Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just drove to Mexico and back!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Just drove to Mexico and back!

Jun 17, 2016, 10:45 AM

Just drove all the way from Atlanta to about 9 hours south of the Mexican border and had a great time. The first day we made it from Atlanta to Ft. Worth Texas and stayed in a hotel near the TCU campus off Hulen Street exit. The second day we made it from FT. Worth to Tucson and stayed near the University of Arizona campus. The scenery the second day was magnificent. The third day of driving we crossed the border and made it to my spouse's family's home in Hermosillo, Sonora, the capital of the state of Sonora. Hermosillo is about 4 hours south of the Nogales, Arizona port of entry, which is about one hour south of Tucson. Spent a couple of days in Hermosillo and then travelled four hours further south in Sonora to the town of Navojoa, Sonora, another beautiful town and smaller than Hermosillo. We spent two days there and then went and hour and half south and west to Huatabampo and Huatabambito Beach. We Spent a total of 5 days in Mexico and then returned to the USA and drove all the way back home to Atlanta, where we live near the Georgia Tech campus.

No cartels!!!!, No bad roads, although a lot of road construction due to vast infrastructure improvements going on. Lots of new and modern American franchises, good roads and lots of true, non tourist Mexico. The Mexican people were wonderful as always and they are troopers who make the absolute most of their lives in the face of many economic challenges. But there was no sign of the horrible cartel news that is often seen on the news. Perhaps that goes on in certain pockets of certain states, but it was nowhere to be seen in Sonora.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just drove to Mexico and back!

Jun 17, 2016, 10:56 AM

That is great! We live in Sedona, AZ and have thought many times to head to Rocky Point Beach in Mexico, but have been nervous to do it because of the roads and "crookedness" of cops and such in Mexico. Thanks for the positive review...we just might head to the beach soon.

I have never been to Rocky Point because

Jun 17, 2016, 8:43 PM

we have to go to toward spouse's family which is an equal pleasure, but I've heard its great. You should definitely feel safe there as I have heard that there is a steady stream of visitors from California and Arizona on the road to Rocky Point. I think you may go into a different border crossing from where you are to get there, but in case you go through Nogales, here are some helpful hints.

We got off on exit 4 which is about 2 miles before the Mexican border. That is where we bought our Mexican car insurance. We used Sanborn's and they had an office off of the lobby of the Holiday Inn express. You need to get it because your USA insurance will not cover you beyond a certain 20-mile zone if that. And if your current insurance covers you for collision, it will not be accepted for liability in Mexico. The price will vary depending on the vehicle and the number of days there. It could be anywhere from $50 to $130 for the entire visit. There are also plenty of places to exchange dollars for pesos there. I was dreading all of this, but it took a total of about 30 minutes to get the insurance and then go get some pesos. I'm sure they have places all over southern Arizona and Nogales, Arizona, but this stop on exit 4 was literally all in one parking area and the exit was very neat and clean.

Here are some driving tips from our insurance brochure:

1. Don't drive at night: Avoid driving at night. Loose livestock, wild animals, poor lit roads, lack of shoulders can make it dangerous. My opinion of this tip was we had to drive at night and had no problems. Occasionally, a cow or two were really close to the road. Do be aware of the lack of shoulders in places. That is very important. Other than that I-19 in the USA became I-15 in Mexico and there wasn't that much difference.

2. Remember the speed limit is in Kilometers. Most cars have Kilometers on their speedometer in smaller numbers beneath the larger numbers. I had no problem with this.

3. Have some pesos on hand as you will need them on the toll roads. We drove 9 hours down and encountered about five toll booths in total. The tolls ranged from 25 pesos to 125 pesos. I would say they averaged 60 pesos. That amounts to about $3.61 cents.

4. The gas will be at Pemex. It is the only gas station they have. It is nationalized. The stations are neat and clean and you must take full service, meaning someone will pump your gas. They will be in uniform and they all looked very neat and professional. You will not be allowed to self-serve.

5.WATCH for TOPES: Topes are speed bumps. They can be big or small and will come without warning. They usually appear as you are approaching a new town. Look for the car in front of you breaking, or forgetting to and taking a little shock absorber action. Either way, that will let you know there is a topes. It really will not be a problem.

6.Angeles Verdes (Green Angels) Fortunately, we didn't need the Green Angels, but if you have a mechanical emergency, Mexico's tourism department offers, mechanical road assistance to you free of charge by dialing 078. I guess this is like our HERO units here in Atlanta.

I would love to go to Rocky Point. We were planning to go to Keno Beach, where a niece of my spouse has purchased a lot, but we just didn't have time. One of the days in Hermosillo, we had to take my father-in-law to a doctor's appointment he had scheduled.

Not sure if you have to register your vehicle at "Only Sonora" stop, as you may not have to depending on where you go. I did register mine. Also, I got a tourist visa at the border and paid $24, not sure if everyone has to do that.

Lastly, I visited Sedona, Arizona in the late 80's. It must be amazing to live in one of the most beautiful places in the country!!!

Also, you might want to keep some peso coins in the front compartment as you will encounter many men, women, and children of all ages at red lights and stops. They will sell anything from things you can really use like sun-visors, or fruits and gums, to wanting to wash your windows. If you give them a five peso piece or so they are happy. It probably amounts to pennies and nickels you are giving them, but they really need it and you'll feel better. They actually work hard doing this and they are all friendly, even if you don't give them anything. Nobody was pushy. I gave a few a couple of coins to not wash my windshield. Many of them are young kids, or in family groups selling food. Its not threatening, but rather just part of the flavor of the trip.

If you go, have a great time.
Go Tigers!!!

Jun 17, 2016, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Just drove to Mexico and back! ]

Tigergirl98, Check your tmail

Is that you, Trump?

nm

I went to Taco Bell last night.

The folks working in there were,well,..........South Carolina Alumni.

Put the fence up around that Taco Bell !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WOW!***

Jun 17, 2016, 11:03 AM

No one should ever leave the US.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:04 AM

In fact, you should probably never leave your state. Too dangerous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

stay in the bird cage- or live life????***

Jun 17, 2016, 11:18 AM

had to check.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:45 PM [ in reply to No one should ever leave the US. ]

That was a very lightbulbbillish thing to say.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

But did you leave you wallet in El Segundo?

Jun 17, 2016, 8:52 PM

https://youtu.be/WILyWmT2A-Q

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is too funny. I had never seen that. The landscape

Jun 17, 2016, 9:52 PM

sure looks familiar. Thank goodness, my wallet and passport were with me when I got back to the border and headed to Atlanta. That song is hilarious.

what was the boarder crossing like***

Jun 17, 2016, 8:53 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The border crossing is very interesting to me. I say to me

Jun 18, 2016, 11:45 AM

because I am the type that makes it interesting in my head. I look at houses, trees, etc and say to myself, "wow, this is literally the last tree, house, or patch of ground in the United States. The crossing at the Nogales port of entry is in the middle of the towns of Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora. You are driving south on I-19 and then you find yourself in the middle of Nogales, Arizona. You turn a couple of curves and suddenly there is a port of entry, with a fence/wall extending from either side. You are going into Mexico at this point, so you see only Border officers for the Mexican government. There was no wait going into Mexico. They flagged us in and I assume we could have simply kept on driving through Nogales, Sonora and into Mexico. But I knew that a vehicle check in station was 21 miles later, I wanted to get out and make sure I wasn't forgetting to take care of any business at entry. So, we got out and went into immigration office where I got a tourist visa for $24. As I said, I registered the vehicle at Only Sonora about 21 miles later.

The difference between the United States and Mexico's standard of living and culture is evident immediately upon crossing. I mean it is really immediate and stunning in the differences in houses, etc. although Nogales, Sonora looked much better than it looked back in 2003 when I was last there. So did all of Mexico for that matter. I think we go through another check point down the road a few miles where they check our papers and then we are on our way. On our trip out west, our first glimpse of Mexico is not at Nogales, but rather in El Paso, Texas. When driving through El Paso on I-10, Mexico is literally on one side of the interstate and the United States is on the other. You can look over and see houses and cars that are in Mexico at that point, but we don't enter there. We drive through New Mexico and Arizona and enter the next day at Nogales. By the way the Sun Bowl is right beside the interstate 10 in El Paso as is the Independence Bowl right beside Interstate-20 in Shreveport which is also along the way.

At the port of entry returning to the United States, there is more scrutiny. We arrived at the border pretty late in the evening and the wait was about 1 hour in the car lanes. I imagine it would have been longer had it been earlier in the day. At this point, you are dealing with only U.S. Border patrol officers. He is in a booth like a toll booth. Some cars get flagged to pull over to the inspection station to the right and others do not. In 2003, I got flagged, this time I did not. At the inspection station a dog will make his way around your car and several patrol officers will look around the car, while one asks you some simple questions. As I said, this time we did not get flagged so out experience was the following:

Border officer looks into the car and says are you U.S. citizens? I said I am and she is a permanent resident greed card holder. He asks for my passport and looks it over. He takes her green card and looks it over carefully, then scans it into a computer that verifies its authenticity and documents her return to the United States. While holding a green card, but not yet a citizen, she is not supposed to leave the U.S. for longer than 6 months at a time. So this scanning was very important. At the beginning of asking for our documents, he tells me to lower my back seat window please. I do so and he takes a flashlight and looks into the backseat. He then returns to the front window and asks the following:

1. What was the purpose of your visit to Mexico?
2. Where did you go?
3. How far down there is that? (knows the answer to this, but just checking to see if I do)
4. What do you do for a living in the U.S.
5. Is this your vehicle?
6. How long have you been down there? ( he knows this also because he is looking at my tourist visa)
Interesting to note that many, many of the U.S. Border officers are U.S. born Hispanics. The officers are young and fit for the most part. I would say most are in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

Then looks at my wife and asks the following:
1. Where does your family live?
2. What do you do for a living in the United States?

Then he says, OK, you guys are good, have a nice trip. The mechanical arm raises, we drive through and just like that, we are back in the USA. Yes, I'm 53 years old and yes, my mom and dad still expected texts and phone calls along the way. I guess you're always their kid no matter how old. I can tell you there was one happy 75-year-old woman in South Carolina when the text said we are back in the USA, staying in Nogales, Arizona tonight. To her, as long as it was even one inch this side of the fence, she was good to go. She really had nothing to worry about, but try and convince her of that.

The actual border is a magical part of the trip in my eyes to see the US flag flying high (although at half-staff on this particular evening due to the Orlando tragedy that happened earlier that morning). and the Mexican flag flying high on the other side. To a lot of people it wouldn't be a big deal, but that kind of thing turns me on.

There are additional checkpoints after the border. One is along I-19 between Nogales and Tucson where they asked to see proof of citizenship (passport) and wife's greencard. It was really quick. Then there is another along I-10 in the New Mexico and Texas state border area. I guess these are just to make sure someone didn't slip through the cracks.
Here are some internet pics of the border, though it looks better in person. And I didn't see the magic or flags and people in the first couple of pics I looked at. But they give you some idea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port+of+entry+nogales+arizona&biw=1366&bih=603&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz-oOo87HNAhUSL1IKHWsQCFUQ_AUICCgD

cool - thanks***

Jun 18, 2016, 2:21 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they make these things called airplanes...

Jun 17, 2016, 8:55 PM

seriously tho - cool adventure. I like cabo and am a fan of the people in that area

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2016, 10:01 PM

Much different experience than I had in Mexico City. first we were mugged by cop that pointed a machine gun in the driver side and forced us to cough up all of her cash. fortunately most of my cash was in my shoe which I was told my friend to do. then I made The mistake of opening up a can of Coke and drink it with a couple of ice cubes in a restaurant and got Deathly ill. We were there in the summer and it was so hot I thought I was going to freaking melt. The interstates in Mexico City is something out oF the movie Independence Day. it was just absolute chaos getting around the city. I also visited Puebla, which was very nice . three hour business lunches with margaritas would be easy to get used to

Cool.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:13 PM

Dad and I made a similar trip but on a charitable mission to Neuvo Laredo back in the ninetees.They where A LIL crooked on there side of the border ,but I guess its there way of life.Was so much fun though ,and would do it again if Dad was still around.We rode through Mexico in a Rv!

Pretty cool.

Jun 18, 2016, 10:32 AM

My Grandmother has passed and my Grandfather turns 90 this week. 15 years ago they took their RV all through Mexico with their cat. That was pretty bold and brave of them in hindsight. Anyway, I am happy for you that you have that memory with your Dad. Pretty cool man.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:48 PM

That's awesome. Sounds better than home. We're gonna miss you.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:55 PM

I'm sorry. That probably came off as crass. Guess I just can't comprehend whole folks risk drowning crossing the rio grande the leave such a glorious utopia. It sounds so great. Glad you had a good time.

As I mentioned in the original post, the Mexican people

Jun 18, 2016, 10:06 AM

persevere in spite of serious economic challenges. I never meant to indicate they live in a utopia. I think we all know that is not the case. The ones that come to the United States come to work hard to provide for a better life for family members back home. Many come across the Rio and brave the desert to do so. Many are undocumented, but that is another story to talk about in another thread. Many are legal, such as my wife, who has a green card and will be completing citizenship beginning in December.

One of the victims of the Orlando shooting was working legally in the USA and buying a home for his mom in Mexico. Now she waits for his body to be returned to her. My spouse's sisters husband was robbed and killed in Atlanta in 2003. He was checking the oil on his van in front of their apartment in a parking lot full of cars. It was about 8 in the evening. Three young men drove up robbed him of a cell phone and his wallet, and shot him in the abdomen for good measure. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, leaving behind a wife and two young children. Still, they don't blame the whole country. Nobody loves and appreciates this country more than my wife's family. But just because you say good things about either country, any idiot knows that neither country is being hailed as a utopia. Well, almost any idiot.

I almost forgot. The perpetrators of the offense in Atlanta

Jun 18, 2016, 10:10 AM

received a 15-year sentence! How does that happen. Since that was 2003, I guess they are about to be back on the streets of Atlanta. They probably already are since I doubt they had to serve the full sentence. I hope they don't need a cell phone or some money.

Jun 18, 2016, 12:48 AM

Did you see any TCU Showgirls? ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2016, 12:56 AM

Glad you enjoyed your trip... Sadly though, Mexico is gonna Mexico. It's like the rainforests of India... You might hike for days and never see a tiger, but you should always remind yourself that they're there.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/22-arrested-2-dead-sonora-gunfight/

Wow, that is pretty bad. Not as bad as an entire family

Jun 18, 2016, 9:51 AM

wiped out in Ohio, or the Orlando, Aurora, and Santa Barbara disasters, or Chicago on a typical week, but it is still bad. Glad I didn't come across anything like that.

we still need a wall. Their dump, is their problem. TRUMP2016.***

Jun 18, 2016, 9:59 AM

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic