Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've never really understood why coaches yell at players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

I've never really understood why coaches yell at players

Oct 15, 2019, 1:40 PM

and why people think that is ok and a good thing. I had a boss one time that thought it was ok to do this. It's funny to hear people say things like "back in my day my coach used to slap me and call me an SOB"....

This mentality just seems very backward, barbaric, and unnecessary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never really understood why coaches yell at players

Oct 15, 2019, 1:42 PM

Your panties are showing!

You need to grow a pair.***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:42 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to grow a pair.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:57 PM

You would think in this day and age everyone would have a pair

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to grow a pair.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:47 PM

Why waste a pair?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or not***

Oct 15, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: You need to grow a pair. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's waiting on them to drop***

Oct 15, 2019, 8:33 PM [ in reply to You need to grow a pair.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its about being hard nosed and mentally tough

Oct 15, 2019, 1:43 PM

Why do drill sgts yell at troops? So they will be ready in the intense moments. Keep your cool and focus.

You want Tommy Bowden to come back and quiver his lip at the team and lose 2 games we’re supposed win every year ?

I’m glad I played ball and got chewed out. No boss is going to take me off my game by yelling. Toughen up Nancy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^Exactly^

Oct 15, 2019, 1:45 PM

OP has obviously never played football or been in the military.

I love competing with soft people like him in my career

Oct 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

Crush them every time. People like that have no idea what it takes to compete on the highest level.

Re: I love competing with soft people like him in my career

Oct 15, 2019, 1:51 PM

Oh so you're one of those guys that thinks yelling and talking loud makes you tough?

You're probably as soft as they come.

Coming from the guy that doesn’t understand why coaches

Oct 15, 2019, 1:54 PM

Yell at players. Keep trolling Moran

Re: ^Exactly^

Oct 15, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to ^Exactly^ ]

Played from the time I was 5 years old through high school.

I only had one coach that I remember that would berate players and he was clearly doing it for show.

or had a parent***

Oct 17, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to ^Exactly^ ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Buzz Paw

Oct 15, 2019, 1:43 PM

found him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Him and Jr. Would have a lot of fun...***

Oct 15, 2019, 3:00 PM

Oct 15, 2019, 1:44 PM

Maybe you’re right. While they’re at it, they should do away with tackling and keeping score too.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:46 PM

I believe Tincup nay fit into the Millennial category.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

No he’s someone that’s a fan of another school over here running his mouth keeping this ignorant narrative running

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Agree, bad look & behavior for Dabo on national TV & player didn't deserve that repeated rant!

Oct 15, 2019, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I've never really understood why coaches yell at players ]

My 2 cents..but i will say if he did that to my Boy, he would hear from me!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football is an intense and emotional game. It’s a part of

Oct 15, 2019, 1:50 PM

Game and always will be

Nothing to get your feelings hurt over. Man up and play the next play

Re: Agree, bad look & behavior for Dabo on national TV & player didn't deserve that repeated rant!

Oct 15, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Agree, bad look & behavior for Dabo on national TV & player didn't deserve that repeated rant! ]

And Dabo would rightly tell you to pound sand.

I didn’t realize you were that soft Bill.

Oct 15, 2019, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Agree, bad look & behavior for Dabo on national TV & player didn't deserve that repeated rant! ]

I guess your boy would also be allowed to ignore the game completely to the point his teammates have to come find him to make a kick while he yucks it up on the sideline.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should give out pacifiers and swaddling blankets

Because discipline and toughness are such antiquated constructs from the patriarchy.

What the hail are they teaching kids in college these days?

Diamonds are made under pressure. Positive reinforcement is a great tool. But a kick in the a$$ can be very effective too.

I loved exchanging letters with my football coach. They were erudite, civil, and so warmly composed just for me. It made me feel good when I strapped up my delicate pads and cute, coordinating uniform pieces. I knew my coach wanted the best for me because he would never raise his voice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

No way!

Oct 15, 2019, 2:50 PM

bdrechs® , there's not a chance in hail you exchanged letters with coaches. Not with a work like 'erudite', which sounds like a metal, or some twin of that Aussie 'krud' they swear by in OZ! ;)

Re: No way!

Oct 15, 2019, 5:49 PM

I don’t remember where I learned the word erudite, but I’ll say it’s highly likely that the letters I exchanged with my coach were the original source. I was so tender and formative, and those letters had such depth and warmth, so naturally I absorbed their content like a sponge. In fact, that was a major point our coach would try to get across to his players - stay soft. Always stay soft.

I will always measure great coaching by the standard of placidity and limpwristedness I grew up with.

[uses dental floss to clean up after lying profusely through teeth]

GO TIGERS

Oct 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

Are you the candya$$ that whined to BMeist?

Oct 15, 2019, 1:48 PM

TinCup14®
Letterman [288]
TigerPulse: 43%
I've never really understood why coaches yell at players [1]
Posted: Oct 15, 2019 1:40 PM

and why people think that is ok and a good thing. I had a boss one time that thought it was ok to do this. It's funny to hear people say things like "back in my day my coach used to slap me and call me an SOB"....

AND SOME WONDER WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR COUNTRY THESE DAYS.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:53 PM

America is in better shape than it's ever been. Not sure why you old farts think it's so bad. Maybe you should move to North Korea if you don't like it here.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:30 PM

I resemble that remark. Just how old do you think my farts are?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 1:49 PM

You dumb SOB. Grow some balls and take your dress off before posting this nonsense again.

Don’t you feel more motivated now not to suck so much? Hope you understand the why now. You’re welcome.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:52 PM

My guess is you're a young guy. You probably did not come along in the day of the tough, in your face, type of coach. They all used to be this way. It's what many of us are used to, and expect. We did not come along in the "trophy for everybody" generation. Everything was earned, and the yelling and physical attitude was expected. I'm not saying your generation is wrong, it's just entirely different from what many of us experienced.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Being yelled at doesn't motivate people as much these days

Oct 15, 2019, 2:26 PM

Like why would you want to go bust your tail for someone who just screamed and cursed at you nonstop? Is it a fear thing? Screaming never motivated me much . To me the best coaches found ways to motivate in other ways

Because you respect them. Like the respect

Dabo has earned from his players. It’s not all yelling all the time.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I've never really understood why coaches yell at players ]

Sort of off topic of the overall thread, but I think the whole participation trophy thing is way overblown. Kids(for the most part) aren't stupid. If a kid isn't good at something they aren't going to magically think they were actually great at it because they got a trophy at the end.

I played baseball as a youth, and I honestly wasn't good at it at all. I like to think I wasn't the worst player on the team, but I was certainly closer to being the worst on the team than I was to being one of the best. This isn't something I figured out later on though, I knew it at the time. I did go out and try my best though, worked at home to try and get better, and had the time of my life playing. My team didn't win any championship, but I still have trophies for each year I played that I guess would be considered participation trophies. I didn't keep those things all these years because I felt I played so great to earn them. I've kept them to remind me of the fun I had playing with my friends.

I didn't magically think I was as good as the one kid on our team who seemed to hit a home run every other time he hit, or that my team had suddenly been as good as the team that went unbeaten one of the years.

Another example recently was my daughter doing cheerleading while she was in kindergarten. It ended up being harder work than she probably thought it would be going into it. Practice started in the summer for 1.5 hours 3 days a week. She was hot, sweaty, and had to do a lot of exercise. She asked us about quitting early on, and we made her keep at it due to making a commitment. She did keep at it, and everyone on our team got a trophy at the end. I know that's a bit different because there was no competition going on, but that trophy to me represents her reward for sticking it out and all the hard work put into practice. It also gives her something to look back on for memories of it later on.

well said***

Oct 16, 2019, 12:59 AM

Oct 15, 2019, 1:53 PM

All coaches yell. Coaches yell to players and coaches yell at players.

It's what coaches do when they are not yelling that decides if the yelling is a good thing or not.

Coaches who do nothing except yell and yell and yell some more, typically have beat down players who are scared to perform.

Coaches who love their players, talk to them individually when necessary, and communicate effectively to the whole team typically get great responses from players when they yell.

You can equate players to a 3 year old. If you tell them calmly to stop touching the electrical outlet, they may stop or they may not. If you yell to stop, then you get their attention and they typically stop because they realize something is different and important.

Like I mentioned before however, the parent who always yells won't get a different reaction by yelling about danger because the child is immune to the tone of voice.

If you are a coach or parent who refuses to ever get loud, then you are missing the chance to get the child's attention when they need it the most.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 PM

This is a good post. I think about it like yelling at my child. I try and save the yelling for when she really screws up so she knows when I'm serious, and so I don't dull down the message I'm sending to her. Whenever I do yell she responds to what I'm yelling about, and later on when emotions are down I'll go talk to her about whatever happened in a more calm way to make sure she understands how she screwed up and why she can't do that again.

I've seen many parents who yell all the time just to yell, and you can tell it no longer has an impact on the child because they're so used to it.

My guess is you aren’t successful,

Oct 15, 2019, 1:55 PM

Especially if you’re trolling is an example of the quality of your work

I have no doubt that you really don’t understand.***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Francis, that's the best response to the OP yet!!***

Oct 16, 2019, 5:16 AM

Oct 15, 2019, 2:00 PM

Its a fair question, if you've never coached football. Once you realize that if a player isn't focused in practice or games, that's how they get hurt, or cause others to get hurt, in the case of blocking. And its been a time tested and true method of getting a person's attention by getting in their business, up close and personal. It's brutal, but so is the sport. You might say but why yell at the kicker, he's not going to get anyone hurt. The coach has to treat everyone on the team the same way, and ultimately everyone on the team is part of the team's success or failure. There was a dangerous element of complacency creeping in that game once Clemson was up 28-0. You'll notice Dabo marched down the sideline, yelling at everyone of the players. I don't know what he said, but I'd guess it was something along the lines of y'all better get your head out of your arses.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:08 PM

Played all my life. Had plenty of good coaches that didn't act like that.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:46 PM

Did you ever coach, I believe was my question. Different perspective.

Oct 17, 2019, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I've never really understood why coaches yell at players ]

That's fine cupcake but I bet you never won a Natty or had dozens of your players drafted by the NFL...saw Dabo yell many times at Watson & Danzler and at Sunshine just recently when he threw a dud interception! Dabo is the Coach and is held to a higher standard by most Clemson fans...I know that you have a right to complain about his 'fit' on National TV! Why don't you wait 5 years until Potter is in the NFL with a big fat contract and ask him about the time when Dabo 'jacked' him up over a missed chipshot vs. Florida State! If you are disappointed about Dabo yelling just look at the 16 & 18 trophies and take solace...no yelling, no trophy! How do you think Saban got his!

Oct 15, 2019, 2:00 PM

I'm embarrassed for you. You need to get out of the basement more, get a little sunshine and put away some of those participation trophy's that cost your parents $75 or more in registration fee's just so you could be part of a team sport!

If you aren't getting yelled at in sports whether it be good or bad, it means you probably aren't worth the effort and need to go back to the closet or dark safe place you were hiding.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:04 PM

You should have seen Coach Ford and his staff on the sidelines from time to time.

Zip it, JHop!!!***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

As a boss...

Oct 15, 2019, 2:24 PM

If I had an employ that I told needed to get his head right and stop goofing off... then screwed something up that potentially would cost me by doing exactly what I had been coaching him on... I would probably yell at him.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:25 PM

Why anyone feels the need to keep reposting this whinny crap is beyond me. Dear Lord you whinny people have beat this to death. He is the coach and obviously he knows what he is doing. Sometimes that’s the only way to get someone’s attention.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Boss and coach are two very different things***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well I don’t need coaches or bosses or parents to yell at me to get the point across!
If you yell at or mistreat my daughter I will do something a little more than yell at you!
However, we are talking about Football!
I nor you have any idea what Dabo said to BT Potter. I do know he probably had to yell just to be heard! He may have been yelling Hey BT it’s ok and you can try again next time.
Or he may have yelled get your head in the game!!! That was a field goal you should never ever miss! Your teammates are working their tails off and you don’t care enough to concentrate????!!!! He is 5 of 9...
Sometimes you need to express urgency and importance !

Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 PM

TinCup14® said:

spend some tome in the old testament :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 2:50 PM

What's funny is, I've seen so many outside fans refer to Dabo as a cheerleader who's soft and trying to be everyone's friend. Now we have people saying he's a big meanie.

Oct 16, 2019, 5:52 AM

I’m genuinely curious if he does this to the good players as well?

The only times I’ve notified it were with a punter and a kicker? I’ve never seen it happen to Deshaun or Trevor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!

Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 PM

Another classic DA Post from Jhop83...

Video games and rap music***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:58 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 15, 2019, 3:04 PM

The Coddled generation.

you're full of crap.

Oct 15, 2019, 5:56 PM

You didn't play high school football. If you did, then you had a coach who yelled at players.

Football is more like the military, not elementary school.

The best coaches of all time, on both college and the NFL, you think they corrected players?

Who would rather have, a soft-spoken Willie Taggart, or guys who demand a high standard, like Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney?

Re: you're full of crap.

Oct 15, 2019, 6:31 PM

Never said a player couldn't be corrected, but yelling and berating them for 15 mins in front of hundreds of thousands of people for making a mistake is not "correcting".

For 15 minutes? You put a clock on it?

Oct 15, 2019, 10:44 PM

Plus, you know the snapper and holder were at fault too. And Dabo could get to the holder anytime he wanted - day or night.

15 seconds is not equivalent to 15 minutes

Oct 16, 2019, 5:32 AM [ in reply to Re: you're full of crap. ]

Perhaps one of your math or science teachers should have yelled at you for your inability to tell time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Oct 15, 2019, 8:27 PM

If you don’t mind, what is your age?

TIA

I've said for years, I wish our ages were posted!

Oct 16, 2019, 5:23 AM

Then I could ignore most of the ones under 30, and they could ignore me!!

Oct 15, 2019, 8:40 PM

Go hug a tree . and sorry Billiary lost.

May 2, 2019, 9:43 PM

https://www.studyfinds.org/for-coaches-anger-more-effective-than-positivity-when-it-comes-to-halftime-speeches/

Quite the juxtaposition that The Process is banned but this trolling POS

Oct 15, 2019, 10:43 PM

gets booted and immediately returns unabated to continue as a trolling provocative POS.

Real nice Crump and B-Meist. Real nice.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 6:50 AM

It's called seeing who can keep their head straight when things are falling down around them.

My TI's called it "keeping your military bearing". Eventually we got past the screaming and focused on the task on hand and started working as a unit. By the last week of Basic, there was hardly any screaming by the TI's.

Sheesh

Oct 16, 2019, 6:55 AM

Someone get this guy (or girl, yeah probably a girl) a tissue.

Oct 16, 2019, 8:20 AM

Cause yelling gets the attention of knotheads(most young men) . Normal tone indicates a normal situation, a raised voice indicates an elevated (important) issue is being addressed.

Oct 16, 2019, 9:02 AM

Football is somewhat of a barbaric sport. Regardless, people react differently and your reaction is irrelevant. The reaction of Potter and to some extent the rest of the team is what is important. Many criticized Tom Izzo this spring but the kid and his father said it was just what the kid needed. That type of coaching isn't for everybody but don't assume that it is not right for anybody either.

Oct 17, 2019, 9:59 AM

What is showing is the soft generation that you belong to.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2019, 10:00 AM

Must be why you play golf because you can't take the pressures of a real sport.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic