Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How did Neil Diamond become so popular?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

How did Neil Diamond become so popular?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:24 PM

That song (I won't even say the name) was played ad nauseum at the BOA stadium last night. Everytime I go to a karoake bar, "that song" is covered at least 3 times per night. Every generic american sporting event seems to play it at least once.

Personally I cannot F-ing stand "that song" or any of Neil Diamond's other work. Dude is a total hack IMO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:27 PM

Never liked that style of music and voice either JMO!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:31 PM

He put on an unbelievable show in his heyday. You have to be a Senior citizen to respect his music.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:33 PM

I would like to know who you think is not a hack. Please inform us, the ignorant masses who have been listening to music like this for over fifty years, what we are not understanding.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:46 PM

That last guest picker on Game Day. Although I've never heard of him, he's probably very, very good if you don't like Neil Diamond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 2, 2018, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular? ]

Musicians/Bands who are not Hacks:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Rush
Eric Clapton
CCR

Just to name a few. Does that satisfy you? Just because I'm dissing a musician who is older doesn't mean I'm discounting all older music. For reference, I'm 33 and some of the bands above are my in my Top 5 all time. I've never liked Neil Diamond, but did enjoy his cameo in Saving Silverman lmao.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:12 PM

I guess you do not like songs that tell a complete story. I doubt that you could get Paul and Ringo to agree with you. You probably dis on Simon and Garfunkle or Yes.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

Uh, did you even read what I wrote? You act like the re-incarnated tortured soul of deroberts

One of the cool things about music

Dec 2, 2018, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular? ]

Is that there's something for everyone.

I certainly understand how someone would not like Neil Diamond, especially if all they've really been exposed to is Sweet Caroline, America, or some others of his hits.

There's a peculiar cheesy charm to his music that sometimes looks just plain dorky, and admittedly growing up I always thought of him that way. Dad was a fan and I was, at that time, into Megadeth and Maiden so it all sounded so wimpy and cheesy.

But diving into Johnny Cash years later I began to really pay attention to how songs worked and what made them tick. Certainly folks have done so and still walked away without liking Neil Diamond, but for me I began to respect the art of his pop music. Then I gained a totally new respect for him with the 12 Songs album, and revisited even some of his catchier pop songs that seemed so cheesy and found a really well written song hidden in the likes of Songs Sung Blue, or Love On the Rocks, or I Am I Said.

So, to each their own, but to answer your initial question, he became popular by writing really catchy pop songs and performing the heck out of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Respect you opinion dude +1

Dec 3, 2018, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular? ]

But will chime in that Diamond was a song writing genius who was so talented he could write top 10 hits for himself and others, even an orchestra, in his sleep. Hard to do. He wrote and sang songs about hookers and growing weed in the early 70's. It was a much less PC time. Still nothing wrong with the feel-good pop songs you hear from happier more honest times like Sweet Caroline in these days of dark, depressing and dishonest news. Still it's kind of like judging the Beatles and Eric Clapton by only listening to Love Me Do and Lay Down Sally …

No doubt all the groups and musicians you named rock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 3:26 AM [ in reply to Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular? ]

Beatles:OVERATED BoyBand & popmusic
(GOAT R&R BAND LEDZ by a mile)

Because he's a heck of a songwriter and performer

Dec 2, 2018, 10:34 PM

He's cheesy at times, but dude puts on a great show and has some very well written pop songs.

For a slightly different style, but a great glimpse into his songwriting, check out the 12 Songs album produced by Rick Rubin. Really good songwork there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His 1972 “Hot August Night” live album is a classic ...

Dec 2, 2018, 11:41 PM

Like a lot of musical acts that manage to have a long successful career, there is the tendancy to lapse into self parody.

And ultra popular songs like “Sweet Caroline” end up being way over played and loathed by haters.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:36 PM

Its a Pitt thing, they sing it at every home game.... once... whole stadium sings it and it's fun.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:42 PM

Chicks dug him in the 70’s. Most guys dig chicks.......until they get to know them. So it was all just a big unfortunate accident.

Kidding, kidding, kidding..........sorta.

Isn't it a northerner thing? they did it at Penn State

Dec 2, 2018, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: How did Neil Diamond become so popular? ]

(except for that year about Sandusky...the 'touching you, touching me' line was a little ...touchy. heh. Anyway, I also remember hearing it at a Red Sox game. I think they play it at Patriots game.

to me, the Panthers playing it makes sense in a way since it's a play on the whole Caroline/Carolina thing. Otherwise, it's annoying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Yes, seems to be played alot in the northeast, for some

Dec 2, 2018, 10:53 PM

Reason. BC plays it often and the whole fanbase sings along.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:39 PM

Nothing says football more than a Neil Diamond song

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats a great, great live album ... one of the best.***

Dec 2, 2018, 11:46 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGMmmd9Ixs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

Listen to "Solitary Man". Chris Isaak"s cover of it is good, too.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the first team that made it real popular was the Boston Red Sox starting in 2003 and to this day at Fenway. It is played after the bottom of the 7th inning.

It was a lot of fun in that crazy season of 2004 when the Sox finally broke the Curse of the Bambino.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, it's all a matter of opinion.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:36 PM

Personally, I never "got" Neil Diamond at all. I'll admit he wrote and performed a lot of catchy, very popular tunes, and that's no small feat. He was great at that, and I suppose one's appreciation for Neil Diamond would be proportional to one's appreciation for that kind of safe, poppy music.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 3, 2018, 12:04 AM

If you dislike musical genius, disdain song writing ability, cannot stand deep powerful voices, lack depth and introspection, and have no interest in the fairer sex, and appealing to and rocking with women of all age groups, then I can understand why you feel the way you do … just pulling your chain ... it's all relative.

For the rest of you, check out "Hot August Nights" recorded live in 1972 at the outdoor Greek Theater in LA if you like Diamond ... or not. And in 2008 live at Madision Square Garden in his 60's still bringing it ... seems like he's doing OK. Diamond is back.

And Will Ferrell doing some dark dark comedy on Neil on SNL back in 1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIeY4S1h79Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ORnl6QG6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zNyGShhTs

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x692ix

Dec 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

The wimmens have always loved him .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

saw him in concert when I was a kid, many moons ago.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:11 AM

loved him. “girl, you’ll be a woman soon”, “cherry baby”, wrote a bunch of those monkees hits. what’s not to love?
also a friend worked for him at some point - he was a big ole stoner.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:36 AM

So you don’t like his music, why do you have to run him or his song down?
I mean he sold millions of records and is a great song writer!! He sings songs with actual melodies and sings on key!
How many hits have you written? How many records have you sold??

Dec 3, 2018, 12:44 AM

Taste in music is highly generational. People who hit puberty during the heavy metal era, for example, are just not going to care for tunes that let the melody rule the beat.

It's also true that at a certain age, many of us tune out new music. For example, I couldn't name a top 25 current hit with a gun to my head. I would have to say that apart from the few years I drove my grandson to school, that statement of knowing no popular tunes would probably be true for any given point in time for the last 25 or 30 years.

Diamond was around when I was still paying attention and still appreciate his tunes and lyrics
(which, by the way, with Diamond are always intelligible).

Dec 3, 2018, 7:45 AM

If it helps, during the chorus right after "sweet Caroline" you yell: "eat sh!t pitt!" it helps. Everybody will think you're a WVU person, but just don't light any couches and you'll be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 7:46 AM

He is original, talented, with a good voice.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic