Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Isaiah Simmons and other thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Isaiah Simmons and other thoughts

Sep 11, 2018, 9:54 AM

I had him picked as my breakout player for the defense this year and he was lost against A&M a lot. That is not too surprising as Fisher runs a complicated offense. I do believe he will learn from this and become a much better player from it. By game 5 he will be lights out. Also, I kind of like the fact that teams may try to pass more, it means they will give our Dline more to eat.

A&M played a nearly flawless game and had almost every tipped ball go there way.

I still feel like our offense was even more explosive last year and we haven’t found our identity yet, but such is life with a 2 QB system. This will gel and really is the main missing link right now. When we get our snap count up, things will look completely different. The Chad used to worry more about how many plays we could get in to wear a defense out than the quality of the play calls and it would bite us in the rear sometimes. I believe our OCs are trying to find that perfect blend of high snap counts and quality calls.

Either way, the best is definitely yet to come for this season.

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isaiah Simmons and other thoughts

Sep 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

Keep in mind with Isaiah that he is manning a new position this year. He went from SS last year to SAM this year and is still adjusting to this position and all that is new for him: coverages, assignments, playbook, etc. I wouldn't read to much into him being "lost" because in many ways for an athlete like him, being lost can be made-up through his sheer athleticism and size but certainly we would like for him to be in the right place at the right time.

As for teams trying to pass more against us, uh yeah, they understand they aren't getting any running lanes against our d-line.

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 12:46 PM

He just needs to learn that he has to account for a TE coming off the line or out of the backfield for a pass (or running back depending on what the other team lines up in). There were a few times were Isaiah was just reading the quarterback and watching his eyes. You can't do that at SAM. He will learn (hopefully). The one who was/is lost is Tanner Muse. He has not gotten better AT ALL in pass coverage from last year. Saw it against Furman and saw it again against A&M. It's almost sickening to watch him cover somebody. He just seems to always be out of position. Like one touchdown A&M had he literally dove BEHIND the receiver in the endzone to try and swat the ball like he was gonna be there to make the play or something. I don't know what he was doing. That's why Denzel Johnson played the whole fourth quarter because Muse was getting beat. Denzel just needs more live reps. He looked ok against A&M and I hope he plays some more. We just have to get better in pass coverage in general. Got guys looking in the backfield too much instead of finding the guy/area they're supposed to be covering. And honestly some of those touchdowns were luck. Like there's no way they could run those same plays (or any other pass plays for that matter) again on KVon Wallace or any defender and the ball just hits his hands and the receiver still catches it. Mond was lighting us up in general and did an amazing job of keeping plays alive, but some of those plays were luck. But hey, the way we played Saturday we might need some of that luck. I hope not. Hope this storm passes so we don't get a game cancelled!! We aren't like BAMA and can afford to take a week off and still get into the playoff, lol.

Sep 11, 2018, 1:01 PM

:) I only knew ONE "Hutto" in college, and he was the valedictorian in high school. He was a freshman in 68-69 on B-9 Johnstone. That you???

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic