Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did we not offer John Morant?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Did we not offer John Morant?

Mar 9, 2019, 9:53 PM

This kid is a helluva basketball player and he’s from Sumter. He’s been all over SportsCenter this year. Tonight is first time I have seen him play and the kid is a stud. Top 5 NBA pick.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t believe we did.

Mar 9, 2019, 9:55 PM

No major college teams did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wow. Good for him that he has put in the

Mar 9, 2019, 9:58 PM

work to become a Lottery Pick. Hard to believe no Major programs picked up that kid.

Re: I don’t believe we did.

Mar 9, 2019, 10:03 PM [ in reply to I don’t believe we did. ]

No major college teams did.

Wrong.

USuCk did.

We missed on him.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiOgcHdyvbgAhVLYK0KHRB6AAkQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestate.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Funiversity-of-south-carolina%2Fusc-mens-basketball%2Farticle227322244.html&psig=AOvVaw2aGMJx48F1ZFAro5LU9dC-&ust=1552273281457097

SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only

Mar 9, 2019, 10:07 PM

because he was from right down the road in Sumter. 352/353 schools "missed on him."

Re: SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only

Mar 9, 2019, 10:12 PM

because he was from right down the road in Sumter. 352/353 schools "missed on him."

Whatever makes you feel better. One day our fan base will have actual standards and not worry about what other teams do or don’t do.

Imagine Nuk Hopkins going to Delaware. Would that be acceptable to you?

Standards. How hard is that?

I SMELL CHICKEN.

Mar 10, 2019, 8:45 AM

STANDARDS. RIGHT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL! Come on now.

Mar 10, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only ]

Nuk was a 4 star recruit. Ja Morant was unrated by every recruiting service.

Re: SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only

Mar 10, 2019, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only ]

Registered 2 years ago and started posting today...

What was your old name?

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Often, when you see a kid of that talent, with no D-1 offers

Mar 9, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to SC was his only D1 offer and that was likely only ]

grades may have been the issue. Not saying that was Murant's problem, but possibly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grades were not his issue

Mar 10, 2019, 1:39 AM

his issue is the perpetual undervaluation of basketball talent in SC. Despite playing on a travel team with other elite talent, he didn't project to this kind of ascension... he was completely a miss because recruiting evals are imperfect, and some players just break out kinda like puberty...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to be a jerk about it.***

Mar 9, 2019, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t believe we did. ]

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: No need to be a jerk about it.***

Mar 10, 2019, 8:42 AM

Not your fault he considers the coots a major school.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did we not offer John Morant?

Mar 9, 2019, 10:08 PM

tigerbum5 said:

This kid is a helluva basketball player and he’s from Sumter. He’s been all over SportsCenter this year. Tonight is first time I have seen him play and the kid is a stud. Top 5 NBA pick.

tigerbum5 said:

He goes by Ja. Not his given name

His given name is Jamel not John...***

Mar 10, 2019, 5:02 PM

Re: Did we not offer John Morant?

Mar 10, 2019, 9:18 AM

If this kid is as strong as you say, and grades were not an issue, then Clemson (THE instate school) missing on him is inexcusable...ESPECIALLY if USC didn't miss on him.

This is a prime example of why we need more staff to help with recruiting.

Mar 10, 2019, 10:44 AM

Analyzing film, helping with communication with recruits, etc is a huge job. Our football team has a huge staff to help with this. Basketball, not so much. There are only so many prospects our coaches can evaluate and spend time visiting.

Re: This is a prime example of why we need more staff to help with recruiting.

Mar 10, 2019, 12:47 PM

His dad is Tee Morant who played at Claflin college and later played professionally abroad. Sometimes blood lines mean something! A kid who likely will be drafted into the NBA with a top three or four pick should never get away from his home state. This upcoming draft will include him and Zion at the top. What a team that ‘would have been’!

Mar 10, 2019, 1:42 PM [ in reply to This is a prime example of why we need more staff to help with recruiting. ]

I see your point Judge, but as a counterpoint this kid was either on the same travel squad or played against Zion’s squad. So our staff HAD to have seen him. In some of the stories about his recruiting this was mentioned. Point is our staff has to get better at judging talent to develop. I admit it is hard to go against the blue bloods for the one and done. Hopefully, changing the rule to allow 18 year olds to go straight to the NBA will start to swing things back to the true student-athletes again.

I hear what you're saying, but it's hard to criticize

Mar 10, 2019, 1:56 PM

our staff for not recognizing his potential, when basically no one else in major college basketball did either. Sure, it would have been great to identify his talent then, but it clearly wasn't obvious or other ACC schools would've been after him too.

Re: I hear what you're saying, but it's hard to criticize

Mar 10, 2019, 2:13 PM

Plus he looks prettt skinny now. He may have been tiny when he was a jr in HS. Look how many people in NC and SC missed on Steph Curry too.

Mar 10, 2019, 2:00 PM [ in reply to This is a prime example of why we need more staff to help with recruiting. ]

Then why do we have 10-12 "suits" on our bench ?? What do they do ?? Basically one per player. Need more staff ??

He was a Larry Nance type recruit

Mar 10, 2019, 2:05 PM

he hit a late growth spurt and so he flew under basically everyone's radar. To his credit he's made the most of his abilities, now packaged in a 6'5 frame. But during most of his recruiting time he was undersized. Would love to have had him though

Why even try?

Mar 10, 2019, 5:08 PM

We don’t got Murray $tate b-ball moneyz.

Their bag men have bologna sammiches in their bags. Oscar Meyer bologna sammiches. Brownlee still bribes with Carolina Pride bologna sammiches. IT’S NO CONTEST!!!

~JKB

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic