Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 Saban Natty play calls I'll never understand
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

2 Saban Natty play calls I'll never understand

Aug 16, 2019, 1:08 PM

Nick must have had a panic attack in Santa Clara. I've watched the Jan. CFP Champ game at least 8 times (believe me, it keeps getting better). That baffling fake FG call was - - just awful. Also (game over anyway, but) - Tua running a QB sweep on 4th & goal, getting hammered & losing 5 yards!

But, it all continues to be great fun to re-watch!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 Saban Natty play calls I'll never understand

Aug 16, 2019, 1:12 PM

he was not himself that day. I missed the profane tirades we've grown to love. Seemed resigned to his fate

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 1:19 PM

There was ONE (bit of a profane tirade).

Believe it was after the 2nd Tua INT. They "slow-mo'd" Saban's disgusted reaction on the sideline replay. Clearly, he says (as you read his lips) - "...GD-it Tua..!"

Aug 16, 2019, 2:27 PM

My, very unexpert, analysis of the 2nd interception.

It was essentially the same play they ran against UGA in the championship game the year before. And it worked. Tua looked to his right, held the safety in the middle of the field and the receiver was wide open.

I've watched it several times. I don't think Tua ever looked right until he threw the ball. He clearly didn't expect the corner to bail and drop deep at the snap. It was a terrible pass. The receiver was well covered. The pass was overthrown. No one on the field had a chance to catch it except the guy who did.

It was like Tua was just assuming, "It worked last year, so it will work this year." Never bothered to check to see if the guy was open before he threw it.

In which case, Saban's disgust would be justified.

Veneables clearly outcoached Saban and his crew all night long.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 1:16 PM

8 times is all you've watched it? I've done 8 times in a week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no idea what happened on the fake FG

Aug 16, 2019, 1:25 PM

But if I were guessing I'd think they had a "Fake-if-its-obviously-available" play call in, and with the formation we were in it seemed obvious to about half the team that the fake should've been off. Unfortunately for them, the kicker/holder never got the memo and decided to go for 4th and 6 with a kicker blocking for a holder.

I make that guess due to the special teams coach (I assume that's who it was) gesturing like crazy to nick in a way which seemed to imply "It should've obviously been aborted."

As for the Tua sweep to the short side later, that was a more perplexing call. Tua is left handed, so I can vaguely understand rolling him left and giving him a run pass option. But that play had zero chance of working with that short of a left side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. I believe this is exactly what happened.***

Aug 16, 2019, 1:49 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was surprising to me when he began waving the

Aug 16, 2019, 1:31 PM

white flag at the end of the first half and took it to the locker room. That was a sure sign that they had nothing.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger® because spelling can be difficult

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I've watched the game numerous times...

Aug 16, 2019, 1:45 PM

and not once did I see any Alabama coach or player waive a white flag. Could you please provide a link?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Here you go...

Aug 16, 2019, 1:53 PM

You have to watch carefully but you can see Saban waving a white flag on Bama's sidelines after the INT:

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Here you go...

Aug 16, 2019, 2:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: It was surprising to me when he began waving the

Aug 16, 2019, 5:24 PM [ in reply to It was surprising to me when he began waving the ]

^^THIS. Game over for Bama when Saban decided to let the clock run out in the 1st half. That was my favorite play of the season. To watch the GOAT cry "uncle". :)

Can't believe anyone missed that play.

Makes you wonder how good the coach is. Must be good players

Aug 16, 2019, 1:51 PM

To compensate for bad coaching.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 2:09 PM

No mention of the ending of the first half? Well let’s set it up. The best offense on the best team ever has the ball at their own 25 yard line down 15 points (due to unlucky circumstances that occurred to the best quarterback in college football). Three timeouts available so naturally with 45 seconds there should be no problem at least getting a FG......Right? Two plays later the half ends without having used a timeout. And the announcer says Satan is just preparing for the opening possession of the second half. Really?

Aug 16, 2019, 2:48 PM

Who quit first, Saban or the players?

Aug 16, 2019, 2:50 PM

he knew we were going to start pulling away when he went for it on 4th down on his own 40. It was just pure desperation after that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2019, 5:27 PM

^^Good catch. It resembled a novice playing a Grandmaster in chess, and knowing the game is lost, so he just starts making desperation attacks hoping for a miracle.

Aug 16, 2019, 3:41 PM

A friend of mine played golf with Nick not long after the game and knows him well enough to ask about the game. Nick told him that he knew they were in trouble at the end of the 1st quarter. Guess he was right!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic