Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How did you “early birds” become “early birds”
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

How did you “early birds” become “early birds”

Jan 13, 2019, 8:16 AM

I received a job promotion within the last couple of months that is requiring me to be at work by 7am. I worked night shifts/mid day shifts most of my life but this is really hard to get used to. I’ve gotten to where on my days off I still get up around 9-9:30 but 6am is really hard for me to get up to. How do you guys/gals do it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coffee.***

Jan 13, 2019, 8:17 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did you “early birds” become “early birds”

Jan 13, 2019, 8:19 AM

I set my alarm with Englebert Humperdink . Not only do you wake up , but you're so annoyed with that music in your head there's no way you're not alert and ready .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Quando?***

Jan 13, 2019, 11:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 8:20 AM

Kids

Jan 13, 2019, 10:51 AM

This ^ Nothing like kids getting up at 4am, 5am, or 5:30am to reset your life.

That and my job starting "outdoors" at 7am helps too. Still, sleeping past 8am on the weekend is akin to my sleeping past noon back pre-kids.

I got older***

Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 8:25 AM

I had to be at work at 7:45 but I had so many interruptions during my day that if I didn't arrive by 7 I couldn't get my work done. Making myself go to bed early at night gradually started to reset my body clock. Now that I'm retired I can't sleep late. But it's kinda nice to have a couple of quiet hours before hubby wakes up.

Jan 13, 2019, 8:29 AM

And meant to add, my drive to and from work was literally cut in half by avoiding rush hour traffic. What a great side benefit that was!!

The important thing about getting up early is making sure

Jan 13, 2019, 8:30 AM

you don't go to bed LATE.

Got older

Jan 13, 2019, 8:31 AM

More I age, less I sleep, earlier I get up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got older

Jan 13, 2019, 10:11 AM

^^THIS^^ and Mountain Dew!

Re: Got older

Jan 16, 2019, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Got older ]

Good for you! That equation worked bass ackwards for me!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 8:35 AM

Keep your routine for 30 days in a row. You will become acclimated. Plus lots of coffee! Welcome to our world. That brightness you may see is the sun

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 9:36 AM

Keep your routine for 30 days in a row. You will become acclimated. Plus lots of coffee! Welcome to our world. That brightness you may see is the sun

Great advice is do it for 30 days in a row. I made myself get up at 3:00 AM for 30 days and it became a habit. I would get up, have coffee, prayer time and early breakfast before going to work out before work at 6:00 AM. Put in a 10 to 12 hour day, have dinner, quiet time then early to bed. This was my routine for over a year and a half where I worked 7 days a week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: How did you “early birds” become “early birds” ]

Or the reflection of it off of our 3rd National Championship Trophy .

DB23

I am one of those "lucky" people who...

Jan 13, 2019, 9:07 AM

require much sleep. Five hours and I'm good(which is fortunate when sometimes my job required coming in at 1 AM and being back a 7:30). But one secret I learned was setting my radio alarm to LOUD STATIC and putting it far enough away that I had to get up to turn it off. Once your feet touch the floor you tend to wake. And music can become dream background.

Set your alarm and get up when it goes off.

Jan 13, 2019, 9:19 AM

DO NOT HIT SNOOZE. Don't fart around. Don't think about being tired. Just put your feet on the floor and stand up as soon the alarm goes off. Go to bed earlier. I get up at 4:35am and go to the gym before work every weekday. It sucked at first, but after doing that for 5ish years, it's hard NOT to get up early.

^^^THIS!^^^

Jan 16, 2019, 9:35 AM

I retired from my primary career with an early retirement package. Then, immediately took another job that required me to get up an hour earlier than I had my whole career. So, I know a little about what you are feeling. Just like the above reply said, set the clock, and get up when it goes off. Don't even think about laying there going "Woe is me." You will get used to it surprisingly fast. Humans are creatures of habit, so you must develop the new habit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wake up at 5 every morning

Jan 13, 2019, 9:38 AM

Regardless if I have to work or not. Maybe 6 at the latest. You will just get acclimated to it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 9:39 AM

the trick is to start drinking around 4:30 pm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 9:41 AM

That dadgum mortgage payment kept coming due, so I had to learn to get up early, stay up late to complete everything, and then do with very little sleep until the weekend.

Retired now, but I still get up early most days, but probably because I take afternoon naps. :)

Did 27 years in the Army where I had PT first thing in

Jan 13, 2019, 9:57 AM

morning. Some of my units started PT at 0530 and others at 0630. Regardless - I was always at work very early in the morning. The previous poster is correct - go to bed earlier (i.e. 9:00pm or 10:00pm at the latest) and never hit the snooze button on the alarm. The moment that alarm goes off - sit up, put your feet on the floor and get moving...

After my first year in the Army I never needed an alarm clock to get up early - you adjust to it. I'm retired now and I still get up early in the morning (0600 at the latest) - part of that is just getting older and the requirements of an aging bladder (you older folks know what I'm talking about).

Truthfully, I love getting up early in the morning - best time of the day with total quiet and time to read/think about things and plan your day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did 27 years in the Army where I had PT first thing in

Jan 16, 2019, 9:46 AM

My entire career I have run and exercised to start my day. Nothing like pushing yourself to wake you up in the morning. I do follow with a little coffee but after the first year I think my body wakes up expecting to go.

null

Jan 13, 2019, 10:02 AM

Just comes naturally. I like to be awake when much of the world is still sleeping. That said, I live in South Florida. When I wake up and go water the plants in the yard and take my dog for a walk at 5 am, it's 75 degrees or whatever it may be. It's warm. There is no discomfort.

I’ve always done it.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:05 AM

I don’t like it but I’ve always been required to be at work by 7 am for the overwhelming majority of my 20 year working life. A little caffeine helps but be wise with it. You don’t want to get into a habit that puts your health at risk with it. 3 days out of the week I will get up a little earlier and lift weights. Those are probably the days I can handle it the best. Get up and get the heart going in a healthy way.

3 children. Also drove me to my coffee addiction***

Jan 13, 2019, 10:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coffee originally. Now I just have kids

Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 AM

Kids will ensure you never sleep past 7 again your life so getting up at 6 is basically a normal day.

It's a decision. Habit. Will to win.***

Jan 13, 2019, 10:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m up at 5am, at work by 6:30.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:56 AM

Started this voluntarily about twenty years ago. I have about twenty mile drive to work. Very little traffic at that time in the morning. Plus, by going in that early, I get to leave earlier than all the other folks in the afternoon, resulting in less traffic on the way home also. The big bonus, more time in the afternoon to get things (projects) done at home.

Like a previous poster mentioned, it is nice to have some quiet time at work before the rest of the crew comes in.

Good luck with your transition.

Go Tigers!

Jan 13, 2019, 11:47 AM

our son struggled with getting up early, he found an alarm that gradually brings up the lights. It mimics the rising sun and it works like charm for him.

My daddy came into my bedroom one Sat morning...

Jan 16, 2019, 9:19 AM

and told me to get up. I opened one eye and saw the clock and said, 'It's 8 o'clock and I didn't get to bed until after 2. He proceeded to drag me out of the bed by my big toe. I protested but being about 6.0' and weighing about a buck seventy and him being 6'-4 and being about a 50 lbs bigger I submitted. That's not important.

After I grabbed a coffee and met him in the living room I started my protest. He interjected, so rudely, 'You have the relationship between going to bed and getting up all wrong, son. A man gets up when he needs to and his body tells him when it's time to go to bed.'

My dad's been gone for nearly 50 years but he taught me how to get out of bed, go to work and how to work when I got there. The secret seems to be hidden from every generation until a father steps in and tells his sons how a man behaves. I trust this has been a truly revealing exposition.

Sorry for being cruel but I just have to tell it like it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This could have gone a very different way....***

Jan 16, 2019, 9:26 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic