Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My son's trying to get me into
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

My son's trying to get me into

Apr 13, 2019, 5:19 PM

hockey. Watching the Canes and the Caps in n the first round of the playoffs. He's yelling like I do during Clemson games and it's kinda fun to watch. Anyone else into hockey?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My son's trying to get me into

Apr 13, 2019, 5:35 PM

Yes. Long time season ticket holder for Canes. Been yelling right along with your son. We bought tickets to several games the first year the Canes were in Raleigh. Wife got hooked just like me and started getting season tickets the next year. The 2006 season when we won the Stanley Cup was out of this world. For game seven the fans stood for the whole game and we were tagged as the loudest house in the league. Compsrable to Death Valley, noise wise.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I travel up to Canada all the time ...

Apr 13, 2019, 5:35 PM

and I've never been able to get into it at all.

Those Canucks sure do live for it, though.

I think hockey is just as boring as soccer. I mean, play a whole game for a 0-0 tie? No thanks. Give me 44-16 or 30-3 or 56-7 any day.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Re: I travel up to Canada all the time ...

Apr 13, 2019, 5:56 PM

A 0-0 tie hasn’t been possible in hockey since 1999 when they added OT. In regular season games, they also added a shootout when the game hasn’t been decided in OT. For the playoffs, they play as many OT’s as it takes (no shootouts). Sixty-five goals have been scored so far in 12 playoff games and that doesn’t include today’s CAR-WSH game where it’s 3-3 right now. So that’s an average of about 6 goals per game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I travel up to Canada all the time ...Oh 31-0

Apr 13, 2019, 6:56 PM [ in reply to I travel up to Canada all the time ... ]

is a nice score too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2019, 8:30 PM [ in reply to I travel up to Canada all the time ... ]

Hockey games are rarely that low scoring. The average is probably around 4-3, much higher than soccer. There are also FARRRR more shots on goal which makes it significantly more exciting. Plus they actually fight and not a constant flop fest like soccer and NBA and Bentley.

Apr 14, 2019, 8:13 AM [ in reply to I travel up to Canada all the time ... ]

The big difference I’ve found between hockey and soccer, even if low scoring, is that in hockey there is always the feeling that someone CAN score. Soccer I always feel like nobody is going to score. Hockey, especially playoff hockey, just keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Apr 13, 2019, 5:36 PM

I’ve been into hockey since the 1980 Miracle on Ice. It’s my favorite professional sport.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2019, 5:58 PM

Hockey is great! Watching live is one of the best sports to take in. Love playoff time.

Two sports that aren't good on TV and hockey is one.

Apr 13, 2019, 6:17 PM

The other is baseball. Reason for it, if you only watch the puck or ball you'll miss how the game is played. Most of what is going on passes by without the viewer knowing it. When it's live you can see the left fielder move into his backup spot for a pitch out to third or a pick off move to first with a man on second base. It's complicated until you see the positions explained then the entire field comes to life on every pitch.

Hockey has the same conditions on the ice. It's wonderful if you study the positions just a bit then watch the pros execute but it's out of the world when high schoolers or younger play it and mess up if you know what they did wrong. People who only see those two sports on TV are clueless to the true entertainment of those events.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2019, 8:53 PM

Nope . Southerner with no feel for the game nor the inclination to learn it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Best overall athletes I've ever watched . . .

Apr 14, 2019, 4:31 AM

played hockey!!! It is unreal what they can do . . . On ice . . . With a stick . . . Skating backwards . . . absolutely unreal!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2019, 4:48 AM

I got into the sport as a kid. We lived in Vegas and had a new kid move on the block. He had us playing roller hockey within the first couple weeks of being there. I took his team on as mine (Vancouver) until it was announced Vegas was getting a team. From that moment they became my one and only.

Absolutely!

Apr 14, 2019, 6:57 AM

Several sports wrapped in to one:
Basketball-putting it in the net to score
Football-the hitting, the playmaking
Boxing-the fighting
Soccer-obvious reasons

This is all done by 6 ft (and taller) guys on ice skates! With only 1 timeout per game (there are TV TOs though)!

Go Caps!

Message was edited by: smitty1959®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Apr 14, 2019, 7:44 AM

Never cared about hockey growing up in the South (even though the Flames were in Atlanta for a while) until I moved to the Chicago area. In my early 30s that changed when the company I was working for gave me tickets to take some clients to a Blackhawks game.
I knew nothing about hockey and they were loyal Blackhawk fans. I knew the guys well and one took the time to give me the basic rules about off sides, icing and 2 line passing. From there I was hooked.

Unless you ever tried to ice skate and can remember what it's like the first time you try, it's hard to appreciate how talented NHL players are.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic