Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Long Will Saban Keep Coaching?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

How Long Will Saban Keep Coaching?

Dec 7, 2018, 9:17 PM

I bring this up because while we have ultra-great things going on at CU, Saban & Bama are always the big hurdle we have to clear.

Saban's finishing his 12th season with the Tide - and Nick has brought the "Bear" factor back. If you look at Bama's post-Bryant years, Bama was sometimes very good & sometimes very average to poor. Saban, like Dabo at CU, has brought consistency back to Bama.

If he would just retire, I don't think Bama would maintain at that level. Maybe they would, but until Saban, they did not.

That said, with Snyder's exit from KanST at 79, Nick (& if you count him, Mack Brown @ UNC - same age) are the the 2 deans of power college f.ball - from an age standpoint. Nick (& M.Brown) will both turn 68 during next year's season.

After those 2, Herm Edwards @ ArizST & Cutcliffe @ Duke will be 65 next year. K. Ferentz @ Iowa turns 64 in '19; Mark Dantonio @ MichST will be 63; Steve Addazio @ B.C. will be 60. Those are the oldest coaches @ any program w/even the slightest shot at winning it all or having a decent record.

We DID see the exit of another major coach this year - Urban Meyer. Might not have thought that 1 year ago. Meyer's just 54. Also, Paul Johnson @ GaTech is 61 - but we weren't shocked by his leaving.

So the oldest guy still leading a true superpower is Nick Saban. How much longer will he be Bama's HC? It WILL change the landscape when he leaves.
My guess - and that's all it is - is 5 more years or less. Would not be shocked if it's within 3 years or less - but much beyond 70 - it gets a lot tougher.

Would love to hear what anyone thinks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let's hope not much longer. saban is the best college coach

Dec 7, 2018, 9:22 PM

Of all time imo. Nobody will be able to sustain his level of dominance after he's gone. Dabo will have the most consistent teams in the country after Saban retires.

They are the only team keeping us from racking up the titles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Long Will Saban Keep Coaching?

Dec 7, 2018, 9:23 PM

Till the bag men run out of money?

Urban will be back eventually, maybe at Southern Cal

Dec 7, 2018, 9:24 PM

when they dump Clay Helton. His last "retirement" lasted what, a year?

Dec 7, 2018, 9:27 PM

I think I hope Saban stays for along time so there is no chance of Dabo leaving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is too smart to follow Saban at Alabama. if he gets

Dec 7, 2018, 11:54 PM

Upset about our fans and media he would lose his mind at Bama. He knows how they are.

Dec 7, 2018, 9:30 PM

Until he falls over dead on the side line.

Dec 7, 2018, 9:37 PM

We’d be the Alabama of college football right now if it wasn’t for Alabama.

Dec 7, 2018, 10:26 PM

Dec 8, 2018, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Re: How Long Will Saban Keep Coaching? ]

I know we’d have at least one more trophy. Likely one more too last year...

Dec 7, 2018, 10:27 PM

I think he'll go once he gets the all time national championship record. He's tied with Bear Bryant with 6.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:11 AM

when did Bryant quit?
when did Hayes quit?
when did Bowden quit?
when did Paterno quit?

the biggest of the big seldom simply retire. Saban looks healthy, he will likely he around awhile. let's face it, he ain't doing it for the money anymore.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:15 AM

Hayes didn’t quit.
Paterno and Bowden were run off by impatient and spoiled fan bases.

ithaca said:

when did Bryant quit?
when did Hayes quit?
when did Bowden quit?
when did Paterno quit?

the biggest of the big seldom simply retire. Saban looks healthy, he will likely he around awhile. let's face it, he ain't doing it for the money anymore.

Joe Paterno wasn't "run off" by PSU fans

Dec 8, 2018, 12:21 AM

He was fired by the university after the Jerry Sandusky story broke. It was only 7 years ago..

Re: Joe Paterno wasn't "run off" by PSU fans

Dec 8, 2018, 12:31 AM

Considering 86 was last Natty there (32 years ago, or 25 at the time, but who’s counting) he was on way out. The scandal coincided with a pending departure on its way.

Maybe, but he tried to announce his coming retirement at the

Dec 8, 2018, 12:47 AM

end of that season, and Penn State fired him immediately instead. Hard to imagine they would have thought of doing something like that without the Sandusky stuff coming out.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:48 AM

In my honest opinion, I've always thought Saban was going to stay around till he broke Bear Bryants record (which will be inevitable at some point). Heck, he may stick around another 10 years, which I hope he doesn't because the country has severe Alabama fatigue but you can't deny he has brought the ultimate dynasty to college football.

As much as I think there has been some cheating in the background of that program at times, you still can't deny just how good they are. Granted Saban could've raised them to be better men off the field and at times on the field also. But the dude can coach. After he wins 1 more title, he will have nothing else left to prove except another shot at the NFL coaching gigs which is just a career death sentence for anyone really.

So yeah, he will break Bears record then he gone a few years after. So within the next 5 years he will retire hopefully.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic