Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Isaiah Simmons vs Anthony Simmons ... who ya got?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Isaiah Simmons vs Anthony Simmons ... who ya got?

Oct 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

Anthony Simmons is regarded by many as arguably the best LB in Clemson history. Note, I said “arguably” ...

How do you rate Isaiah Simmons compared to Anthony Simmons?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isaiah Simmons vs Anthony Simmons ... who ya got?

Oct 23, 2019, 10:56 AM

Good debate...Simmons skill set is definitely better than Simmons but then again, Simmons played more downs at his position than the other Simmons. All in all, I'm taken Simmons, 11 that is!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 11:00 AM

I think Anthony Simmons was definitely more dominant and more highly recognized at the same point in hi career. He was also a really good NFL LB.

Isaiah has the potential to possibly be better, but right now it's still not close.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 11:02 AM

I think this is a tricky debate and depends on wording.

If you are asking about best LB then the answer is still likely Anthony.

If you are asking about who is a better defensive player then I believe the answer may be Isaiah.

The idea that he can play anywhere from deep safety to nickel to outside LB to on-the-line rushing LB is absolutely incredible!

Oct 23, 2019, 11:11 AM

The word for Isaiah you might be looking for is "versatile". We're comparing LB's from different eras, so there's definitely that.

I was a student when Anthony Simmons at Clemson, and have seen Isaiah play as well. Anthony Simmons was EVERY bit the athlete that Isaiah Simmons is. He's one of the biggest athletic "freak-shows" to wear the uniform. Clemson fans old enough to see him play know what I'm talking about.

Oct 23, 2019, 11:34 AM

Yes the game has changed quite a bit and so have defenses.

That said, being a physical freak does not necessarily mean being able to do everything Isaiah does.

Xavier Thomas has a similar physical makeup athletically, but he can't do similar things to either of the Simmons.

Isaiah has the skills to perform at an extremely high level at each of the positions that he plays for our defense.

Anthony may have had the same skills but didn't get to show it in the same way.

I am old enough to have seen Anthony play but not old enough to understand what I was seeing as I do now.

I'm glad both of them have worn Clemson orange!

Oct 23, 2019, 2:19 PM

True...and true.

Different players from different eras. Isaiah Simmons is definitely the right athlete at the right time in the NFL.

Anthony Simmons dominated as a freshman

Oct 23, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Isaiah Simmons vs Anthony Simmons ... who ya got? ]

Issiah had a lot to learn

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anthony Simmons dominated as a freshman

Oct 23, 2019, 1:38 PM

I second this observation. Anthony Simmons is one of the best players in Clemson history in my opinion. He may not be #1, but he's in the conversation and I'm surprised not a ROH candidate. He doesn't get the "discussion" he deserves because he played on Tommy West teams that weren't winning much.

Anthony Simmons was the best LB in the ACC for 3 years. 3-time All ACC first team. In 1997, he was the best LB in America in my opinion. He's just had a nose for the football. It was a shame he didn't win the Butkus Award in 97. He lost to Andy Katzenmoyer of Ohio State. Simmons led the ACC in tackles (158) and tackles for loss (25) that year. He had 8 sacks that year. Katzenmoyer only had 97 tackles, 13 TFL and 2 sacks. Katzenmoyer wasn't even the leading tackler on the Buckeye team that year. Another guy had 100 tackles. It was pure regional bias that Anthony didn't win. There was a strong media campaign for Katz and in the end, he won.

BTW Clemson finished 7-5 that year and 4-4 in the ACC behind FSU, UNC, UVA, and GT. My how times have changed.

Isaiah is an impressive player and having a great season. I don't want to take anything away from that. But AS was in a league of his own.

Oct 23, 2019, 11:03 AM

GENE! He can play the guitar, has a huge bank account, and married to Shannon Tweed, geez that is the Simmons I wanted to be!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apples and oranges. Anthony played inside like Jeff Davis

Oct 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

, Bubba Brown, Kendall Joseph, etc.

Isaiah plays outside/nickel.

I'd take Anthony though, because that position is a lil' more important, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it still more important in the modern game?

Oct 23, 2019, 11:14 AM

Having a guy that can play OLB, safety, and nickel is extremely valuable in the modern game just as having a dominant run-stuffing MLB was extremely valuable 25 years ago.

Oct 23, 2019, 11:10 AM

Anthony Simmons was the best linebacker I have ever watched at Clemson. Had he stayed all four years, there is no telling what his Clemson career would have looked like. He was amazing, and I think as the one poster said above, Anthony was the better linebacker. Conversely, Isaiah is perhaps the most elite, versatile defensive player I have ever watched at Clemson. He is incredible, and has Coach V said the other day, he could probably start at three different positions, and I think he could be an All-American wherever they decided to play him.

So, my answer to this question would be that I would take Anthony all day long at linebacker, but if I had to pick a player to build my defense from scratch, it would be Isaiah. They were and are two of the best to ever wear orange. I’m glad I’ve gotten to see both of them play on tv and in person. I’m also more than happy they are Clemson Tigers.

Isaiah is playing in a different role than you'd

Oct 23, 2019, 11:13 AM

have seen in the 90s and Anthony was more of a true LB. Isaiah's versatile skill set probably makes him the more obvious choice in todays game but Anthony could flat out play LB better than just about anyone. His total tackles were essentially two players worth of production, granted teams ran more back then out of traditional sets so that may have played into that compared to todays game.

Speaking of great Clemson LB's - its always worth mentioning what Keith Adams did his senior year will likely stand in the Clemson record books for a long time. 35 TFL and 16 sacks in a single season is absurdity.

Don’t forget Wayne Simmons...he’s right up there with them!*

Oct 23, 2019, 11:46 AM

nm

Anthony Simmons is the best defensive player

Oct 23, 2019, 11:56 AM

I ever saw with a Paw on his helmet, and I go back to the 1970's. He was a freak show as a true freshman, a pure LB, faster than a RB, hit like a truck, and was a hell of an NFL LB before injuries got him. Isaiah is not a pure LB, he is a hybrid player who is as good of an athlete as AS was. I will take both of them, along with Jeff Davis, Keith Adams, and Levon, thank you....LOL. Ed McDaniel and Leroy Hill, and John Johnson off the bench, then we are all set.

Re: Anthony Simmons is the best defensive player

Oct 23, 2019, 12:14 PM

Anthony Simmons was probably the only college LB in the country who could cover Warrick Dunn coming out of the backfield, step for step.

Absolutely

Oct 23, 2019, 12:48 PM

His straight line speed, lateral movement, and violence when tackling was absurd. I have never seem a college LB turn and run like him or shoot the gaps with that type of DB speed. He was a nasty SOB.

Re: Anthony Simmons is the best defensive player

Oct 23, 2019, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Anthony Simmons is the best defensive player ]

that was a list of GREAT LBS

Simmons is making a name for himself

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 3:02 PM

Cuse game this year I watched as two of Cuse's massive lineman targeted Isaiah and pancaked him

Isaiah sacked the qb on next place and had a great game notwithstanding their attempt to take him out of the game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic