and miss games.

Because the NFL is run by and for the owners...

Dec 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

and owners invest the most in their QBs.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're not exactly right because..........

Dec 22, 2018, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Then why does the NFL go out of its way to make the rules... ]

it used to be before these QB rules were implemented that QBs were "sitting ducks" just waiting for some DT or LB or CB or whoever to storm in and wipe them out with a hit to the knees, back, head, etc.

You may not be old enough to remember that but I am. QBs used to be "walking wounded" who in many cases had major problems after football as a result (just ask Joe Namath how many knee operations, etc. he's had).

Sure, you're right out protecting them because the fans want to see them - that's true enough. But it's not that simple.

Re: LeBron is very wrong on one topic in this article ( link)

Dec 22, 2018, 11:02 AM

Not so sure. I know I’m never watching a Texans game without Deshaun and Nuk there.

And if I remember correctly, during a strike many years ago, the NFL went with scrubs for a while. Very few people cared to watch those games.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:11 AM

Because you were a Clemson fan before.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:56 AM

LeBron has now become a know all kind of person.Guess who cares what he says or thinks? Not me these rich football and basket ball players are spoiled brats

I'm sick of this prima dona - his ego is through the roof...

Dec 22, 2018, 11:05 AM

and I'm tired of hearing from him. And he plays the race card by naming only black stars when referring to the NFL. What about Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.? The NFL are people playing as a team in order to succeed, regarding what race they are.

Re: I'm sick of this prima dona - his ego is through the roof...

Dec 22, 2018, 11:25 AM

I don't like the race thing either but some of it is true. He said they are like slave owners tho he did not say slave owners of black people. He is a dang humble person considering he is the most famous athlete in America. His ego could be much larger he just knows he has a platform and wants to get his word and opinion out to help change the world for the better.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:37 AM

Please.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 11:58 AM

There are some real numb nut on here

Dec 22, 2018, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sick of this prima dona - his ego is through the roof... ]

Please what? I don't agree with a lot of what he says but he has good intentions. Some of you seem upset you are only heard on here.

Dec 22, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sick of this prima dona - his ego is through the roof... ]

It’s quit simple really. If you don’t want to be a modern day slave, don’t report to the modern day “slave owners”. In some way, shape, and form, we are all slaves to someone. (The Government)

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

It's not 'just like' but similar

Dec 22, 2018, 11:18 AM

Fantasy leagues have moved the NFL much closer to the NBA model of emphasizing tbe players. In Buffalo though fans may be more star agnostic but in the Atlanta, LA,...the transient cities...it's about winning AND the stars.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 11:21 AM

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/21/lebron-james-shop-hbo-show-todd-gurley-nfl-national-anthem-protests-owner-league-responses

Says that just like the NBA, individual NFL players are the most important part of the league. “ Without Odell Beckham or Todd Gurley there is no football”. Very wrong statement. The NBA is a much more player important league. People go see the NBA in a lot of cases to see particular players play. There are less numbers on the floor and the superstars can really dictate the game on every play.

In the NFL, it is much easier to plug and play players therefor they have much less power. People also are much more fans of their team instead of certain players

He isn't wrong at all. He is absolutely correct. When one can voice an opinion without looking at both sides of the coin and the systems that are in place the goes back hundreds of years, then you will understand where he and others are coming from. Until then, you and others will never understand.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:28 AM

He is wrong on about everything that spews from his mouth. Racist comment by today’s standards. If we are going to be hyper sensitive then his comments are racist, I just need to understand what the standard is if any sjw can let me know.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:35 AM

When he’s talking about the NFL you know what it sounds like? Its sounds like almost every large company in the world, it’s what working for an employer is and always will be. The only difference is most of us don’t make millions. I know life must be really hard for him.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:32 PM

Exactly. You have to think most of these modern athletes have never really had to work. Certainly they’ve had to put time in to get better at their sports, but they’re doing it for a game they love playing. The ones that make it to the professional level generally weren’t working in high school - they were busy doing AAU and camps so they could make it to the collegiate level. Then they get to college and get their hands held through some pointless degree that they likely don’t even finish due to leaving school early to go make hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars playing a game. I’m sure their ancestors who actually experienced slavery would love to hear this comparison.

Black racist never realize they are racist.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:42 AM

If you view everything in life through a lense of black or white, identifying by skin colour..you are a racist, like it or not.

Lebron IS a racist.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Black racist never realize they are racist.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:08 PM

Black people can NEVER be racist..... Black people can be biased and predjiduce, but never racist. Racism is an economic system, that has been in place for over 500 years.....black people never oppressed nor placed systematic laws to keep a specific race, in this case, black people historically to achieve the american dream. Black people have never been in control of any resources, media, policies nor laws in this country. So please, tell me again, how are black people racist?

Re: Black racist never realize they are racist.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:22 PM

Oh yeah, Black people have never participated in lynch mobs, castrations (physical, socially nor economically), bombed thriving thriving black communities (see Tulsa Oklahoma 1921), interstate highways placed to separate and destroy black communities. It's really easy to make statements against someone who came from nothing and is a global icon that is black, who is speaking out on these very same issues, yet he's supposed to be happy and shut up and just make money. He's using his platform for good and not bad as most on here are implying.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:46 AM

Unlike slavery... they can quit. Walk away. Do another profession. Ohhhhh. That’s right, they’d prefer to drive Ferrari’s, make 10+ million a year then complain it’s not perfect. Pro athletes need to get over themselves. At least the ones with that attitude. Go work a different job and tell me it’s different other than the obscene amount of money they make for playing a SPORT. It’s laughable

Dec 22, 2018, 12:11 PM

Yeah it is a terrible comparison. I agree. Lebron is an amazing person, but he blew it with that comparison. I am a liberal, but that comment is almost as dumb as when people compare Trump to Hitler.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: LeBron is very wrong on one topic in this article ( link) ]

now, this is a very racist and stereotypical comment.... but, go ahead and call lbj a racist.... I'll keep eating my popcorn on this thread

Dec 22, 2018, 11:51 AM

You lost me when you said Lebron.

Re: LeBron- have always admired his commitment to Cleveland

Dec 22, 2018, 12:18 PM

It's on. Its off. It's on. Its off. It's on. Its off. It's on. Its off. Epic attention fiend and self promoter

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bread and circus.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:21 PM

Politics and sports are the circus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bread and circus.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:28 PM

Just state the truth. LeBron is a very talented basketball player. He is not, however, the brightest bulb on the tree or sharpest knife in the drawer. Any one or network who thinks otherwise is the fool who plays too many political correctness games to be taken seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bread and circus.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:48 PM

He mispoke on this issue, but I would venture to say he is very intelligent. He crushes it in the business world too.

He isn’t stupid but he’s not the Socrates he thinks

Dec 22, 2018, 12:57 PM

Re: He isn’t stupid but he’s not the Socrates he thinks

Dec 22, 2018, 1:30 PM

My guess is that he is somewhat intelligent, but didnt make his education a focus and it shows sometimes.

he compares the nfl to slave owners

Dec 22, 2018, 12:28 PM

and slaves...but doesnt mention the sweat shop folk who make his overpriced shoes and clothes

He also doesn’t mention...oh, I don’t know...ALL other businesses in the world.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:40 PM

If I use a platform provided to me by my company to advance a controversial protest I...WILL...BE...FIRED. The company I work for has put too much money, time and energy into developing a brand to watch me then try to leverage that for my own agenda. The NFL is no different. Heck, the NBA is no different. It just has a somewhat different marketing model and client base.

I don’t see LeBron telling my company that they run their business with a slave owner mentality. Weird.

And side note...I don’t watch the NBA, but does LeBron kneel for the anthem? He mentions doing so in the article.

null

Forgot to add, and to your point...

Dec 22, 2018, 12:45 PM

LeBron has endorsement deals with:

Nike
Coca-Cola
Beats by Dre
McDonalds

I would love to hear him chastise Nike for their overseas manufacturing conditions, or McDonalds for their wages. While he’s at it, I’m sure he’ll tell Dre that if any of him employees have causes that they support, he’d better let them voice those while they are on the clock, even if it angers half his customer base, lest he be accused of having a slave owner mentality.

null

Re: Forgot to add, and to your point...

Dec 22, 2018, 12:49 PM

Swarley is obviously an Uncle Tom.

lebron james is an idiot.***

Dec 22, 2018, 1:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lebron james is an idiot.***

Dec 22, 2018, 1:36 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that if you state a liberal leaning thought or ask someone to see both sides, such as on the anthem debate, your pulse is very low on here? This board is dominated by middle aged southern white guys and the loudest opinions show it. If your pulse is low on this board, your either a liberal or considered a troll. It is not very conducive to open discussion and is a key reason why these issues can never advance. The side that typically never has to deal with it in real life denies the problem exist.

This board and website is amazing when keeping up with actual Clemson news, but is the absolute worst when it delves into topics that include social issues, or even race.

Message was edited by: dogunwo

Don't sweat it

Dec 22, 2018, 2:32 PM

This particular board is notoriously toxic when it comes to people going out of their way to make sure their right-wing politics are shoved down everyone's throats. It's filled with senile old white dudes who probably say the N-word a lot.

Don't sweat it. It is what it is. Just read and laugh.

Dec 22, 2018, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: lebron james is an idiot.*** ]

Let me get this straight. If you disagree with atheletes kneeling, disrespecting the American flag/ anthem, you are automatically a middle aged white male? Isn’t that by definition racial profiling? Hey pot meet kettle!

Dec 22, 2018, 3:28 PM

You missed the entire point, which doesn't surprise me.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:33 PM

Noooo, I get your point. I’m just saying it’s irrelevent when it’s hypocritical.

Dec 22, 2018, 4:03 PM

If you think i am being a hypocrite, then no, you don't get it.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:04 PM

Historically slaves worked for no wages, not millions like pro athletes.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic