Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Undefeated Football Teams, 2018 Season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Undefeated Football Teams, 2018 Season

Jan 29, 2019, 12:14 PM

Sometime earlier there was a discussion re the number of football teams in the P5 conferences who would be undefeated at the end of the season. Without checking records for the last several years to confirm my comment, I don't recall there ever being more than two or three. This year there were three and all three were in the four team playoff------- No. 1 Alabama 14 - 0, No. 2 Clemson 14 - 0 and No. 3 Notre Dame 13 - 0. As we are all aware. our Tigers defeated both Notre Dame and Alabama and at 15 - 0 was the only 2018 P5 conferences undefeated team.

That puts our Tigers in rare company plus the fact we are the only team to have a 15 game winning season since 1897, a span of 121 years.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Undefeated Football Teams, 2018 Season

Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 PM

Thank you for your service!! Sir

It’s because BEST is our standard!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Joe21

Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 PM

What was it like going to class with Hunter Renfrow back in the day?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe21

Jan 29, 2019, 1:41 PM

Hunter was probably an upperclassman to Joe21, so the relationship was probably pretty rough

Re: Joe21

Jan 29, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Joe21 ]

I first met Hunter when he was just a young kid and I immediately saw the potential as a pass catcher. I mentioned to John Heisman, the head coach at Clemson, that he should look at this kid and maybe offer as a walk-on. Heisman went over to Myrtle Beach, a small village on the coast and found Hunter and his Dad, There was a nearby swamp with lots of turtles. Hunter's Dad would throw a turtle to Hunter as he ran back and forth across a sandy spot. To make a long story short, Heisman was impressed but wondered how he was going to convert Hunter's talent from catching turtles to catching a football. Heisman took Hunter back to Clemson along with a No. 3 galvanized wash tub full of turtles, he thought the turtles would keep Hunter from getting homesick.

Heisman told Hunter to think of the football as a turtle. Hunter was good at catching the ball but he had not yet learned the finer points about the game of football, After Heisman left the Tigers for the Yellow Bellied Bumblebees, along came other coaches, Cody, Neely, Howard, Pell, Ford. Bowden and a few others. Hunter was progressing under the tutoring of all these coaches but had not yet mastered all the nuances of the game.

Finally, an unknown, unproven and much maligned lad with the strange name of Dabo, was forced to acceopt the job as head coach at Clemson because no one else wanted the job. Hunter was gradually improving his stock and finally, four years ago, Dabo decided a guy that would hang around Clemson for over 100 years was definitely "All In". Hunter's first practice was not going well. He just could not catch the ball. One day in a staff meeting the story came up about his being very adept at catching turtles. Dabo and his staff huddled and after a short discussion they came up with a sure-fire solution. Every time a pass was thrown to Hunter, one of the graduate assistants was to holler, "It's a turtle" and thereafter Hunter caught every thing thrown in his zip code. I doubt if any of you realizew that at every game when a pass is thrown to Hunter, there was someone on the Clemson sideline hollering, "It's a turtle".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best ageless Hunter story of them all.***

Jan 30, 2019, 9:27 AM

Re: Undefeated Football Teams, 2018 Season

Jan 30, 2019, 4:42 AM

Joe21® said:

Sometime earlier there was a discussion re the number of football teams in the P5 conferences who would be undefeated at the end of the season. Without checking records for the last several years to confirm my comment, I don't recall there ever being more than two or three. This year there were three and all three were in the four team playoff------- No. 1 Alabama 14 - 0, No. 2 Clemson 14 - 0 and No. 3 Notre Dame 13 - 0. As we are all aware. our Tigers defeated both Notre Dame and Alabama and at 15 - 0 was the only 2018 P5 conferences undefeated team.

That puts our Tigers in rare company plus the fact we are the only team to have a 15 game winning season since 1897, a span of 121 years.

Great post. Beating the other two undefeated teams, in my opinion, just confirms the greatness of this team.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic