Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN's Herbstreit says Clemson's playing 'as well as any team' going to BC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN's Herbstreit says Clemson's playing 'as well as any team' going to BC

Nov 8, 2018, 3:39 PM

ESPN's Herbstreit says Clemson's playing 'as well as any team' going to BC

No. 2 Clemson heads to No. 17 Boston College for a primetime division matchup Saturday night (8 p.m./ABC). ESPN's College GameDay will be in town, but with long Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Herbie, hope his boys come to Clemson,

Nov 8, 2018, 3:52 PM

I think that last part about our coaches challenging the team to be physical is in direct response to Des' comments a few weeks ago....lets see if the Tigers take up the challenge. All I know is, I would not want to play on offense for the Eagles in this game. I also want to see our OL come out and maul some guys and run the football. So here is hoping...

Re: I like Herbie, hope his boys come to Clemson,

Nov 8, 2018, 4:50 PM

Agree. Herbie and Pollack typically call it straight, keep it fun, and respect Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN's Herbstreit says Clemson's playing 'as well as any team' going to BC

Nov 8, 2018, 3:59 PM

;)

Re: TNET: ESPN's Herbstreit says Clemson's playing 'as well as any team' going to BC

Nov 8, 2018, 4:39 PM

I wanna get physical, physical......

Nov 8, 2018, 5:26 PM

Anybody who follows college football knows Des Howard doesn't know sh!t about smash mouth football, being a DB or special teams player. He'll likely dodge the obvious to avoid further criticism cause It was nonsense and dead wrong. Our Tigers are ready for anybody. I believe Sat will settle the dubious questions.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't cut the cheese!***

Nov 8, 2018, 5:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Think of this as a 'Bama warm up

Nov 8, 2018, 6:03 PM

I'm not putting BC in the same class as Bama by any means, but BC will be a good measuring stick to see our OL can come out and control the game.

Re: Think of this as a 'Bama warm up

Nov 8, 2018, 6:07 PM

Bingo.....good to see how the big boys play in the trenches. Should be a good one. Strap em on tight boys and show what ya got. Go Tigers

Re: Think of this as a 'Bama warm up

Nov 8, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Think of this as a 'Bama warm up ]

That's right. Clemson has 3 more steps to take this year: Boston College, the CFP semifinals, and the CFP finals. Clear those steps, and you're the greatest college football team in history.

Point of order and a major pet peeve...

Nov 8, 2018, 6:06 PM

The expression "playing as well as any team, QB, RB (or any thing else) in the country" is a worthless statement. If we are playing as well as any team in the country then that means we are playing just as good as everyone else and would indicate we are average. Clemson is not average.

This "as playing as well as" phrase has become the most overused phrase by sports commentators and I really wish they would find a better way of expressing the quality of a team, player, or coach. It is a hollow platitude that uses a lot of words to say nothing special about the subject. I would rather commentators say something like - Clemson is a great team that is playing better than 90% of the other teams in college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Point of order and a major pet peeve...

Nov 8, 2018, 6:24 PM

Dude. Thank you for saying this. Couldn’t agree more. I let is like a safe way to compliment a team without saying they are actually better than anyone else. Let’s me down every time I see it cause I’m like, “but what does that even mean??”

“Clemson playing as well as Alabama.” is what he’s saying.

Nov 8, 2018, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

“As well as any team in the country.” ... obviously includes Alabama.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?***

Nov 8, 2018, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be: "playing better than almost any team in the country"***

Nov 8, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

Nov 9, 2018, 4:48 AM [ in reply to Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

Well I think your are knit picking.. perhaps just looking for something to disagree with.
The man is calling the game he is supposed to be neutral!! He did all he could do to stay neutral and to be real and say Clemson is the far superior team!!! Could you really not tell that?

Nov 9, 2018, 5:22 AM

1965tiger said:

Well I think your are knit picking.. perhaps just looking for something to disagree with.
The man is calling the game he is supposed to be neutral!! He did all he could do to stay neutral and to be real and say Clemson is the far superior team!!! Could you really not tell that?

I'm not knit-picking Kirk Herbstreit. Kirk is one of my favorite commentators and I find him to be an intelligent guy that usually has worth while comments about the college football scene. However, he and just about every other sports commentator have gotten into a lazy habit of using this worthless expression "as good as anybody in the country" to avoid having to specify exactly how good a team/player/coach is. The expression provides no depth of analysis or insight into the topic they are discussing. The word "anybody" = "anyone" which means we could be as good as UTEP, USuC or Alabama. The expression is too broad with no real meaning.

While watching college football this weekend (especially on the Gameday and other pregame shows) take a count of how many times this "as good as anybody in the country" phrase is used. They use it to describe teams, players, and coaches. I bet the phrase will be used no less than 10 times...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2018, 10:15 AM

I still do not agree with you and I think you have to take his comments in the context he was making them, However I appreciate your opinion and your well thought out reply! Go Tigers!

Nov 9, 2018, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

Here's nitpicking, the word is you're, not your. It's a contraction for you are. Your is a pronoun and refers to a person. A common mistake that I see quite often on these posts. About as common as, "their playing as well as anyone in the country. " And I agree, that's a meaningless comparison. Obviously, we're playing better than most others teams. I hope one of the teams we're playing better than is BC. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2018, 10:16 AM

How about this you"re a jerk!

Nov 9, 2018, 10:27 AM

Well, that's OK, but you used a quotation mark in the you're, so does that make you stupid or just careless?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree with your interpretation

Nov 9, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Point of order and a major pet peeve... ]

I see "playing as well as anybody" as meaning "nobody is playing better than". So nobody (including the anointed Alabama) is playing better football than Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 6:36 PM

Get ready for the brawl in Boston. A good ole slobber knocker that turns into the Tigers giving the Eagles an old fashioned a$$ whipping.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Playing as well as" is the long way

Nov 8, 2018, 7:34 PM

No one is playing better than Clemson. It's not an 'average' comment.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Playing as well as" is the long way

Nov 8, 2018, 7:57 PM

Clemson will demoralize BC just like they have done the last 4 or 5 games. This team can hit you in so many ways offensively and defensively that they are NOT playing as well as anyone They are far and above the way others are playing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm willing to bet.....

Nov 8, 2018, 9:10 PM

Dez picks BC. And then with all the finesse of a wrecking ball the tigers prove him wrong. Again.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 9:14 PM

Make no mistake, “best is the standard”, is not just a saying, it’s a way of life. Our boys have been making statements all season long. BC is in for a rude awakening come Saturday night.
63-10 Go Tigers!!!
The R.O.Y bus stops for no one.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:19 PM

Cant believe Hebstreit was able to talk with his head up Bama's aszz.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Herbie just say

Nov 8, 2018, 11:54 PM

The “F” word?? Better not let Dez hear that! Clemson and “Finesse” May make his head explode.

Nov 9, 2018, 3:45 AM

I don't think we can expect a blowout in this game. The past 4 games have been fun, and yes, I do believe we're playing better than anybody else in the country, but we blew out 4 teams that are honestly not very good. We should absolutely win this game, but I believe it will be a hard won victory. My biggest worry is with what should be a very physical game in cold weather, we may see some injury.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:17 AM

Part of me wants the blowout, continue to demonstrate all the facets of our team so you cant just stop one and stop us.

However, this season I've been involved in a game day group text with the mandate that every time we score, a shot is consumed. My liver wants it to be a low score.

Shut up liver, you're fine.

59 to 3

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic