Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
September 11 retrospect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

September 11 retrospect

Sep 11, 2014, 9:04 AM

I was a Clemson student when the planes struck the tower, I woke up shortly after the second plane hit and got a brief synopsis of what happened before I left for class. I'm glad Clemson didn't cancel classes as it seemed to be the popular thing to do.

I can't explain why but the entire ordeal left me with anxiety for at least the next 3 to 4 months.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that it happened 13 years ago makes me feel old.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:06 AM

It seems impossible that it was that long ago.

I was there at the light to turn on to Peremiter Rd

Sep 11, 2014, 9:07 AM

listening to WCCP.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was sitting in THIS chair, in THIS office

Sep 11, 2014, 9:09 AM

i must have been doing something productive since i didnt join Tnet until october 2002.

I was called to the break room and watched it on TV.

Your company doesn't have much upward mobility, does it?***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenr was taking a Calculus 20? exam that morning. Heard

Sep 11, 2014, 9:10 AM

about it, but didn't see anything until lunch. Glues to TV until midnight. A Friend of mine at Clemson's father was supposed to be at work there that morning, but wasn't. His family was shaken hard and he moved back home the next week. Never heard from him since.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: September 11 retrospect

Sep 11, 2014, 9:11 AM

I was living in San Francisco (because ghey), so by the time I woke up everything was already over. I was walking to class (art school because ghey) and popped into a bodega for a morning beverage. On the tv behind the counter they were talking about terrorism and a plane crash in PA. Didn't think much of it, paid, and kept walking to school. Then I ran into one of my classmates and she was like, "Go home, school's canceled." I asked why and she said, "Terrorism." I lulzed and took a couple steps before I bumped into my instructor who said, "Seriously, go home." Went home, turned on tv...

I was a first semester Freshman, and just got back to my

Sep 11, 2014, 9:12 AM

dorm after my 8:00 class.

Didn't do anything the rest of the day cept watch coverage.

Re: I was a first semester Freshman, and just got back to my

Sep 11, 2014, 10:52 AM

I was a first semester Freshman as well. Was still asleep for the first plane, but my roommate came back from his 8:00 class and turned on the TV. I remember sitting up and watching as the second plane hit. I had a noonish English class that met for 10 minutes, but that was it.

I was in middle school

Sep 11, 2014, 9:17 AM

every single teacher had the TV turned to the news. Not sure it's a good idea to show that footage to 12 year olds for 6 straight hours, but also glad I wasn't shielded from it.

I was teaching Middle School***

Sep 11, 2014, 1:50 PM

Re: I was in middle school

Sep 11, 2014, 5:46 PM [ in reply to I was in middle school ]

I was too. Eighth grade, Gettys Middle School in Easley. I was in second period, math class for me, when they made the announcement and the rest of the day was spent watching CNN.

I too was a student at Clemson.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:19 AM

I was sitting in Harcombe (by definition you know where I was soon thereafter).

Anyway, It certainly was interesting that Clemson went on as usual that day. THE ONLY Professor who mentioned the incident was one of my Engineering Professors, named Muhammad, who offered a prayer. It was quite moving. My other presumably Judeo-Christian and/or atheist professors said not a word.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Classes went on like normal for me as well

Sep 11, 2014, 9:20 AM

we had a brief discussion about it in a couple of classes but nothing more than 5 minutes

my workplace evacuated probably a dozen times that week

Sep 11, 2014, 9:21 AM

due to thoughts we were getting ready to be attacked. I worked at an airport. Everyone was on edge.

I worked 24 hours that day helping travelers suddenly landing who didn't know what the heck was going on. When all the planes were immediately grounded by the FAA, they landed at the nearest airport available according to wherever they were in the air. Folks landing in a random city they hadn't planned on, unaware of what was going on (they sure didn't tell them while they were on the plane). Unfortunately for them, they were going to stuck for the next 5 days wherever they landed. And if you remember, rental cars were unavailable, as they had already all been rented by the on-ground travelers whose flights were cancelled. Many people had to have relatives drive thousands of miles to come get them.

Then all airports were closed, shut down for the rest of the week. Completely empty. On of my most vivid memories of that time is walking through the terminal of one of the biggest airports in the USA in the middle of the day BY MYSELF. Not a soul around anywhere.

What a crazy week.

My dad was telling me how weird it was flying again right

Sep 11, 2014, 9:26 AM

after they started again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

My Dad was in an airplane flying over the Naval Academy..

Sep 11, 2014, 9:28 AM

while it was happening. They landed in Baltimore where he was headed anyway.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first flight after that was late September.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:29 AM [ in reply to My dad was telling me how weird it was flying again right ]

There were 6 people on board counting the crew. There were many flights over those next couple months where the flight attendants had to rearrange where people sat to balance the weight of the plane.

another aviation story from that week

Sep 11, 2014, 9:42 AM

this was never reported widely, but most of the top administrative personnel from the USA and world's largest airports were all in Montreal for a huge conference when 9/11 happened.

I know at my airport, our Pres and all VPs but 1 (who stayed back just in case of emergency) were out of the freaking country. And they were STUCK there, just like everybody else. No exceptions to an FAA grounding. So we had to operate through the highest security alert in aviation history without our leaders around. This would have been at almost every airport of note in the country.

Our top brass were eventually able to find a rental car and drive nearly 1500 miles back home, all 5 of them in one car. By then it was Saturday and things had calmed somewhat - they missed all the "fun".

I had no idea. I'm guessing there wasn't much to manage.***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:51 AM

other than 5000 stranded passengers with no place to go, no

Sep 11, 2014, 10:04 AM

trying to feed, comfort, and make living arrangements for these people who were dropped in our lap. People calling, hunting their families. Not everybody had a cellphone back then. The airlines were just overwhelmed.

All the time with false alarms for suspicious packages, vehicles, and planes going off nearly every hour. I remember a farmer's cropduster sighted in the area causing us to have to hustle every human in the building out onto the tarmac.

But after the first day, that calmed tremendously.

One of the jobs I had was going to every restaurant in the entire airport and confiscating all the silverware, as it was not allowed past the checkpoint anymore. It was just anarchy for about 3-4 days.

Coincidence? I don't think so....***

Sep 12, 2014, 4:03 AM [ in reply to another aviation story from that week ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I flew to Chicago the 2nd day that flights started back...

Sep 11, 2014, 9:43 AM [ in reply to My dad was telling me how weird it was flying again right ]

was very quiet on the airplane and it was maybe 1/4 full.

Every time anyone got out of their seat to use the bathroom, everyone watched them.

There was one arab looking guy on board and that guy got the big-eye from everyone for the whole flight. He wisely stayed in his seat reading a magazine the whole time!

I remember the meeting I had was very high up in one of the large building in downtown Chicago. I was giving a presentation and standing at the front of the room. The back of the room was solid windows and I could see all of the planes flying around the city and it was very unsettling. I rushed through that meeting and got the heck out of there.

We were scheduled to fly to Vegas the next week.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to my workplace evacuated probably a dozen times that week ]

We canceled our whole trip.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in high school government class whenever the

Sep 11, 2014, 9:22 AM

first one hit. Teacher turned on the TV and we just watched in shock. Then went to the next class where that teacher just had the TV on and watched the second hit. It was all surreal, the bell would ring to change classes, didn't hear a word in the school, everybody just went heads down to the next class and watched the coverage.

When Flight 77 hit the Pentagon was where some chaos ensued since I went to high school in a county adjacent to DC. Loudspeaker kept going off as students were picked up to go home.

Friend of mine's uncle died in the Pentagon. My dad was a couple blocks away from the explosion. Another friend of mine's brother was watching from a rooftop a couple blocks away in NYC when the second tower hit.

Everything about that day is so surreal. Was an awful day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What HS did you go to?

Sep 11, 2014, 12:25 PM

I went to West Potomac in Fairfax County.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was about to head to work at IBM.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:23 AM

Went back inside and watched on tv for a bit after I heard about it on radio, then headed to work. I remember the internet didn't work very well that day. Most news sites were overloaded.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in Indiantown FL.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:24 AM

In a crappy hotel room that had no regular alarm clock. The night before I found that I could set the TV to turn on at a certain time, so I set it to turn on NBC at 9. (Client didn't want me on site until mid-day).

I woke up 8:30ish and was watching sportscenter when the TV changed the channel by itself at 9 to NBC. Matt Lauer was just starting to report on what was happening. He was in disbelief and kept saying it was a Cessna sized plane. The second plane hit, and he still couldn't believe what he was seeing, (neither could I) and seemed to act like it still an accident.

I called my wife. I called my parents. I went to work. I couldn't get the images of the jumpers out of my mind. Worked the rest of the week, but couldn't fly home because there were no flights. I drove from south Florida to Greenville in the rental (Volvo S40) through Tropical Storm Gabrielle. I remember every detail. I sometimes wish I didn't.

lucky you already had a rental car, you would have been SOL***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:29 AM

Hertz had upgraded me to the Volvo that Monday night.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:41 AM

I remember the client being really pissed off that I had a "nice" car. He thought it was going to cost him more. It was a good car to have to drive through a tropical storm on an empty highway at 100+ mph. I was, and am, very thankful I had it.

"nice"

Wow, what a client. Aren't direct billings discussed

Sep 11, 2014, 11:03 AM

and contracted beforehand anyway?

Working for AIMCO in Greenville, SC at One Liberty Square

Sep 11, 2014, 9:28 AM

across from the Hyatt hotel. I remember after the first plane hit, no one really knew what was going on, just that a plane had hit the tower. Remember news reports that it could have been a crop duster type plane. Then footage started coming out, and then the 2nd plane hit, and it was all "Holy Sh!t"

MauldinT, where are you???

For some reason I have memory of e-mail with your wife...

Sep 11, 2014, 10:53 AM

that day and that's how I learned about it. Maybe we were planning an upcoming Clemson game or Octoberfest or something.

Octoberfest??? What's that?***

Sep 11, 2014, 12:29 PM

It's that thing we used to do before we had kids and stuff***

Sep 11, 2014, 2:25 PM

I was interning that semester and got turnt the night before

Sep 11, 2014, 9:30 AM

Called in sick that morning, and my roommates woke me up when everything happened. We sat around all day and watched then news.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was in bed at my gfs (now wife) place at Clemson and I overheard her say

Sep 11, 2014, 9:31 AM

that places hit the WTC. I turned over and thought she was crazy. Then I woke up about 30 minutes later and found out I was wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I played River Falls that day....

Sep 11, 2014, 9:32 AM

Nothing was going to happen at work and it was a beautiful day in the Upstate...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I was in my office.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:34 AM

Thinking about how I had been at the Top Of The World restaurant in the tower having drinks a month before.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WAY TO MAKE IT ABOUT YOU***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:35 AM

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2014, 10:09 AM

I wasn't sure which direction was best in emphasizing just how close America came to losing me.

My wife and I ate there August 10th.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:44 AM [ in reply to I was in my office. ]

Stayed at the Marriott around the corner that is no longer there. I hate this day.

Was in my office planning get on a plane to Ohio.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 AM

LOL! Who wants to go to Ohio????

So, you were jelly?***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:39 AM

Totally jelly.

I was so looking forward to my trip to Sandusky County, frickin', Ohio.

Have a friend that worked in the 2nd tower.

The second plane would have hit her in the ear had she been there that day, but she was on a plane to Kentucky for work.

I have a friend that was late to work @ the WTC for the 1st

Sep 11, 2014, 9:50 AM

time in 20 years. He watched the whole thing go down from the ferry.

Also, old family friends' son (who I never knew) started his first day on the job w/ NYPD THAT morning, stationed in the NYPD sub station in the WTC basement. He didn't make it out

Is that Martha?***

Sep 11, 2014, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Have a friend that worked in the 2nd tower. ]

Had just flown back from our honeymoon the night before

Sep 11, 2014, 9:45 AM

late night flight from Hawaii getting in to the west coast. Woke up to my mom calling to tell me what happended and flipped on the news just in time to see the second plane hit.

Then got a call from my First Seergeant...whole base went into THREATCON Delta and we started ramping up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was at work and my boss told me about the first crash.

Sep 11, 2014, 9:45 AM

We couldn't imagine what caused a plane to crash into a building....
When the 2nd and 3rd planes crashed reports and rumors began to surface.

It wasn't until I got home that I learned it was an islamic terrorist attack.

It was hard to get a grip on why someone would want to do that.
Certainly not who I expected and attack from either.

yeah...I assumed it was Mexico at first, too***

Sep 11, 2014, 9:52 AM

HUH???

Sep 11, 2014, 9:55 AM

The obvious inference was that it was CANADA!!! I mean, Canada is right there, near Boston, and stuff, eh?

THOSEBASTARDSDONOTWANTUSTOHAVETHEIRBACON.***

Sep 11, 2014, 10:11 AM

You know...

Sep 11, 2014, 1:02 PM

we SAVED their #### bacon in WW2, the least they could do is share.

I was in 8th grade...

Sep 11, 2014, 10:03 AM

We were changing classes when it happened, and I remember seeing my math teacher crying on the floor(which was not uncommon for that crazy lady), then seeing the T.V. Quite frankly, I really didn't understand the gravity of the situation at that time, but I have hated Islam every since.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First semester at Clemson

Sep 11, 2014, 10:44 AM

Had Chem 101 at 8 in Hunter and Calc in Martin at 9:30. Didn't know anything about it until I got to Martin and people were saying it was an accident and it was a small plane. I didn't find out what was really going on until I got back to Byrnes after Calc. My only other class was an english class at 4:40 so I watched the news all day while talking sporadically to family back home. In english class we had a 15 min discussion about the days events then he sent us home. I'll always remember that day vividly.

I was a high school student near DC

Sep 11, 2014, 12:18 PM

Somebody came into the room and told my teacher to turn the TV on because a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. At that time, nobody was sure if it was terrorism or just a plane that had gone off track. Then the second plane hit the other tower, and we all knew it was an orchestrated attack.

Of course, at that point nobody was teaching anymore and we were just watching the TVs trying to figure out what was going on. It was probably around an hour later that there were reports that a plane had hit the Pentagon- just a few miles away- and that's when people started getting a little panicky. A lot of the kids at the school's parents worked in DC or at the Pentagon, so there were a lot people worried about the safety of their family. To prevent too much disruption, the principal decided that nobody would be allowed to use cell phones, which of course didn't help anything. I can't remember if they let school out early that day or not, but everybody was pretty scared about what could happen next.

It did turn out that one student's father was killed at the Pentagon, but we were lucky that more people weren't affected. There were a couple of stories I heard from people who started coming to church after 9/11 about how they'd left that wing of the Pentagon to go get something just before the attack, or about how they'd been late to work that day.

The other thing I really remember was the feeling of anger that a lot of people felt just after that second plane hit and we knew it was terrorism (even though we didn't know who'd done it yet). Part of me felt sorry for the people on whom we were going to let our anger out.

Something else that just came back to me was that this particular class usually took a field trip to the WTC every year. Kinda crazy to think about.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Message was edited by: camcgee®

I was on a plane the night of Sept 10

Sep 11, 2014, 12:35 PM

landed in Savannah at midnight.

I was driving to work and listening.............

Sep 11, 2014, 12:52 PM

to the Howard Stern show. Apparently, their studio had a front row seat and full view of the towers. As Howard was speaking on the air Baba Booey (I think) interrupted him and said something to the effect that a plane just ran into the side of the trade center building and it was on fire. They, like so many others, at first thought it was an accident. When they said shortly thereafter that another one did too.....we knew!

I was listening to Stern on the way to work

Sep 11, 2014, 1:01 PM

...got out of the car and walked up to the office. It happened in that <1 minute timespan. We listened to Stern in the office every morning, and my coworkers asked me if 'this was a joke', and I had no idea what they were talking about

Re: September 11 retrospect

Sep 11, 2014, 1:33 PM

I was driving into Greenville. I was turning right off 123 onto Washington Avenue. And the radio went from John Boy and Billy to "We are just getting a reports of a fire at the World Trade Center. And Whatever has happened... has just happened."

I spent the next few hours with my girlfriend.

I was supposed to go to class that night at Greenville Tech. When I got there; all my classmates were there. We always showed up. Anyway... My Instructor said "I don't know if you feel like learning right now... but I don't feel like teaching." And then we he lead us in a prayer. And In know Greenville Tech isn't a religious school. But we all needed that then. And then we all went home.

I was at work in ATL. High drama early that morning as we

Sep 11, 2014, 1:48 PM

had finally fired our long-time drunk, coke snorting production manager and escorted him to the parking lot.

Soon after that the first plane hit and people started talking about it. I was so wrapped up in our little drama that I just ignored them, actually got annoyed with them worrying about a little plane wreck in NYC.

Soon after that the 2nd one hit, and it wasn't long after that we were all huddled around the crappy little black and white portable TB that somebody found in a closet.

As they landed all of the planes and were trying to figure out if they were all accounted for, I started getting worried about how close we were to the CDC, which might make a nice target.

#ACCFTS

I was a sophomore at Clemson

Sep 11, 2014, 5:50 PM

My room mate came upstairs and told me a plane had hit World Trade Center. I assumed it was some sort of prop plane. I came down stairs just in time to see the second plane hit. It was surreal.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic