Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
9 yrs ago Littlejohn was one of the toughest venues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

9 yrs ago Littlejohn was one of the toughest venues

Mar 28, 2019, 9:37 AM

in college basketball. What happened? I hate to call people liars, but the revisionist history of fan support etc. for Clemson basketball that some are engaging in is simply not true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/530463-dukes-cameron-indoor-and-the-top-20-home-court-advantages-incollege-hoops#slide9

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the 1 guy (top left) sitting down reading the paper

Mar 28, 2019, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Is that Snowtown?***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Are you seriously trying to imply that Snowtown is

Mar 28, 2019, 10:53 AM

a guy?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

How dare you assume the newspaper reader's gender.***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

To be fair, it was jtiger that said he was a guy

Mar 28, 2019, 11:24 AM

So I was just trusting that jtiger new what he/she/it was talking about.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Looks like Brownell

Mar 28, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Is that Snowtown?*** ]

getting ready to get a technical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love the 1 guy (top left) sitting down reading the paper

Mar 28, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to I love the 1 guy (top left) sitting down reading the paper ]

I was a student from 2008-2012...at times, when the opposing team was being introduced, we would ignore their introduction, not make any noise at all, and sit and read the paper like that guy is doing in that picture. I'm sure that's in reaction to a big dunk or something from the opposing team, not because he's actually disinterested in the game.

Anyway, the biggest reason the home court advantage is not as strong as it was is because of the Littlejohn renovation moving the students off the court. When I was in school, we had a group of about 14-16 people that would camp out for two weeks to get floor seats and we were close enough that the opposing team's players and the refs could hear everything we were saying, and the stuff that we were saying wasn't always kind. It wasn't much, but it went a long way to replicating to noise factor that exists in Death Valley. That cannot and will not exist in the future, no matter who the coach is, and no matter how good the team is, now that the student section has been pushed back and the seats closest to the court are for high-dollar donors and season ticket holders who don't show up to every game, and certainly aren't going to be painting themselves up and screaming for 2 hours straight.

Re: I love the 1 guy (top left) sitting down reading the paper

Mar 29, 2019, 9:26 PM

I started that along with a couple friends in 1978-79 season. You are about 30 years late. We did it on a televised game. We had never seen it before. It was my idea of what to do with a friends footlocker full of wall Street Journals. So we took them to the BB game and handed them out. Told everyone to open them up when the other team was introduced. It became a thing.

I remembered being asked if I ever ate at the "Y"

Mar 28, 2019, 4:33 PM [ in reply to I love the 1 guy (top left) sitting down reading the paper ]

now I finally see what they are talking about...

Nope, never ate there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask Judge Keller. He'll have the answer.

Mar 28, 2019, 10:16 AM

I mean excuse.

I think fan support has very little, if anything to do

Mar 28, 2019, 10:31 AM

with why Clemson has traditionally struggled in basketball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I would make the argument

Mar 28, 2019, 10:39 AM

That Clemson, especially the student body, has changed significantaly in the last nine years! You need only to spend a few hours on campus to see the changes. Support is vital to a basketball teams progress and support from the students is especially needed. Obviously there are more important things to do on campus today than spend a few hours in Littlejohn. The seats needs to be filled with fans and I expect that will be addressed .

This is where you lose everybody. That is complete BS.

Mar 28, 2019, 10:44 AM

The student body has not changed significantly over the last 9 years other than there are more of them and they are losing interest in our basketball program.

Attendance is not mandatory. People have choices. Hopefully, the AD will address the root cause of declining attendance.

Interesting - your first paragraph refutes his theory

Mar 28, 2019, 12:03 PM

Then your second paragraph supports it. It's like
you disagreed, then agreed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you missed his point.

Mar 28, 2019, 12:24 PM

And mine as well.

Re: This is where you lose everybody. That is complete BS.

Mar 30, 2019, 3:52 PM [ in reply to This is where you lose everybody. That is complete BS. ]

What new choices are there for students to partake in during basketball games that haven't been available for the last 10 years?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Student body changes didn't cause us to lose games

Mar 28, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to I would make the argument ]

The old saying goes (my version)... "If you win it, they will come."

Death Valley was not full for every game before Dabo. He started winning and now there is a massive wait list for good season tickets. You can't put the cart before the horse here and expect fans to show up when the team isn't winning. Some die-hards will show no matter what... but it takes a lot more than a few die-hards to fill a football stadium or basketball arena.

In my opinion, our unbridaled mediocrity on the

Mar 28, 2019, 11:29 AM [ in reply to I would make the argument ]

court has contributed significantly to that change. It happened even in football under Hatfield. No doubt, students are different now and have more competing interests, and same is true with casual fans. If you want to rekindle that interest and draw a crowd we're gonna have to inject some excitement and hope into the program.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think that was back when the espn announcers referred to

Mar 28, 2019, 10:51 AM

our crowd as the "Littlejohn Loonies". I remember them saying it was awfully intimidating and they seemed to enjoy commenting on the students that stood behind the backboard.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance

Mar 28, 2019, 10:53 AM

when we are ranked in the top 20 and are playing Duke or UNC.

Guess what? That doesn't make Clemson fans special. Some of you act like our fans deserve a medal for supporting the team when they are ranked and playing another top team. That's ridiculous. Every college basketball fan base in power conferences will do that.

For every example you give of our fans camping out for tickets or selling out Littlejohn, I can give you an example of there being way too many empty seats in Littlejohn. Blaming the coach or players for being boring and not generating enough excitement is a cop out.

Either fans want to support the team, or they don't. Enough with the excuses.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Would you agree that average attendance has gone down?***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:56 AM

It's not even debatable

Mar 28, 2019, 12:05 PM

CBB's first season was the only season while he's been the coach that we've averaged more than 8,000 per game.

It should be noted however that the last 2 seasons are not fair comparisons to past years since the capacity was lowered. There were several sellouts in the 2017-2018 season, and it wasn't just UNC/Duke type games.

Got another one! ***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

It is amazing that a school of

Mar 28, 2019, 11:20 AM

Less than 20,000 students can fill a football stadium with 90,000 fans on a Saturday. It is pitiful that this same enrollment can’t put 10,000 in the basketball arena for a nationally televised game on a weekday evening. Just to much going on I guess or the coach is just to lousy. Not sure which.

It's not hard to figure out.

Mar 28, 2019, 11:40 AM

You make a good argument that our potential for basketball support is tremendously untapped. Obviously, Clemson people love going to Clemson's campus for a a sporting event.

Why not give them something they want to go see?

Blaming the style of play, coaches, and players

Mar 28, 2019, 2:15 PM

for not being entertaining enough is a cop out. We aren't a losing team, and haven't been for quite some time.

We are talking about a team which made the Sweet 16 last year, and was extremely competitive this year. Our team plays hard and provides plenty of excitement. If these last two years aren't enough to cause our fans to support the team well, then maybe you need to start asking yourself if our fans are really capable of getting behind our basketball program.

I didn't. You just make stuff up .

Mar 28, 2019, 3:57 PM

I blame the guy who heads up the program and the athletic director.

When has there ever been 90,000 people in DV?***

Mar 30, 2019, 12:54 AM [ in reply to It is amazing that a school of ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance

Mar 28, 2019, 11:29 AM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

As I, and many others have posted on tnet, back in “my day” Tiger basketball was not very good as far as wins and loses go, but a seat in The basketball arena was not to be had. That is because the students truly cared about the team and coaches and felt it was their duty to support their fellow Tigers regardless of the end result. My how times have changed. Those who call themselves fans sit at home and watch the games closely so they can find fault with the players and display their tremendous knowledge of the game with fellow fans. Rather sickening I think.

Did I read that correctly? Did you really say,

Mar 28, 2019, 12:44 PM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

"Enough with the excuses"??

Im sorry Ms Judge, but that right there is funny stuff.

Again, neither fans nor admin are responsible for showing a capability to win games.

So you have no problem with our basketball program

Mar 28, 2019, 2:29 PM

having the second lowest budget in the ACC? You don't think that lack of spending affects recruiting, day-to-day operations, etc., which ultimately impact our ability to win games?!?

If not, then I hope you will let us know how you feel about all of the money we spend on our football program. After all, if expenses don't result in wins, let's cut that budget dramatically to save some money.

A) I don't think we're second lowest B) We have what we need

Mar 28, 2019, 5:47 PM

to succeed, except for someone who can win enough games.

Our budget has NOTHING to do with being able to win games. We had more than enough talent over the last 9 years to make more than 2 NCAA tournament appearances.

Again, my question for you is

Mar 29, 2019, 9:43 PM

since you don’t seem to think funding impacts recruiting, day-to-day operations, staff, and ultimately wins, are you okay if we stop spending so much on football?

If it doesn’t make a difference, why spend the money?

It's really hard to imagine that people as dumb as you exist

Mar 28, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

But here you are.

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:29 PM

Who are you again?

^^^ just ended a post with "enough with the excuses"

Mar 28, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

irony

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance

Mar 28, 2019, 5:27 PM [ in reply to No one is debating the fact that we have great attendance ]

Judge, pull your head out of the sand dude. I guarantee you....you put a consistent winner on the floor, and Littlejohn will be packed every night.

It doesn’t work the other way around. How that’s not blatantly obvious to you blows my mind.

What defines a “consistent winner?”

Mar 29, 2019, 9:48 PM

We made the Sweet 16 last year, but according to you and others here that doesn’t show enough consistency to expect fans to show up and support the team. We won 20 games this year, making it two years in a row with at least 20 wins. That is only the third time in Clemson basketball history we have won 20 games in back to back seasons (Foster and Purnell were the only others to accomplish that).

I’m sure our team would love to know how consistently they need to be winning for our fans to support them well. So please, let us know what this magic number is.

Re: 9 yrs ago Littlejohn was one of the toughest venues

Mar 28, 2019, 11:29 AM

The style of play is totally different, and the renovation really changed the place. It's not the same with all those folks standing in the bar and not sitting in their seats. It hurts the environment.

love the foto for Cameron

Mar 28, 2019, 11:30 AM

and that it shows Danny Green... his UNC teams went 4-0 in Cameron

Re: love the foto for Cameron

Mar 28, 2019, 11:35 AM

Nobody asked you CORNELL!!!!

?

Mar 28, 2019, 11:47 AM

lost me with that one

Re: ?

Mar 28, 2019, 12:38 PM

Then you clearly do not follow Clemson athletics.

Re: ?

Mar 28, 2019, 1:41 PM

basketball season ticket holder for 7 years... other than that, just a casual fan.. go to one home football game per year

so your attempted insult missed it mark

Unfortunately, I think there has been so much talk about the

Mar 28, 2019, 11:31 AM

lack of fan support for Clemson basketball that it has almost become a self fulfilling prophesy. We had terrible basketball AND football teams for the most part during my four years, but fan support was not an issue. Back then, it was considered school loyalty to attend the games and cheer on the Tigers. If the occasional great winning moment happened, that was just icing on the cake. Unfortunately, the I, Me, Now generation appears to demand much more success to assure their attendance, just a fact of life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, I think there has been so much talk about the

Mar 28, 2019, 12:28 PM

It saddens me to agree with you. As I posted earlier, the university and its students have changed. The haters will disagree but it is very true. You cannot be a Clemson fan when they are winning and a Clemson hater when they lose! Real Clemson men stay on the train and never get off.

GO Tigers. Support IPTAY

Good luck trying to explain this to the masses here.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, I think there has been so much talk about the ]

They just think it's our awful coaches and players who aren't interesting/entertaining/successful enough to generate fan turnout.

Woody Durham

Mar 28, 2019, 11:32 AM

the long time 'voice of the TarHeels' used to call LJ one of the toughest places to play.

he used to always speak admiringly about the crowd and atmosphere in LJ

Re: Woody Durham

Mar 28, 2019, 2:20 PM

Sadly this has changed. Wonder what variable is different now from the past?

Mar 28, 2019, 5:49 PM

When you sit IPTAY down and put the students back from the court, you are asking for trouble. 10% of IPTAY members at the basketball games get up and yell a lot. Most just get up when something special happens. This has not changed since the early 70's. We used to make noise and make it hard on opposing teams, mainly with "600" rabble rousers sitting in bleachers, behind the benches with the band at center court. We would pick out one player and yell bounce each time he dribbled and yell soot when that player did. We would keep it up the whole game, when or lose. Today's students are not crazy enough anymore, and IPTAY is still good at sitting on their hands.

Mar 29, 2019, 8:09 PM

The new configuration should be better for student involvement. Instead of just being in the endzone area, now they are there too but also all along the length of the court opposite the team benches. Theoretically, this should give Clemson a student cheering advantage versus the old set up.

Re: 9 yrs ago Littlejohn was one of the toughest venues

Mar 30, 2019, 3:49 PM

This article refers to a short lived time period in the timeline of Clemson basketball.
The biggest obstacle to success at Clemson is the ACC office. This past seasons' schedule being an example.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic