Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just how bad does ACC football suck?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Just how bad does ACC football suck?

Jan 26, 2019, 8:30 PM

If you look at how the SEC, ACC, Big10 and Big 12 did when playing each other the results are interesting. Over the 15, 16, 17 and 18 seasons here are the interconference records of those leagues against each other and ranked by winning percentage"

Big 10 is 33-18, winning 65% if their games.
SEC is 44-42, winning 51% of their games.
ACC is 40-42, winning 49% of their games.
Big 12 is 24-29, winning 45% of their games.

Make of that what you will. I'll bet few of the media talking heads who regularly bash the ACC are aware of what the interconference records of these four leagues actually are when playing each other.

I was surprised the Big 10 did so well. I felt good about where the ACC stands when compared to the SEC. The ACC is not a big bunch of losers, which is the perception many have of the ACC. The ACC and SEC both have two Nattys in the last four years to ZIP for the Big 10 and Big 12. The difference between the ACC and SEC out of conference against these power five conferences is very narrow.

I like the fact that in four tries, our Tigers have as many wins against Alabama in four years as the entire SEC. Clemson is winning at 50% of our games against Bama. The SEC is winning 6% of their games against Bama.

It is also interesting to note that both the SEC and ACC, two leagues who are being pushed by the Big 10 and Pac 12 to play a 9 game conference schedule instead of an 8 conference game schedule, both play substantially more interconference games that the Big 10 or Big 12.

(I did not figure the Pac 12 into the looksee because I don't give a darn about the Pac 12.)

If anyone wants to check my numbers, they all come from Colley's Bias Free Matrix of college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just how bad does ACC football suck?

Jan 26, 2019, 8:34 PM

Won three of the last six national championships. I’d say ACC football is pretty ### good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This...

Jan 27, 2019, 9:41 AM

Yep!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

The biggest difference I see is teams like Clemson

Jan 26, 2019, 8:37 PM

wants to play your best. We've scheduled TAMU, UGA and LSU in the future. Alabama wants to schedule teams like Louisville the year after Lamar Jackson leaves, VT after the glory days of Beamer are gone and schedule home and home with Duke the years they lose 20 straight games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so you think Alabama scheduled Louisville the year before?

Jan 27, 2019, 8:55 AM

I’m not a defender of Alabama and agree we have some quality out of conference games but you schedule these teams 5 or more years out half the time. Now duke you can count on not being good. But to say they scheduled them the year after Lamar left (Louisville) just has no validity. Doubt they even knew Lamar was a thing when they scheduled that game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The game was scheduled in 2015

Jan 28, 2019, 10:14 PM

Alabama knew that Louisville's 4 star freshman QB would be gone by game time.

Re: The game was scheduled in 2015

Jan 28, 2019, 10:23 PM

It was scheduled before the season, when they had no idea what Lamer “this is crazy, man” Jackson was, or if he would be there in 2018.

Thinking they didn’t give it a 2nd thought.***

Jan 28, 2019, 10:31 PM [ in reply to The game was scheduled in 2015 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you make a lot of good points but this ain’t one of ‘em***

Jan 29, 2019, 9:40 AM [ in reply to The game was scheduled in 2015 ]

Yep, also scheduled USC (real one) a few years ago

Jan 28, 2019, 10:30 PM [ in reply to so you think Alabama scheduled Louisville the year before? ]

and Michigan. Assuming they were good when they scheduled them. Also scheduled us when we were supposed to be good in 2008.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so you think Alabama scheduled Louisville the year before?

Jan 29, 2019, 8:04 AM [ in reply to so you think Alabama scheduled Louisville the year before? ]

They also scheduled FSU last year. When that game was scheduled they had every reason to assume FSU would be a legit top 5 or top 10 team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad - not bad at all ....

Jan 26, 2019, 8:41 PM

....Harley!! -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 26, 2019, 8:42 PM

Pretty sure the ACC has a better winning percentage than SEC in bowl games for the past two years.....therefore the SEC must really suck ......Go Tigers!!!!!

Jan 26, 2019, 8:52 PM

Clemson is so good it gives the impression the ACC is worse than it really is. Of course, FSU and Louisville didn't help matters this year. When the Tigers destroyed Bama 44 - 16, that should be an indicator that there's the ACC, SEC, B1G, Big12, PAC12, and then Clemson all by themselves.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 8:10 AM

No, the ACC losing nearly every meaningful OOC game against P5 teams this year that didn't involve Clemson made the ACC look worse. BC getting spanked by Purdue, Miami getting spanked by LSU, GT losing to South Florida and getting spanked by UGA, FSU nearly losing to Samford and getting spanked by Florida, VT losing to Old Dominion, UNC losing to everyone, and Syracuse getting spanked by ND(yes they lost their QB, but they were down 10-0 before that, and you'd think they'd at least put points on the board).

On top of all that, a Pitt team that finished 7-7 played for our conference championship. Not only were they 7-7, but they ended up going 1-4 OOC. Let that sink in, a team that went just 1-4 OOC managed to play for the ACC Championship...the ACC sucking this season wasn't about bias or perception...it simply sucked. I do think the ACC was better than it got credit for in the 2-3 years before this past one, but it was really bad in 2018. That doesn't change the fact that Clemson was the clear #1 team in the country though.

not nearly as bad as everybody claims

Jan 26, 2019, 8:48 PM

all the conferences are about the same.. the whole conference argument is tired and I'm sick of hearing how bad we are.

Re: not nearly as bad as everybody claims

Jan 26, 2019, 8:59 PM

We are Clemson. And we aren’t bad. Not bad at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I know but.... THEY AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY PAWWLLL!***

Jan 26, 2019, 9:05 PM

"BUT THAT CITADEL SCORE WAS AT THE HALF, PAAWWLL!"***

Jan 29, 2019, 10:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not nearly as bad as everybody claims

Jan 26, 2019, 9:03 PM [ in reply to not nearly as bad as everybody claims ]

THIS

It’s a stupid (and tired) argument.

Jan 26, 2019, 9:00 PM

Your stats below don’t matter. WHO they beat matters. With Bama playing the likes of Duke, and Clemson playing the likes of Bama, TAM, Georgia, LSU, OSU, ND, etc, your numbers can’t tell the whole story. Conf arguments are futile because they don’t tell the whole story.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: It’s a stupid (and tired) argument.

Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 AM

I don’t have numbers but just what my eyes see. The ACC isn’t a bad conference but it lacks very strong teams outside of Clemson. The SEC is Bama, but UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF, Miss St are decent teams that would compete in the upper portion of the ACC. Good news is who cares because Clemson is the best team of any conference and I’m good with that.

Re: It’s a stupid (and tired) argument.

Jan 29, 2019, 8:13 AM [ in reply to It’s a stupid (and tired) argument. ]

So who could Bama play in the ACC besides Clemson that you'd give Bama credit for beating?

Your math is wrong somewhere

Jan 26, 2019, 9:11 PM

You have 141 Ws and 131 Ls. The totals should equal. I’ve got a hunch the B10 is overstated on Ws or under on Ls but will let you figure out from the raw data you’re using. Or maybe you included P12 results for someone. Also- I imagine there are far more games between the SEC-ACC than any other combination.

Re: Your math is wrong somewhere

Jan 26, 2019, 10:22 PM

Most likely your numbers counted the w and l’s for b1g vs p12 since they play each other so much in ooc games. Just a quess.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

by "your" numbers I assume you mean the OP's(Harley) even

Jan 28, 2019, 1:51 PM

thought you replied to me. The only #s I included were a total of what he provided which proves something is off with his data.

Bottom line, using conference affiliation as a factor in

Jan 26, 2019, 9:41 PM

determining how good any given team is or how tough their season is, is total BS. There just isn't THAT much difference between the conferences. There are good teams in all of the power 5 conferences, and the season is long and takes a toll on all teams.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

9-3 following 16. 6-5 following 18

Jan 26, 2019, 10:16 PM

Winning records during bowl season! Favorable match ups is what I have heard from the SEC homers. Well it works both ways. Like someone posted. Bama playing Duke. Who? Duke. Who? Louisville. A down Miami! When FSU was rolling along nobody wanted to talk about the streak they had on the Gators. Or the fact, they beat the SEC's best Auburn for the national title! See a trend going?

To me: all conferences have those 1 or 3 teams who are above everyone else. The rest are on the Roy bus. It's no different in the ACC. But, somehow, "it's reported differently"! Not sure why? How? But, same story, nothing to see here. Really good team; beats up other good teams who are not on the same level. The End.

The SEC is not exempt. Neither is the Big 10. How many playoff wins does the Big 10 have? How many does the Big 12 have? The Pac 12 has 1 win vs. FSU.

To the OP point. It's a lot closer than it's reported; and whether you are a CU fan who can care less or not; it's still kind of a big deal. Why? B/C if perception is reality and voters can keep teams out b/c their competition is deemed weak; they could "potentially" keep us out over a team who supposedly faced stiffer competition. I think Clemson has done enough now to get the benefit of the doubt though ***full disclaimer! Still, that's why people get so frustrated with the whole under-reporting of wins head to head. And the overall, put down they give the conference, as often as they can when it's unwarranted. See OP stats and clearly the idea there is this huge separation is false!

Either way! Go Tigers! Changing the narrative one win at a time!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch the narrative change starting in August

Jan 27, 2019, 8:32 AM

Soon as the ACC Network gets going, the talking points will suddenly emphasize the positive. All of a sudden the ACC will be a much better league. There will be a rea$on to pump the once-weak conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Here's a little something for every team that...

Jan 27, 2019, 9:45 AM

ain't Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Underrated post***

Jan 27, 2019, 4:47 PM

Re: Underrated post***

Jan 27, 2019, 5:01 PM

LOL! I agree. Very underrated post!

I also agree; who cares Clemson is the best out of any conference. But, still, "just for arguments sake" how can you ignore the facts the OP posted!
The ACC is typically ranked 4th best of the pwr 5 or last. Flip/flop Pac 12. I would argue you can't put the conference any lower than 3rd.

What measure are we going by to judge superiority is the question?

If it's # of championships then we are no less than tied for 1st with the SEC.
Playoff National Championships!
1. ACC - 2
1A. SEC - 2
2. Big 10 - 1

And right before the playoffs started FSU won the last BCS championship on the football field. Beating "ye-ole-mighty-SEC Auburn" in the process!

I hope the poster that said, "with the launch of the ACC network all of a sudden the narrative will change"! I hope so, b/c the so called experts seem to not have access to the OP numbers! Or the NFL data about what conference they get their talent from: only the SEC has more players than the ACC. Several factors tell me; it's blown out of perspective more than it's true when it comes to how good or bad the ACC truly is!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Underrated post***

Jan 29, 2019, 8:24 AM

What I see is the top teams in each conference can usually compete with the top teams in other conferences. What I mean for instance is just because the ACC as a whole was down in 2018 doesn't mean that Clemson can't go out and beat anyone else. I think Clemson has obviously proven that over the past several years, and FSU has done the same in the past.

I do think many years that the ACC has a hard time finding that 2nd, 3rd, or 4th legit top 15-25 team that has the potential to be a top 10 team. When FSU is playing up to their potential then we have 2 top 10 type of teams, but there's not really another ACC team that recruits consistently well enough to stay consistent with the potential exception of Miami.

I don't think the SEC is always as great as people make it out to be, but in any given year after Bama they have UGA, Auburn, LSU, and Florida at least who have the recruiting, resources, fan support, and history to potentially compete for a championship, and A&M could potentially get there as well. I'm not saying any of those teams are consistently playing at a high level, but the potential is there is all I'm saying.

Outside of Clemson, FSU, and maybe one day again Miami, I'm not sure the ACC has another team. Sure, other ACC teams will have years where they put together special seasons, but without culture changes it's hard to see any of them doing it on a consistent basis.

Sucked really bad in 2018. Not every year though.***

Jan 28, 2019, 10:27 PM

Media seems to define the SEC by its best, ACC by its worst.

Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 PM

So the SEC is “Are you kidding? You want to play Bama every year!?!” And the ACC is “Wouldn’t it be nice to face Wake every year?”
That’s admittedly a broad brush but I think that perception holds true more often than not.

null

Good ^^^ point ^^^ !

Jan 29, 2019, 10:07 AM

Any and every one who wants to make/prove a point seeks out facts, figures or stats to support THEIR argument.

Funny thing - it now occurs to me that you’ve done exactly that, too, Swarley! hah!

But it doesn’t make your point any less valid or correct!

+1 ????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Not really. I’ve read over and over that FSU, Louisville,

Jan 29, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Media seems to define the SEC by its best, ACC by its worst. ]

UNC, Miami, and VT are down, which they are with only Cuse and UVA seemingly improving which they are.

The SEC top to bottom was waaay better than the ACC in 2018. Some people think it’s like that every year but that ain’t so either.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic