Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I remember when Dabo got the job and I was not happy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

I remember when Dabo got the job and I was not happy

Oct 30, 2018, 7:49 PM

I was very skeptical and wondered why we didn’t go after a big name guy that had proven himself as a head coach...

Boy was I wrong. I hope Dabo stays at Clemson forever, and I hope that if we have less than stellar years that people will remember how he leads this program with integrity and class, and how he develops his players into better football players, and more importantly, better men.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold***

Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold***

Oct 30, 2018, 7:53 PM

ME TOO !!!!

Go Tigers !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember hearing his first interview on Primetime with the Packman

Oct 30, 2018, 7:55 PM [ in reply to As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold*** ]

And after the interview was over and Dabo hung up the phone, Mark Packer pauses and said “That guy’s the real deal.”

Re: As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold***

Oct 30, 2018, 7:56 PM [ in reply to As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold*** ]

He had me at hello!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to As soon as I heard Dabo's first speach, I was sold*** ]

I'd seen a man run our program that I truly believed was satisfied with less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember when Dabo got the job and I was not happy

Oct 30, 2018, 8:08 PM

Yep. I am guilty of that as well. I was hoping for Frank Beamer back then. Glad nobody listened to me. LOL

Oct 30, 2018, 8:11 PM

I also remember when they hired Dabo, and I thought it was a mistake. Now here is where I might differ from many. I think based on what was known at that time it was a mistake that worked out well. If a hurricane is headed for your house, and they have a mandatory evacuation, and you evacuate and get killed in an auto accident, but the house survives that does not make leaving a mistake. Staying would be a bad decision that works out well. There is no possible way to really have known it would go this well. So I actually think it was a mistake, but a mistake I'm glad they made. In reality, Clemson was a dumpster fire then, so we likely could not get a big name coach. Sometimes such things conspire to push you in a direction you don't want to go, but winds up best.

That's just stupid.

Oct 30, 2018, 10:59 PM

Thankfully, we had an AD that recognized leadership qualities, character, strength of conviction, passion and vision. Did I mention the ability to sell truth like none other. Oh, and he knew football really well too.

It wasn't a bad decision them and it certainly turned out to be brilliant.

That's all I've got.

Oct 30, 2018, 8:18 PM

The guy made a really good first impression on me.

Terry Don made one of the great choices of all time.

Oct 30, 2018, 8:21 PM

My wife looked up at me after his speech and said he’s gonna be a legend. No lie.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember when we lost to that horrendous Maryland

Oct 30, 2018, 8:21 PM

Team in 2009? Dabo must have had his lowest approval rating ever after that game. What % still wanted him as coach then? 10% maybe?

So glad we stuck with him

No doubt, you were one of a host, including me.***

Oct 30, 2018, 8:44 PM

Oct 30, 2018, 8:46 PM

I remember googling Dabo as soon as he was named interim, and then saying to a lot of people who wanted an established coach, "I don't care. I hope he does well. I like him."

Oct 30, 2018, 8:47 PM

You guys ever watch Dabo on tbe sideline during games when he was WR coach? I did, I couldn't hear what he was saying, but he looked and acted more like a HC than the HC did. It didn't surprise me in the least when he was named interim or when they removed the interim tag at the end of the season.

Oct 30, 2018, 9:28 PM

You know, it is unlikely Dabo or anyone else will ever match Saban's record, but I had rather have Dabo than 2 Saban's. Bama might have success, but neither Saban nor any of the Bama players look like they are enjoying it as much. The Clemson players and Dabo all look like they are having a blast. That also makes watching them fun, and that is likely why that defense all returned for the experience. Even if we never win as many NC trophies, Clemson is enjoying the journey more than Bama ever has. Life is too short to not enjoy the ride, even if it is on the ROY bus.

Re: Clemson & Dabo look like they are having a blast.

Oct 30, 2018, 10:51 PM

I was glad they named all the coaches' sons during the game, but what really said family was when Will was tackled, and they cut away to his Dad & his roommate laughing together on the sidelines.

I was optimistic

Oct 31, 2018, 9:40 AM

I was okay with the firing of Bowden. I was beyond frustrated with the inconsistency week after week, even though there had been a big upgrade from Tommy West, recruiting and movement towards facilities.

More than anything, I wanted to see us play with consistent effort each game.

When Dabo fired Spence as his first move, I think he built some credibility immediately. Then, when he fired Napier, and ultimately Kevin Steele, I knew he was making the right calls. Of course, along the way, his character and vision won me over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was optimistic

Oct 31, 2018, 3:15 PM

Friggin' Spence, giving up first downs on 3rd and 21. Seemed like it happened every game. Good for the first two downs, then give up a big play on 3rd. So glad when Dabo made the move to fire him.

Oct 30, 2018, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I remember when Dabo got the job and I was not happy ]

LOL....I never thought about it like that but you're right.....they do look pretty miserable at Bama don't they? And has Saban ever had a good day? He's angry every time he says something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2018, 1:25 AM

LOL....I never thought about it like that but you're right.....they do look pretty miserable at Bama don't they? And has Saban ever had a good day? He's angry every time he says something.

Why? Ain't Dabo 20 years younger? Saban's record 20 y.a?

Oct 31, 2018, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I remember when Dabo got the job and I was not happy ]

20 years ago?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when Dabo got the job and Tommy Bowden

Oct 31, 2018, 10:11 AM

was fired I was giddy as a schoolgirl. FINALLY, FINALLY we got rid of that scum.

In year 1 of Dabo full time, I was skeptical of his offensive strategy and wild overuse of trick plays, but I noticed his recruiting and said way back then that if he could be like Bobby Bowden and just be the CEO and get good coordinators in here, then he'd be very successful.

I've always thought he did a great job at recruiting and I've always liked the defensive coaches he's had and their strategies. Offense... well that's another story. His coordinators have had way too much tendency to move the ball laterally and to use slow developing plays, and I still am not a fan of that. Hopefully that will continue to improve. The NC State game was an awesome offensive display in my opinion.

But really those are the little details. After Dabo won the ACC championship I was sold on his ability to be the CEO and after the National Championship I figure Dabo has the right to be our coach until he wants to stop.

Aren't you the guy that whined about wanting Paul Johnson ?

Oct 31, 2018, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the revisionist history, maybe no one else here will remember your diatribes.

2 years before we finally fired Tammy, and before we signed

Oct 31, 2018, 10:20 AM

the dumbest contract extension in sports history, I was saying on here that we needed a new coach and the best option at that time was Paul Johnson. That was then, this is now. The window of opportunity for that to work passed. I also said, when GT hired him, that Paul Johnson would lead GT to win an ACCCG before Tammy Bowden would lead Clemson to win one. I was right.

Clemson is not GT, we naturally are more attractive. At that time we weren't getting the best recruits from all over the country. We had a lot of local talent that was running the triple option in high school that wasn't being recruited because they didn't fit with the spread offenses. All of that changed. It was a good idea then, and Paul Johnson beat Tommy Bowden to an ACC title, just like I said.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suL9mmkI0ek

I was on board after I saw him at this presser. The rest is history.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic