Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's The Bear picked FSU as his dark horse to make playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

ESPN's The Bear picked FSU as his dark horse to make playoff

Aug 21, 2018, 9:21 AM

this morning on ATL's 680 The Fan.

Of course the implication is that FSU has a good chance to beat Clemson at Doak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good for him. He had an opinion, and he stuck by it***

Aug 21, 2018, 9:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: ESPN's The Bear picked FSU as his dark horse to make playoff

Aug 21, 2018, 9:28 AM

Does he think they have grown a great O-line in a test tube since last year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they have an offense now that doesn't require the o-line to

Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 AM

hold blocks as long. Jimbo ran a pro style system that requires 5 step drop and a formed pocket. Taggart is more wide open and RPO style that will be quicker at getting the ball out. So to answer your question...they won't need that much of a better Offensive Line.

I think FSU will be undefeated or one loss team when we go to Doak and that game will be for the Division. I think we're better but you can't go in there and not score alot of points. WE ain't winning that game with 21 points.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they have an offense now that doesn't require the o-line to

Aug 21, 2018, 11:05 AM

Yay...glad someone other than me actually has looked at the difference Taggart's system can make to their typical weakness (O-Line). At some point, I guess others will eventually figure out we aren't facing a Jimbo Fisher offense with them next year....that'll be faced game 2. FSU game, it's a whole different ball game to what we normally face....especially if Francois takes back the helm at QB.

Aug 21, 2018, 3:40 PM [ in reply to they have an offense now that doesn't require the o-line to ]

So you think an O line recruited and practiced to block a pro style scheme can turn on a dime and be very athletic blocking on the move in 6 months? I see them putting the ball on the ground quite a bit this year before they get used to all that slight of hand movement, similar to Ga Tech when there is penetration. Now in about 3 years they should be transformed to a quicker, more physical version of Oregon in their glory years and may be pretty scary.

Aug 21, 2018, 6:48 PM

Yeah, but that game is Oct. 27. Even if they drop a few, if Taggart ends up being a good fit (which is an "if"), they could get on a hot streak at the end of the year.

All those athletes didn't vanish into thin air.

Oregon? In their glory years?

Aug 22, 2018, 5:37 AM [ in reply to Re: they have an offense now that doesn't require the o-line to ]

Taggart coached one year at Oregon and went 7-5.

They traded a career 83-23, Natty-winning HC

Aug 21, 2018, 9:31 AM

for a guy with a career losing record and they expect things will turn around in one year.

News flash: they won't.

This is what mystifies me about the whole "Taggart" thing

Aug 21, 2018, 11:20 AM

He has a reputation as a really strong recruiter.

Great ... but how does that help them this year?

Re: They traded a career 83-23, Natty-winning HC

Aug 22, 2018, 4:25 AM [ in reply to They traded a career 83-23, Natty-winning HC ]

The thing you have to look at with Taggart is not what his record is but the programs records that he took over before he got there and his record the last year before he left. He took over dumpster fires everywhere he went and left right before great season to take step up rebuilding jobs. Bobby Petrino and Charlie Strong should be thanking him for the way he left WKU and USF when they took over because he rebuilt both of those.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:35 AM

We might have to name him Pooh Bear after this prediction. The verdict is out on Taggart, and I have yet to be impressed with his successes. He might not last 4 years at FSU, and if that happens, FSU will take years to rebuild that program. Taggart is totally changing the FSU game plan, and that does not usually go well in year ONE.

went pretty well year one at Oregon. They scored like 50 pts

Aug 21, 2018, 9:59 AM

a game but didn't have a defense. FSU has a defense already. Just don't have an offense. I think they're a legit contender for the playoff. Its all up to whether they're beating Clemson.

How is the verdict out on Taggart? He's never really had

Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's The Bear picked FSU as his dark horse to make playoff ]

a top flight job. He typically takes over programs in terrible shape and builds them into solid bowl teams before leaving.

Re: How is the verdict out on Taggart? He's never really had

Aug 21, 2018, 11:22 AM

Oregon is not a "top flight" job ??

He was there for 1 season. What are we really going to

Aug 21, 2018, 1:05 PM

learn from that? One year isn't enough time to see much at all from a program-building standpoint and it's really difficult to glean any information from their season as well because their future 1st round QB missed about half the season. They were 6-2 and averaged 49 PPG with him and 2-4 averaging 15 points without him.

I think the verdict is very, very far from being out on Taggart, but he has a reputation for being a great recruiter, he's a Florida guy that grew up loving FSU, and he's done a nice job turning around some really bad programs in his previous stops. There's plenty to like about Taggart, but there's really no way of knowing how those things are going to translate to being the HC at a top job like FSU.

Guess time will tell ... hard to pull for a guy who quits on

Aug 21, 2018, 3:13 PM

a school that quickly.

Oregon is a great job and he just suddenly bolted to FSU without proving he could actually do it at the highest level.

I'm not a Taggart fan, but that's just on me personally.

Our record at Doak is ungood

Aug 21, 2018, 9:40 AM

We play well but find ways to lose.
Except for 2016, when we should have won by 30 but came back to win by 5.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should've won by 30?

Aug 21, 2018, 12:05 PM

You make it sound like we played terrible in that game. FSU was a solid team that went on to win the Orange Bowl. Beating them in their house was a big feat for us, no matter how many points it was by.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:53 AM

cant stand that they have decided to make that guy an on air personality. Much better with him behind the scenes making the anchors look smarter than they are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2018, 9:59 AM

Interesting! I always enjoy watching him and

Aug 21, 2018, 10:11 AM

Listening to his points of view on Gameday. I guess we’ll see what happens!

That's not exactly going out on a limb.

Aug 21, 2018, 11:00 AM

I think in order to qualify as a dark horse the team has to at least start outside of the top 10 and maybe even a bit lower. Go look at those teams and tell me who else has as much talent and potential as FSU. You've got Michigan at 14, FSU at 19, and mayyyybe USC at 15 although they seemingly have a little rebuilding to do this year.

A true dark horse pick would be like West Virginia (even though I'm not buying them, TCU, or Mississippi State.

In the past I'd say FSU beating us at home was...

Aug 21, 2018, 1:07 PM

highly probable. Not this year. Our defense will score more points than FSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taggart...

Aug 21, 2018, 6:00 PM

...has improved every team he’s coached. And he’s taken over some terrible teams. Don’t let the losing record fool you: he’s never had the talent that he’ll have at his disposal at FSU. They’ll be very good very soon.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taggart...

Aug 21, 2018, 6:52 PM

Exactly. FSU is one of those programs where a rebuild lasts one year. If Taggart is the right guy, they will be back very soon.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic