Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2018 Basketball Recruiting Summary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

2018 Basketball Recruiting Summary

Feb 25, 2018, 5:21 PM

There have been a lot of posts lately about our "bad basketball recruiting" with further references to Brownell not being a good recruiter. I know it probably won't change anyone's mind, but in the interest of objectivity, here are our 2018 recruits:

Signed LOI:
-John Newman III, SG, 6'6" 180, 4-star by ESPN. Other offers included Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, Cincinnati, and Providence, among others.
-Hunter Tyson, SF, 6'7" 190, 4-star by ESPN. Other offers included Michigan, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Butler, and Providence, among others.

Committed:
-Trey Jemison, PF, 6'11" 230, 4-star by ESPN. Other offers include Stanford, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, among others.

We are also recruiting:
-Courtney Ramey, PG, 6'3" 170, 5-star by Scout and 4-star by ESPN. Also offered by Louisville, Ohio State, Texas, Wake Forest, Illinois, Marquette, Purdue, Texas A&M, and Cincinnati, among others.
-Tyler Harris, PG, 5'10" 155, 4-star by ESPN. Also offered by Wichita State, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Baylor, among others.

The two signees are both very good prospects. No, they did not choose us over Duke, UNC, and Kentucky, but they did choose us over other good programs - all of which have a much better basketball tradition, administrative support, and fan interest than we do historically. Moreover, the two players address needs: Newman is a shooting guard, and replaces DeVoe, while Tyson is a small forward, and replaces Grantham. It is always great to get highly rated players who also address team needs.

As we have discussed in other posts, we need another PG since Mitchell is a senior next year and Trapp is our only other true PG on the team. The two we are recruiting for 2018 are highly desired, and we would love to get either one of them.

What we see with Clemson's recruiting now, compared to previously, is not only a notable improvement in the level of player we recruit and sign, but also a widening geographic footprint of the players who are interested in us. We might not have gotten Zion, but we are getting better players over the last few recruiting cycles. I expect that to continue as the current prospects have known about our new facilities for couple of years now and see that we are a legitimate contender at or near the top of the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Summary

Feb 25, 2018, 5:29 PM

basketball recruiting is not covered with the depth and detail of football recruiting in most cases. good summary there, judge

history tells us BB will take a hard look at the transfer/grad market. Been told by 'someone close to the program" that we are looking a a couple foreign kids and that one highly regarded junior (not mcgowen) that we are involved with is looking at reclassifying to the this class.

will there be attrition? again, history says there will be. would not be surprised to see this be a 5 man class.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that we will take a transfer if we identify one

Feb 25, 2018, 5:33 PM

we think can help us. It has proven to be a great strategy for us, as Mitchell, Reed, Thomas, Donnal, and Skara all play valuable roles on this year's team.

I expect to see at least one transfer from this year's team, if not a couple. Transferring is a reality of today's college basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree that we will take a transfer if we identify one

Feb 26, 2018, 6:49 PM

Wasn't there something on here a few weeks ago about the NCAA making it easier for BB players to transfer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A couple comments and a question.

Feb 25, 2018, 5:38 PM

1. It's obvious that recruiting is getting way better.

2. Great to see we still have a shot with a quality PG. It's such a huge need.

3. Why does Jemison sign later than the other two?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are two signing periods for college basketball.

Feb 25, 2018, 6:10 PM

Early signing period was November 8-15, 2017. Regular signing period is April 11-May 16, 2018.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

Jemison is firm to us and will sign in April.

Re: There are two signing periods for college basketball.

Feb 25, 2018, 6:16 PM

All great points . Thank you for the post . It is improving and I think the team has gotten better . I still think recruiting could get better . I would love to see a 5 star or a top 20 overall class .

I would prefer 4 stars over one and done 5 stars, I like to

Feb 25, 2018, 6:27 PM

see players develop, like our present team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly*****

Feb 25, 2018, 6:34 PM

Me too. As long as there is the one and done rule

Feb 25, 2018, 7:23 PM [ in reply to I would prefer 4 stars over one and done 5 stars, I like to ]

I would prefer taking guys who we can coach and see improvement in over 3-4 years. There are very few outstanding freshmen players who can truly help teams. Even the five star guys usually have a lot of developing to do, as evidenced by Kentucky having a disappointing year this year. Yet a lot of those guys will still go pro after just one season. It’s a risk to put all of your eggs in the one and done players if you want program success and continuity.

Don’t get me wrong, you take some of those guys if you can get them, but for every Marvin Bagley who averages 20/10 there are many other five stars who aren’t going to produce like that as a freshman.

I played a round of golf with a University of Fla...

Feb 25, 2018, 7:32 PM

assistant basketball coach who was there under Billy D. Anyway, he said their main goal was to get the recruits that would stay longer so they were more physically mature than the 1 and done teams. They had their Donnel Harvey's and what not, but that's not how they did things overall. Anyway, I agree with you.

Feb 25, 2018, 7:41 PM

Great posts Judge. What I appreciate about this post is that it is backed by solid data. Thanks for posting.

Rivals ranks this class 8th in the ACC and 54th

Feb 25, 2018, 8:05 PM

overall.

Recruiting rankings are not always accurate, and I know that even to the extent that they are accurate, they still don't definitively tell the whole story. I totally get that. My only point here is that our "improved" recruiting is still only mid pack at best in our own conference.

In no way am I attempting to refute anything you have said; in fact, I agree with it almost entirely. In no way is this a criticism of coach Brownell, who I think has done an amazing job with this team. I'm very proud of this team and our coach, and am excited to see how far we can go. I am simply pointing out the reality of where we are specifically with regards to recruiting, and the ongoing challenge we face in that regard.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree, we want it to continue to improve.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:04 PM

Thus far, Brownell has shown an ability to get the most out of his players and coach them up. It stands to reason that middle of the pack talent should equal at least a middle of the pack team, if not higher. That should be enough to be an NCAA Tournament team consistently.

Of course, this doesn't count the potential impact of transfers. If you look at our current roster, transfers have played a huge role: Mitchell, Reed, Thomas, Donnal, and Skara. Those guys don't count toward recruiting rankings, but are definitely the result of recruiting by our coaching staff.

I expect that our recruiting of high school players will continue to improve. We are almost to the point where guys we have been recruiting for a few years will have seen our new facilities for the entirety of their recruitment. That is significant. Plus, our success this year, which will hopefully continue, will help sway recruits our way.

I am cautiously optimistic, but it's about results and

Feb 25, 2018, 9:50 PM

nothing else. Only time will tell, and the improvement must be quick and steady at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 25, 2018, 8:22 PM

Just reviewed the Crystal Ball summaries for both point guards and we have some ground to make up. Brownell and staff have lately managed to locate a good transfer so I hope we gain a quality point guard and an inside presence from potential transfers. This obviously would mean losing two current players, but we need immediate depth with good experience for next season.

The incoming freshmen can clearly contribute, but their learning curve would be less stressful.
I trust our staff is well on their way to attracting what they have identified beyond freshmen, but we will gain from the NCAA exposure and continued national ranking. Harris is a top prospect for Memphis, but Tubby Smith is on “thin ice” so we could get Harris by default.

Go Tigers!

Feb 25, 2018, 8:35 PM

Excellent overview and we are actually doing much better than I thought as well. I believe Coach Brownell does a decent job of developing talent as well. Hope Thomas and Simms show great progress next year. Believe both are very talented. Reid should be unstoppable!

Nice overview. Even without Zion this '18 class follows the

Feb 25, 2018, 8:50 PM

steady elevation that CBB has been into in bringing players here. We'll have at least one more to add before it's over via whatever route.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On rivals they are all 3 stars

Feb 25, 2018, 9:06 PM

Just as fyi

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went with ESPN because I feel that they do a good job.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:07 PM

Plus that is what people around here tout when bragging about football recruiting classes.

Best way to judge any recruit is their offer list

Feb 25, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to On rivals they are all 3 stars ]

That's what has ticked up recently. We're getting players who have legitimate offers from some excellent high major programs. Same last year with Simms and William. Oliver would have had far more offers had he not committed so early

TU - info plus optimism***

Feb 25, 2018, 9:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a big fan of speculating on potential transfers

Feb 25, 2018, 9:24 PM

bit one guy seems likely to me. Doubt it's two at this point. If someone does transfer, that leaves room for two additions. I've thought for a while we could see a PG with multiple years of eligibility come in, who may sit the year, but would be there to battle Trapp once Mitchell leaves. If someone does transfer I think we'd look to add a grad transfer as well, likely a bigger body

Just to add regarding our signees:

Feb 25, 2018, 9:41 PM

1. Johnny Newman led his team, Greensboro Day, to it's 3rd straight NC Independent School 3A State Championship when they beat a nationally ranked, Top 25, team who had both a Maryland and a Wake Forest commit. Newman led all scorers in the title game with 24 points and was named MVP.
2. Hunter Tyson ended his HS career with 39 points in a losing effort in the first round of the NC 3A public school tournament. Tyson ended his career as the leading scorer in Union County history. Shelton Mitchell played HS ball in Union County.

Hunter Tyson's film looks like he will be a great one.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:45 PM

He just needs to mature and get stronger, but looks very talented. I feel great about him.

What's clear is that Brad is intentionally looking

Feb 25, 2018, 10:42 PM

to increase length on the wings. Since forever we've always had smallish guards and SF's. This puts us at a disadvantage many times. Just look at the Okogi matchup. Trapp and Oliver from last year both 6'4, longer than Mitchell, Reed or Devoe. Now Newman at 6'6 and Tyson at 6'7. In the future this will allow for ratcheted up pressure on D, like the good FSU teams have shown

Feb 25, 2018, 10:36 PM

Hate to break it to you bud, we got no chance with Ramey or Harris so I’m not sure why you even mentioned them. However, very encouraging class we have thus far. I know it hasn’t been mentioned but technically Quise and Shelton could bolt for another program after this year and play right away. Any chance of that happening? I’d say unlikely but you never know how things will shake out. Hope they both play their senior seasons here

What? Mitchell and Reed transfer? That's crazy talk!

Feb 25, 2018, 10:53 PM

They've both already transferred once in their careers. It's worked well for both - why would they chance another transfer with so many variables: coaching, PT, fitting in with players, etc? This will be their team next year along with Eli with the opportunity to challenge for the ACC. Makes little sense to me.

Re: What? Mitchell and Reed transfer? That's crazy talk!

Feb 26, 2018, 8:43 AM

I never said they would. Just pointing out something that not a single one of you realized. Take Mark Donnal for example. Take Cam Johnson as another example. Alright I think you get it or maybe you don't but I tried my best

I mentioned them because they are considering Clemson

Feb 25, 2018, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Summary ]

and they haven’t signed with anyone else yet. Of course we might not get them, but then again, we might.

Re: I mentioned them because they are considering Clemson

Feb 26, 2018, 8:48 AM

Judge Keller you always seem to be well informed in basketball discussions but you're not in this one. Tyler Harris put out a top 3 last week of Baylor, Tennessee, Miss St. As for Ramey, he is looking hard at UCLA, Texas, OK St. and others. He won't even take a visit to Clemson so there's that.

Re: I mentioned them because they are considering Clemson

Feb 26, 2018, 10:59 AM

But his list looked better with those players on it. Like we get some kind of credit for including them.

Feb 26, 2018, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Summary ]

I agree he doesnt even list your gamecocks.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Thanks for the information

Feb 26, 2018, 10:14 AM

Judge, thanks for the information. I am glad to know that recruiting is continuing to improve.

By the way, has anyone ever told you that look just like Brownell? Ha ha

Amazing coincidence, isn't it?***

Feb 26, 2018, 4:57 PM

Brad Brownell

Feb 26, 2018, 6:54 PM

My opinion only....

If Brad is to hope to maintain what he's got going on now, it will be through transfers.
Not recruiting. The players we get through HS recruiting take 3 to 4 years to develop, and
by that time, he's starting over again.....j/s

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic