Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just announced..FB Big Wheels & Presidents/AD’s ready to discuss 8 Team Playoff!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Just announced..FB Big Wheels & Presidents/AD’s ready to discuss 8 Team Playoff!

Dec 12, 2018, 3:33 PM

Should get interesting..even though the 4 Team Playoff Schedule is only half-way thru its contract.

Seens UCF people are pushing this scenario.

As Barret Sallee of CBS Sports said: “It should be Excellence first vs Accessibility second” and why more than present 4 if that’s the criteria. .or maybe 6.

I like 6.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam

Dec 12, 2018, 3:35 PM

time for these student athletes. They may look at getting rid of the conference championship games, which I wouldn't like.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam

Dec 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Doubt they'd get rid of those games. They'd likely just get rid of one of the FCS or Cupcake games, as that seems to be what people complain about the most across all conferences.

For instance, if it were to begin next season, Clemson would be dropping either Wofford or Charlotte in favor of an extra game free.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 4:05 PM

Clemson has to play 2 in state teams a year so we would still be required to play Wofford, Furman, CSU, The Citadel, SC State etc. Oh or that Columbia college that always thinks their good until they actually have to play. So I would expect Ga st, Charlotte those kinds of things to be dropped.

Dec 12, 2018, 4:15 PM

I'm not sure they are REQUIRED to as much as they tend to "like" to. The only protected rivalries out of conference/division are Georgia Tech and South Carolina. It would make more sense to cut FBS-G5 school as the payouts are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than paying an in-state school. Theres caveats to cutting G5 teams from the schedule, though, because of the whole "they played nobody" crap. It would get even worse if your 2nd out of conference game was an FCS school.

Dec 13, 2018, 1:20 AM

I don’t think we are required, I think Clemson and Carolina plan to play two fcs schools and it’s more like common sense to help smaller instate schools

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 13, 2018, 1:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam ]

I don’t think we are required, I think Clemson and Carolina plan to play two fcs schools and it’s more like common sense to help smaller instate schools

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

There is no requirement that we play 2 state schools

Dec 12, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam ]

Or any combination of FCS or G5’s out of conference. The problem is if we don’t then we have to give up a 7th home game which we have been adamantly against along with a lot of other schools due to $.

Changes to format could have a real negative effect on what is currently a great non-conf schedule through early 2030’s

FCS schools have been making it work for decades...

Dec 12, 2018, 3:44 PM [ in reply to I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam ]

and they have a 24 team playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

why are exams in FBS more important than FCS?

Dec 12, 2018, 3:44 PM [ in reply to I don't see how they are going to make this work during exam ]

FCS has had 16 teams for years.

The best 8 team playoff scenario that makes some sense...

1. Do away w Divisions in Conferences
2. Do away w Conference Champ game but replace with a qtr final game at former conf Champ site and keep on same conf affiliated networks. Keeps revenue coming to conf.
3. Top 4 Seed host qtr final at site of respective conference. Example WVU vs Clemson in Charlotte.
4. Winners advance into current semi final format.

Made sense when I heard it and it protects the Conference “Champ” game by allowing the revenue to come host conf and keeps 12 game season intact.

There is no way to fairly award a conf

Dec 12, 2018, 4:21 PM

Championship with 14 teams without divisions. The schedules would vary way to widely.

Herbie was lobbying for this...all that UGA talk

Dec 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

In my opinion, they will need to eliminate a game or two for this to work. These are student athletes after all, and the season will be too long.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Just announced..FB Big Wheels & Presidents/AD’s ready to discuss 8 Team Playoff!

Dec 12, 2018, 3:51 PM

I am all for an expanded playoff, for various reasons. But - I feel all this will lead to is 2-3 SEC teams in every single year. Because "eye test".

Re: Just announced..FB Big Wheels & Presidents/AD’s ready to discuss 8 Team Playoff!

Dec 12, 2018, 3:54 PM

That wouldn’t bother me at all....

We can finally watch them play the quality teams from other conferences and get exposed

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Just announced..FB Big Wheels & Presidents/AD’s ready to discuss 8 Team Playoff! ]

They try to get 2 of the 4 teams now, if and when it goes to 8 they will push fo4 3-4 teams going.

Put the Champions of the top 5 conferences in and then

Dec 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

three at large. Notwodame would be an at-large.

Tiger/Terrier

No, this is just BIG10 AD's & PAC12 AD's,along w/ UCF

Dec 12, 2018, 4:42 PM

crying because their teams couldn't perform.

Nothing to see here.

Re: No, this is just BIG10 AD's & PAC12 AD's,along w/ UCF

Dec 12, 2018, 4:58 PM

and GEORGIA!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, this is just BIG10 AD's & PAC12 AD's,along w/ UCF

Dec 12, 2018, 7:48 PM

Yea, truth be told - this decision is less about UCF, more about UGA.

Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 PM

I say not before CFU forfeits their National Championship from last year.

Dec 12, 2018, 7:08 PM

So Kirk and ESPN just won't let it go - huh? What a bunch of whiny babies. 4 is plenty, but all 4 must win their CC game, and if they don't play in a conference, then they need to shut up already.

should be 6 teams..first round should have been this week

Dec 12, 2018, 7:15 PM

second round the 29th then the finals...i wouldnt do it last week because army vs navy deserve their own day all to themselves

Dec 12, 2018, 11:03 PM

This will make college ball like pro ball. You can rest your starters late in the season because you can still get in with two losses.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic