Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't mind a weak ACC...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,382

I don't mind a weak ACC...

Sep 17, 2019, 10:10 AM

It might be an unpopular opinion but I thoroughly enjoy throttling an opponent every week. If the ACC is indeed historically weak this year, then GOOD! Lol. It'll give us an opportunity to set numerous records, give our backups alot of game reps and also have a fresh team come playoff time. We've earned the right to be in this position and shouldn't have to apologize for it. I could care less what the rest of the ACC is going through.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't mind too much either, where it bites us is if we play

Sep 17, 2019, 10:32 AM

and possibly lose outside of conference. Its good to have a couple ACC'rs who are worth their weight just so we have universal credibility. For instance last year Syracuse, had we lost, we would have been outside of the playoff imo, even though we were the best team in the country. But had Pitt been ranked in the top 15 that probably would've gotten us over the hump with the committee b/c we did play a quality opponent in the acc champ game. Clemson has no margin for error this year. I like that too though b/c then you know there's no doubt every week is the biggest game of the year.

Re: I don't mind a weak ACC...

Sep 17, 2019, 11:23 AM

Well it’s a good thing

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a good thing! The other teams need to at least

Sep 17, 2019, 12:05 PM

be competitive!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not a good thing! The other teams need to at least

Sep 17, 2019, 3:10 PM

It’s a good thing the op doesn’t mind the ACC being bad because it is, I swear some people have zero reading comprehension

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 12:11 PM

I like a strong ACC and we still lay a beating on the program. I want to have FSU in the top 5 and beat them by 50 points. I want them to be both "bak" and hopeless. I want USC to be 0-11 (preferred) or 5-6 before facing us... and get a beating. I want UNC in the ACC CG and then beat them... I want the loss of hope to happen in the game, not the weeks before.

Sep 17, 2019, 12:35 PM

I just don't care. It's all about Clemson for me.

A pathetic ACC guarantees we will run the table and make the CFP. Nothing bad about that.

Sep 17, 2019, 12:56 PM

I watch sports to be entertained...and while I am certainly entertained by great plays and wins...having no competition week after week is just boring. I'll even turn a Clemson game off if I get bored with it.

Real competitors/champions want to test their mettle against equal or greater competition...and those are the games I like to watch, win or lose. If I weren't going to the Charlotte game this weekend, that's a game I would otherwise only watch maybe half before I moved on to something else.

Sep 17, 2019, 3:59 PM

Here Here! I always like knowing that going into any contest, we could lose. I enjoy a good challenge in anything, rather it's my sports teams or something personal in my life. It's not like I want Clemson to lessen their game or anything, just wish we were playing a TCU or UCF this week as opposed to Charlotte

Let them eat cake ...

Sep 17, 2019, 1:04 PM

We'll polish the trophies.

Sep 17, 2019, 1:26 PM

Question: Was anyone bored by last season where the average margin of victory of the final 10 games was 36 points?

Sep 17, 2019, 1:44 PM

Clemson's goal is to be as good as possible and not worry about the other teams in the conference. If the other teams in the ACC want to be as good as Clemson, they already have that opportunity. I doubt Duke or North Carolina's basketball teams would like to see us as good as them and defeat them on a regular basis. It's our responsibility to build our own program. That's what Dabo has done with the Tiger football program.

However, I would like to see the other ACC schools be consistent un defeating OOC teams to shut up those who keep harping on our weak conference. Nothing was said about Alabama's weak schedule when they ran roughshod over their SEC opponents nor the patsies the SEC teams play on a regular basis.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 4:07 PM

So you get just as excited about playing teams like Wake Forest and Boston College as FSU when they were good?

I’m a CFB fan. I like seeing Clemson dominate but....I like watching good matchups especially when Clemson is one.

Sep 17, 2019, 7:46 PM

Screw the matchups! Get better and compete harder! Clemson is doing exactly what Clemson needs to do. Tell your coots get bett tincup(jhop83)

Sep 17, 2019, 8:08 PM

So you were as pumped for Syracuse as you were Texas A&M?

Answer that question honestly.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:53 PM

Not sure if that was for me or not: "but yes I was as pumped for Syracuse as I was A&M"! Here is why? Cuse has done nothing but given us fits the last two years! Simple.
Herbstreit doesn't just do any game on Saturday night!

Will be as pumped for Wake Forrest? Probably, especially if Wake keeps winning! N. Carolina was on the verge of being ranked before Wake beat them/Mack Brown has won it all. Yep, will be pumped for that one too!

FSU has the players to compete for a NC; just not the direction currently! So, they are dangerous and will be playing with a: "nothing to lose attitude, everything to gain attitude"! Same for the shamecocks!

And every other opponent who plays Clemson who will go into the game as heavy underdogs! See - I know only the SEC has put more players in the NFL than has the ACC over the last 10 years. So regardless of how high ACC teams are ranked and no matter what SEC homers say - there are plenty of good players in the conference! So you can never count anybody out. Who knows when a team will put it all together! You are far more focused when you are in the "valley of death" than when you are just "strolling along peaceful path"! When you are driving are you more focused going 90 and above(not that I have cough) or when your in a 35! Same principle: They will give you their best and play above their ranking and perception level! So, yep, all of the games are big!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 4:21 PM

I'm ready for the acc to step up. Play some football. Challenge Clemson into the 4th quarter. I like the last minute game saving drive, even though it might cost a win or two.

I'm ready for the acc to step up. Play some football. Challenge Clemson into the 4th quarter. I like the last minute game saving drive, even though it might cost a win or two.

it worked well for FSU for over 2 decades.***

Sep 17, 2019, 7:08 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't mind Either; but

Sep 17, 2019, 7:24 PM

I don't mind a weak ACC either but: A: last bowl season the ACC was 7-5. In 2016 the ACC was 9-3 plus a National Champ!
The other thing: as has been said, "competitors like to compete"! In everything! Pitching quarters. Cards. Most phone numbers at the club. Bowling. You name it.
Next, but not least - "you have zero room for error"! Even this season to be honest with all of you. If the committee thought other teams played better competition and showed up against superior competition they could "potentially"(agree not likely) keep us out the CFP.
Scenario: Ohio St undefeated and wins Big 10. Alabama loses to LSU and does not make the SECCG. LSU beats a previous undefeated Georgia.

Just right there in that scenario "POLITICS" could keep us out. But, now you enter Oklahoma! You can't keep the Big 12 champ out that scores points like a video game.

So who you going to leave out?

The third reason I just gave more than anything is why; it's better to have a strong couple teams in the ACC. I can't stand FSU and hope they never get back right. But, it's deemed a good win even now that they are down. Did you see how UVA celebrated when they beat them last minute?
Same goes with Southern Cal or Michigan or Texas. . . . . some teams it's a quality win no matter how good the team is doing. If Miami and FSU were just 8-4 they would both be ranked b/c of how they recruit and their reputations.
Currently nobody outside of Clemson has that type of national respect! UVA is coming! Syracuse had started on the path to being a consistent winner. I would say Nancy St. is real close as they are good for 8 to 9 wins a year and sometimes a 20 - 25 ranking. But, be better if that constant other team or three was there.

me either

Sep 17, 2019, 7:25 PM

lots of players getting playing time/experience, starters stay fresh, graduate become millionaires, recruits gotta love that

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why Don't Other Join The ACC Then?

Sep 17, 2019, 7:40 PM

Serious. To those who totally disrespect the rest of the ACC(I don't). Why don't they follow the same formula and become national powers? (Sarcasm).

I mean, "it's so easy"! (Sarcasm).

Just say, joing the Big 10 Nebraska ( oh wait you did ) and you don't have to deal with Oklahoma or Texas and the politics!
Maryland - FSU was whipping your tail frequently so was Clemson - Maybe you should joing the Big "slow" 10 and dominate. Oh wait, you did.

Utah had grown into a national power with Urban Meyer and still a very good program now. But, haven't seen the same high places since joining the big old easy Pac 12.

Miami and the Miami swag and all those National Titles - join the weak ACC and you will dominate since this new BCS thing is starting. You and VT can join that conference and only have to deal with FSU and Clemson which will be in the other division so don't worry about nothing. How has that worked out for them? Pitt you have 9 National Titles and you play a Big 10 brand of football - surely you will join the ACC and dominate! How has that worked Pitt Panthers?

Clemson is just making it look easy!

Staff Deserves Credit

Sep 17, 2019, 7:48 PM

You have to be one of those believers of SEC logic if you think the conference defines "the best team"! That's all SEC-logic is - they believe the competition is so good it propels Bama to national titles. Or that one time Auburn. Twice with Urban Meyer and Tebow but Urban did it at Ohio St. so nothing to do with some mystical SEC patch helping win it.
Saban and Meyer have a large part(Saban at LSU and Miles winning with SAban's players) in the perception the SEC enjoys now. Take those two gentlemen away and it's back to the days of Big 10 or ACC teams winning it or Southern CAl or whoever your best west coast team is. That plus the playoffs.

Our coaching staff being realist - create some of the best competition our players will see "ANYWHERE"! Starters to back ups have to go to the practice field and play against some of the best players and most well coached players in college football everyday. Same SEC-logic where iron sharpens iron.

It's true iron sharpens iron! But, you had better not be waiting until you get to the game to create competition. Our coaches don't they challenge our kids beyond what they will likely ever see. Most of the time it has proven to be enough to overcome what they will see in the game.
Shout out to the coaching staff for not preparing these kids - just enough to just win the ACC! But, they prepare them to the point where they can compete and beat anybody!

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,382
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic