Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dispute the facts if you will, but here they are:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Dispute the facts if you will, but here they are:

Feb 4, 2019, 11:14 AM

Throughout ALL the years of their existence, the Carolina Panthers have STILL not EVER drafted a Clemson player. This cannot be purely coincidence. NFL people are about making money, so you would think that drafting a "local" talent every now and then would put more fannies in the seats, and more money in their pockets. But, Ole' JR always resisted the urge. For me personally, it is one of the reasons I have never been able to really get behind supporting the team. (That, and the fact that they screwed the state of South Carolina from the start, the stadium was originally supposed to be built in the Rock Hill border area, not Charlotte.) Also, Scam Newton. So, if they are not drafting Clemson players, where ARE they getting them from? Here are some of the powerhouse programs from which they have drafted talent instead of us, going from oldest draft to newest:

LA. Monroe
Fort Valley State
Southern University
East Carolina
New Mexico
Central Florida (This was back when UCF SUCKED, to put it mildly.)
Michigan Tech
UNLV
Pennsylvania
James Madison
Saginaw Valley State
Jackson State
Idaho
Sam Houston State
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Fresno State (Actually one of the better known names on the list)
Bentley College (Where Fivehead was supposed to go?)
Troy
Appalachian State
Central Connecticut State
Coastal Carolina
Mideastern State
Valdosta State
San Jose State
Texas State
Montana State
La. Tech
West Georgia
Western Michigan

Now, during this time, they have drafted 3 Coots and 4 UNC Tarholes (UNC has not exactly been a hotbed of talent lately either, excuse me MITCHELL Trubisky). But, lest the Coots try to crow about this, the Panthers have also selected 4 players from the REAL USC, Southern Cal. As far as what schools they have drafted the most, looks like a tie (with 5 each) between

Washington
Colorado
Ohio State
LSU
Miami
Georgia
Auburn

Along with Clemson, there are several other ACC schools that have been shut out, no players ever drafted:

Clemson
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Ga. Tech
Virginia

The only SEC school to get shut out, is, surprisingly, Florida.

Hopefully, with new ownership taking over, the Panthers may finally draft some Clemson talent to make them a winner. Only time will tell.

ps, all this information came from the Pro Football Reference website. It has a cool draft historian that you can manipulate to search just about any way you want.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly it's either to accept the fact that it's a

Feb 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

coincidence than the alternative.

The alternative is that Jerry Richardson had some vendetta against Clemson large enough that he put out a franchise-wide mandate that no Clemson player should ever be drafted by the Panthers even if that was to the detriment of the franchise, and he then managed to hold that over the heads of multiple head coaches and general managers. And despite this intense hatred of Clemson, they still signed some former Clemson players as free agents, including the notable Brenston Buckner.

Which makes more sense to you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*Easier to accept***

Feb 4, 2019, 11:23 AM

And that his son was a member of the 1981 national championship team

Feb 4, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Honestly it's either to accept the fact that it's a ]

And trustee of the University. I don't think they have a vendetta against the University. And chose for the inaugural season to be played at our home

It is odd that they have never drafted a Clemson player, although likely just has to do with them not having a Clemson player available to meet their need at their draft selection.

Re: And that his son was a member of the 1981 national championship team

Feb 4, 2019, 12:19 PM

"chose for the inaugural season to be played at our home"
if I remember correctly I believe Coot U had the first choice to have the games at Willy B. They chose not to.

Re: Dispute the facts if you will, but here they are:

Feb 4, 2019, 11:29 AM

Thanks for posting this and for doing the research. I agree with your arguments that it makes more sense to draft a few local that’d draw more fans. I probably would be a fan if they did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:32 AM

Its very easy to not be a Panthers fan. No Clemson players and Scam Newton as your QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:41 AM

So true !!!! Never been a fan of scam newton.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually rooted for them a little more back when old

Feb 4, 2019, 11:47 AM

Jake Dial-Home (Delhomme) was their QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Hearn still on the pratice squad?

Feb 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

Agree, that I would pay more attention to the Panthers if they drafted a few Clemson players over time.

Why else would I be watching Houston?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me, it wouldn't matter...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

as long a Scam Newton is their QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Scam will be done in a couple more years. Who knows, maybe

Feb 4, 2019, 11:51 AM

they tank enough to draft Trevor. You can bet there will be some sirius competition for the worst NFL record year after next. I think that is another poast altogether, and maybe I will do it now! Being re-tired has its benefits. :)

Lots of buzz today that they might shut Cam down for all

Feb 4, 2019, 12:14 PM

of next season while they try to repair his shoulder properly.

Hmm, they thinking he can pull an Andrew Luck?

Feb 4, 2019, 12:26 PM

Or, more likely, this would be a way to tank your way into getting Tua, or Justin Hebert with the No. 1 overall pick. Sorry, I just don't see Scam having the "want to" to rehab a shoulder for a whole year at this point in his career.

If Cam sucks as much as a lot of people around here seem

Feb 4, 2019, 2:07 PM

to think he does, the Panthers record shouldn't be nearly bad enough next year without him to "earn" the #1 overall pick.

Re: If Cam sucks as much as a lot of people around here seem

Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

But CAM does suck and I will never support them as long as he is on the team.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here on Atlanta sports radio, the conversation is the same

Feb 4, 2019, 12:22 PM

with UGA fans complaining about the Falcons never drafting their players. I wonder if Vanderbilt fans have the same complaints with the Titans as the Titans have never drafted a Commodore.

I thought for sure they'd draft Mackensie Alexander in 2016

Feb 4, 2019, 1:10 PM

They had traded Josh Norman to the Redskins and
needed DBs bad. They picked a DT in the first
round, but Mack was still available in the 2nd
when they picked. They passed on him for James
Bradberry of Samford. They picked 2 more corners
in the next couple of rounds.

While Bradberry has had better numbers so far, he
had more opportunity for earlier playing time since
Mack was behind more veterans. The point is, the
Panthers have had opportunities to pick Clemson
players to fit their needs that were probably as
good as the ones they picked, but for whatever
reason just haven't FOR TWENTY-FOUR YEARS.

For the NFL, putting more butts in seats is a function

Feb 4, 2019, 4:14 PM

of selling suites and PSLs... unless they create a pipeline of players from Clemson, drafting a player every 5 years won't accomplish this. Several Clemson players who went undrafted were offered UDFA contracts, some accepted and some did not. Ben Boulware accepted the contract for the tryout, but didn't stick.
I don't agree that there is some conspiracy to not draft a Clemson player. if the most they have drafted from one school in 24 years is 5 players (and bama is not a school listed with 5 draftees), it would appear to me that they have no favoritism towards a school. if there are 7 teams (6 ACC, 1 SEC and considered to primarily be local schools) with no draftees by the Panthers in 24 years, it also appears to me that there is no vendetta to not draft a player from a particular school...

why the obsession with who the Panthers draft? the easiest thing to do is to root against them and wish that they not ever draft a Clemson player since it has been 24 years... why continue to pine over the girl that has rejected you for 24 years?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 4:17 PM

Forgive me if germans but the Panthers did play in Death Valley year 1 and I think they let Boulware tryout for a spot on the practice team. Does seem like they would have nabbed some Tiger by now but something tells me that will change soon enough as many people as Coach Swinney is putting into the league.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic