Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Judge Keller, what are your expectations for next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Judge Keller, what are your expectations for next year?

Apr 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

I admit that I am not a diehard BB fan so maybe I am part of the problem. I am a casual fan and like anything Clemson, and so I might be a good representative of the average person in relationship to basketball.

You appear to keep up with our team better than most, so I am curious as to how you think we will do next year. It appears to me that we are likely in for a poor season, but you are more familiar with what we will have than myself. With just a little bit of orange tint to the glasses, what is our record and where do we finish in the conference?

I ask this because I do not think people would be nearly as negative if they felt that we were improving as a program. Most people probably think that last year's team underachieved despite a 20-win season. Even more, probably expect for us to be worse next year. Are we expected to give Coach Brownell time to rebuild into a bubble team or are we underestimating what we will have next year?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judge Keller, what are your expectations for next year?

Apr 16, 2019, 8:00 PM

This is one of two kinds of questions:

1. You really want his opinion, but have missed the numerous posts he has discussed the team and next season.
2. Trying to elicit a response that will result in an argument with those that disagree.

Which one?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 8:02 PM

Imma go with coot troll

Apr 16, 2019, 8:05 PM

What kinda odds we talkin here??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Judge Keller, what are your expectations for next year? ]

Since you are a lost local, how far back to you go? Did you ever go to Spittoono when it was at Esso. That was when it was a dive, back before Musburger raved about it, and gave it some legitimacy. Bet what you want, but my bet is that I go further back around here than you.

Apr 16, 2019, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Judge Keller, what are your expectations for next year? ]

I have seen numerous posts by him with respect to the last couple of years but have missed anything that he has posted regarding next year. I do not doubt that he has posted on it, but I have not seen it. As I said at the end I am curious if he is expecting a respectable year next year or if he believes that Brownell warrants more time. I do not believe that he deserves more time if next year does not show promise. Do you?

I am not trying engage in an argument, but a discussion. I am not trying to be disrespectful.

Apr 16, 2019, 9:05 PM

What is your definition of a respectable year? Guessing better than a 20 win season since that has been given for two years in a row. You are asking if he deserves more time if he doesn’t have a respectable season? Who cares what I think or anyone else if there is no definition of respectable.

I did not ask if you were posing the question to argue. I questioned of your post was to elicit conflict from posters that are known to disagree.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:29 PM

I understand that we will be young next year, and so I do not think that Coach Brownell needs to get to 20 wins to feel like it was a small step back before moving forward. I would say that respectable would be 18 wins with 7 or 8 being in conference if it is an 18 game schedule, like I think that I read. I believe that some of it depends on how we start vs ow we finish. If we get better as the year goes on and there is optimism for the 20-21 season then maybe we don't need to get to that point.

I keep hearing that Clemson fans will not support the team. Though I don't think there are a large number of diehard basketball fans, like Judge Keller and maybe yourself, but fans will get on the bandwagon. There was a time that Littlejohn was considered a tough place to play. I remember students camping out for tickets for a top 5 matchup with Tim Duncan's Wake Forest team.

I am not trying to hide the fact that I think it is time for a change. At the same time, I am not jumping up and down saying that you are wrong. The thing for me is most of the reasons that I have heard to keep Brownell are arguing that he has done a good job considering the conditions. I am looking more for hope that the future can be good on the court. Coach Brownell has done a great job with the team off the court and in the classroom, but if that is the goal then we can save some money and hire a professor.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:50 PM

I’m just a Clemson fan with an opinion. Not one that I think others have to agree with. I look at the history and compare to the present and know we are about where we have always been at our almost best. When I compare that to the identity of our institution and what others are willing to compromise, I’m ok with our trajectory. Do I love where we are holistically as a program? Hell no! I want to beat UVA, Carolina, Duke, etc, but I know it’s about more than a coach. A moral coach that has done more for our program in total, in decades.

So I say, let’s do the best for Clemson, with or without Brad, But let’s be honest, it’s more than just about a coach. There are a few more other factors that contribute to the success of any collegiate program.

Apr 16, 2019, 11:40 PM

I agree that it is more than about a coach, but right now we are in a rare position where our success in football should allow us the funds to try to improve the basketball program. I am not saying that necessarily needs to mean head coach. More money on support staff and programs may have better returns than a new coach. Is the athletic department looking at increasing funding?

The last thing that I want is to be satisfied with a middle of the road program. We may be that more often than not, but I want us to strive to be great. Naturally that occurs on an individual basis, but I would like to see it as a program. We will not always have the windfall that we do at the moment in the athletic department. If we do not try to make a push with the basketball program now, then it seems to me that we just given up.

Doesn't matter to the Judge. As long as Clemson doesn't

Apr 16, 2019, 8:04 PM

spend in the upper half of the ACC, Brad gets a pass from the Judge. From his way of thinking, we spend 2nd to last in the ACC so as long as Brad finishes better than 14th he's a bargain. See how that works?

Re: Doesn't matter to the Judge. As long as Clemson doesn't

Apr 16, 2019, 8:06 PM

Thinking. A novel thought you ought to consider. Coot.

Apr 16, 2019, 8:14 PM

Are you people going to keep this crap going until next season? We have a baseball game today and our football team is practicing so surely there are more things to discuss besides something that has even beat to death and the coaching situation is not going to change.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Apr 16, 2019, 8:50 PM

I’m curious to know Judge’s answer to this as well. Is the expectation NIT or NCAA tournament next season?

Apr 16, 2019, 9:11 PM

T-mail him.

Why would you be “part of the problem” ???***

Apr 16, 2019, 9:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Short answer: I don’t know yet.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:10 PM

I have concerns about the production we are losing. I am interested to see who steps up. I like our young talent, but am not sure some of those guys are ready to be consistent performers. We need a grad transfer or two, and I think we will be pleased with who we get. We need good production from him/them.

We are also in it for 2019 high school recruit and 3 star PF Issa Muhammad from Atlanta. He has offers from us, GT, Wake, Florida, and others. He probably isn’t an instant impact kind of guy, but certainly talented and would get to compete for minutes as a freshman given our recent losses (Thomas, White, and William).

With what we have now, I would be thrilled with an NIT bid next year. Finishing in the top 10 in the ACC would be an accomplishment. Making the NCAAs would perhaps be the best coaching job we’ve ever seen at Clemson. I don’t expect that at this point.

I want to reserve judgment until I see what our roster looks like. A lot can happen between now and November with regard to transfers, plus we need to see how our incoming freshmen do. For those reasons, I don’t think it’s reasonable for people here to already declare next year a failure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Short answer: I don’t know yet.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:29 PM

Great answer Judge - thanks !! And as usual - way more info than I already knew.......,

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Apr 16, 2019, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Short answer: I don’t know yet. ]

Only in America can it be your tenth year at a job, and yet people don’t know what you’re product will look like. However you’re still going to make several million dollars for said year.

Hope it turns out well and I went into the WRONG business.

Apr 16, 2019, 10:55 PM

Capable and went are not synonymous.

Apr 17, 2019, 12:36 AM

I’ll break it down this way. I’ve got two businesses and both have internal and external salesman. If they’re not producing then it’s a lose/lose situation. They’re not making money which means they’re not going to hang around. The company is not making money so they’re going to be replaced.

I’ve got one lady who just started 3 months ago and has low numbers. But.......she is networking like a son of a gun and in 6-9 months will blow by most everyone else. Everyone knows she’s a fighter and sees her determination.

When I look at sports I view it through the prism of business, and in reality it’s BIG business. In the business world, you sink or swim by year three. Brad is in year 10 and even Judge said he didn’t know what to expect next year.

In regards to funding and support..... a buddy of mine got out of college (no money) and started a pest control company. He went door to door and just hammered it. At his 5 yr anniversary he sold the company for 4 million.

People have to see:
- fire in someone
- belief in their product or service
- a vision
- clear, precise goals
- deadlines to reach those goals
- servants heart to others

Apr 22, 2019, 6:43 PM

Your sales analogy and this lady. Does she have control of the market as related to the product? The customers decision timing and deliverables timeline? Control of the product quality, lead time and cost?

All of these things are tangible drivers that affect success just like budget, conference competition, culture and talent. None of which one person can control.

I don’t disagree that all of your bullets are necessary. However, vision and goals on paper don’t put butts in the seats without a heck of a lot of other stuff lining up just right.

Apr 16, 2019, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Short answer: I don’t know yet. ]

Thanks for the answer. I am not declaring next year to be a failure, but I believe that it will be a big uphill battle. I agree that the NIT and 10th in the ACC would be a good year considering the youth. I don't think it will be enough to garner the fan support that you hope for, but I do think that it would be enough that people would be watching the 20-21 season to see if they wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

I am not trying to say that Brownell has an easy job or that anybody would do better. I just want to feel like we are moving in the right direction. I was not trying to call you out. I just had seen several posts relating to the last couple of years, but had not seen much regarding the future. I am not a diehard basketball fan, I am pessimistic, but would like nothing more than to be wrong and jump on the bandwagon.

I guess that I should be hopeful considering my track record. I hated the Dabo hire and now enjoy year round how wrong that I was.

Recruiting isn't part of 'best coaching job'?***

Apr 22, 2019, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Short answer: I don’t know yet. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judge Keller, what are your expectatins for next year?

Apr 17, 2019, 5:24 AM

I read Judge's response and it is a good one. I do know that if it goes poorly he will blame the fans and the administration. That said, I think next year will be better than people think.

If we land a couple of impact grad transfers

Apr 17, 2019, 8:49 AM

the roster as it stands now is a gigantic question mark. No one, known commodity

Re: If we land a couple of impact grad transfers

Apr 17, 2019, 9:09 AM

Exactly. I am look forward to next season and seeing what we have. It could be a pleasant surprise.

Apr 17, 2019, 9:16 AM

I will give my opinion on the state of the basketball team since a lot of people on here have deemed me as a "pumper" as well.

This season was incredibly frustrating. Expectations prior to the season were higher than probably any season of my lifetime (I'm 30). We caught some bad breaks, didn't perform during crunch time, and obviously choked quite a few times.

Shelton Mitchell wasn't healthy all season and it showed. There were times he could take over games with his driving to the basket and he didn't have that this year. Also, we had some injuries during the hardest part of our non-conference schedule.

But for the most part, we beat the teams we were more talented than, and lost to the teams that clearly had more talent. Frustrating for sure.

Now going forward....

I am actually pretty excited with what we have returning and what we have coming in. I think Trapp and Simms are going to be very good for the next two years. Simms needs to work on his inside game, and Trapp needs to work on his shooting and ball handling. Trapp is the most athletic guard we have had in quite some time. Brownell has been good at player development so I have full confidence that they will improve considerably. I am also high on Newman and Tyson. They both have size, can shoot, and are athletic. From everything that I have heard Baehre is going to be a stud. Also Jemison is going to be a beast. He was a freshman this year and he was injured and unable to practice until the season started. That is why he was so raw this year. Brownell said that he has started to come on recently and I think that is why White and William transferred.

I think that NIT next year and NCAA the year after are realistic expectations. If we don't make the tourney in the next two years, I think that it's time to start looking in another direction.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2019, 9:43 AM

So, I think next years team will be "dangerous" but at the same time inconstant. An inverse of this past year where we were consistently "safe".

So what will need to happen:

1. First and foremost, would be perimeter defense. Not perimeter shooting, we need to fix our D. We can't be last in ACC again. That lack of perimeter D shows up late in games... and it cost us. We fix this and all of a sudden our 3 shooting woes become a lot less of a liability.

Ironically, we defended inside the paint well with the 5th best D in conference overall with %... you could just shoot over us.

2. Offensive production options. Wichita State's summary of "reason' they won in the NIT against us was "proper scouting" of Reed. We need 3 potential scorers. 3pt shooters would be better, but I would take anything but we need to be able to shift to load so if a team invest in stopping one scorer, we can punish them with another.

3. Either to be a more dangerous 3pt threat OR fewer turnovers. This is still points per possession items but we can't be 32% from 3 and 11th in the ACC for turnovers margin.

4. Injury bug luck. Reed/Mitchell were not 100% and we were still a 20 win team and .500 in conference. The injury bug hit us in 17-18 too.

I expect us to be 18-13 and 8-10 in league play. Anything better would be amazing but this will be a younger team. Maybe the transfer portal can gift us 1-2 scorers and then it would be a 20-22 win team while our young guys mature.

Finally perspective. We were last in 3 defense, 11th in 3pt %, 11th in turnovers, 12 for turnover/assists, and 12 in scoring.... and we finished 9th/.500 in conference and was a shot or two from being 6th or better. So I still have some faith that Brad can make a weak team perform 3+ wins in conference better than expected.

Apr 22, 2019, 2:47 PM

First off, 2019-2020 is the first year of ACC schools playing 20 conference games.
Clemson has home and away against FSU, GT, L'ville, NCST, VT, Wake
Home - Duke, Miami, ND, Syr
Away - BC, UNC, Pitt, UVA

anything over .500 should be considered a success. Clemson is losing more production than alot of teams in the ACC with 4 of its 5 starters leaving and its primary backup at C. No team got nearly as many min from its SR as Clemson did last season (66.1% - 2nd was FSU with 49.6%). Clemson does not return a single player who avg more than 7 ppg in ACC games and only returns 2 players who avg more than 2 ppg (Simms and Trapp).

I wouldn't hype up Baehre too much until he is seen on the court. He is a stretch 4 type - takes about 1/3 of his shots from 3. Had 10 double figure scoring games in his career at UNC-A and 3 double figure rebounding games.

With a team that is going to have to rely on FR and SO alot, that has major rebuild written all over it.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic