Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Schedules..................
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,611

If Schedules..................

Oct 18, 2019, 7:04 PM

If schedules are made years in advanced - particularly OOC games versus other P5 teams. Does that mean Alabama thought years ago Duke would be a worthy P5 opponent? A&M was one of the hottest commodities in college football and had just entered the SEC. Had a Heisman winner. Some #1 picks in the draft and was hailed one of the key reasons Texas wasn't doing well b/c A & M was getting all the best Texas talent.
LSU scheduled Texas when they were barely bowl eligible. So happens they are considered good this year b/c they have a good QB.
Every P5 schedules some FCS opponents.

***If Clemson is to be hurt by it's schedule to hear the experts. Then what you would have to have is one "Super Conference"! The winner of this super conference would be the National Champion, period.
Otherwise - isn't it all a matter of subjectivity?
Who in the Big 10 is a real threat to win the NC besides Ohio St.? Michigan St. is the only other team from the Big 10 who has gone I believe.
Who in the Pac 12 besides Oregon?
The Big 12 pretty much only has Oklahoma every year!
The ACC just has Clemson!

The SEC honestly just has Bama! Had Wisconscin not dropped the ball in 2017 they would have gotten in. Bama would have stayed at home. But the Badgers lost to Ohio St. who had 2 losses(Iowa and Oklahoma).
So my thing is: more "variety of" teams in the ACC has played for or won a National Championship more recently than those in the Big 10(Michigan 1997) Penn St.(1986). Nebraska I think was 1996. Since then Miami won it in 2001. Played for it in 2002. VT played for it in 2000. GT won it in 1990. Of course, Clemson's success is well documented and known.
Those conferences are getting "great losses" b/c they get so many teams ranked high so early! The ACC is not. As long as those teams either win or lose to each other - no other teams get to get in the circle. Which is another reason they hate Clemson - b/c we are mucking up the program.
What is the fix if you are bound by the conference you are in? Didn't all the conferences get together and decide what conferences were "Power 5" and which were "group of 5"?
If so, everyone should already know it really doesn't matter what you think about the teams in a conference. If you have agreed the champion from a conference gets considered for the playoffs as long as there isn't a loss on the resume and another conference's team more deserving - you get to compete for it.

Any deviation to that program by the powers that be would result in total re-writing of the concept of "power 5"! Schedules are made in advanced and you cannot control who is good and who isn't. Maybe there should be another way of doing the schedules? Ideas?
I just don't get the mentality of some people - you play who is on the schedule. Ask Sakerlina - all of a sudden they have a ranked App St. team scheduled to come to WB. Didn't plan for that did they? And Clemson can't control who is or isn't ranked. The SEC schools are too busy scheduling Troy or UL Monroe to play Clemson. Auburn has for a short series. Georgia. A&M but most want no part.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Schedules..................

Oct 18, 2019, 8:24 PM

The Duke-Alabama game was put together by the Chick-fil-A committee in Atlanta. Clemson is scheduled to play Georgia in that game several years from now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2019, 9:33 PM

While your statement is true, Duke is one of only 2 opponents outside of the SEC that has hosted Alabama since Saban got there. The Tide won both games--at Duke and Penn St back in 2010-11--and ever since Bama has refused to schedule true road games outside the SEC. (Both had been scheduled before he arrived.)

That's a far cry from the 1970 season when John McKay and Bear Bryant scheduled the famous integration game in Birmingham when SoCal came to Alabama and thumped the Tide 42-21. (True road games used to be common.) That Trojan team finished the year 6-4-1 but ranked #15. At least they had the courage to play road games.

In spite of being the 'greatest coach in CFB history', Saban doesn't have the guts to take his boys onto nonconference college campuses and has admitted that. Since he plays in the SEC, 4 road games is enough.

Oct 18, 2019, 9:55 PM

The whole system will have to be evaluated if the defending champs could remotely not be included in the CFP if they go undefeated. And 28 straight.
Historic success is not supposed to be the criteria. But, sec teams play with house money from the beginning of the season. And why? Because Alabama is successful. Nick Saban really. As he won one at LSU too. Well and Urban Meyer's two at Florida. Take them away and it's no yearly contender in the SEC. Georgia, LSU, etc all up and down.
The media pre-season polls need to go. They're too big fan base biased!

Oct 18, 2019, 10:01 PM

BTW, the CFP was created by the networks and commissioners of the 5 'Power' conferences. That's where the distinction of Power 5 and Group of 5 came from, and why no G5 team gets into the CFP automatically.

When the question of "4 teams or 8?" was being discussed, the SEC made it clear that they expected a minimum of 2 teams in an 8-team field. The commissioners settled on a 4-team field because it is far easier to omit one conference champion from a field of 4 than to select multiple at-large teams in a field of 8 and listen to the SEC (and others) whine about almost-champions being omitted from a field of 8 and being forced to play in 'meaningless' bowl games.

The CFP is supposed to be about all of the nation's best teams, like the LLWS. It doesn't matter if the Far East wins 70% of the time, so long as all regions get a deserving team into the spotlight.

So by opting for a 4-team field, the commissioners thought they were preventing the SEC from their annual propagandathon about deserving extra spots. They underestimated the hubris of the SEC.

The fact this topic comes up every year doesn't demonstrate the superiority of the SEC as much as it shows the unwillingness of the media to accept the terms and conditions of existing contracts. When 4 Power conferences have champions that earn the right to play in the CFP, there is no existing caveat to omit one in favor of an undeserving no champion.

Oct 18, 2019, 11:09 PM

Rw43 Well stated(as usual)!

Lots of football left to play and a lot of talk going on for what might be a bunch of nothing if things don't go the way some of the contenders expect them to.

The thought of a 28 game win streak defending national champion being left out in the conversation I was having earlier today with some "brainwashed" SEC homers. "Strength of schedule" was brought up and I pulled up some of their big bad SEC teams SOS. They #### after that. The folks who have bought into the propaganda can't think beyond what analyst tell them RW43.

I was like: let's say for a second they had the gaul. Assuming CU was undefeated and the winners of 28 straight. Who would we play in the Orange bowl, I asked. Georgia, he said. I was like okay, so we smoke Georgia and become the winners of 29 straight and we end up ranked outside the top 4? Yes, he said. These people have lost their friggin minds.

I could imagine football fans from areas outside the SEC being all over that! Because honestly, "they would do the PAC 12 champ the same way"! Who can they play out there consistently enough in order to be considered "strong enough"? SEC lobbyst have done their jobs well. The system feeds itself and is self-sustaining. They rarely schedule outside the conference and line their OOC schedules with the sweetest cupcakes they can find. The teams within the conference are all so over-hyped that a loss is only going to drop them a few spots in the poll. Where as a team from a conference who does not have as many ranked teams - can't lose or have a bad game. Sports writers use flawed logic - well they lost to a ranked team! But, when they refuse to "unrank" sorry SEC teams - by default you will have a strong S.O.S.

RW43 do you get credit by the committee for where a team is ranked at the time of selection or where they were when "you played them"? I think Wake will still end up ranked. UVA too. Pitt is now 5-2 and played Penn St. well maybe they start getting some credit.

I think you made most of that up***

Oct 20, 2019, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Re: If Schedules.................. ]

Oct 18, 2019, 11:24 PM

So Clemson OOC schedule would have to be something like the following:

Florida
Michigan
Oregon
NC State
Wake
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Furman
South Carolina

You reckon that would be a strong enough schedule? Based on this year? Let's see: Michigan is always over-rated. UF is always talented - but seem not to play to their potential often. Oregon fumbles the ball at their own 6 to give you games. Good players but not a lot of depth for the Ducks.

Unless your OOC schedule is something like the above you literally will have this same thing every year! Clemson should not consider leaving the ACC to gain favor of the "football gurus"! Forget that - never compromise. The rest of the country would see the B.S. as much as any reasonable minded Clemson/ACC fan and join in the protest if some dumb-business was pulled. (Exclusion of a hopefully undefeated defending champion)!

Hoping Wake will get ranked again

Oct 20, 2019, 12:07 AM

Somehow the human "historical success" factor has to be taken out the rankings. I don't know how.

But, currently Wake is 6-1 and "not ranked"! They lost in a barn burner game that could have easily gone their way. Unfortunately, they aren't in the Big 10 or SEC where it would have been the case of: "two tough teams battling it out"!
Virginia 5-2
Virginia Tech 5-2
Pittsburgh 5-2
Duke is 4-3

Not bad so far!

Clemson and Wake are the best representatives so far in the Atlantic.

Clemson 7-0
Wake 6-1

I think Louisville wins 4 of it's next 5(UVA). I can easily see them finishing with 8 wins.

In short, not much you can do about the schedule - you play who is on it. But, it appears the "woeful" ACC is again better than people are making it out to be. Bowl season over the last 5 seasons suggest it isn't as well. Bowl season is better in my opinion b/c you won't have a team from the top of one conference getting wins over the bottom of another conference(probably).
All of this as well as the offense continuing to perform and execute more efficiently will make what teams Clemson has played conversation "null and void"! As they should never have come up given recent history!

Isn't the questioning

Oct 20, 2019, 12:14 AM

When you have beaten the two most successful programs over the last 7 years and won National Championships why would anyone question ( after all that who that team has played ). The same teams they played when they beat the most historical program(arguably) in CF - Notre Dame 30-3. The same teams they played prior to beating Saban and Bama by 28 and b/c of mercy it wasn't 35. Same Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. The same teams they played prior to giving multiple NC winning coach Urban Meyer and traditional powerhouse program Ohio State a "woodshed special" 31-0.

Isn't all of the talk going back to they wouldn't be able to compete b/c their schedule would not have prepared them?
When clearly it's been proven wrong time and time again. They scared of Clemson is my conclusion and don't want the Tigers to come to the party for fear they might take all the beer and flashy expensive things with them! And do so emphatically!

Oct 20, 2019, 9:26 AM

I think much like the 2016 election where something inconceivable for the media triggered irrational responses for over two years, what Clemson did to destroy an already written mythical Alabama team has sent them down more irrational paths to delegitimize Clemson than they could ever have imagined. They are absolutely sending 8 people out in 8 different directions searching for food to sustain their shrinking horde. Each one comes back with a more fanciful tale of why they didn’t find any. Meanwhile Dabo says bloom where you are planted and his garden is full and legitimate.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,611
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic