Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It seems those screaming the loudest to “fairly pay players”
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

It seems those screaming the loudest to “fairly pay players”

Oct 30, 2019, 10:07 AM

really have no idea what that means. “Paying” the college athlete and “compensating for likeness/image” are two very different things.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It seems those screaming the loudest to “fairly pay players”

Oct 30, 2019, 10:15 AM

Of course it's about getting paid to play. If these kids were not playing football or basketball at a high level, their endorsements would be worthless and no one would pay for them.

Any team lucky enough to have a billionaire or two among their boosters will be able to rake in players by promising "endorsement opportunities".

It's utterly naive--you have to be deliberately obtuse--to believe that the endorsements are somehow disconnected from their play on the field/court or that rich boosters will not begin bidding wars promising endorsement money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s stupid to think this applies to all college football players, like most argue for

Oct 30, 2019, 10:19 AM

it applies to a handful

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it’s stupid to think this applies to all college football players, like most argue for

Oct 30, 2019, 11:30 AM

I'll respectfully disagree instead of calling you stupid. I can envision a Texas grad who has a car dealership in Austin that has 5,000 cars on his lot, paying linemen for their likeness as a promotion. A large law firm in Dallas handing out promotional materials posters, business cards, schedule cards with a LB likeness on it. All these expenses are business expenses.

There are donors who are not willing to pay under the table, but will gladly pay above board. It's the camel's nose under the tent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I got my (free) Raptor from XYZ Ford, where all Dawgs

Oct 30, 2019, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: It seems those screaming the loudest to “fairly pay players” ]

have their day." It will all be out in the open now.

I still remember Tree Rollins showing up on campus with a BRIGHT ORANGE brand new Monte Carlo back in the day. We wouldn't get probation for that once this pay for play thing goes into effect. (You would think Tates Locke would have at least tried to get Tree to get a less noticeable color, for Pete's sake. What were they thinking?)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be interesting to see just how many total.......

Oct 30, 2019, 10:18 AM

college athletes do get compensated for their photo/autograph/likeness, etc. Sure, the big-name football and basketball stars will but percentage-wise the number out the total number of college athletes will be relatively small.

Oct 30, 2019, 10:33 AM

Recruitment will be about 'we have the biggest fanbase'. 'You will make more money here'. Players will be all into self promotion, as it will be their big money. It adds up to paying the athlete in an underhanded way.

Oct 30, 2019, 10:33 AM

Recruitment will be about 'we have the biggest fanbase'. 'You will make more money here'. Players will be all into self promotion, as it will be their big money. It adds up to paying the athlete in an underhanded way.

I think you could say the exact same thing about those

Oct 30, 2019, 11:31 AM

screaming the loudest against paying players.

Oct 30, 2019, 11:34 AM

This is the same crowd that thinks millionaire professional athletes are treated poorly as well. They can't even use the word "owners" in the NBA any more because it offends their delicate sensibilities. Giving in to them in this will only embolden them to continue whining.

Oct 30, 2019, 11:47 AM

When it doubt I have found it best to oppose anything that the state of California is for.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic